Impeachment of Donald Trump
The first impeachment of Donald Trump occurred when Donald Trump, the 45th president of the United States, was impeached by the House of Representatives of the 116th United States Congress on December 18, 2019. The The second impeachment of Donald Trump occurred on January 13, 2021, one week before his term was due to expire.
- See also: Second impeachment trial of Donald Trump
(in chronological order)
- On January 6, 2021 a violent mob attacked the United States Capitol to obstruct the process of our democracy and stop the counting of presidential electoral votes. This insurrection caused injury, death and destruction in the most sacred space in our Republic. .... The President of the United States summoned this mob, assembled the mob, and lit the flame of this attack. .... There has never been a greater betrayal by a President of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution. I will vote to impeach the President.
- Liz Cheney in King, Ledyard (January 13, 2021). "Read the statement from GOP Rep. Liz Cheney, chair of the House GOP Conference, on why she'll vote to impeach Donald Trump". USA Today. Retrieved on January 13, 2021.
- The mob was fed lies. They were provoked by the President and other powerful people.
- Mitch McConnel, Senate Majority Leader, Republican, quoted by Alex Rogers, Clare Foran (19 January 2021), Mitch McConnell: Capitol Hill mob was 'provoked' by Trump, CNN
- If you look at the preponderance of the legal opinion by scholars over the years … the preponderance of opinion is that yes, an impeachment trial is appropriate after someone leaves office
- Mitt Romney in Romney noncommittal on impeachment vote but says trial is likely constitutional posted January 24, 2021
- Not a single court, not a single judge agreed that the election results were invalid or should be invalidated
- Donald Trump was trying to undermine our election by taking votes away from the American people so that he could remain president, and he was willing to blame and betray anyone, anyone, even his own supporters if they got in the way,"
- Madeleine Dean in Live Updates: Senate convenes for Day 2 of Trump impeachment trial February 10, 2021
- There are only around 2K of them and a lot are useless fat asses or girls
- Trump supporters referring to capital police,exposed during presentation by Stacey Plaskett, Rep from the Virgin Islands, during impeachment proceedings Dramatic new footage reveals Mike Pence being rushed to safety with his wife, daughter and the nuclear football when MAGA mob stormed the Senate chamber - as Dems say Trump's followers wanted to assassinate the VP and Pelosi February 10, 2021
- Watching this is traumatizing. How traumatizing it must have been--and still is--for those who were there. Imagine ignoring this evidence in order to protect the loser who incited these murderous thugs so you can hang on to your own corrupt power.
- It feels like having watched all of that, cinematic heart-stopping new video that showed just how close Speaker Pelosi, Mitt Romney being whisked away just minutes by Officer Goodman, minutes before he would have been in danger, the Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer running up a ramp and having to run back down the ramp because the insurrectionists were basically right behind him. The hunting of Mike Pence, which might have been the most jarring part of the presentation. He’s literally hiding with his family in a room where he is accessible, where the speaker is accessible
- The damage done to this building is a stain on all of us and on the dignity of our democracy...
- What if president Trump was successful? If he had succeeded in overturning the will of the people?
- The world watched President Trump tell his big lie. The world watched his supporters come to Washington at his invitation and the world watched as he told his supporters to come here to the Capitol, President Trump, our commander in chief at the time, failed to take any action to defend us, as he utterly failed in his duty to preserve, protect and defend, and now the world is watching us wondering whether our constitutional republic will respond the way it should … whether the rule of law will prevail over mob rule. The answer to that question has consequences far beyond our own borders.
- Joaquin Castro in Live coverage: Democrats conclude case against Trump February 11, 2021
- The mob was fed lies. They were provoked by the president and other powerful people, and they tried to use fear and violence to stop a specific proceeding of the first branch of the federal government, which they did not like
- I think it’s [25th Amendment] a waste of time. And I think impeachment is a waste of time.
- I think he’s going to find himself further and further isolated. I think his business is suffering at this point. I think he’s lost any sort of political viability he was going to have. I think he’s lost his social media, which meant the world to him. I mean, I think he’s lost the things that really could have kept him moving.
- Senators! This trial is not about Donald Trump, the country and the world know who Donald Trump is! This trial is about who we are... who we are