Wide Awake (1998 film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Although it was made in 1995, the film was not released until 1998.
- Before this year, bullies were just bullies for no reason, weirdos were just weird, and daredevils weren't afraid of anything. Before this year, people I loved lived forever. I spent this year looking for something and wound up seeing everything around me. It's like I was asleep before and finally woke up. Know what? I'm wide-awake now.
- My name is Joshua A. Beal. I live in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. And I believe two things. Not all angels have wings. And sixth grade's got to be easier than this.
- Joshua A. Beal: My question is about my Aunt Denise. She's not baptized, so that means she's going to hell, right?
- Sister Terry: Uh, no, actually she's not, Joshua.
- Joshua A. Beal: And my dad's best friend, he's not baptized either, and that means *he's* going to hell.
- [kids beginning to clammer nervously]
- Sister Terry: Joshua, I think you misunderstood.
- Student: Oh man! Seth Greenburg rides my bus, he's not baptized...
- Sister Terry: Okay, wait a sec...
- Student #2: Hey, my cousin's going to hell?
- Sister Terry: No, I don't think....
- Student: The family living next door - their whole house is going to hell!
- Sister Terry: No, that's not what it says in the book. If you'll notice, on page 4... Okay, alright, quiet! No one is going to hell!
- Frank Benton: Hey, Josh, is today tomorrow?
- Joshua A. Beal: No, Frank, tomorrow's tomorrow. Today's today, and tomorrow's tomorrow.
- Sister Terry: Joshua, why do you feel the need to do these things?
- Mrs. Beal: [waking him] Joshua. Joshua. Joshua, *please*, you're a 5th grader today, you're almost a man.
- Joshua A. Beal: Those are the kids in my class. Kids in uniforms don't smile very much.
- Joshua A. Beal: [looking across into girls' play yard] I don't know why they put this fence up. Why would anyone want to go over there, anyway?
- Mr. Beal: Joshua, the pope is not God.
- Joshua A. Beal: I know that, but he's his best friend.
- Mr. Beal: We're not going to Rome.
- Sister Terry: Every day at sunset, you'd bow your head to the east and pray, is that right?
- Joshua A. Beal: Uh, I stopped that.
- Sister Terry: Okay, well, what did you think about when you prayed?
- Joshua A. Beal: Nothing mostly. Sometimes, I'd wonder... What made that smell in the carpet?
- First kisses. Outrageous pranks. A teacher with a killer fastball. To survive this year, Joshua Beal will have to stay...
- Meeting your best friend. Finding your favorite teacher. Having your first crush. Remember what it felt like to be...
- A comedy that will raise your spirits and keep you laughing.
- She Had All The Answers... Until Now!
- Denis Leary - Mr. Beal
- Dana Delany - Mrs. Beal
- Joseph Cross - Joshua A. Beal
- Rosie O'Donnell - Sister Terry
- Timothy Reifsnyder - Dave O'Hara
- Robert Loggia - Grandpa Beal
- Camryn Manheim - Sister Sophia
- Vicki Giunta - Sister Beatrice
- Julia Stiles - Neena Beal
- Heather Casler - Hope
- Dan Lauria - Father Peters
- Stefan Niemczyk - Frank Benton
- Michael Pacienza - Freddie Waltman
- Michael Shulman - Robert Brickman
- Jaret Ross Barron - Dan
- Jarrett Abello - John
- Joseph Melito - Billy (Credited as Joseph Melito Jr.)
- Peter A. Urban Jr. - Newman
- Jahmal Curtis - Student
- Michael Craig Bigwood - Little Boy
- Gil Robbins - Cardinal Geary
- Marc H. Glick - Father Sebastian
- Robert K. O'Neill - Young Priest
- Deborah Stern - Mrs. Waltman
- Joey Perillo - Mr. Waltman
- Jerry Walsh - Football Coach
- Liam Mitchell - Gym Teacher
- Charles Techman as Janitor
- Antoine McLean as Wilson
- Arleen Goman as Mrs. Pitman
- Mets Suber as Race Starter
- Gina Allegro - Nun
- Rena Anakwe - Extra
- Pierce Cravens - (singing voice)
- Stephen Dunn - School Boy
- Josh LaBove - Schoolboy
- Patsy Meck - Nun in hallway
- Jamies James Spector - (singing voice)