InuYasha, also known as InuYasha, a Feudal Fairy Tale, is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Rumiko Takahashi. It premiered in Weekly Shōnen Sunday on November 13, 1996 and concluded on June 18, 2008. In 2010, a seventh season (titled InuYasha: The Final Act) was produced, finishing the last eight volumes of the manga with 26 episodes.
- 1 Season One
- 1.1 The Girl Who Overcame Time and the Boy Who Was Overcome
- 1.2 Seekers of the Sacred Jewel
- 1.3 Down to Rabbit Hole and Back Again
- 1.4 Yura of the Demon-Hair
- 1.5 Aristocratic Assassin, Sesshomaru
- 1.6 Tetsusaiga, the Phantom Sword
- 1.7 Showdown: Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru
- 1.8 Phantom Showdown: Tetsusaiga vs. the Thunder Brothers
- 1.9 Terror of the Ancient Noh Mask [Episode 11]
- 1.10 The Mystery of the New Moon and the Black-Haired Inuyasha [Episode 13]
- 1.11 Kikyo's Stolen Ashes [Episode 14]
- 1.12 Return of the Tragic Priestess, Kikyo
- 1.13 The Cursed Ink Heller
- 1.14 Naraku and Sesshomaru Join Forces [Episode 18]
- 1.15 Go Home to Your Own Time, Kagome! [Episode 19]
- 1.16 Despicable Villain: The Mystery of Onigumo
- 1.17 Naraku's True Identity Unveiled
- 1.18 A Wicked Smile: Kikyo's Wandering Soul
- 1.19 Kagome's Voice and Kikyo's Kiss
- 1.20 Enter Sango the Demon-Slayer
- 1.21 Naraku's Insidious Plot
- 1.22 Secret of the Jewel of Four Souls Revealed
- 2 Season Two
- 2.1 Tetsusaiga is Stolen: Showdown at Naraku's Castle [Episode 30]
- 2.2 Inuyasha and Kikyo: Into the Miasma
- 2.3 Kikyo, Captured by Naraku
- 2.4 The True Owner of the Great Sword [Episode 35]
- 2.5 Kagura's Dance and Kanna's Mirror [Episode 41]
- 2.6 The Wind Scar Fails [Episode 42]
- 2.7 Inuyasha's Soul, Devoured [Episode 51]
- 2.8 The Demon's True Nature [Episode 52]
- 2.9 Father's Old Enemy: Ryukotsusei [Episode 53]
- 3 Season Three
- 4 Season Four
- 5 Season Five
- 6 Season Six
- 7 Season Seven: The Final Act
- 7.1 Naraku's Heart
- 7.2 Kagura's Wind
- 7.3 Meido Zangetsuha
- 7.4 Dragon-Scaled Tetsusaiga
- 7.5 The Great Holy Demon Spirit's Test
- 7.6 The End of Moryomaru
- 7.7 The Mausoleum of Mount Azusa
- 7.8 Among the Twinkling Stars
- 7.9 Sesshomaru in the Underworld
- 7.10 Flowers Drenched in Sadness
- 7.11 Kanna's Gravestone
- 7.12 Sango's Feelings, Miroku's Resolve
- 7.13 A Complete Meido
- 7.14 In Pursuit of Naraku
- 7.15 True Heir
- 7.16 Hitomiko's Barrier
- 7.17 Magatsuhi's Evil Will
- 7.18 The Day of Days
- 7.19 Kohaku's Shard
- 7.20 When the Jewel is Whole
- 7.21 Inside Naraku
- 7.22 Naraku: Trap of Darkness
- 7.23 Naraku: Trap of Light
- 7.24 Naraku's Uncertain Wish
- 7.25 Thoughts Fall Short
- 7.26 Toward Tomorrow
- 8 Movies
- 9 About InuYasha
The Girl Who Overcame Time and the Boy Who Was Overcome
- (500 years later in modern Tokyo, Japan)
- Kagome: Shikon no what?
- Grandpa: Shikon no Tama.
- Kagome: You don't think people are gonna buy these dumb key chains are you?
- Grandpa: That is not just a key-chain. That crystal there is a replica of ancient jewel, which...
- (The cat starts playing with the key chain)
- Kagome: It came from inside me. Is that the Sacred Jewel?
Seekers of the Sacred Jewel
- Kagome: The Sacred Jewel makes monsters more powerful. Is it cursed?
- Kaede: So ye don't remember. I thought as much. I'm younger sister to Kikyo. She who bound ye to the tree, Kaede.
- Inuyasha: You're Kaede? So you're the brat, huh.
- Kaede: Fifty years have passed, and I have grown old.
- Kaede: I wouldn't let ye guard down just yet, Inuyasha. I now know that Kagome is the reincarnation of my sister. And it isn't just because you resemble her. The Jewel of Four Souls was in your body. That alone is proof enough.
- Inuyasha: Kikyo was a master archer. Take it in one shot!
- Kagome: I told you! My name's Kagome! Still...Kikyo, give me your strength.
- Kagome: I hope that's not what I think it-
- Inuyasha: And what do you think it is!?
- Kagome: I think it's a shard from the...Jewel.
- Inuyasha: Wha-What did you say!!!
Down to Rabbit Hole and Back Again
- Inuyasha: What did you do to it!?
- Kaede: Stop barking, Inuyasha.
- Inuyasha: Leave it to her to wind up breaking it!!
- Kaede: Technically, it wasn't Kagome who broke it. But the crow's foot she attached to her arrow that actually caused it. Right now, the Jewel has been shattered into many different shards. One hundred, one thousand. Who's knows? All it would take but one, in the wrong hands, to bring disaster.
- Kagome: Ah. Shampoo. It's a good thing.
Yura of the Demon-Hair
- Yura: You must be Inuyasha.
- Inuyasha: And you must be Yura of the Hair! How'd you know my name!?
- Yura: Let's just say, a little birdie told me. Everybody's saying that Inuyasha's playing fetch with some reincarnated shrine maiden.
- Inuyasha: Me!!? With that halfwit human down there!? Nuthin' doing!!
- Yura: Half demon, half power. I should've known. Disappointed? I bet you were hoping to use this to become all demon.
Aristocratic Assassin, Sesshomaru
- Inuyasha: It is you. Sesshomaru!!
- Sesshomaru: Indeed. I've quite missed you as well, little brother.
- Kagome: He called you his brother. Does that mean he-
- Sesshomaru: A mortal. How interesting.
- Kagome: Yeah. What of it?
- Sesshomaru: Others would be shamed. But with you, little brother, the girl quite suits you. These human creatures- I should think you had enough of them or is it a taste from Father?
Tetsusaiga, the Phantom Sword
- Myoga: Kagome, snap out of it! It's me! Myoga the Flea! Who'd have thought Sesshomaru, Inuyasha's older brother, be the one seeking the tomb? And what a foe he is.
- (After extracting the Black Pearl from Inuyasha's right eye)
- Sesshomaru: No wonder searching for it beneath ground was useless. "Seeing yet never seeing. Protected yet never known to its protector." Our father's tomb hidden inside a black pearl deep within your eye.
- Inuyasha: And all for something like that!! You pretended she was my mother!!
- Inuyasha: What "entrusted"!? What inheritance!? For all I care, he can keep the rusty piece of junk! What I do mind, though, is all the other stuff!! Good thing you're in a grave 'cause you're gonna die!!
- Sesshomaru: Now, was that aimed at me?
- Kagome: Inuyasha, get the dumb sword!!
- Inuyasha: Kagome?
- Kagome: Sesshomaru couldn't pull it out, right? If you can't hit him in the body, hit him in the ego! Hurt his pride!
- Inuyasha: I get. I'll do it, if only to see the look on your face!!
- Kagome: I thought I was a goner. Hey you!! You tired to kill me didn't you!? Well, don't think you can get away with it, Mister!! Here. I think we underestimated it. Don't let me down.
- Inuyasha: Hey, how come you're still alive?
- Kagome: I don't know.
- Sesshomaru: The sword! That's what protected you.
- Myoga: It's true. Those claws of his turned deadly poison. It had to be the sword or she really would have died.
Showdown: Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru
- Sesshomaru: When it comes to humans, I of course, bear no such weakness.
- (uses his venomous nails on Kagome)
- Kagome: Inuyasha!
- Inuyasha: Kagome!!
- Sesshomaru: So fragile. Don't you agree, little brother?
- Inuyasha: Sesshomaru!!
- Sesshomaru: And just humans. Half-breeds, too.
- Inuyasha: That was for Mother!! And this is for Kagome!!
