A burqa (Urdu: بُرقع) (ˈbʊrqʊʕ, ˈbʊrqɑʕ (also transliterated burkha, bourkha, burka or burqu' from arabic برقع burquʻ or burqaʻ), also known as chadri or paranja in Central Asia) is an enveloping outer garment worn by women in some Islamic traditions to cover their bodies when in public.
The face-veiling portion is usually a rectangular piece of semi-transparent cloth with its top edge attached to a portion of the head-scarf so that the veil hangs down covering the face and can be turned up if the woman wants. In other styles, the niqāb of the veil is attached by one side, and covers the face only below the eyes, allowing the eyes to be seen.
- Terrorists are insane people, clothes also can change one's thoughts sometimes. When we were searching for prisoners who had escaped a detention centre, Melis Turganbayev (the former interior minister) came to me and said that they had been eavesdropping on telephone conversations of wives and mistresses of criminals. Their wives and mistresses wore sacks on their heads and they wanted to organise bombings. If you do not like Kyrgyzstan you can leave our country and go wherever you want. We can pay your travel expenses, even to Syria.
- Almazbek Atambayev, speaking at a press conference — Kyrgyzstan president: 'Women in mini skirts don't become suicide bombers', BBC (13 August 2016)
- In my view, a fully covered woman has little chance of integrating in Germany.
- Angela Merkel, in an interview with the German news organization RedaktionsNetzwerk Deutschland — Merkel says burqa likely hinders integration in Germany, Deutsche Welle (18 August 2016)
- I may not be here to titillate, but I am not sorry if I have that edge. People aren't coming to the theaters to see me in a burqa.
- Mallika Sherawat, Movie Mag International (September 2004)
- Burqa ban: What it means for the West – TCN News
- France's burqa ban – background by Radio France Internationale in English
- The absence of evidence for banning burqas – The Guardian
- The Islamic veil across Europe – BBC
- Beautiful Burqas – slideshow by Life magazine
- "influence of Persian language in Arabic"