World NGO Day
Jump to navigation Jump to search
World NGO Day is marked on February 27 every year. It is an international day for Non-governmental organizations. World NGO Day aims to inspire people to become more actively involved within NGOs and encourage a greater symbiosis between NGOs and both the public and private sector. The universal concept of the World NGO Day is Celebrate, Commemorate and Collaborate the various NGOs around the world, and the people behind them.
Quotes about World NGO Day
Intergovernmental and regional organization
European External Action Service
- Josep Borrell (2020): On world Non-Governmental Organisation Day, celebrated on 27 February, the European Union applauds the fundamental contribution made by civil society organisations to the promotion of human rights, good governance, democracy and the rule of law.
- Josep Borrell, Vice-President of the European Commission and High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, World NGO Day: Statement by the High Representative/Vice-President Josep Borrell. eeas.europa.eu (February 27, 2020).
- Federica Mogherini (2019): On World NGO Day, we celebrate the relentless and invaluable role of civil society organisations in protecting and fighting for fundamental human rights, democracy, and sustainable development for all. Their continuous commitment to these fundamental values makes their contributions indispensable to the construction of resilient, inclusive and diverse societies.
- Federica Mogherini (2018): On World NGO Day, we celebrate the outstanding role civil society plays in ensuring that fundamental human rights are respected, that no one is left behind. Marking this day is more important than ever as we are living in difficult times for NGOs and for civil society around the world, and space for the defenders of human rights is shrinking. Civil society organisations are a voice for those who are too often not heard. They have the courage to stand up against injustices, even if sometimes with risks for themselves.
- Federica Mogherini (2017): Today we celebrate the World NGO Day, we celebrate the key civil society's contribution to public space and their unique ability to give voice to those who would have gone otherwise unheard. A functioning democracy depends on the right of citizens to exercise freely these rights that are safeguards against conflict and instability as they foster open dialogue and debate in society. NGOs are key drivers of development, conflict prevention and sustainable peace in a world so hard hit by conflict and inequality.
- Federica Mogherini, Vice-President of the European Commission and High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Statement on the occasion of the World NGO Day 2017. eeas.europa.eu (February 27, 2017).
- It is only right that, on just one day, the world should celebrate NGOs and thank them for the tremendous work that they do.
- Andris Piebalgs, European Commissioner for Development, World NGO Day 2018: Let’s Continue to Innovate. finca.org (February 27, 2018).
Council of Europe
- (..)World NGO day serves all of us to reflect and take a good resolution for the future. Let’s engage, let’s connect to each other to build solidarity across the world, to stop polarisation and to build a cohesive society and a cohesive Europe.
- Anna Rurka, President, the Conference of INGOs, Council of Europe, World NGO Day: Statement by Anna Rurka, President of the Conference of INGOs. coe.int (February 27, 2020).
- Helen Clark: (..)UNDP is pleased to join the Government of Finland, UNESCO, UNOPS, the European Commission, and other partners in celebrating the tremendous work of NGOs, and of all the dedicated people working for them in countries around the world. NGOs and civil society networks are powerful forces in advancing development agendas and protecting the rights of poor and marginalized people.
- Helen Clark, 8th Administrator of UNDP and Former Prime Minister of New Zealand, Helen Clark on World NGO Day. youtube.com (February 27, 2014).
- (..)Working for the United Nations for many years I have seen the huge contribution NGOs have made to further the development, peacebuilding and humanitarian goals of the international community and, most importantly, to the lives of people in need. Personally, I believe that a World NGO day is an excellent opportunity to recognize and celebrate the successes of the sector, and also to provide a focus for new ideas.
- Jan Mattsson, Executive Director, United Nations Office for Project Services (now Member of Inspection Panel, The World Bank Group), World NGO Day. aidforum.org (March 01, 2016).
- NGOs are necessary part of landscape of today(..)
- Eric Falt, UNESCO, World NGO Day. youtube.com (February 27, 2014).