- (Inuyasha manages to overpower his elder half-brother, breaking his armor)
- Jaken: What's going on!? A moment ago, he couldn't hit at all!
- Sesshomaru: All that for a memory and a dead mortal girl? If I'd had known that's what it took to make you fight, I'd have killed her sooner.
Phantom Showdown: Tetsusaiga vs. the Thunder Brothers
- Inuyasha: Oh no! Hieten must have gained Monten's abilities as well as his Jewel shards. Kagome, get out of there!!
Terror of the Ancient Noh Mask [Episode 11]
- Sota: It's you! You're Inuyasha!
- Inuyasha: In the flesh, kid. Now, what's this problem you need help with?
[He carries Sota on his back as he leaps across Tokyo]
- Inuyasha: Hang on tight, kid- it's a long way down.
- Sota: I guess I wasn't strong enough to pass through the hidden well.
- Inuyasha: Lucky for you- because, in my world, there are plenty of monsters who'd just love to have you for lunch.
- Sota: (shudders) D'you know where to find my sister?
- Inuyasha: Sure, I'm not human, remember? I can pick up scents for miles around with this nose.
- Sota: Kagome cut her hand on some glass-
- Inuyasha: Don't have to tell me that- I could smell the blood all the way back at the well. Fear not. I'll rescue Kagome before she gets into any real trouble!
- Kagome: (In Sota's flashback, talking about Inuyasha) I'll tell you what he's like- he's whiny, and a showoff, and a total egomaniac!The guy's a complete pain.
- Sota: (thinking) This can't be the same guy Kagome was telling me about. Sure, his outfit's a bit out of date, but... Inuyasha's the only guy around here I think I can trust!
The Mystery of the New Moon and the Black-Haired Inuyasha [Episode 13]
- Kagome: (shocked that Inuyasha has turned human) Your hair's gone black!
- Inuyasha: If you think you can rely on my strength to save you this time... you'd better think again.
- Kagome: Inuyasha, is that you?
- Inuyasha: (sarcastically) No, I'm a talking puppet! (Shippo jumps on his head)
- Shippo: (inspecting Inuyasha's scalp) His dog-ears are gone!
- Kagome: You're not half-demon anymore- you're human!
- Inuyasha: You're lucky my fangs and claws are gone! (grabs Shippo and tosses him to the ground)
- Kagome: (sharply) Alright, how 'bout telling us what's going on?!
- Myoga: All half-demons, such as Master Inuyasha, are subject to certain times when they lose their supernatural powers as demons.
- Kagome: I don't really follow you.
- Myoga: From time to time, half-demons are rendered no stronger than yourself, or any other mere mortal! It's that simple! For him, the time must fall on the night of the new cycle (looks up at the sky) When the moon is dark.
- Myoga: Why, Master?! Why did you not inform us that your period of vulnerability was impending!?
- Inuyasha: Because, if I had, you would have taken off a long time ago.
- Myoga: (blusters, then pretends to act wounded)... Have you not a wit of trust in me?!
- Inuyasha: Yeah- I trust you to run away when there's trouble!
- Kagome: (angrily) Then, what- you can't rely on me, either?! If you'd told me that you'd be losing your powers, I never would have insisted we stay in the temple with Nazuna! So much for being able to lean on your close friends!
- Inuyasha: I don't trust anybody! Got it?! (Kagome looks startled and hurt) Huh-it has nothing to do with you. It's just the way I've lived, until now. It's the only way I know how to protect myself.
- Kagome: Inuyasha, I hear what you're saying. (tears up) I just wish you'd opened up to me, more- as your friend! (starts to cry)
- Inuyasha: (startled) No, wait- I'm the one who's supposed to be down!
- Kagome: (tearful and angry) If it weren't for your pride, we wouldn't be in this boat! (points a finger at him) You're gonna pay for this big time, pal!
- Shippo: What is it now?
- Kagome: (sheepishly) My bag- I forgot it!
- Inuyasha: So, get a new one when you go back!
- Kagome: (guiltily) Thing is- the Shikon Jewel shards are inside.
- Inuyasha: WHAAAAT?!
- Inuyasha: (badly poisoned) Kagome... save yourself...
- Kagome: No chance!
- Inuyasha: I'm serious- it's too late for me!
- Kagome: I'm not leaving here without you!
- Kagome: The Sacred Jewel shards! They fused inside the demon's body.
- Inuyasha: Is that all we have so far? I thought we had a lot more.
- Kagome: Hey, It's enough to impress this girl!
Kikyo's Stolen Ashes [Episode 14]
- Kagome: What happened here?
- Kaede: The specter. She desecrated my sister Kikyo's grave site.
- Kagome: This was her tomb?
- Kaede: Yes. And I was virtually powerless to stop the assault. My sister had unusually strong spiritual powers, even for a priestess as she was. Her remains have fallen into the hands of evil. Who knows to what end Kikyo's powers will be exploited. Inuyasha.
- Inuyasha: You're on your own! Apparently you've forgotten that Kikyo betrayed me! I am not so lucky! I can still remember the pain from the arrow she used to pierce my chest!!
- Kaede: Forgive me.
- Kagome: It happened fifty years ago. But to Inuyasha, memories still seem fresh. Inuyasha had wanted to take the sacred Shikon Jewel to enable him to become a full-fledged demon. When he came to the village and stole the Jewel, the priestess Kikyo shot a sacred arrow, which held him fast to a tree. In a tragic twist of fate, Kikyo lost her life in the battle.
- Kagome: It wasn't me was looking at just now. He was looking right through me- to Kikyo.
- Kaede: My sister was born a priestess. She used her powers for the good of the villagers, and battled illness and famine countless times. Ever since her demise, Kikyo's spirit continues to encourage them to overcome their obstacles and have the strength to carry on. But people are weak, and men are forever filled with danger and uncertainty. Her grave a place of reassurance. A haven, to help the villagers embrace themselves toward the storms of life.
- Kagome: Inuyasha looks just like he did before. He's thinking of Kikyo. He was in love with her. And yet she shot him with an arrow and pinned him to a tree, where he slept in a spell for fifty years. The poor guy. She didn't return his feelings. She didn't love him in return. She didn't love him.
- Kagome: Inuyasha? He fell asleep. He was sleeping the first time I saw him, too. Actually, he was under a spell. But to me, it looked he was merely asleep. I thought he hated Kikyo. But when he held my hand and looked at me, it wasn't a look of hatred in his eyes. Could it be that...Is it possible he's been hiding his true feelings all along? That he actually loved Kikyo?
- Urassue: Kikyo, the great priestess. You thwarted many demons' attempts to take possession of the Sacred Jewel of Four Souls. They that if a demon should possess a single fragment of the broken Jewel, its powers will at least triple in strength. I need them. I need every fragment of the Jewel for myself. I have brought you back and you shall serve my every wish. Now go and retrieve the Jewel shards!
Return of the Tragic Priestess, Kikyo
- Kaede: I fear that time is not on our side. We may shorty find ourselves face-to-face with my sister.
- Inuyasha: What? But Kikyo's dead!
- Kaede: Urassue has all she needs to revive her. And if she succeeds, we shall face a formidable foe. We must find some way to stop this!
- (The soulless resurrected Kikyo walks in)
- Urassue: So you're dressed. Being a priestess is most fitting and flatters your good looks. Now that all you require is a human soul.
- Kagome: What are you talking about?
- Urassue: My magical herbal potion shall soon suck the soul from your very body! Kikyo shall have her soul and you will be among the living dead!
- Kagome: Kikyo's soul? Then this girl is Kikyo?
- Kaede: You fiend, Urassue! How dare ye desecrate my sister's grave and use her remains!
- Urassue: My creation is wondrous, is it not? I used her remains and graveside soil to recreate her as flesh and blood! As such, I am her creator! Nay, her birth mother and has proven her allegiance to me! She shall follow my every command! Now come and use your powers to rid us of-
- (Kikyo unexpectedly kills Urasue with her strong bursts of spiritual energy)
- Kikyo: Inuyasha, why are you still alive? I bound you to a tree with a sacred arrow.
- Inuyasha: Yeah, you sure did! And I stayed there for fifty years! But as you can see, I'm alive and ready to take you on again!
- Kikyo: You vile beast! I despise you! You loathsome half man!
- (Kikyo's left shoulder and chest is suddenly covered in blood)
- Inuyasha: Got a problem, Kikyo?
- Kikyo: Why did you betray me, Inuyasha!?
- Inuyasha: What's going on? Where's all that blood coming from?
