Have added a number of quotes I'd been accumulating. My first contribution to any of the Wiki projects, so please correct as needed and I will note any conventions I missed...
"There is a devil in every berry of the grape." -- Koran.
I have been searching for this phrase in every online Koran I can find. Nothing like it seems to appear anywhere. Can anyone find chapter and verse for this?
- That should be a hadith.
Any source on this?
I read a very good quote today:
"In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is freedom. In water there is bacteria."
The only issue is, I can't find a reliable source for the quote. I quick Google search gives me Ben Franklin, but I'm just getting a bunch of forum sig line and such; nothing reliable. Plus, I'm skeptical that the word "bacteria" was around in Franklin's day... 184.108.40.206 18:27, 7 December 2007 (UTC)
- You know, I'm looking for that very same thing. And, no, "bacterium" was introduced in 1828, and the idea that bacteria could cause disease (or why mention it) was even later. 220.127.116.11 19:23, 9 January 2008 (UTC)
Is there any actual source for the quote from Plato? (The second one, not "In vino veritas", which he certainly never said in those words, and was presumably quoting a common saying when he said it in Greek.)
Every site selling wine has the quote; they all have his dates but none have anything about where it comes from.
- Good wine is a necessity of life for me.
- Who loves not woman, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long.
- Wine is inspiring and adds greatly to the joy of living.
- Napoleon Bonaparte, French emperor, (1769-1821)
- Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.
- There is a devil in every berry of the grape.
- "I have enjoyed great health at a great age because everyday since I can remember I have consumed a bottle of wine except when I have not felt well. Then I have consumed two bottles."
- A Bishop of Seville Baron.
- Vinum incendit iram - wine causes anger.
- No thing more excellent nor more valuable than wine was ever granted mankind by God.
I highly doubt Plato was a monotheist; this was probably "the gods" rather than "God", if he said it at all.
- "I like best the wine drunk at the cost of others."
- Diogenes the Cynic
- God made only water, but man made wine.
- Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.
- The rich want good wine, the poor, plenty of wine
- Diogenes was asked what wine he liked best, and he answered as I would have done when he said, "Somebody else's."
- Montaigne, French essayist, (1533-1592)
- "Wine is sunlight, held together by water"
- I have often wondered what the vintners buy, one half so precious as the goods they sell
- “Moonlight has pierced the night with her rays; Drink your wine, for you cannot find a better moment; Enjoy yourself and think that one day the moon will shine on the graves of every one of us.”
- The discovery of a good wine is increasingly better for mankind than the discovery of a new star.
- Leonardo da Vinci, Italian artist, (1452-1519)
- I feast on wine and bread, and feasts they are.
- Michelangelo, Italian painter and sculptor, (1475-1564)
- "Wine... the intellectual part of the meal."
- Alexandre Dumas, 1873.
- "Wine is the most civilized thing in the world."
- Ernest Hemingway.
- And that you may the less marvel at my words, Look at the sun's heat that becomes wine when combine with the juice that flows from the vine.
- Dante Alighieri, Italian author, (1265-1321)
- “Wine is bottled poetry.”
- Robert Louis Stevenson
- “Wine gives courage and makes men more apt for passion.”
- Ovid (Ancient Roman classical Poet and Author of Metamorphoses, 43 BC-17)
- O thou invisible spirit of wine, if thou hast no name to be known by, let us call thee—devil! * * * O, that men should put an enemy to their mouths to steal away their brains; that we should, with joy, revel, pleasure and applause, transform ourselves into beasts!
The first part of this quote is from Othello, the Moor of Venice, Act 2, Scene 3. Page 72, lines 266 and 267 in my version. Spoken by Cassio after he has lost his reputation due to attacking someone while drunk. Since I'm not exeactly good at adding quotes correctly I leave it to someone else to put it in. For the second part of the quote (O, that men...into beasts) I have no idea. It's in Othello somewhere, but I could not find it at this time.
- Good wine is a good familiar creature if it well used.
- The only friends who are free from cares are the goblet of wine and a book. Give me wine...that I may for a time forget the cares of the world.
- Hafiz (Shams al-Din Mohammed), Persian Poet, (1380-1388)
- "Penicillin cures, but wine makes people happy."
- Alexander Fleming.
- A waltz and a glass of wine invite an encore.
- Johann Strauss
- They are astoundingly vivid, undeflected, radiantly seethingly alive on the palate, not just larger than life, but realer than reality. Drinking them I have been moved to every emotion under the sun: wonder, sadness in the face of such utter beauty, frustration when the wine was so celestially multifaceted I couldn't assimilate all the flavors, shattering excitement at the sheer electricity, helpless yielding at the total seductiveness, tears of gladness, sorrow, and almost rage at one special wine that was so fiercely beautiful I felt I couldn't rise up high enough to meet it.
- Terry Thiese, Companion Wine Review
- There is no back label with a story on a beer can.
- Ely Callaway, founder of Callaway Winery
- I made wine out of raisins so I wouldn't have to wait for it to age.
- Wine is the most healthful and most hygienic of beverages
- Both to the rich and poor, wine is the happy antidote for sorrow.
- It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.
- Latin saying
- Drink wine, and you will sleep well. Sleep, and you will not sin. Avoid sin, and you will be saved. Ergo, drink wine and be saved.
- Medieval German saying
- When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to Heaven. So, lets all get drunk and go to Heaven.
- Good wine ruins the purse; bad wine ruins the stomach.
- Spanish saying
- When asked what wines he liked to drink he replied, 'That which belongs to another.'
- The wines that one best remembers are not necessarily the finest that one has ever tasted, and the highest quality may fail to delight so much as some far more humble beverage drunk in more favorable surroundings.
- H. Warner Allen, from the wine list of Commander's Palace in New Orleans, LA, courtesy of John McDonald, Dallas, TX
- The best use of bad wine is to drive away poor relations.
- Sometimes when I reflect on all the wine I drink I feel shamed, then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the winery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I don't drink this wine they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, It is better that I drink this wine and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.
- In victory I deserve Champagne, in defeat I need it.
- I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
- Wine never dies. Instead it lives in the soul of the person who consumes it.
- People spend too much time tasting wine; not enough time drinking it
- Andre Tchelistcheff
- I cook with wine, and sometimes I even add it to the food.
- Wine is a puzzle yearning to be solved.
- Aaron B. Sherman