Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is a 2022 American superhero film featuring the character Doctor Strange. It is the sequel to Doctor Strange (2016) and the 28th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). In the film, Strange protects America Chavez, a teenager capable of traveling the multiverse, from Wanda Maximoff who is seeking Chavez's powers to find alternate versions of her sons.
- Directed by Sam Raimi. Written by Michael Waldron, based on the Marvel Comics featuring the character Doctor Strange.
Dr. Stephen Strange
- It wasn't a dream. … That means … dreams are windows into the lives of our multiversal selves.
- Wanda's gone. She's got the Darkhold, and the Darkhold has her.
- You ever had that dream when you're falling, as if you've been pushed off a tall building? That was probably me.
- "Sinister" Strange, revealing his corruption from the Darkhold to "616" Strange
- This time, it's gonna take more than killing me to kill me!
- "616" Strange, dream-walking in the corpse of "Defender" Strange
- I love you. I love you in every universe.
- "616" Strange to "838" Christine
- I'm going to leave this reality — and go to one where I can be with my children.
- You break the rules and become a hero. I do it and I become the enemy. That doesn't seem fair.
- I blew a hole through the head of the man I loved. And it meant nothing. Do not speak to me of sacrifice, Stephen Strange.
- Know that they’ll be loved.
- "838" Wanda, to her "616" counterpart
- [sees a zombified Doctor Strange approaching] Dream-walking? You hypocrite!
- I opened the Darkhold. I have to close it. No one will ever be tempted by the Darkhold again. [her last words before destroying the Darkhold Castle]
- So … the person you went to ask for help — and told exactly where I am — is the person trying to kill me?
- The Scarlet Witch is a being of unfathomable magic. She can re-write Reality as she chooses — and is prophesied to either rule or annihilate the cosmos.
Professor Charles Xavier
- Just because someone stumbles and loses their way doesn’t mean they're lost forever. We will see what kind of Doctor Strange you are.
Captain Marvel (Earth-838)
- Get the hell outta my universe!
- I'm sorry.
- You caused an incursion — and we're going to fix it. … Unless you're afraid.
- Hello, Stephen.
- Stephen, your arrival here confuses and destabilizes reality. The larger the footprint you leave behind, the greater the risk of an incursion.
- An incursion occurs when the boundary between two universes erodes...and they collide, destroying one...or both...entirely.
- [at the reception following Christine's wedding]
- Christine: It was never gonna work out between us.
- Strange: Why not?
- Christine: Because Stephen…you have to be the one holding the knife. And I always respected you for it, but I couldn't love you for it.
- Strange: How long have you had that one in the barrel?
- Christine: Long time.
- Strange: Yeah, I bet.
- Doctor Strange: Giant monsters I can clearly handle, but what bothers me is that last night, you were in my dream.
- America: That…wasn’t a dream. It was another universe.
- Doctor Strange: (approaching Wanda as she tends to an apple tree) Apples, right?
- Wanda: Eventually. (hands him one of the blossoms, and he sniffs it)
- Doctor Strange: Smells-
- Wanda: Sweet?
- Doctor Strange: I was gonna say real.
- Wanda: Oh it's all very real, thanks. I put the magic behind me.
- Doctor Strange: So I can see.
- Wanda: I knew sooner or later you'd show up, wanting to discuss what happened at Westview. I made mistakes, and people were hurt.
- Doctor Strange: But you put things right in the end and that was never in doubt. I'm not here to talk about Westview.
- Wanda: Then what are you here for?
- Doctor Strange: We need your help.
- Wanda: (sighs and takes the blossom from him) With what?
- Doctor Strange: What do you know about the multiverse?
- Wanda: The multiverse? Viz had his theories. He believed it was real... and dangerous. (throws some of the fallen branches away)
- Doctor Strange: Well he was right about both. We found a girl who can somehow travel across it, but she's being pursued.
- Wanda: Pursued by who?
- Doctor Strange: Some kind of demon, one that covets her power for itself. We've taken her to Kamar-Taj and, we've got our defenses but, we could use an avenger.
- Wanda: There are other avengers.
- Doctor Strange: Yeah, but given the choice between the archer with a mohawk and several bug-themed crime fighters or, one of the most powerful magic-wielders on the planet, its an easy call. (Wanda smiles) Come to Kamar-Taj. (jokingly) We'll get you back on the lunchbox.
- Wanda: (pausing for a moment) What if you brought America here?
- Doctor Strange: (realizing something is up) Here?
- Wanda: Yeah. I know what it's like to be on your own, hunted for abilities you never wanted. And I can protect her. (Strange stops walking beside her. Wanda looks back at him, and he looks down in dismay, realizing that Wanda is the one behind this) You never told me her name, did you?
- Doctor Strange: No. No I didn't.
- Wanda: (nods) You know the hex was the easy part? The lying, not so much. (she uses her magic to remove the illusion of the peaceful apple orchard, showing that the landscape is really a barren wasteland, corrupted by her magic. She herself is now wearing her full scarlet witch gown, but it is different now. The tips of her fingers are blackened and the Darkhold is levitating beside her)
- Doctor Strange: (sees the book) The Darkhold.
- Wanda: You're familiar with the Darkhold?
- Doctor Strange: I know it's the book of the damned, and that it corrupts everything and everyone that it touches. I wonder what it's done to you.
- Wanda: The Darkhold only showed me the truth. Everything I lost can be mine again.
- Doctor Strange: What do you want with America? What do you want with the multiverse?
- Wanda: I'm going to leave this reality, and go to one where I can be with my children.