- Kaede: Look closer Inuyasha. Is that not the fatal wound ye inflicted on Kikyo?
- Inuyasha: I inflicted!? What are you saying!? That I was the one who killed Kikyo!?
- Kaede: Yes. It was your wounds that sealed her fate and ensured her demise.
- Inuyasha: There must be a mistake of some kind! I didn't kill her! I don't even remember wounding her!!
- Kaede: Can ye be certain? These wounds did not come from your hand? Think hard! Try to remember. If not you, then who slew my sister?
- Kikyo: You are even more vile than I thought, inventing such feeble excuses! Please! This is most unflattering, Inuyasha! Stop it! Inuyasha, do you not remember when you told me you wished to become human?
- Kaede: Impossible! He wishes to become a demon.
- Kikyo: You said you would become human. I believed your words. That day, I carried the Shikon Jewel and went to you.
- (Flashback to fifty years ago)
- Inuyasha: Fool! I had desire whatsoever to become human! But I shall take the Shikon Jewel nonetheless. Thanks! This jewel is about absorb more pain and suffering when I use it to slaughter to villagers!
- Kikyo: You traitor!! Traitor!!
- Kaede: But, Kikyo, I can't believe that Inuyasha would have committed such a heinous crime!
- Inuyasha: Are you suggesting that I was the one who betrayed you!!?
- Kikyo: You know it's true. That is why I summoned the last vestiges of my strength and bound you to a tree with my sacred arrow. Inuyasha.
- Inuyasha: Kikyo.
- Kikyo: You and were fated never to meet again.
- Kaede: Stop this assault, Kikyo.
- Kikyo: Who are you!?
- Kaede: I am your younger sister, Kaede. My looks have altered because fifty years have passed since your demise.
- Kikyo: Then explain why you would speak on Inuyasha's behalf. Give me this!! Kaede!
- Kaede: You must stop this madness. Inuyasha is not your enemy.
- Kikyo: Open your eyes! You too have been taken by this deceitful monster!
- Kaede: You are mistaken!
- Kikyo: Hand me your arrows!!
- Kaede: I'll do no such thing!
- Kikyo: Kaede, show loyalty to your flesh and blood! Not to some devious, lying half breed! Now heed the demand of your elder sister and give me those arrows!
- Kaede: Sister!
- Kikyo: Move!! You told me you wished to become human! You told me you wished to be with me!!
- Kaede: Inuyasha, you must destroy my sister's body at once. This rebirth is nothing but a deceit of magic. Destroy her body and release the soul from within.
- Kikyo: It is futile!! I shall not return to that body until I've carried out my revenge on the traitorous beast!!
- Inuyasha: Kikyo had used her spiritual powers to protect the sacred Shikon Jewel from demons. I merely wanted the jewel for myself. I had intention of killing Kikyo. It became clear that Kikyo did not intend to kill me either. I had no seconds thoughts. I knew I could live with Kikyo as a human. I've longed for such a life. But the day she was to bring me the Jewel...She betrayed me! Kikyo betrayed me! As soon as I let my guard down, she tried to slay me! I managed to dodge the arrows and came to the village to steal the Jewel. And that's when she bound me to the tree.
The Cursed Ink Heller
- Miroku: I know because Naraku came close to getting the Jewel fifty years ago. In doing so, he slew the priestess protecting it.
- Inuyasha: You say he killed a priestess!?
- Miroku: That's right.
- Inuyasha: He must be the demon who disguised himself as me and struck down Kikyo! It must be him! Miroku, you say this Naraku takes on all kinds of different forms! What about now!!? What does he look like now!!?
- Miroku: Calm down. If I had that information I would have slain him long ago myself.
- Inuyasha: Naraku laid a trap for Kikyo and me! He made us believe we deceived each other. The demon who killed Kikyo is still alive, and is after the Sacred Jewel fragments. I shall hunt down Kikyo's killer and avenge her death!!
Naraku and Sesshomaru Join Forces [Episode 18]
- Jaken: (after Sesshomaru has threatened him) Mother was right- I should've been a ferryman! (thinking) This is entirely Inuyasha's fault, for severing Lord Sesshomaru's arm!
[Flashback of Sesshomaru's previous battle with Inuyasha]
- Jaken: (thinking) It is not the sword that severed his arm, that I direct my hatred toward- it is to the beast that wielded it, Inuyasha! By all rights, the Tetsusaiga belongs to Lord Sesshomaru, and we shall take it back from Inuyasha without fail!!!
- Sesshomaru: (glances at his empty sleeve)...Even if I am provided with another arm, it shall also be useless after a short period.
- Naraku: A vexing problem, is it not?
[Sesshomaru turns to see Naraku kneeling before him, dressed in his baboon-skin cloak and mask. Jaken yelps in fright and runs to hide behind Sesshomaru]
- Naraku: If I am not mistaken, you are the elder brother of Inuyasha- Lord Sesshomaru, are you not?
- Sesshomaru: What do you want? Should I know you?
- Naraku: I am someone, who, like yourself, despises Inuyasha. Forgive me, but I happened to... overhear your conversation just now. (holds up a human arm) Perhaps I can be of assistance- might I suggest that you employ this arm?
- Jaken: Have you lost your senses?! Clearly, that is the arm of a human!
- Naraku: Yes... clearly, this arm belonged to a mortal, but embedded in it, is a shard of the sacred Shikon Jewel.
- Jaken: The Jewel?
- Naraku: Should you choose to employ this arm, the Jewel shard will enable you to wield the Tetsusaiga, Inuyasha's fabled sword. The sword is known to work for the benefit of man- at present, a demon such as yourself would be unable to even touch the Tetsusaiga.
- Sesshomaru:... You mentioned something about your despising Inuyasha? Tell me- do you intend to use me to exact your revenge?
- Naraku: Yes. (Jaken blusters in anger)
- Jaken: How dare you exploit my master-!
- Sesshomaru: Hmm- sounds interesting. (Jaken stares at him, shocked) I shall accept the arm from you.
- Jaken: Master, please reconsider!
- Naraku: Oh- and one other thing. Take this hive (holds out a wasp-hive) You shall be able to make good use of it- with certainty.
- Sesshomaru: (takes the hive and inspects it)... I should know the name, of the one I make a pact with.
- Naraku: (smiles beneath his mask) My apologies. Call me... Naraku.
- Sesshomaru: Very well, Naraku- you have yourself a deal.
- Miroku: It must be true. Kagome really is the reincarnation of the priestess.
Go Home to Your Own Time, Kagome! [Episode 19]
[After Tetsusaiga is temporarily shut down by Kagome's arrow]
- Inuyasha: I've figured you out, Sesshomaru. Because you're a demon, you shouldn't even be able to grasp the Tetsusaiga. That left arm of yours must belong to a human. You're using a shard of the Shikon Jewel to connect the arm to your body! If I can lop off that arm, you'll no longer have what it takes to hold on to the Tetsusaiga! (Sesshomaru smirks) And that's not all- (charges) when you lose that arm, I'll have myself yet another shard of the Jewel!
- Sesshomaru: (charges, smiling) Let's see you try to take this arm away from me.
[They clash, but Sesshomaru quickly drives Inuyasha back with his energy whip. Inuyasha makes attacks from many different angles, but Sesshomaru's greater speed allows him to dodge them all.]
- Inuyasha: (launches another attack) Iron Reaver-!
[Sesshomaru punches him in the jaw and knocks him back to the ground, hard. Sesshomaru smirks, but an arrow from Kagome suddenly strikes his shoulder-plate, shattering it]
- Shippo: (jumping up and down) You did it! You got through his armor!
- Kagome: I was trying to hit the Jewel in his arm. (aims another arrow)
- Inuyasha: (stands up) Kagome!
- Sesshomaru: Inuyasha, make her stop. Half demon though you are, the blood of a demon runs deep inside you. Be proud of that. Do not accept human aid, even in death.
- Inuyasha: Don't try anything, Kagome! Sesshomaru is totally ruthless!
- Kagome: I can handle it! I'll hit him! (she fires, but Sesshomaru catches her arrow and dissolves it with his poison claws) What?! It melted in his hand!
- Sesshomaru: (angrily, as Tetsusaiga re-activates) You've had your warning. Now I shall put an end to your interference!! (swings Tetsusaiga)
[Sesshomaru has impaled Inuyasha through the torso with his poisonous claws]
- Sesshomaru: (mockingly, as he withdraws his arm) Any last words before your tragic demise?
- Inuyasha: (smiles weakly) Your ignorance surprises me- I really thought you would've noticed it by now!
- Sesshomaru: (frowns) Noticed what?
