Wilhelmina of the Netherlands
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wilhelmina Wilhelmina Helena Pauline Maria; 31 August 1880 – 28 November 1962) was Queen of the Netherlands from 1890 until her abdication in 1948.
- For the whole world I became a heroine, very easy, but not complimentary, since I had done nothing in this case, received the most ridiculous letters from places all over the world; especially a steady flow of praises came from France! I have never seen such a exaggerated reaction
- I have done more for the Boers than my fellow countrymen will ever know
- only in the intimacy with mother I could be just a human
- the government did not fulfil the urge in their hearts and felt that the public wished to see me openly revealing my sympathy for our kinsmen; how could I as the head of state!
- Already then, there was in my subconsciousness as unsatisfactoriness about powerlessness, which was accompanied by being locked in a cage, whereby made taking an initiative, of any kind, impossible
- to one of which I am attached by bonds of friendship, to other by ties of common origin
- Queen Wilhelmina and the Boers, 1899 - 1902, MA PCNI dissertation, E.R.J.G. Picard, S1029215, Prof.dr.H. te Velde, 26-06-2018.