- NGOs today are important partners in all works of life(..)
- Aïcha Bah Diallo, Vice president of NGO-UNESCO Liaison Committee, World NGO Day. youtube.com (February 27, 2014).
Commonwealth Parliamentary Association
- ”(..)I hope my message will, in a small way, add to the voices from those who believe that the time has come for the international community, particularly through the United Nations, to designate a day in a year to be known as the World NGO Day..’’, (2012), World NGO Day. wordpress.com (July 2, 2013).
- Dr William Shija, Secretary-General, Commonwealth Parliamentary Association
Countries and cities
- On World NGO Day, we recognise the work of our Australian Non-Government Organisation (NGO) partners in fostering greater prosperity and stability across the Indo-Pacific region and beyond.
- Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Government of Australia,Celebrating Australian NGOs on World NGO Day. dfat.gov.au (February 27, 2019).
- Heidi Hautala (2012): ’’(..)To mark the exceptional and highly valuable work that the NGOs are doing, I warmly support the initiative to establishing an international World NGO Day. The calendar day can also serve as an opportunity to aim towards more capable and strong NGO sector and to ensure that there is also an enabling working environment for these organisations in every part of the world(..)’’, World NGO Day 2012. issuu.com (September 27, 2013).
- Heidi Hautala, Minister for International Development, Minister for Foreign Affairs (Finland), Finland
- World NGO Day's intention is to inspire people to become more actively involved within NGO sector and encourage a greater symbiosis between NGOs and both the public and private sector.
- All India Mahila Congress, World NGO Day. twitter.com (February 27, 2018).
Kingdom of Bahrain
- ”(..)We strongly support this important initiative establishing it as an official international calendar day – World NGO Day."
- H.E. Dr. Fatima bint Mohammed Al Balooshi, Minister of Social Development, Bahrain, World NGO Day 2012. issuu.com (September 27, 2013).
- Today is World NGO Day, I want to thank all Latvian NGOs. NGOs are important partners and support to sustainable Latvia’s future.
- Dace Melbārde, the Latvian Minister for Culture, Kultūras ministre Dace Melbārde sveic Vispasaules NVO dienā!. design.lv (March 01, 2018).
- We celebrate World NGO Day, NGOs help to shape our today’s political environment, develop the economy, provide social service, are involved in environmental conservation, take care of our culture and help people.
- Ināra Mūrniece, Speaker of the Saeima (Latvian Parliament), Saeimas priekšsēdētāja Ināra Mūrniece: darbošanās NVO cilvēkiem dod lielāku pašapziņu un brīvības sajūtu. saeima.lv (March 01, 2016).
- The efforts of civil society organisations to hold governments accountable, insist on good governance and promote other democratic values across the globe have promoted more cohesion among different peoples in the world.
- Godwin Obaseki, Edo State Governor, Nigeria, World NGO Day: Obaseki salutes sacrifices of civil society organisations. vanguardngr.com (February 26, 2018).
- World NGO Day is becoming an increasingly significant international day every year. In Moscow, we have already more than 30 thousand non-profit organizations, which are becoming more and more important for Moscow. You take care of large families, children left without parents, take care of disabled people, pensioners and veterans, or take care of all people who got into trouble.
- Sergey Sobyanin, Mayor of Moscow, Russia, Собянин в день НКО наградил лидеров некоммерческих организаций. tass.ru (February 27, 2018).
- Encouraging NGOs and authorities relationship of all levels can give an excellent result.
- Alexander Beglov, Acting Governor of Saint Petersburg, Город разработает специальные программы развития паллиативной помощи и профилактики бездомностиy. gov.spb.ru (February 27, 2019).
- A vibrant and active civil society is an essential part of any strong democracy. Sweden supports civil society actors globally to curb the trend of its shrinking democratic space
- Annika Ben David, Head of Sweden's delegation to IHRA, Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Sweden, World NGO Day 2018:. twitter.com (February 27, 2018).