Jump to navigation Jump to search
Help is action given to provide various forms of assistance or aid, especially to those in need of such.
- He always pictured himself a libertarian, which to my way of thinking means "I want the liberty to grow rich and you can have the liberty to starve". It's easy to believe that no one should depend on society for help when you yourself happen not to need such help.
- Isaac Asimov, in I. Asimov : A Memoir (1994), p. 308
- Help! I need somebody
Help! Not just anybody
Help! You know I need someone
- (When) When I was younger (When I was young) so much younger than today
(I never need) I never needed anybody's help in any way
(Now) But now these days are gone (These days are gone) and I'm not so self assured
(And now I find) Now I find I've changed my mind, I've opened up the doors
- Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being 'round
Help me get my feet back on the ground
Won't you please, please help me?
- One of the great truths of life is that you can't do all alone. You need help along the way.
- Ben Carson, Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story, p. 10.
- Ayude Dios con lo suyo á cada uno.
- Heaven's help is better than early rising.
- Our wants are various, and nobody has been found able to acquire even the necessaries without the aid of other people, and there is scarcely any Nation that has not stood in need of others. The Almighty himself has made our race such that we should help one another. Should this mutual aid be checked within or without the Nation, it is contrary to Nature.
- Anders Chydenius, The National Gain, §2, 1765.
- "Help!" I heard him mutter, as Landon's teeth dug deeper into his streaming throat. But his cry was unheard; in the wild melée he was not seen, or his fate was uncared for. I saw on the dark face the sickly hue of despair. The lips were convulsed, the eyes protruded; the countenance of the federal captain resembled a hideous mask rather than the face of a human being.
- I shall raise my eyes to the mountains.
- From where will my help come?
- My help is from Jehovah,
- The Maker of heaven and earth.
- You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs, trying to turn itself over but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that?
- Wonder Woman: If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.
- Joe Kelly, Phil Jimene, Wonder Woman vol 2. #170 (She's a Wonder)
- Just because someone stumbles and loses their way, it doesn't mean they're lost forever. Sometimes, we all need a little help.
- Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people's well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them -- even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero.
- Truths would you teach, or save a sinking land?
All fear, none aid you, and few understand.
- Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man (1733-34), Epistle IV, line 264.
- In man's most dark extremity
Oft succor dawns from Heaven.
- Walter Scott, Lord of the Isles (1815), Canto I, Stanza 20.
- Now, ye familiar spirits, that are cull'd
Out of the powerful regions under earth,
Help me this once.
- And he that stands upon a slippery place
Makes nice of no vile hold to stay him up.
- You can get everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want.
- Zig Ziglar Secrets of Closing the Sale (1984)
Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations
- Quotes reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 364-65.
- To the man who himself strives earnestly, God also lends a helping hand.
- Æschylus, Persæ, 742.
- The foolish oft times teach the wise:
I strain too much this string of life, belike,
Meaning to make such music as shall save.
Mine eyes are dim now that they see the truth,
My strength is waned now that my need is most;
Would that I had such help as man must have,
For I shall die, whose life was all men's hope.
- Edwin Arnold, Light of Asia (1879), Book VI, line 109.
- He that wrestles with us strengthens our nerves, and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
- Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
- The careful pilot of my proper woe.
- Lord Byron, Epistle to Augusta, No. 3, Stanza 3.
- If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Into his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.
- Emily Dickinson, Life.
- Homo qui erranti comiter monstrat viam,
Quasi lumen de suo lumine accendit, facit:
Nihilominus ipsi luceat, cum illi accenderit.
- He who civilly shows the way to one who has missed it, is as one who has lighted another's lamp from his own lamp; it none the less gives light to himself when it burns for the other.
- Ennius. Quoted by Cicero. De Officiis. 1. 16.
- God helps him who strives hard.
- Euripides, Eumenidæ.
- Turn, gentle Hermit of the Dale,
And guide my lonely way
To where yon taper cheers the vale
With hospitable ray.
- Oliver Goldsmith, The Vicar of Wakefield, The Hermit, Chapter VIII.
- Light is the task when many share the toil.
- Nabis sine cortice.
- You will swim without cork (without help).
- Horace, Satires, Book I. 4. 120.
- Make two grins grow where there was only a grouch before.
- Elbert Hubbard—Pig-Pen Pete. Why I Ride Horseback.
- Is not a patron, my lord, one who looks with unconcern on a man struggling for life in the water, and when he has reached ground encumbers him with help?
- I want to help you to grow as beautiful as God meant you to be when he thought of you first.
- George MacDonald, The Marquis of Lossie, Chapter XXII.
- Aid the dawning, tongue and pen:
Aid it, hopes of honest men!
- Charles Mackay, Clear the Way.
- God helps those who help themselves.
- Algernon Sidney, Discourse Concerning Government, Chapter II, Part XXIII.
- Charles: You don't understand, it's not a question of being "rusty!" I can flip the switches, I can turn the knobs, but my power doesn't come from here [points to his head], it comes from...here [points to his heart]. And it's broken. I feel like one of my students. Helpless. It was a mistake coming down here , it was a mistake freeing Eric, this whole thing has been one bloody mistake! I'm sorry, Logan, but they sent back the wrong man!
- Logan: You're right! [Xavier stops, surprised to hear him admit this] Actually, it was supposed to be you. But I was the only one who could physically make the trip. And, uh, I don't even know how long I've got here. But I do know that a long time ago-well, actually, a long time from now-I was your most helpless student. And you unlocked my mind. You showed me what I was, you showed me what I could be. I don't know how to do that for you, you're right, I don't! But I think I know someone who might. Look...into my mind.
- Help! (album), a 1965 album by The Beatles
- Help! (film), a 1965 film starring The Beatles
- Mutual aid (organization theory)