- Inuyasha: That the sword is back in MY hands! (he rips off Sesshomaru's human forearm, tossing it aside and grabbing Tetsusaiga)
- Jaken: Master! Without the human arm, you're unable to hold onto the Tetsusaiga!
[Severely weakened by his wound, Inuyasha wobbles then slumps into a crouch, stabbing Tetsusaiga into the ground in front of him]
- Kagome: He's weakening!
- Jaken: (stepping towards Inuyasha) Lord Sesshomaru, it seems Inuyasha has finally lost consciousness-
- Sesshomaru: Do not approach any closer.
- Jaken: Huh?
[Inuyasha's hand flexes on Tetsusaiga's handle, and a blast of energy shoots from the blade along the ground towards Jaken]
- Jaken: AAAAH! (runs back) Wh-what happened?! The sword attacked of its' own accord!
- Sesshomaru: (thinking) He holds power over it, despite being unconscious. If I make a move for it... he will strike me down. (turns away) We shall leave, Jaken. The Tetsusaiga is presently beyond my reach, so there's no sense in staying.
- Jaken: I won't argue with your decision. After you, Master!
[Sesshomaru and Jaken fly away, followed by Naraku's wasps]
- Miroku: They must have given up!
- Shippo: That's a lucky break.
- Kagome: (runs forward) Inuyasha!
- Inuyasha: (thinking) Kagome... You're all right.
[Tetsusaiga reverts to its' ordinary form; Inuyasha pitches forward into the ground, blood pouring from his torso]
- Naraku: (receiving his retrieved Shikon shard from his wasps) What a pitiful soul- so, he failed. (notices Sesshomaru is standing right behind him and jumps back hastily) Lord Sesshomaru- what a pleasant surprise.
- Jaken: (enraged) Naraku! You gave that miserable human arm to Sesshomaru in the hopes that it would destroy him!
- Naraku: You are mistaken. I merely wished to assist him- and, of course, to have my Jewel shard returned to me.
- Sesshomaru: I suppose that makes sense. (he lunges forward and decapitates Naraku with a swipe of his claws; Naraku's head falls in front of Jaken)
- Jaken: Serves you right, for putting my master in such jeopardy! (he kicks the head, then notices it is just a mask)
- Sesshomaru: So, he escaped.
- Jaken: Huh? (inspects Naraku's empty baboon cloak) Wh-where did he go?
- Naraku: (unseen) Lord Sesshomaru, I implore you to contain your anger. I may call upon you again... should another opportunity arise to destroy Inuyasha.
- Kagome: (to Shippo, watching Inuyasha) How is he? Notice any changes?
- Shippo: He's hardly moved, the entire time!
- Kagome: (thinking) Inuyasha said he wanted to be taken home. For him to say that, his injuries must be serious. (aloud) Shippo, tell me more about that hive.
- Shippo: According to the imp, it was Naraku who lent the hive to Sesshomaru. Naraku was the one who burned the Wind Tunnel into Miroku's hand, remember?
- Kagome: (thinking) Yeah- and, the demon that set Kikyo and Inuyasha against each other. Now, Inuyasha wants to destroy Naraku, to avenge Kikyo's death! (aloud) Does Inuyasha know about all this?
- Shippo: No- he needed all his energy to battle Sesshomaru, and I knew this news about Naraku would infuriate him- and the last thing he needed was a distraction.
- Kagome: Let's not tell him right away, okay Shippo? Otherwise he'll go after Naraku, and he's just too weak and injured to do it! We'll tell him eventually, but right now, let's concentrate on helping him recover.
- Shippo: Good idea. (they don't realize Inuyasha can hear them)
- Inuyasha: (staring at his claws, thinking) Naraku... He's close at hand. Naraku, the cursed demon who disguised himself as me, to get close enough to end Kikyo's life! And now he's returned, and is hiding nearby. (a flashback of the disguised Naraku mortally wounding Kikyo is shown) It wasn't me. It wasn't me! I didn't betray you, Kikyo! He shows up when there's a shard of the Shikon Jewel to be found. He's near.
[Inuyasha sits in front of the Bone-Eater's Well, wincing from his wounds]
- Inuyasha: Kagome... I haven't asked how you're feeling. You're hurt, too.
- Kagome: Huh? It's just a little lump on the head. I'm sorry, Inuyasha- you told me to stay away from Sesshomaru, but I didn't listen, and only made things worse. If I had run away like you told me, you wouldn't have been so seriously injured.
- Inuyasha: No- in the end, it was you who saved me with your arrow. I'm grateful, Kagome.
- Kagome: (thinking) He's grateful? Okay, now he's officially freaking me out. (feels his forehead) You're acting totally weird, now- do you have a fever? (Inuyasha glares at her)
- Shippo: (watching covertly with Miroku) What's Inuyasha doing, taking Kagome so deep into the forest?
- Miroku: Shhhh.
- Inuyasha: You heard the story. About how Naraku deceived me, fifty years ago. He's the one pulling the strings behind Sesshomaru.
- Kagome: (thinking) He figured it out! I guess it's no surprise- Inuyasha's more aware of Naraku's movements than anyone.
- Inuyasha: I've made a decision. Things are getting more dangerous by the day-
- Kagome: Yeah, you're probably right.
- Inuyasha: Huh? What's that mean?! Aren't you scared?! We're in serious danger! This time, we were lucky, but who knows about next time?!
- Kagome: Well, I'm not afraid. Naraku's a terrible demon! We've got to do what we can to destroy him (Inuyasha pulls her forward and hugs her) Huh? (thinking) What's going on? Inuyasha... what are you doing?
- Inuyasha:... I was afraid. I thought I was going to lose you. I was terrified.
- Shippo: (having his face covered by Miroku) Lemme go! I wanna see-
- Miroku: This isn't something for children to see.
[After a long pause, Inuyasha suddenly stands and lets go of Kagome; as she sits up, she sees that he has taken her Shikon Jewel shard, and his expression is serious]
- Inuyasha: I'll hang on to the Jewel.
- Kagome: What do you think you're doing?
- Inuyasha: Kagome, go back to your own era!!
[he pushes her back into the Well; Miroku and Shippo, shocked, come running forward from their hiding place]
- Miroku: Inuyasha, what have you done?! (notices the Well is empty) Kagome is gone! What have you done?!
- Inuyasha: I've sent her back home- to her own time, on the other side of the Well.
Despicable Villain: The Mystery of Onigumo
- Kaede: I need to speak to ye. I have given much thought to this ever since my sister was revived by the evil witch Urassue. Kikyo explained that it was ye, Inuyasha, who had taken her sacred Shikon Jewel. Do ye not think it strange? The one who disguised himself as ye could have made off with the jewel yet he did not. He tricked ye into terrorizing the village, then Kikyo bound ye to a tree with her sacred arrow. Was the trickster attempting to pit ye against each other or was it Kikyo who was the true object of his malice? Was he trying to fill her heart with hatred and bitterness?
- Inuyasha: What?
- Kaede: In Kikyo's possession, the Sacred Jewel of Four Souls remained pure. But when her heart became tainted and hateful, the Jewel also became sullied and it, too, filled with malevolent power. At the time, there was but one man who wished for such a terrible outcome. Shall I take ye to the place where this man once resided?
- Kaede: Kikyo had come to her own decision.
- Inuyasha: She was harboring a thief?
- Kaede: Because she pitied him. He was unable to move. I know not if he fell from a cliff or how he sustained his injuries, but both legs were broken. The man went by the name of Onigumo.
- Inuyasha: I owe ya one, Royakan- for getting me out of that hut, where my so-called friends the monk and the hag locked me in!
- Kaede: (dryly) For your protection, I might add.
- Miroku: (also dryly) Gratitude doesn't come naturally to him.
Naraku's True Identity Unveiled
- Inuyasha: Answer me one thing before I avenge Kikyo's death: Naraku, why do you bear such a grudge against me!?
- Naraku: Good question.
- Naraku: Because the priestess Kikyo was so powerless, the region teamed with demons. Her strength had diminished because she had fallen in love with a certain half-demon. She submitted to her childish desires and had attempted to use the Shikon Jewel for her own purposes. For that, she was punished. And, Inuyasha, you suffered the punishment as well.
- Inuyasha: You bastard!! You are to blame for everything that happened!! You deceived Kikyo and I!! You tricked us into trying to kill one another!!
- Naraku: Then tell me. How was it that the trust you two held in each other was so easily destroyed?
- Inuyasha: What are you saying!?
