- Quotes are arranged alphabetically by author
A - F
- Most of us, no matter what we say, are walking in the dark, whistling in the dark. Nobody knows what is going to happen to him from one moment to the next, or how one will bear it. This is irreducible. And it's true of everybody. Now, it is true that the nature of society is to create, among its citizens, an illusion of safety; but it is also absolutely true that the safety is always necessarily an illusion. Artists are here to disturb the peace.
- ¿Qué es la vida? Un frenesí.
¿Qué es la vida? Una ilusión,
una sombra, una ficción,
y el mayor bien es pequeño;
que toda la vida es sueño,
y los sueños, sueños son.
- What is life? A madness. What is life? An illusion, a shadow, a story. And the greatest good is little enough: for all life is a dream, and dreams themselves are only dreams.
What is this life? A frenzy, an illusion, :
A shadow, a delirium, a fiction. :
The greatest good's but little, and this life:
Is but a dream, and dreams are only dreams. (Spanish wikisource translated by Roy Campbell)
- The world desires illusion (mundus vult decipi)—either the illusion antecedent to reason, which is poetry, or the illusion ...
- Ambition and intrigue abuse the credulity and experience of men lacking all political, economic, and civic knowledge; they adopt pure illusion as reality; they take license for liberty, treachery for patriotism, and vengeance for justice.
- That which is changeless, existent only, and beyond both mind and speech, which shines as the Truth amidst the illusion of the three worlds, is the Brahman according to its real nature. That Brahman is known in samddhi-yoga...
- There is no “me”. There are only these feelings - and these are bigger and deeper than any me. Identity is an illusion, a temporary state. Everyone is searching for it, but it's only a brief reflection in a very shallow pool of time.
- Olivia Dresher in: Olivia Dresher, Victor Munoz Darkness and Light: Private Writing as Art : an Anthology of Contemporary Journals, Dairies, and Notebooks, iUniverse, 2000, p.128
- For those of us who believe in physics, the distinction between past, present, and future is only an illusion, however tenacious this illusion may be.
- Albert Einstein in: V. Alexander Stefan SURSORSAR – Secret Pure Wisdom: On Things QUALB the Giver, the Supreme Being, Whispers to a Human Being, Stefan University Press, 07-Dec-2011, p.164
- The shedding of easy solutions, of comforting illusions may be painful, but it leaves behind it a feeling of freedom and ... the absurd which do not seem in any normal sense of the words, to be noteworthy...
- This has been the cause of a great deal of wasted time and effort, and industry, which needs young men who are healthy, tractable, unpretentious and, I would even say, full of illusions, often receives engineers who are tired out, weak in body, and less ready than one could wish to take modest jobs and work so hard that everything seems easy to them.
- Henri Fayol (1900), in his address to his colleagues in the mineral industry on 23 June 1900, in: Daniel A. Ren, et al. The foundations of Henri Fayol’s administrative theory, Louisiana State University, p.909
- We are what we are
And what we are is an illusion
We love how it feels
Putting on heels
- To help him, he can indicate the possible alternatives, with sincerity and love, without being w:Sentimentalsentimental and without illusion. The knowledge and awareness of the freeing alternatives can reawaken in an individual all his hidden energies and put him on the path to choosing respect for “life” instead of for “death”.
G - L
- It is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that Syren, till she transforms us to beasts.
- Do you see law and order? There is nothing but disorder, and instead of law there is only the illusion of security. It is an illusion because it is built on a long history of injustices: racism, criminality, and the enslavement and genocide of millions.
- Mumia Abu-Jamal, in In the Wake of Terror: Class, Race, Nation, Ethnicity in the Postmodern World, Lexington Books, 2007, p.53
- Commonly, the word "myth" is now used to mean an illusion or a lie, as when we speak of the rumors and myths of the engines that were supposed to run on water instead of gasoline.
