Jump to navigation Jump to search
- For none become at once completely vile.
- Translation of Juvenal's Satires, satire ii, line 120 (line 83 in the original: Nemo repente fuit turpissimus).
- None question whence it comes, but come it must.
- The Satires of Juvenal, satire xiv, line 284 (207: Unde habeas quaerit nemo, sed oportet habere).
- In all her charms, set Virtue in their eye,
And let them see their loss, despair, and—die!
- Translation of Persius, Satire III, line 71 (38: Virtutem videant, intabescantque relicta).
Quotes about Gifford
- Gifford's Juvenal [is], probably, take it all in all, the very best version of a classic in the language.
- John Conington, preface to The Satires, Epistles, and Art of poetry of Horace (1869).