Coffee is a brewed beverage prepared from the roasted or baked seeds of several species of an evergreen shrub of the genus Coffea. The two most common sources of coffee beans are the highly regarded Coffea arabica, and the "robusta" form of the hardier Coffea canephora. The latter is resistant to the coffee leaf rust (Hemileia vastatrix), but has a more bitter taste. Coffee plants are cultivated in more than 70 countries, primarily in equatorial Latin America, Southeast Asia, and Africa. Once ripe, coffee "berries" are picked, processed and dried to yield the seeds inside. The seeds are then roasted to varying degrees, depending on the desired flavor, before being ground and brewed to create coffee
- Never drink black coffee at lunch; it will keep you awake in the afternoon.
- Jilly Cooper, How to Survive From Nine to Five, 1970. Quoted in The New Beacon Book of Quotations by Women, ed. Rosalie Maggio.
- "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
- T.S. Eliot, ["The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock," line 51]
- For a writer, it's more essential than food.
- Joan Frank, "Achieving Legal Liftoff", in The San Francisco Examiner Image, 1991. Quoted in The New Beacon Book of Quotations by Women, ed. Rosalie Maggio.
- Coffee comes in five descending stages: Coffee, Java, Jamoke, Joe, and Carbon Remover.
- The voodoo priest and all his powers were as nothing compared to espresso, cappuccino, and mocha, which are stronger than all the religions of the world combined, and perhaps stronger than the human soul itself.
- The influence of coffee in stimulating the genital organs is notorious.
- John Harvey Kellogg (1877) Plain facts for old and young : embracing the natural history and hygiene of organic life.
- Way too much coffee. But if it weren't for the coffee, I'd have no identifiable personality whatsoever.
- David Letterman, in Bill Zehme, "Letterman Lets His Guard Down". Esquire, December 1994. Quoted in Quotationary, ed. Leonard Roy Frank.
- Coffee, which makes the politician wise/And see through all things with his half-shut eyes...
- Alexander Pope, The Rape of the Lock
- She wasn’t certain what the future held, but coffee would be involved if she had any say in the matter.
- Coffee was only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to your slightly older self.
- A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems.
- Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it.
- Kathryn Janeway (Star Trek: Voyager, "Hunters")
- I mentioned the caffeine. I should also note that if coffee does not prevent or inhibit sleep, it will stimulate dream projections, and also aid you in bringing the critical faculties into the dream state.
- Jane Roberts, in The Early Sessions: Book 7, Session 290, Page 70
- The Italian Nerd does not exist (Nerd in the style of Gary Numan and Kraftwerk, of The Feelies and Devo). The Italian male does not feel / recognize the relevance of nerddom. This was felt at the Milan airport as a patrician black-clad gentleman moved the croissant into his mouth with gusto. The nerds, or what was left of them, were offered American coffee.
- David Woodard and Christian Kracht, Five Years (2011)