1941 is a 1979 period comedy film directed by Steven Spielberg, written by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale, and featuring an ensemble cast including Dan Aykroyd, Ned Beatty, John Belushi, John Candy, Christopher Lee, and Toshirō Mifune. The film is about a panic in the Los Angeles area after the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor.
- Japanese soldier: [trying to squeeze a large radio into the sub] We've got to figure out how to make these things smaller!
- Loomis: [to Donna] It's big. The biggest one here. You know what else? It's got a lot of range. You know what I mean by range, don't you? I mean, it can stay up for a long time. A very long time. And it's built firm and solid. Because it has to be. Because of its tremendous forward thrust. And when this baby delivers its payload... devastating.
- Joseph: This isn't the state of California, it's a state of insanity.
- Hollis: You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly shit from me. Except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185.
- [To Betty, before she leaves for the USO.]
- Ward: I don't know what they've told you down at the USO, but you're going to be meeting a lot of strange men. Men in uniform. Boys a long way from home, lonely, desperate. They really have one thing on their minds. Show them a good time.
- Frank: If there's one thing I can't stand seeing, it's Americans fighting Americans.
- Maddox: To Hollywood... and glory!
- [Looking at the Japanese sub through binoculars.]
- Angelo: Hey, there's a Kraut on board too. We got the whole damn Axis here.
- Maddox: That's it, let me hear your guns!
- Bill: My guns?
- Maddox: I wanna hear what they sound like, let me hear em! Yang yang yang yang yang yang!
- Bill: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!
- Bill: Kid, you got to get that sub.
- Wally: What sub?
- Bill: The Jap sub.
- Wally: Where?
- Bill: The ocean, lame-o.
- Sergeant Foley: Now, Sarge. What is the loading and firing procedure for the 75-millimeter cannon?
- Frank: [delirious] There are five basic components...
- Sergeant Foley: This is it, pay attention.
- Frank: ...to the new General Electric refrigerator: 1. The freon compressor, 2. The freon tube...
- [The last lines.]
- Frank: You know, this year wasn't the big year of the war, '41. I think the really big year is going to be 1942.
- Joseph: [sighs] It's going to be a long war.