Jump to navigation Jump to search
Abigail Thorn (born 24 April 1993) is a British actress and YouTuber who produces the channel Philosophy Tube.
- Harry Potter is a bit of a bourgeois fantasy.
- Witchcraft, Gender, & Marxism | Philosophy Tube, 26.10.2018
- The other problem with saying that people like that are just a product of their time is that not everyone at that time did think like that, and it kinda lets them off the hook. A lot of people thought that slavery was okay, but you know what: The slaves didn’t. And they said so, pretty loudly and often. So if other people thought that slavery was alright, it wasn’t ‘cause they didn’t know, it’s because they chose not to listen to that. They chose not to know.
- Racism is a full-blown normative theory in its own right. Writing it off as just “hate” which needs “love” to combat it can be a little bit reductionist; it can stop us from understanding it.
- Trauma isn’t always like a lightning bolt where you know that you’ve been hit. Sometimes trauma is like poison that someone slips into your food in little doses and you sit down every night and you eat that poison and you don’t realize that it’s building up inside you until suddenly you stop functioning.
- Men. Abuse. Trauma. | Philosophy Tube ★, 26.07.2019
- One of the advantages of facing the overwhelming, grief-like nature of climate change, is that once we realize it’s all one problem, we have a lot more allies than we thought. If you campaign for migrants’ freedom of movement, you are fighting climate change. If you support indigenous people’s rights to self-determination, if you support your local antifascists and people fighting police brutality, if you support demilitarization and nuclear disarmament… it’s all one planet.
- Climate Grief | Philosophy Tube, 22.08.2019
- I look inside myself and I ask, "Do I feel like a man or a woman?" And the answer is... I feel happy.
- The real meaning of the text, or at least one possible meaning of it, is given by something that is not present in the text itself. Basically, meaning is like jazz. It's about the notes you don't play.
- Ideologies are like arseholes: everyone's got one, we use it every day, but you very rarely look at your own unless something's gone wrong.
- Jordan Peterson's Ideology | Philosophy Tube, 09.04.2021
- When you leave the classroom, politics and metaphysics will come at you at the same time. We're not just doing philosophy for the hell of it. We are tinkering with the engine of the world here.
- Social Constructs | Philosophy Tube, 09.07.2021