Horton Hears a Who! (film)
Horton Hears a Who! also known as Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!, is the 2008 American computer-generated imagery (CGI) movie, directed by Steve Martino and based on the book of the same name by Dr. Seuss. It is the first Dr. Seuss adaptation fully animated using CGI technology.
- A person's a person, no matter how small.
- [in Henry Kissinger's voice] I feel the diplomatic process is beginning to break down.
- I meant what I said, and I said what I meant and an elephant's faithful 100%! That's my code, my motto.
- Come on guys, we're all mammals!
- Hold on, Mr. Mayor. I may have to put up a fight! A frightened elephant can be very dangerous! All right, you've called down the thunder, buddy! Are you hungry for trouble? I'm an all-you-can-eat salad bar, take a bite!
- All right, I gotta get this speck up to the top of Mount Nool A.S.A.P. ("as soon as possible"), whatever that means. Probably "act swiftly awesome pachyderm"! I mean, how hard can that be? [sees a loose rope bridge over a deadly chasm] It's a sheer plummet to certain death.
- I love the smell of bananas in the morning!
- Oh, hi Vlad. [Everyone gasps at this, assuming it to be Vlad Vladikoff the vulture, but it's actually the cute "bunny" one who bakes cookies]
- [Watching the clover about to go into the pot of boiling beezelnut oil] NO!!!
- And most of all, I'd like to thank the Mayor of Whoville, who believed in me from the beginning.
- If you can't see, hear or feel something, it doesn't exist. And believing in "tiny, imaginary people" is just not something we do... [takes her son's clover he was examining after hearing Horton] ...Or tolerate here in the Jungle of Nool.
- (Horton suggested that he'd be able to get someone to believe him) You will do nothing of the sort. You will not breathe a word of this lie to anyone else, especially the children. I do not want you poisoning their minds with this nonsense. Our community has standards, Horton. If you want to remain a part of it, I recommend you follow them. Oh, and have a nice day.
- That Horton is a menace. He has those kids using their imagination. It's sick!
Ned McDodd, the Mayor
- Horton is a giant elephant in the sky! [Everyone looks up] Don't bother looking. He's invisible. And he's the one risking his life to get Whoville, which by the way is a speck on a clover, TO SAFETY!!!
- (Speaking to JoJo in the Hall of Mayors) You know what's awesome? This is awesome. Just look at the men and women hanging on these walls. You, my boy, are part of a family legacy that spans centuries. You know what? Your grandfather was Mayor of Whoville, mm-hmm, and your great-grandmother, that's right, all the way down to your... (cut to various paintings of his male ancestors, including one in a ballerina outfit, which he calls "not-so-great", with the last one depicting a cave Who) ...Great- great-great-great... not-so-great... great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-greeeaat... grandfather. Someday, I hope to join them, and be one of the greats. (see JoJo's quote)
- (after being called a "boob" by the Chairman) He has the nerve to call somebody a boob? I would never call somebody a boob. He's a boob. Look at you. Yuck! Look at your face... and I bet you don't look so good with a stapler in your head! (throws a stapler at a painting of the Chairman, which bounces off and hits him in the face, leaving a staple implanted on his forehead; causing him to scream in pain)
About Horton Hears a Who! (film)
- On the design of the movie, I really felt that Dr. Seuss was our production designer. I got to travel to Audrey Geisel’s (Dr. Seuss’s [Theodor Seuss Geisel] wife) home where Dr. Seuss penned many of his later works. She gave us a wonderful tour and I saw a lot of his artwork on the walls. I saw a couple of sculptures he had done from characters he had drawn. They almost looked like mounted trophies on the wall.
- Steve Martino, "Directing "Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who": Steve Martino", Christian Cinema, December 1, 2008.
Main Voice cast
- 1 Jim Carrey as Horton the Elephant
- 2 Steve Carell as Mayor Ned McDodd
- 3 Carol Burnett as Sour Kangaroo
- 4 Will Arnett as Vlad Vladikoff
- 5 Jesse McCartney as JoJo McDodd
- 6 Seth Rogen as Morton the Mouse
- 7 Dan Fogler as Yummo Wickersham and the Councilman
- 8 Isla Fisher as Doctor Mary Lou LaRue
- 9 Jonah Hill as Tommy
- 10 Amy Poehler as Sally O'Malley
- 11 Jaime Pressly as Mrs. Quilligan
- 12 Niecy Nash as Miss Yelp
Other Voice Cast
- Shelby Adamowsky as Hedy and Hooly McDodd
- Jack Angel as an Old Time Who
- Caitlin Rose Anderson as Helen McDodd
- Emily Anderson as Heather
- Jan Rabson as the Town Cryer
- John Cygan as Who
- Jess Harnell as Another Who
- Debi Derryberry as a Who Mom
- Samantha Droke as Hilda and Holly McDodd
- Karen Disher as a Who child
- Marshall Efron as a Wickersham guard
- Bill Farmer as Willie Bear
- Jason Fricchione as Joe the Construction Worker
- Heather Goldenhersh as a Who girl
- Selena Gomez as Helga McDodd
- Jimmy Haward as Obnoxious Who
- Joey King as Katie
- Christina Martino as Heidi and Haley McDodd
- Ellie Martino as Hanna McDodd
- Laraine Newman as a Glummox mother
- Tim Nordquist as a Wickersham guard
- Colleen O'Shaughnessey as Angela
- Laura Ortiz as Jessica Quilligan
- Joe Pasquale as the Dentist
- Connor Anderson as a Who child