Cannabis is a genus of flowering plant believed to be indigenous to Central Asia, China, and the north-west Himalayas. The common name for Cannabis is hemp, although this term is sometimes used to refer only to strains cultivated for "industrial" (non-drug) use. Cannabis plants produce a unique family of compounds called cannabinoids, several of which produce mental and/or physiological effects when consumed. The drug usually comes in the form of dried flowers and leaves (marijuana), resin (hashish), or various extracts. The cultivation or possession of Cannabis for drug purposes is outlawed in most countries. In Australia each state has different rules for the amount of marijuana you can possess before facing criminal charges.
- When I die bury me in smoke
- Phillip Anselmo - DOWN (first album)
- Woman in this scale, the weed in that, Jupiter, hang out thy balance, and weigh them both; and if thou give the preference to woman, all I can say is, the next time Juno ruffles thee—O Jupiter, try the weed.
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton, What Will He Do With It? (1858), Book I, Chapter VI
- Marijuana will not tolerate repression. Tranquillizers and depressants relax the body and release tension, but the state of mind associated with these drugs is "unconsciousness" whereby we escape rather than resolve our dilemmas. Alcoholism is an extreme need of both the body and personality sometimes to release the nervousness that has accumulated and continues to build up to an unbearable degree. It serves the same function for the collective personality for the society as well. A culture in which alcohol and tranquillizers are the prevalent form of release prefers not to witness internal confusion and actually chooses to act without conscious participation, maintaining a semi-numb condition.
- Joan Bello, The Benefits of Marijuana: Physical, Psychological & Spiritual (2007), p. 56
- Marijuana can act as the loosening agent, so that whatever has been banned from consciousness may come cascading forth. To uncover our deceptions without our usual rationalizations can be unpleasant, an experience that has turned many psychologically fragile individuals away from marijuana despite its therapeutic catharsis.
- Joan Bello, The Benefits of Marijuana: Physical, Psychological & Spiritual (2007), p. 50
- For me, it was like this: pronounced antipathy to conversing about matters of practical life, the future, dates, politics. You are fixated on the intellectual sphere as a man possessed may be fixated on the sexual: under its spell, sucked into it.
- Walter Benjamin, "Main features of my first impression of hashish," December 18, 1927, On Hashish (2006), p. 21
- You follow the same paths of thought as before. Only, they appear strewn with roses.
- Walter Benjamin, "Main features of my first impression of hashish," December 18, 1927, On Hashish (2006), p. 22
- Straight people don't know, what you're about
They put you down and shut you out
you gave to me a new belief
and soon the world will love you sweet leaf
- "Cuz if at first you don't succeed, won't hurt to smoke some weed. Now them words are just a little more personal for me. Seeing as how I blew up off of puffing them trees."
- I smoke a bowl when I'm stressed
And then I picture my girl undressed
- Da Molester from a 2010 freestyle
- When you get a mouthful,
That's Hot Lunch
When you smoke a cashed bowl down too much
You need to refill that with buds
Fat-C, I only smoke fresh nugs.
- Fat-C, "Hot Lunch" from the album Fear and Loathing in Minnesota
- Dope gets you through times with no money better than money gets you through times with no dope
- Fat Freddie (from Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers)
- Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope
- Freewheeling Franklin (from Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers)
- Not only is pot way cooler than alcohol, it’s also non-toxic. Dylan Thomas could not have smoked himself to death.
- Greta Gaines, in rhetoric for an end to Marijuana prohibition laws, in "Why Are No Women Celebrity Stoners Willing to Come Out of the Greenhouse?" (16 August 2012)
- The perception that cannabis is a safe drug is a mistaken reaction to a past history of exaggeration of its health risks.
- Wayne Denis Hall and Meredith Engel, "Marijuana can cause mental disorders, loss of intelligence: 20-year study", New York Daily News (7 October 2014)
- let us burn one from end to end
And pass it over to me my friend
Burn it long, we'll burn it slow
To light me up before i go
- Ben Harper, "Burn One Down" from Fight for your Mind (1995)
- Busted? I'm entrusted, man. I don't steal. I heal. We're not getting stoned. We're getting honed. My probation officer's one of my best customers. I'm a prisoner. I'm a prisoner of, uh, war. War on drugs. It's all so negative, man. I mean, the Man's most positive positive-tive is a nega-tive. It's a mega-nega-tive. Right? Let them be low. We are getting high. We're not getting fucked down. We're getting fucked up.