- Doctor Strange: Wanda, your children aren't real. You created them using magic.
- Wanda: That's what every mother does. (smiles slightly) If you knew there was a universe where you were happy, wouldn't you wanna go there?
- Doctor Strange: I am happy.
- Wanda: I know better than most what self-deception looks like.
- Doctor Strange: What you're doing is a flagrant violation of every natural law and if you take that child's power, she won't survive.
- Wanda: I don't relish hurting anyone, Stephen. But she's not a child. She's a supernatural being. Such raw power could wreak havoc on this and other worlds. Her sacrifice would be for the greater good.
- Doctor Strange: Well you can kiss the lunchbox goodbye because that's the kind of justification our enemies use.
- Wanda: Is it the one you used when you gave Thanos the time stone? (smiles slightly when she sees Strange doesn't have a reply)
- Doctor Strange: That was a war, and I did what I had to do.
- Wanda: You break the rules and become a hero. I do it and I become the enemy. That doesn't seem fair.
- Doctor Strange: What happens now?
- Wanda: Return to Kamar-Taj and prepare to hand over America Chavez by sundown... peacefully. After that, you'll never see me again. (begins to walk away)
- Doctor Strange: And if we don't?
- Wanda: (turns slowly) Then it won't be Wanda who comes for her. It will be the Scarlet Witch.
- Wanda: You have no idea just how reasonable I have been.
- Doctor Strange: Yeah. Book of the Damned, calling yourself a witch, conjuring creatures to abduct a kid. I don’t exactly call that being reasonable.
- Wanda: Sending those creatures after her instead of myself was mercy. And in spite of your hypocrisies and insults, I begged you to safely get out of my way. You have exhausted my patience, but I do hope you understand that even now, what’s about to happen... this is me being reasonable.
- [after America warps herself and Strange-616 to Earth-838]
- Doctor Strange: Did we just turn into paint in one universe?
- America: Yeah. You do not wanna get stuck in there. It's really hard to eat.
- [after Strange and America get captured by the Illuminati and meet 838's Christine]
- Doctor Strange: What were we to each other?
- Christine (838): We...never quite figured that out.
- Doctor Strange: Yep. That sounds right.
- Mr. Fantastic: Wanda, stop. You've possessed an innocent woman, but you can still do the right thing. Let her go. (Wanda just looks at him) Please. I have children of my own, I understand your pain.
- Wanda: Is their mother still alive?
- Mr. Fantastic: Yes.
- Wanda: Good. There will be someone left to raise them.
- Mr. Fantastic: Wanda, Black Bolt can destroy you with one whisper from his mouth. (Black Bolt crosses his arms confidently)
- Wanda: What mouth? (her chaos magic removes Black Bolt's mouth. When he notices it is gone, he panics, and screams internally, killing him. The rest of the Illuminati watch in shock and horror as he falls to the ground, dead)
- Wanda: (notices Tommy and Billy on the couch) Billy, Tommy…
- Billy: (as he and his brother ran out of the couch) MOMMY!!! It’s the witch!!!
- Wanda: (to America) WHAT have you done? (calling after the boys) Wait, boys!
- Wanda (838): (comes down the stairs to stand in front of the boys protectively) It's okay, it's okay.
- Wanda: I am your mother! (uses her powers to move the couch out of the way) Get away from them! (hurls the alternate Wanda into the wall, where she crashes to the floor)
- Doctor Strange: (as America tries to move forward) No! Not yet.
- Tommy and Billy: Mommy! (they begin throwing various objects at Wanda) Get away from our mom! You're not our real mother!
- Wanda: Wait, stop, please-
- Tommy and Billy: Get out of our house! (they continue throwing things at her)
- Wanda: STOP IT! (the boys, frightened, run to hide behind the banister, whimpering in fear. Wanda approaches them, smiling)
- Billy: Please don't hurt us.
- Wanda: (heartbroken, tears falling down her cheeks) I would never hurt you. Never. I would never hurt anyone. I'm not a monster, I- (looks at her scared sons, and the injured Wanda (838), and she steps back, horrified by what she has become) I’m sorry…
- Tommy and Billy: (as Wanda (838) gets up, they rush to her sides) Mom! Are you okay?
- Wanda (838): I'm okay, I'm okay. (meanwhile, Wanda looks devastated, clutching her chest and falling to the ground in tears. Wanda (838) gets up and moves towards her)
- Tommy and Billy: No, no mom! Don't go!
- Wanda (838):(approaches Wanda, who looks down in shame. Wanda (838) touches her chin gently and tilts her head upwards) Know that they'll be loved. (Wanda looks up at her in surprise and America closes the portal)
- Enter a new dimension of Strange.
- The possibilities are Madness.
- Benedict Cumberbatch - Dr. Stephen Strange, Defender Strange, Sinister Strange, Strange Supreme
- Elizabeth Olsen - Wanda Maximoff / Scarlet Witch
- Benedict Wong - Wong
- Xochitl Gomez - America Chavez
- Rachel McAdams - Christine Palmer
- Julian Hilliard - William "Billy" Maximoff
- Jett Klyne - Thomas "Tommy" Maximoff
- Chiwetel Ejiofor - Karl Mordo
- Patrick Stewart - Charles Xavier / Professor X
- Hayley Atwell - Peggy Carter / Captain Carter
- Lashana Lynch - Maria Rambeau / Captain Marvel
- Anson Mount - Blackagar Boltagon / Black Bolt
- John Krasinski - Reed Richards / Mister Fantastic
- Charlize Theron - Clea