- And if workers ever thought that the day would come when personal appropriation of capital would profit all by turning it into a stock of wealth to be shared by all, this illusion is vanishing like so many others.
- You don’t have anything to be jealous of. It's just a job. All the publicity, gossip, innuendo, it's an illusion. This, you and me, is what matters, because it's real.
- It is because the cosmos is meaningless that we must secure our individual illusions of values, direction, and interest by upholding the artificial streams which give us such worlds of salutary illusion. That is — since nothing means anything in itself, we must preserve the proximate and arbitrary background which makes things around us seem as if they did mean something.
M - R
- Groupthink is characterized by a shared "illusion of invulnerability," an exaggerated belief in the competence of the group, a "shared illusion of unanimity" within the group...
- Today's liberals, encouraged by the demise of Marxism, have the illusion that we can finally dispense with the notion of antagonism has become widespread. This belief is fraught with danger, since it leaves us unprepared in the face of unrecognized manifestations of antagonism.
- We favor the simple expression of the complex thought. We are for the large shape because it has the impact of the unequivocal. We wish to reassert the picture plane. We are for flat forms because they destroy illusion and reveal truth.
- A war based not on reason but on passion, not on principle but on politics. Now let me be clear — I suffer no illusions about Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal man. A man who butchers his own people to secure his own power.
- Barack Obama in: Not in Our Name: American Antiwar Speeches, 1846 to the Present, Penn State Press, 16-Jul-2012, p.192
- Acting is illusion , as much illusion as magic is, and not so much a matter of being real.
- Laurence Olivier in : Andrew Evans, Adam Evans Secrets of Performing Confidence: For musicians, singers, actors and dancers, A&C Black, 16 December 2013, p.17
- We trained hard...but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form into teams we would be reorganized [and] I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing: and what a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralization.
- Perhaps these were the errors of others rather than his [Jesus] own; and if it be true that he himself shared the general illusion, what matters it, since his dream rendered him strong against death, and sustained him in a struggle to which he might otherwise have been unequal?
S - Z
- Nirvana is a state of pure bliss and knowledge... It has nothing to do with the individual. The ego or its separation is an illusion. Indeed in a certain sense two "I"'s are identical namely when one disregards all special contents — their Karma. The goal of man is to preserve his Karma and to develop it further... when man dies his Karma lives and creates for itself another carrier.
- Love is a simple thing and a deep thing: it is an act of life and not an illusion. Art is an illusion.
- The fundamental principle of art is deception. A work of art is either an illusion or delusion. It is never an exact reproduction of nature or facts. A portrait which accurately represents an original is not artistic. A painting, a photograph, an engraving is such a disposition of white upon black or of colours as to produce the illusion of relief.
- Dr. C.W. Super in: Science and History Popular Science Vol. 86 June 1915, Bonnier Corporation, Jun 1915, p.588
- When one illusion doesn't work then we become disillusioned and we go around with our antennae up looking for another illusion.
- Anam Thubten in: No Self, No Problem: Awakening to Our True Nature, Shambhala Publications, 11 June 2013, p.88
- The atman believes that "it is a consistent reality, but this is an illusion: There is only one reality, which is that of 'God' (i.e. Brahman). In the classic formula, Âtman is Brahman, but until I have attained 'liberation' I am under the contrary illusion."
- R. Girault, J. Vernette, 'Croire en dialogue', Droguet & Ardant, 1978, p.50 quoted in: Jean-Pierre Marie Yoga And Zen, Philosophies of Despair, w.apropos.org., in Advent, 1993
- The variety of constraints pressing upon man give rise to the illusion of several distinct species that cannot communicate.
- The world is real, not illusory. It exists and endures because of the ignorance of the soul, of the spirit. Maya, cosmic illusion, endured by man as long as he is blinded by ignorance, makes possible the maintenance of the material world.
- Kamil Zvelebil in : The Smile of Murugan: On Tamil Literature of South India, BRILL, 1973,p.228