- Naraku: It was anger and bitter anger that set you against one another. Even Kikyo could comprehend it. She should have chosen to live and used the power of the Sacred Jewel to save her. Instead she chose death. Had she pleaded for her life, her pathetic, wretched wish would have been easily granted. Then she would have understood the ultimate truth of darkness. Foolish woman. It is claimed that the sacred Shikon Jewel grows more beautiful when it is tainted with malice.
- Inuyasha: Kagome, look inside him!! How many fragments are there!!?
- Kagome: I know there are lots. Ten. No, twenty! Wait! There's even more than I can count!
- Inuyasha: Hey, Naraku, wanna see something really scary!? I'll slit you from head to toe to show you what malice means!!
A Wicked Smile: Kikyo's Wandering Soul
- Inuyasha: Kikyo didn't use the power of the Sacred Jewel to save herself.
- Kagome: Kikyo chose death over life. She chose to follow Inuyasha.
- Kikyo: The demon Urassue desired the spiritual power of a priestess. So she took the ashes and soil from my graveside and fried my body in her quill. The soul that has transmigrated into this body suits me well.
- Monk: Are you unable to cross over? You are a dead young priestess. You must now pass to the Netherworld.
- Kikyo: Will you not overlook my presence here? I merely wish to live in peace in this small village.
- Monk: If you wish to live in peace, then why must you gather souls of the dead!?
- Kikyo: I have reasons.
- Monk: You require those souls in order to sustain that body of yours!
- Kikyo: What action will you take? I take it, you won't leave.
- Monk: I shall return you to where you belong!! I shall do it for your sake!! You cannot escape this demon-binding spell of mine!! I shall extinguish your light and save your soul from eternal misery!!
- Kikyo: "Save me!?" A retch such as you attempts to save my soul!!?
Kagome's Voice and Kikyo's Kiss
- Kikyo: Is he not here with you?
- Kagome: I came on my own. Inuyasha set off to find you earlier. That's right. He must be trying to come here.
- Kikyo: Tell me. What is your relationship?
- Kagome: What did she do to me? I can't move!
- Kikyo: This will end your interfering.
- Inuyasha: Them again. The demons who were making off with the souls. It's a spirit shield. Kikyo must be on the other side. Kikyo, is it really you?
- Kikyo: Inuyasha has come. I fear he has not come to save you. His purpose lies in seeing me. You will not interfere.
- Kagome: Interfere!? Are you still planning to destroy Inuyasha!? He's not your enemy! Someone pitted you against each other on purpose! Inuyasha would have never taken your life, Kikyo.
- Kikyo: From your competence, you expect me to be rejoicing.
- Kagome: Huh?
- Kikyo:' Someone caused my premature demise. Will my murderer's death bring me back to life?
- Kagome: I guess not.
- Kikyo: The dead have but one wish: to walk among the living once more. A wish that will never be realized. However, this dead woman can wish for one thing. I wish for a heart, the heart of the man whom I shall never allow to forget me. That is my desire.
- Kagome: You'll never allow him to forget about you? You mean Inuyasha?
- Kikyo: It is clear Inuyasha wishes for my death. That is a good thing because it means he feels remorse for dispute. Let him feel remorseful. I shall never allow him to forget about me. Time will not advance. Thus allowing me to exist in a dimension where time is frozen. I can live on inside his heart during my frozen recreation.
- Kagome: You're always on Inuyasha's mind. Why can't you be satisfied with that? He hasn't forgotten you after all these years! He thinks of you all the time. Isn't that good enough?
- Kikyo: When Inuyasha and I parted, we despised one another. The love you speak of is but a shallow emotion. Nothing can fuel the desire for enacting vengeance. Only bitterness can.
- Inuyasha: So you were the one doing it. Gathering the souls of the dead women.
- Kikyo: This body is molded from the earth and ashes of my grave site. It must be sustained with human souls if I am to remain here. Inuyasha, you must despise me. I have drawn in the souls of the dead, and it is my hatred of you that fuels my actions.
- Inuyasha:That's just ludicrous! You many very well despise me but the feeling's not mutual. Kikyo...I never stop thinking of you! Not even for an instant!!
- Inuyasha: I could never hate you or think less of you. It's your spirit I care about, not your appearance.
- Kikyo: Truly, Inuyasha, you wouldn't? You wouldn't despise me if I used these hands to steal the life from you?
- Kagome: She's kissing him!!
- Kikyo: Inuyasha, after meeting you, I renounced my position as a shrine priestess. I became an ordinary woman. I've longed to embrace you like this when I was alive.
- Inuyasha: Kikyo's sent is so familiar. Her fragrance is just as it used to be. The only difference is that she has no warmth. Her body is cold from death. And she's sad and lonely.
- Kikyo: We are unable to turn back the hands of time. So please allow me to embrace you a little longer.
- Inuyasha: I can't save you. I can't do anything to help you, except stay like this. If only time could stand still.
- Kikyo: Would you agree to that? If I did stop time?
- Inuyasha: Yes. I don't care as long as...as long as I'm with you.
- Kikyo: Does that girl mean more to you than I do?
- Inuyasha: Wait, Kikyo! Listen to me!!
- Kikyo: Inuyasha, never forget the feel of my lips against yours. For it was real. Never forget.
- Kaede: Kikyo, is it really you?
- Kikyo: What ails you, Kaede? Do you fear your own sister?
- Kaede: You misunderstand. I heard ye had fallen from a cliff. I did not imagine ye would survive.
- Kikyo: You are correct. I am dead. Yet something left undone in this world keeps me from moving on.
- Kaede: Do ye still hunger to take Inuyasha's life?
- Kikyo: I have just met with Inuyasha moments ago and almost succeeded in stringing the life from him. Speak to me, Kaede. Tell me all you have to offer about this Naraku person.
- Kaede: Everything began with the evil desires of Onigumo. He called forth the demons' and was devoured by them. Thus was born the monster Naraku.
- Kikyo: So it all began with Onigumo. That bandit.
- Kaede: That's right. He used to say that the Sacred Jewel grows in beauty when it is tainted with malice.
- Kikyo (thinking): He fueled the hatred between Inuyasha and myself. And attempted to steal the Jewel that had been tainted in the process.
Enter Sango the Demon-Slayer
- Miroku: Inuyasha, had you heard of the Jewel's origins?
- Inuyasha: Not at all. When I learned of the Jewel of Four Souls, Kikyo had it in her protection. I had never given any thought as to where the Jewel came from or how it was created.
Naraku's Insidious Plot
- Kagome: She has a Shikon Jewel shard in her back. I can see it.
- Inuyasha: No wonder. I could already tell she was badly inured from the smell of her blood.
- Kagome: Sango!
- Sango: The Jewel shard was suppressing my pain!! Naraku!!
- Inuyasha: You really love to mess around with people's feelings, don't ya!? You creep!!
- Naraku: Are you thinking of Kikyo when you say that?
Secret of the Jewel of Four Souls Revealed
- Kagome: Everyone who comes in contact with the Jewel seems to end up unhappy. Just what is it exactly?
- Sango: All right. Get your friends. You helped bury the dead. So I will tell how the Sacred Jewel came to be.
- Sango: There isn't any incantation.
- Myoga: Of course there is! How else would you do it?
- Sango: At first, my villagers thought the demons had placed a curse on the entrance. But we eventually realized that she is the one who keeps intruders out.
- Miroku: And who is "She"?
- Sango: The person whom the Sacred Jewel was born. Her spirit is full of sadness and regret, and it prevents others from entering.
- Inuyasha: Uh, are you sure about this?
- Sango: Countless people have been killed because of the Sacred Jewel's dark power. And it is the sympathy you show for the victims that leads me to believe she will allow you to enter the cave.
- Inuyasha: The demon has her in its jaws.
- Sango: There was a time when demons, dragons and other monsters merged together to wage a battle. They fought against one powerful human.
- Kagome: There's a person inside the stalagmite.
- Miroku: Ancient armor. Is that an ancient warrior?
- Sango: It's a woman. A priestess who lived many centuries ago.
- Kagome: Huh?
- Inuyasha: Look at the number of demons surrounding her. This priestess must've had immense spiritual power.
- Sango: The court nobles controlled the country at that time. Wars and famine dragged on and on and countless people perished. Demons devoured the dead and the near dead and they were able to grow in great numbers. Many priests and warriors set out to slay them. But only one priestess, known as Midoriko, was able to purify demon souls and render them harmless. She was considered the most powerful human of her time.
- Kagome: She could purify and weaken the demons' souls?
- Sango: In her world, animals, trees and even stones, were all created though the foul souls.
