Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is a 1989 film and the third film in the Indiana Jones film series about archeologist and adventurer Indiana Jones on the search to rescue his father and find the Holy Grail before the Nazis do.
- Directed by Steven Spielberg. Written by Jeffrey Boam, based on a story by George Lucas and Menno Meyjes.
Have the Adventure of Your Life Keeping Up With The Joneses. Taglines
Henry "Indiana" Jones, Jr.
- Archeology is the search for fact, not truth. If it's truth you're interested in, Dr. Tyree's philosophy class is right down the hall. [the students laugh] So forget any ideas you've got about lost cities, exotic travel, and digging up the world. We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and X never ever marks the spot. 70% of all archaeology is done in the library. Researching. Reading. We cannot afford to take mythology at face value.
- [To passengers, after tossing Colonel Vogel out of the zeppelin] No ticket!
- [after making a German plane crash by frightening seagulls into the sky] I suddenly remembered my Charlemagne: "Let my armies be the rocks and the trees - and the birds in the sky."
- [At a Nazi rally in Berlin] My boy, we're pilgrims in an unholy land.
- Panama Hat: Small world Dr. Jones.
- Indiana Jones: Too small for two of us.
- [Panama Hat finds the Cross of Coronado in Indiana's pocket.]
- Panama Hat: This is the second time I've had to reclaim my property from you.
- Indiana Jones: That belongs in a museum!
- Panama Hat: So do you!
- Nazi Commander: [to Indiana Jones] You have the diary in your pocket.
- Henry Jones: [laughs] You dolt! Do you really think my son is that stupid to bring my diary all the way back here? ... Y- you didn't, did you?... You didn't bring it, did you?
- Indiana Jones: Well, uh...
- Henry Jones: YOU DID...?
- Indiana Jones: Look, can we discuss this later?
- Henry Jones: I should have mailed it to the Marx Brothers!
- [the Nazis claim they have a lead on Marcus Brody]
- Indiana Jones: The hell you will! He's got a two-day head start on you, which is more than he needs. Brody's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan. He speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom. He'll blend in, disappear. You'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the Grail already.
- [Cut to Marcus in İskenderun]
- Marcus Brody: Does anyone here speak English? Or even Ancient Greek? Uh, water? No thank you, sir. No. Fish make love in it. Thank you so much. No, I really don't want... No, no, thank you very much. No thank you, madam. I'm a vegetarian. Does anyone understand a word I'm saying here?!
- [Indy and Henry ride to a crossroad on a motorbike and sidecar.]
- Henry Jones Sr.: We're going the wrong way. We have to get to Berlin.
- Indiana Jones: Brody's this way.
- Henry: My diary's in Berlin.
- Indiana: We don't need the diary, Dad. Marcus has the map!
- Henry: There is more in the diary than just the map.
- Indiana: [cuts the motorbike's engine] Alright, Dad. Tell me.
- Henry: Well, he who finds the Grail, must face the final challenge.
- Indiana: What final challenge?
- Henry: Three devices of such lethal cunning.
- Indiana: Booby traps?
- Henry: Oh yes! But I found the clues that will safely take US through, in the chronicles of Saint Anselm.
- Indiana: Well, what are they? [Henry Sr. tries to recall] Can't you remember?
- Henry: I wrote them down in my diary, so that I wouldn't have to remember them.
- Indiana: Half the German Army's on our tail, and you want me to go to Berlin? Into the lion's den?
- Henry: Yes! The only thing that matters, is the Grail.
- Indiana: What about Marcus?
- Henry: Marcus would agree with me!
- Indiana: Two selfless martyrs. Jesus Christ- [Henry Sr. slaps Indy]
- Henry: That's for blasphemy! The quest for the Grail is not archaeology; it's a race against evil! If it is captured by the Nazis, the armies of darkness will march all over the face of the Earth! Do you understand me?
- Indiana: This is an obsession, Dad! I never understood it. Never! Neither did Mom.
- Henry: [clearly hurt] Oh yes she did. Only too well. Unfortunately, she kept her illness from me. Until all I could do was mourn her.
- Indiana Jones: Shooting me won't get you anywhere.
- Walter Donovan: You know something, Doctor Jones? You're absolutely right. [shoots Henry]
- Jones: Dad? Dad?!
- Henry Jones Sr.: Junior...
- Elsa Schneider: No!
- Donovan: GET BACK! [Indiana sets his father down on the floor; Sallah gives him a handkerchief to suppress the blood flow; Indiana, infuriated, turns to face Donovan] You can't save him when you're dead. The healing power of the Grail is the only thing that can save your father now. It's time to ask yourself what you believe.
- [Donovan has just died from drinking from a grail Schneider chose for him]
- Grail Knight: He chose... poorly.
- [Indy and Schneider go to the bank of grails and plates]
- Elsa Schneider: It would not be made out of gold.
- Indiana Jones: That's the cup of a carpenter. [looks at nondescript cup hidden deeply in the display and picks it up] There's only one way to find out. [glances at knight, fills cup and drinks]
- Grail Knight: You have chosen... wisely. But the Grail cannot pass beyond the Great Seal. That is the boundary, and the price of immortality.
- Sallah: Please — what is always with this "Junior"?
- Henry Jones Sr.: That's his name: "Henry Jones, Junior."
- Indiana Jones: I like "Indiana."
- Henry Jones: We named the dog Indiana.
- Marcus Brody: May we go home now, please?
- Sallah: The dog? You are named after the dog? [laughs]
- Indiana: [coldly] I've got a lot of fond memories with that dog.
About Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- The Ark of the Covenant was perfect. The Sankara Stones were way too esoteric. The Holy Grail was sort of feeble—but, at the same time, we put the father in there to cover for it. I mean, the whole reason it became a dad movie was because I was scared to hell that there wasn’t enough power behind the Holy Grail to carry a movie. So we kept pushing to have it function on some level—and to make it function for a father and a son. To make it that kind of a movie was the big risk and the big challenge, but also the thing that pulled it out of the fire. So, at the end of it, I was like, No more of these, baby. We’re done. I can’t think of anything else. We barely got by on the last one!
- Harrison Ford - Henry "Indiana" Jones Jr.
- Sean Connery - Henry Jones Sr.
- Alison Doody - Dr. Elsa Schneider
- Julian Glover - Walter Donovan
- John Rhys-Davies - Sallah
- Denholm Elliott - Marcus Brody
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull