Jump to navigation Jump to search
Winnipeg is the capital and largest city of Manitoba, Canada. It is located near the longitudinal centre of North America, at the confluence of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers.
The Winnipeg area was a trading centre for Aboriginal peoples prior to the arrival of Europeans. The first fort was built there in 1738 by French traders. A settlement was later founded by the Selkirk settlers in 1812, the nucleus of which was incorporated as the City of Winnipeg in 1873. Winnipeg is the seventh-largest municipality in Canada, and is the primary municipality of the Winnipeg Capital Region.
- I was amazed how people would wear T-shirts at the windy corner of Portage and Main where the wind comes whistling off the plains. Seeing people wear T-shirts made me feel like a big pansy, I was in a big parka, and you'd see girls in little dresses going down the street. I couldn't understand it.
- Craig Ferguson from The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson commenting on his time spent in Winnipeg in 2004 filming the movie Niagara Motel., Winnipeg Sun, April 2, 2006. Hart Berger reporting.
- If you kids can't keep your heads to yourself, I'm gonna turn this car around, and there'll be no Cape Canaveral for anybody!! [Nelson smacks the back of his head] THAT'S IT! BACK TO WINNIPEG!!
- A father warning his children who are playing around in the back of the car. The Simpsons 3F17 - "Bart On The Road".
- Every salvage mission that's been to this system has disappeared. Even those old pirates out at Winnipeg Drift say it's cursed.
- The character Harper making a remark in EPISODE 112: The Mathematics of Tears in the TV series Andromeda.
- I could, remember when we were in Winnipeg? Six hours, I couldn’t go.
- Paul talking to Jamie about their dog who has to hold it in for hours while trapped in their apartment. "An Angel For Murray" (406) Mad About You.
- With the thermometer at 30 below zero and the wind behind him, a man walking on Main Street in Winnipeg knows which side of him is which.
- Stephen Leacock Source: My Discovery of the West, 1937.
- You've got to remember that west of Winnipeg the ridings the Liberals hold are dominated by people who are either recent Asian immigrants or recent migrants from eastern Canada: people who live in ghettos and who are not integrated into western Canadian society.
- Stephen Harper, The Report newsmagazine, January 22, 2001.