- Kagome: That's right Shikon means "four souls."
- Sango: When someone does a bad deed, the four souls energize evil, and the human loses his way. In other words...
- Miroku: In other words, a soul can turn good or bad, and this transformation can happen within either a human soul or a demon soul.
- Sango: Now you know why Midoriko was a formidable foe for the demons' because she was able to purify their souls and make them powerless.
- Inuyasha: So what!? She fought off an army of demons by turning them into a bunch of weaklings! Well, her power didn't last very long, did it? I'd say she's a pretty useless priestess now!
- Sango: She hasn't lost the battle yet.
- Kagome: What does she mean "not yet"? What's that?
- Sango: After battling for seven days and seven nights, a demon got its fangs into Midoriko. With her last ounce of energy, she reached deep within her own body for strength, and seized the demon's soul. But in doing so, she forced out her own soul.
- Miroku: Tell me. Is the hole in her chest the spot where she forced out her own soul!?
- Sango: What flew out of her was, in fact, the Shikon Jewel. She wasn't able to purify the demon's soul. All she could do was seize and imprison it along with herself. Although the flesh is gone, inside the Sacred Jewel, a battle still wages between Midoriko and the demons.' That is why the fight isn't over yet.
- Kagome: So a war between souls is still raging inside the Sacred Jewel.
- Inuyasha: It's not like this story complicates things. We just gotta go after Naraku hunting after the Jewel shards. I'm gonna take possession of the Sacred Jewel and use it to become a full-fledged demon, and then Midoriko can rest in peace! (he is physically blasted out of the cave)
- Miroku: Looks like people who talk of the Sacred Jewel for selfish gain get thrown from the cave.
- Shippo: That must be Midoriko's version of "Sit!"
Tetsusaiga is Stolen: Showdown at Naraku's Castle [Episode 30]
[Sango and Kirara arrive at Naraku's castle]
- Sango: (to herself) This castle... Kohaku? Kohaku!
- Naraku: (unseen) First, put down your weapon.
- Sango: (enraged) Naraku!
[she hurls Hiraikotsu, smashing a huge hole in the roof of the main residence. Naraku emerges on the steps of the residence, wearing his baboon cloak and mask; Sango jumps down from the wall and lands across the courtyard from him]
- Naraku: Well done, Sango- good work. You brought me Inuyasha's sword, the Tetsusaiga, as promised.
- Sango: Let me see Kohaku! I will only hand over the sword after I see him! (the residence glows with red light, revealing Kohaku sitting behind one of the screens; Sango points Tetsusaiga at Naraku) Naraku, turn Kohaku back to his former self, immediately!
- Naraku: (amused) Killing me won't help. You should know that already. This is the fault of the sacred Shikon Jewel- demons and evil humans desire the Jewel, and out of that desire, demons attacked your village. That's why your father was killed. That's why your brother Kohaku's soul now wanders in darkness. It's all part of the curse of the sacred Jewel.
- Sango: Stop lying! You're the one who killed my father and comrades! You coveted the stupid Jewel- you're responsible for everything!
- Naraku: People die because of the power of the sacred Shikon Jewel, and people live because of its' power. There's no reason that you should despise the sacred Jewel as much as you do. Remember- Kohaku was revived, because of the Jewel's power. You made a promise to exchange the sword for Kohaku's life. So- what will you do?
- Sango: I despise you- I made no promises! (she lunges at him) You want my answer?! Here it is!
[She hurls Tetsusaiga at him, then extends a hidden blade attached to her forearm and slashes at him, but Naraku, leaping backward, catches the sword and uses it to parry her attack. Sango attacks again and slashes through his cloak, but only black tendrils come out. Naraku leaps down to the courtyard and his cloak and mask fall off, revealing his new appearance]
- Sango: (shocked) It's you- the young lord of the castle!
- Naraku: Kagewaki was a noble lord- he gave all the demon-slayers proper burials. Ah, yes- and I was the one who ordered for your care after the massacre.
- Sango: You killed him!
- Naraku: Kagewaki is still alive- at least, according to those I've fooled into thinking I'm him.
[Sango, severely weakened by Naraku's toxic miasma and wounded by a possessed Kohaku's sickle, falls to her knees. Naraku moves Hiraikotsu with telekinesis and drops it in front of Sango; she reaches out for it]
- Naraku: (inside her head) Yes, Sango- kill him! Kill your brother, with your own hands! Slaughter him! And then- burn with a desire to live. Pray to continue wandering the world, and vow to do whatever you can to survive! When you kill Kohaku- and when you are bathed in his blood- the sacred Jewel will grow brighter with the power of the dark! The more sullied it is... the more beautiful the sacred Jewel becomes.
[Kohaku raises his sickle. Sango stretches her hand towards Hiraikotsu, but stops just as she is about to grasp it]
- Sango: (to Kohaku)...Kill you? What makes him think I'm able to kill you? (weakly, she stands and walks towards her brother, reaching out) I can't...
[As she approaches Kohaku, his expression suddenly clears. Weakened by her wounds, Sango collapses]
- Kohaku: (quietly)...My sister...
- Kagome: Naraku, you are totally despicable! Now die!!
- Naraku: She's only a young girl. Why does she have so much power? She's rendered the vapors harmless somehow. This kind of power only belongs to the priestess Kikyo. Can't be.
- Kagome: I won't let you go, even if you beg for forgiveness!!
- Naraku: This is exactly like Kikyo's enchanted arrow! Don't tell me this girl is...
Inuyasha and Kikyo: Into the Miasma
- Naraku: Tell me your name, now that you have disturbed me.
- Kikyo: My name is Kikyo.
- Naraku (thinking): Kikyo is alive? The woman I myself had trapped fifty years ago. The one who died, taking the Sacred Jewel with her.
- Miroku: Unless the spell cast in here is broken, Inuyasha will...Who's there?
- Kikyo: Inuyasha.
- Kikyo: The dead souls are...leaving. This explains it. The miasma, where it's from.
- Inuyasha: But why!!?
- Miroku: Inuyasha, no! Stay calm!
- Inuyasha: No!! I will not stay calm!! I am gonna protect Kikyo!!
- Kagome: I have to get Kikyo out of there! If don't, Inuyasha will keep protecting her. He would never ever let her be hurt, no matter how it hurts me. You're conscious. Can you stand?
- Kikyo: You little fool. By coming here, you risk Inuyasha losing you forever.
- Kagome: What are you saying? Inuyasha's trying so hard to save you, but you...Kikyo.
- Naraku: So this is the woman who restored me to life. I might not have had this new body at all if not for her.
- Kagome:Yeah right, loser! She did it to save Inuyasha, not you, so wipe that stupid smile off your face!!
- Naraku: And yet I still know her to the very woman who followed you in death fifty years ago.
- Inuyasha: No!! Don't you dare!! Don't you touch her!! Not now or ever!!
- Naraku: No. It makes no sense. If her true wish was to save Inuyasha and not break the spell, why do the one thing she ought not to have done? But she did. Kikyo as good as gave me this body herself.
Kikyo, Captured by Naraku
- Naraku: I have erected a barrier. Those servants of yours may not enter. Kikyo, what can you be thinking? Inuyasha arrived on the scene and began to do battle. Then you appeared. Your arrows have the power to break whichever spell you choose.
- Kikyo: And there you were. Your disguise is fine, Onigumo.
- Naraku: Onigumo. That fool of a bandit. He yearned for the Sacred Jewel, and called forth the demons' to be reborn as me, Naraku.
- Kikyo: That's...
- Naraku: Yes. The very thing you gave your life to erase from this world. A shard of the Sacred Jewel.
- Kikyo: They say that it was your desire to possess it that brought you to kill me.
- Naraku: That girl who is like and yet unlike you. A battle between those who can purify evil. If you yearn for this world, I beg you: Go after her.
- Naraku: Perhaps it is because of the Jewel shards. That girl alone is unaffected. Only she shall make it here. The stage has been set for you.
- Kikyo: Aren't you the clever one?
- Naraku: So she's destroyed the golum. How dare she defy me.
- Kikyo: Naraku appears frightened of you. He tries to control me with a Sacred Jewel shard, hoping I might be turned against you.
- Kagome: The Jewel shard in your chest.
- Kikyo: Surely the priestess who once took guard of the Sacred Jewel has not sunk so low as to be controlled by a mere shard.
- Inuyasha: Kikyo? Those are Kagome's Jewel shards!! Kagome. You didn't!! Don't tell it was you!!
- Kikyo: What's wrong, Inuyasha? Tell me. Why do I get the feeling you're unhappy to know I am well?
