Howard Ray Carey
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Howard Ray Carey (ca 1903-1989) was an author, healer, mystic, Methodist minister, & philosopher, familiar with the esoteric teachings of Alice Bailey & Benjamin Creme, and emergence of the World Teacher prophesied by all major religions.
The Joy of Christ's Coming: From Traditional Religion To Ageless Wisdom (1988)
- To begin with, let me state briefly where I was 35 years ago as an almost typical Methodist minister. Then I will try to outline some of the experiences which kept nudging me on toward where I am today. Back then, at 48 years of age, I was doing what I thought I could to promote world peace and human brotherhood. For example, I worked hard to bring about racial integration in the churches I served as pastor... in the early days of church integration, when some Methodist church members thought it their duty to petition their bishop, seeking to get rid of such a radical pastor... But I did not consider myself radical, even on social issues, just not as cautious as some.
- p. 2
- Then in 1980 Benjamin Creme came to Los Angeles for his first lecture here. Though I was not at the meeting, a member of my group was, and he brought me a copy of the first booklet available then about the reappearance of the Christ. At first reading it seemed a bit too far out. But the more I meditated on it and compared it to DK’s teachings, the more convinced I became. So the next time Creme came to town I was right on hand to hear him and to experience the marvelous energies of the overshadowing of him by Maitreya. This left no doubts in my mind about the validity and unparalleled importance of these events, happening and to happen.
- p. 4
- So in summary you can see that in my experience there has been no sudden blast of enlightenment, no blinding light such as Paul of Tarsus experienced on the Damascus road. Rather I have experienced a series of smaller steps, some taken with no hesitation, others with some fear and trembling.
- p. 5
- Is the second coming of the Christ, or His reappearance, about to take place? Is He already here, in physical form, and soon to appear on international television, as some affirm?... Many of these messages predict that He is coming to blast most of humanity, all but an elect few, with dismay, doom and destruction. But fortunately there is also a far different kind of message coming to us ---- one of hope and joy, of goodwill, and peace. Certainly His coming in Palestine at the beginning of our era was heralded with glad tidings of joy and peace, by the heavenly host of angels, as recorded in the gospel of Luke. And we read that the father of John the Baptist looked to His coming, When the day shall dawn upon us from on high, to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace. (Luke 1:78-9)
- p. 7
- Some of us dare to believe that He is about to show His face to the whole world, and that again it is to be an occurrence to usher in joy, hope and peace. Even away back in the New Testament we have assurances to this effect...
- p. 7
- We also are given indication of the sources of what may be the greatest resistance. Consider these statements: ‘‘It is highly improbable that the reactionary churchmen will be the ones to recognize Him. He may appear in a totally unexpected guise; who is to say whether He will come as a politician, an economist, a leader of the people (arising from the midst of them), a scientist, or an artist.’’ [[Alice Bailey Reappearance of the Christ p. 17)
- p. 11
- This emphasis on sharing, justice, brotherhood, and love is like a powerful refrain, running through His appeal to us, and pointing up another facet of our unique opportunity, another facet of the diamond of our joy, as we begin now to share, and to make known His requirements of sharing, justice, brotherhood and love.
- p. 19
- The Joy of Christ’s Coming, Share International Foundation (1988)
- Journey Into Light and Joy, DeVorss & Company (December 1979)
Quotes about Howard Ray Carey
- Howard Ray Carey is that unusual combination: a Methodist minister who is also a student of the esoteric teachings, and so can shine the revealing light of the esoteric tradition on the symbolic stories and events of the Christian Bible. His is thus a most valuable service. We have been privileged to publish these articles in the monthly magazine Share International, where they have rightly proved enormously informative and inspiring. We are glad to have the opportunity of presenting them in this collected form.