Bashar al-Assad (born September 11, 1965) has been president of the Syrian Arab Republic since 2000.
- [The Jews] tried to kill the principles of all religions with the same mentality in which they betrayed Jesus Christ and the same way they tried to betray and kill the Prophet Muhammad.
- There is no such things as "Islamic terrorism," because terrorism differs from Islam. There's just terrorism, not Islamic terrorism. But the term "Islamic terrorism" has become widespread.
- I am president, I don't own the country so they are not my forces.
- Disclaiming responsibility for the killing of 4,000 people by Syrian security forces.
- Quoted in The Week, 10 December 2011, p. 111
- [Enemies of Syria] are the enemies of the people and the enemies of God. And the enemies of God will go to hell.
- We are facing an external attack against us, which is more dangerous than any other previous wars... We are dealing with those who are extremists, who only know the language of killing and criminality.
Quotes about Assad 
- For me he is the last Arab ruler, and Syria is the last Arab country. It is the fortress of the remaining dignity of the Arabs, and that's why I'm proud to be here.
- My patience ran out on President Assad a long time ago. The reason why is because he houses Hamas, he facilitates Hezbollah, suiciders go from his country into Iraq, and he destabilises Lebanon.
External links 
Video clips