- Inuyasha: Answer me!! Just what did you do to her!!?
- Kikyo: I tried to kill her. What is that you plan to do about it? Will you kill me? Tell me. When Naraku had you under a spell, what was it that you thought about?
(Flashes back to Inuyasha's illusion)
- Inuyasha: "I...I swear I'll always protect you."
(End of flashback)
- Kikyo: Now, could you have said that if you going to kill me!? Embracing death together! Now that's a day I'll wait for.
- Kikyo: You're careless, Naraku.
- Naraku: So, Kikyo...
- Kikyo: Once your little puppet is broken, you see nothing. Remember that. Your petty feats of minor sorcery cannot affect me. As for the barrier around the castle, the one you erected to keep out Inuyasha, that easy enough for me to break. You wanted it, didn't you? I leave it to you to stand guard over. After all, who needs its power more than you? And you do need it, don't you? Demon Naraku or is it half-demon Naraku?
- Naraku: A mere half-demon, I, Naraku?
- Kikyo: True, you've disguised yourself well, but you're still that fugitive human. And the blood of who you once were can never be erased.
- Naraku: If so, why hand me the shards? Am I not the one you seek to avenge your death fifty year ago?
- Kikyo: It was only my body that died. But with this new one, I'm even stronger. I don't ask that you understand. I am going back to the temple. I will neither run nor hide. Send a messenger if you need me.
- Kikyo: Go, Naraku. Gather the shards of the Jewel. And when you have found them all, then I will send you to Hell. My soul is much freer than it was then. I am free to hate, free to love.
The True Owner of the Great Sword [Episode 35]
- Jaken: Lord Sesshomaru! Before I continue in your service, were you actually testing your sword on me?!
- Sesshomaru: (curtly) I expected a relieved welcome from you, Jaken- not an interrogation.
- Jaken: (hastily) Right- I'm glad you're well. I thought you might be dead! (He is hit by another pebble)
- Sesshomaru: (cocks his head sideways, smelling the wind) Blood... blood, and the smell of wolves. (pause) I recognize this blood.
[shortly after, he and Jaken find Rin's mangled body in the forest; Sesshomaru stares at her as Jaken comes forward to inspect her]
- Jaken: What is that? Phew! (he shudders as he sees her wounds) She's a goner, that's for sure! She must have been attacked by wolves- look at the teeth-markings! (he looks at Sesshomaru) Do you recognize this pathetic human?
[Sesshomaru has a flashback of Rin smiling at him. He draws Tenseiga.]
- Jaken: (shocked) What?! What are you doing, Sire?
[Tenseiga's blade begins to pulse; demons from the afterlife appear around Rin]
- Sesshomaru: Interesting. (to himself) I can see them- they are from the Underworld. (pause) I'll do another test- I'll use the Tenseiga.
- Jaken: Another test?! W-What are you doing, Sire- what are you doing?!
[Ignoring him, Sesshomaru raises Tenseiga and, with one slash, cuts through the Underworld demons, who disintegrate. He picks up Rin and cradles her against his pelt; after a moment, his face turns surprised when her hearts beats, she moans and her eyes open.]
- Jaken: (stunned) She came back to life! Lord Sesshomaru, you resurrected the life of that human girl with the power of Tenseiga?! (Sesshomaru sets Rin down, stands, and begins walking away) Hello? Lord Sesshomaru? (to himself) Lord Sesshomaru saving a human girl is surprising enough- but, then again, more importantly, didn't Lord Sesshomaru just say he was going to test the power of the Tenseiga once again? (outraged) Th-That would mean I was cut down with no guarantee of survival! (bursts into tears) And to think, I've devoted myself to you all of these years! Lord Sesshomaru, it's so unfair! Why did you do it? I can't understand it- Huh? Wha? (he looks up to see Sesshomaru far ahead of him, with Rin following) Lord Sesshomaru, wait, I'm coming!
- Sesshomaru: (to himself, thoughtfully) Tenseiga... you compelled me to save a human life today.
Kagura's Dance and Kanna's Mirror [Episode 41]
- Kagome: (as she tends to Inuyasha's wounds) So you're suggesting that this Kagura woman might have been born from Naraku?
- Miroku: I'm saying that we have to consider it a possibility.
- Kagome: Come on!
- Shippo: That's impossible- Naraku's a man! How could a man give birth to a woman?
- Miroku: Naraku himself was created from a host of various demons. What if one of them was torn from his body?
- Kagome: Good point- and she couldn't have been Naraku in disguise, seeing as she knew so little about us!
- Miroku: (folds his arms) In any case, whatever her story might be, if she's been created by Naraku then I'm not interested in her.
- Kagome: (smirking) Well, it's not like you're gonna go out with her!
- Shippo: (annoyed) Could you try and stay focused please, Miroku?
[Flashback of Inuyasha's battle with Kagura]
- Inuyasha: The woman had the same scent as Naraku- and the burn scar on her back was the same as his! Still, don't you think it's strange? For a woman, this Kagura possessed unusual strength. If Naraku could create someone like her-
- Sango: Right. Why wouldn't he have done so much earlier?
- Miroku: That's the point. It's not that he didn't choose to do it-
- Sango: He wasn't able to before!
- Kagome: Meaning, Naraku has recently gained some kind of new powers?
[Naraku sits in his castle, with Kagura before him]
- Naraku:... With the blows that you received from Tetsusaiga, I was able to comprehend the power of Inuyasha's sword. Go forth now, Kagura. (Kagura glares at him) Your sister, Kanna... has already been dispatched.
- Inuyasha: (concerning Koharu) I hope you understand our position, Miroku- we can't take that girl with us!
- Miroku: (sighs) I know.
- Sango: Still, we cannot simply abandon the orphan child.
- Miroku: True enough. Perhaps she can accompany us until we find a suitable family that can take the girl in.
- Sango: (dryly) At the least- seeing it was you that asked her to bear your children.
- Miroku: Oh, that. I ask the same question every single time I meet a new girl.
- Sango: Every girl except one maybe. (pause, Miroku jumps in front of her and clasps her hand in his)
- Miroku: Sango, would you consider bearing my-
- Sango: Spare me, would ya?!
- Kanna: Kagome... look into my mirror. Give me your soul.
- Miroku: Inuyasha, the villagers are clearly under someone's spell! We must not harm them!
- Inuyasha: (angrily) I know that! (punches two of the villagers and knocks them back) We ain't gettin' anywhere!
- Kagura: (smirks) You fools are so pathetic. (Miroku and Inuyasha turn to face her) You would've done well to slay them all- that way, they wouldn't keep coming after you!
- Miroku: Kagura!
- Inuyasha: Not you again!
- Kagura: Then again, I suppose if you were capable of slaying them, you would've already done so.
- Inuyasha: Are you the one who's possessed these villagers?!
- Kagura: I am. A mortal with no soul is no different from a dead man.
- Inuyasha: "Mortal with no soul?"
- Kagura: (raises her fan) Your friend Kagome is having the soul sucked out of her, even as we speak.
- Inuyasha: (enraged) You witch!
- Miroku: That must mean that there's a second demon here, with Kagura!
- Kagura: (opens her fan) Inuyasha, unsheath your Tetsusaiga! This time, victory shall be mine!
- Inuyasha: (thinking) Kagome...
- Kagura: (mockingly) What ails you, Inuyasha? Don't tell me you're afraid?
- Inuyasha; (grits his teeth) Miroku, go back to the house and help the girls.
- Miroku: Of course I will- but, what about you?
- Inuyasha: You know what. (draws Tetsusaiga) I'm stayin' here to finish this witch off!
- Kagura: Dance of Blades! (she fires her Dance of Blades attack at Inuyasha, who deflects it with Tetsusaiga)
- Inuyasha: Go now, Miroku!
- Miroku: (runs towards the house) I'm on my way!
- Kagura: Your help will arrive too LATE! (fires another attack)
The Wind Scar Fails [Episode 42]
[Kanna has trapped most Kagome's soul inside the void of her magic mirror]
- Kanna: How strange- I cannot subdue her soul. (to Kagome) Still, you are unable to move, are you not? (steps towards her) I desire the shard of the Sacred Jewel that you possess. Give it to me.
[As Kanna reaches for the shard, Kagome unexpectedly sits up, aiming an arrow at her]
- Shippo: Miroku, look! Inuyasha is wielding his Tetsusaiga- he'll cut through the Wind Scar!
- Miroku: (carrying the unconscious Kagome on his back) I must stop him. He does not yet know about the second demon- the soul-thieving apparition. Sango's weapon was thrown back at her- and the Wind Scar will be hurled back at Inuyasha!