- I think that marijuana should not only be legal, I think it should be a cottage industry. It would be wonderful for the state of Maine. There's some pretty good homegrown dope. I'm sure it would be even better if you could grow it with fertilizers and have greenhouses.
- Excuse me while I light my spliff (spliff)
Good God, I gotta take a lift (lift)
From reality I just can't drift (drift)
That's why I am staying with this riff (riff)
- A young boy called up and asked me if I preferred grass or astroturf … And I told him that I had never smoked astroturf. I guess that I shouldn’t have said that.
- Maybe if all the politicians out there would just take a few minutes to sit back, listen to some Dave Matthews Band, and smoke some pot, maybe the world wouldn't be so fucked up.
- Dave Matthews (15 May 1998)
- The question arises, therefore, why cannabis is so regularly banned in countries where alcohol is permitted. [...] It may be that we can ban cannabis simply because the people who use it, or would do so, carry little weight in social matters and are relatively easy to control, whereas the alcohol user often carries plenty of weight in social matters and is difficult to control, as the U.S. prohibition era showed. It has yet to be shown, however, that the one is more socially or personally disruptive than the other.
- H.B.M Murphy, M.D., Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal. "The Cannabis Habit" (1963). (As quoted in 'Bulletin on Narcotics' by UNDCP)
- "When the stress burns my brain just like acid raindrops, Mary Jane is the only thing that makes the pain stop."
- People Under the Stairs, "Acid Raindrops"
- Let me get to the point
Let's roll another joint
Turn the radio loud
I'm too alone to be proud.
- Tom Petty, "You Don't Know How It Feels"
- There is a myth about such highs: the user has an illusion of great insight, but it does not survive scrutiny in the morning. I am convinced that this is an error, and that the devastating insights achieved when high are real insights; the main problem is putting these insights in a form acceptable to the quite different self that we are when we’re down the next day. Some of the hardest work I’ve ever done has been to put such insights down on tape or in writing. The problem is that ten even more interesting ideas or images have to be lost in the effort of recording one. It is easy to understand why someone might think it’s a waste of effort going to all that trouble to set the thought down, a kind of intrusion of the Protestant Ethic. But since I live almost all my life down I’ve made the effort—successfully, I think. Incidentally, I find that reasonably good insights can be remembered the next day, but only if some effort has been made to set them down another way. If I write the insight down or tell it to someone, then I can remember it with no assistance the following morning; but if I merely say to myself that I must make an effort to remember, I never do.
- Carl Sagan, Marihuana Reconsidered (1971)
- That is not a drug. It's a leaf.
- I smoke two joints in the morning
I smoke two joints at night
I smoke two joints in the afternoon
It makes me feel alright
I smoke two joints in time of peace
And two in time of war
I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints
And then I smoke two more
- Panama Red, Panama Red
He'll steal your woman, then he'll rob your head
Panama Red, Panama Red
On his white horse, Mescalito
He come breezin' through town
I'll bet your woman's up in bed with
- If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe.
- Cannabis, just like morphine, has its usage in medicine. It's unpardonable that authorities forbid sick people access to this medicament and in majesty of law permit to sell cigarettes.
- Make the most of the Indian hemp seed, and sow it everywhere!
- George Washington in a note to his gardener at Mount Vernon (1794), The Writings of George Washington, Volume 33, page 270 (Library of Congress)
- Washington also recorded his concern that the male and female plants be separated:
- May 12-13 1765: Sowed Hemp at Muddy hole by Swamp.
- August 7, 1765: —began to seperate (sic) the Male from the Female Hemp at Do —rather too late.
- Some assert his interest in separating the male and female plants is an indication that he may have used Indian hemp medicinally to treat his chronic tooth aches. Others note that fiber of the male and female hemp plants have different optimum harvest times.
- Some people have said that the aggressiveness that alcohol stimulates, and that is certainly the characteristic of alcohol, is consistent with Western values and Western culture, whereas, for example, the more introspective, meditative, reverie kind of state that marijuana produces, or opium produces, seems more consistent with some of the Eastern cultures than with Western cultures, and maybe some of our discomfort with those drugs has to do with that feeling that this is culturally out of sync with us.
- Andrew Weil, interviewed in Ancient Altered States