Gender is the range of physical, biological, mental and behavioral characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity
- Once Soma, having returned from her alms round
- and having eaten her meal, entered the woods to meditate.
- Deep in the woods, she sat down under a tree.
- The tempter Mara, desirous and capable of arousing fear, wavering and dread,
- and wishing her to interrupt her focused meditation, came to her and said,
- Your intent is difficult, even for the sages;
- Completion cannot be reached by a woman regardless the wisdom reaped."
- Then Soma thought, "Who is this speaking, human or nonhuman?
- Surely it is evil Mara desiring to interrupt my focused meditation."
- Knowing that it was Mara, she said,
- "What does gender matter with regard to a well-composed mind,
- which experiences insight in the light of the dharma?"
- The evil Mara thought, "Soma knows me"
- and sorrowful for the evil, instantly vanished into darkness.
- Gautama BuddhaSoma and Mara An adapation of a translation by C.A.F. Rhys-Davids
- There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
- Paul of Tarsus, Galatians 3:28, The Holy Bible.
- Jesus said to them, "When you make the two into one, and when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, ... then you will enter the kingdom."
- Gospel of Thomas, 22
- Virtue cannot be separated into male and female. ... The difference is one of bodies not of souls.
- Theodoret of Cyrus, as cited in The First Thousand Years: A Global History of Christianity (2012), p. 106
- ...our notions of what a human being is problematically depend on there being two coherent genders. And if someone doesn't comply with either the masculine norm or the feminine norm, their very humaness is called into question.
- Judith Butler The Believer Magazine - Interview - Issue 2.
- The real problem between the sexes is that for men, sex is a gender-underliner, they need it for their egos. We don’t need sex to make us feel we are the person we need to be.
- Carol Clewlow, interview in The Observer newspaper, 19th February 1989; Quoted in: Wendell Scales (2003), 9 1/2 Couples: Life Love Intimacy.
- Women forgive but never forget; men forget but never forgive.
- Robert Jordan, in the Wheel of Time series.
- For the female of the species is more deadly than the male.
- Rudyard Kipling ‘The Female of the Species’, Rudyard Kipling’s Verse (1919).
- As far as I'm concerned, being any gender is a drag.
- Patti Smith, quoted in Levine, Martin P. (1998). Gay Macho, New York: New York University Press.
- Finding a toy that is not marketed either explicitly or subtly (through use of color, for example) by gender has become incredibly difficult.
- Toy ads often defied gender stereotypes by showing girls building and playing airplane captain, and boys cooking in the kitchen.
- Elizabeth Sweet 
- People are born female or male but learn to be girls and boys who grow into women and men. This learned behaviour makes up gender identity and determines gender roles.