- Inuyasha: I see it!
- Kagura: (sneering) I allowed you to see it!
- Inuyasha: The Wind Scar!
- Kagura: You wish to slice through it, I imagine?
- Inuyasha: You are mine! (he launches the Wind Scar attack)
- Kagura: (laughs coldly) Now, perish!
[At the last minute, Kagura spins around, revealing Kanna right behind her. Kanna uses her mirror to absorb and reflect the Wind Scar back]
- Inuyasha: What?! (he is blasted by his own attack) Arrrgggh! (he crashes to the ground, stunned and severely injured)
- Miroku: Inuyasha!
- Shippo: Inuyasha!
[A dark, swirling cloud of miasma forms overhead; a tornado descends from it and touches down behind Kagura and Kanna. When it lifts, Naraku is standing behind them; he steps forward]
- Miroku: It's him- Naraku!
- Naraku: (chuckles) That was indeed simple enough. I came, so that I could ask you in person how it felt to have your own power turned against you- and very easily, I might add.
- Miroku: (sarcastically, stepping in front of Inuyasha) I am indeed honored by your presence, Naraku- I rather expected a demon puppet. You are a coward who never sullies his own hands- who knows only how to lay traps! You must have been falsely confident, or else you would not have dared to show your face! (removes the rosary from his right forearm and prepares to open the Wind Tunnel)
- Naraku: (Calmly) The Wind Tunnel? You are free to draw anything into your void. (glances at Kanna's mirror) But, surely, even you could not be that foolish, monk.
- Miroku: (thinking) The souls of Kagome and the villagers are locked within that mirror! (he reluctantly wraps the rosary back around his forearm]
- Naraku: My course of action was simple: I created wind and void to act as incarnations of myself- and yet, witness the damage I was able to inflict!
- Miroku: (thinking) Incarnations? So, my suspicions were correct- Naraku's power has increased drastically, if he is capable of this level of sorcery! We have fought Kagura, the wind sorceress, before- and this other, she is... "void?" That is why we could not sense her evil- she has no presence! It's no wonder the situation went unnoticed until it was too late!
- Kagura: (opens her fan) Have we not spoken long enough? Shall we take Inuyasha's head along with us as a trophy (Naraku glares at her) No? Did you not want to tell that woman that Inuyasha had been slain? I was under the impression that this was what you desired.
- Naraku:... True enough. It was only through her cooperation that I was able to create you, and Kanna. What emotions would rise on her face if I were to show her Inuyasha's head, I wonder? (reaches into his robe and withdraws a near-complete Shikon Jewel)
- Miroku: (thinking) How can that be?! Naraku's sacred Jewel fragment is nearly whole!
- Naraku: You suggested earlier, that I do everything to avoid sullying my own hands. Even the mightiest are inferior to someone. A woman attempted to use me, so that I would murder Inuyasha for her.
- Miroku: A woman? (realizes, with shock) You don't mean-?!
- Naraku: (chuckles) She is some piece of work, that Kikyo.
- Inuyasha: (thinking) Ki- Kikyo?! (groans in pain)
- Shippo: Inuyasha- you're alive! Thank the heavens!
- Naraku: Kikyo personally handed this Sacred Jewel shard to me, of her own free will.
- Inuyasha: (thinking) Kikyo...
- Kagura: (raises her fan) She wishes to gaze upon your face- after you're good and DEAD! (she fires her Dance of Blades attack)
- Miroku: Shippo, stay down! (he deflects the attack with his staff, but is still blasted backward)
- Shippo: Miroku!
- Kagura: Now, give me your head!
[She fires another Dance of Blades at Inuyasha, but a Sacred Arrow suddenly hits the ground in front of him and deflects the attack; Kagome appears, riding on Kagura's back]
- Shippo: That's Kagome's arrow! Kagome!
- Kagura: (angrily) Her again?! You failed me, Kanna! Why did you not steal her soul?!
- Naraku: (thinking, observing Kanna's mirror) Her soul is spilling out of the mirror- does this girl really possess such an enormous soul?
- Kagome: (thinking) How did this happen- how did Naraku get ahold of the Sacred Jewel Shard? (she has a flashback of her last encounter with Kikyo) It is the very same shard that Kikyo stole away from me! (pause) Was it her that gave it to Naraku? Those shards that we worked so hard to collect, one by one- did Kikyo give them to Naraku?! (looks down at Inuyasha) Even so, even after she committed such a vile act, Inuyasha still loves her- even though he's this badly wounded, he cannot forget her.
- Naraku: Woman, pass this message on to Inuyasha: If he must hate someone, hate Kikyo. For the only thing she desires... is Inuyasha's death.
- Kagome: (angrily, drawing an arrow) I'm tired of hearing your voice! You make me sick! (notches her arrow) Take this!
- Shippo: Don't do it, Kagome! It'll fire back at you, exactly like the Tetsusaiga did!
- Kagome: I guarantee it won't- my arrow only strikes evil!
[She fires the arrow at Kanna. Kanna raises her mirror to reflect it, but instead the arrow sinks into the mirror]
- Miroku: The arrow!
- Shippo: The arrow is starting to pierce the mirror!
- Kanna: (examines the mirror, puzzled) The arrow went through- it didn't deflect.
- Kagura: (angrily) What's going on?! Why did it not strike back at her?!
- Kanna:... I understand. The arrow is made up of souls. The mirror is entirely filled- unless the souls are released, the mirror will burst.
[A crack appears in the mirror. Kanna raises it and releases all the souls she has captured, including Kagome's and Koharu's.]
- Inuyasha: (thinking, as he recovers from his wounds) Kikyo handed over the sacred Jewel shard to Naraku...Kikyo, who had died once, then rose again, with a body of clay. Kikyo, who despises me- who tried to murder Kagome. (pause) Where are you... my Kikyo?
Inuyasha's Soul, Devoured [Episode 51]
- Bokuseno: Do you seek information regarding the Tetsusaiga, your father's heirloom sword? Or, perhaps...
- Rin: A tree-demon!
- Jaken: Oh! Lord Sesshomaru, what's that?!
- Sesshomaru: A two-thousand-year-old magnolia tree.
- Jaken: I see.
- Bokuseno: It is true. The sheaths of the swords, the Tetsusaiga and the Tenseiga- passed down from Sesshomaru's father- were carved from my very own boughs.
- Jaken: They were? (thinking) So, the sheaths for their swords came from this tree! They hold such strange powers- I can see why, after seeing this creature!
- Sesshomaru: Bokuseno, perhaps you can explain the link to me... between Inuyasha and the Tetsusaiga.
- Bokuseno: (surprised) Inuyasha? Your younger brother?
- Sesshomaru: Inuyasha's blood has changed. The first time, was when a demon bit and broke the Tetsusaiga; the second time, he had let go of Tetsusaiga while fighting me.
[Flashback of Sesshomaru's previous battle with Inuyasha, in which Inuyasha transformed after losing Tetsusaiga]
- Sesshomaru: His scent wasn't that of a half-demon's. It was that of a pure demon's blood- like mine, and my father's.
- Bokuseno: His had the same scent? (chuckles dismissively) I have my doubts.
- Sesshomaru: What do you mean by that?
- Bokuseno: Inuyasha is a half-demon, born between a demon and a human. He could never become a full-fledged demon. (pause) Sesshomaru, there is something that you, a pure-blooded demon, are capable of accomplishing, but which Inuyasha could never do.
- Sesshomaru:... Go on.
- Bokuseno: ... It is simple. I speak of protecting oneself.
- Sesshomaru: "Protecting oneself?"
- Bokuseno: Yes- in battle, for instance. (pause) If you find yourself in a hopeless situation, you are able to remain calm. You never loose control of yourself.
- Sesshomaru: (scoffs) It wouldn't be possible for me to fall into such a desperate situation.
- Bokuseno: (chuckles) No, I don't suppose you would. Inuyasha is another matter, however. If backed into a corner to the point where his life is in danger, his demon blood takes control of the body, and he transforms in order to save his life.
- Sesshomaru: (to himself) That would explain his transformation.
- Bokuseno: Unfortunately for Inuyasha, the pure demon blood of his father is too strong for a half-demon such as himself.
- Sesshomaru: What will the outcome be?
- Bokuseno: Well, in essence, the demon blood will devour his human soul. He will not be able to recognize himself. He will not be able to differentiate between friend or foe. He will simply kill- and, with repeated transformations, Inuyasha will eventually lose his soul. He will become a demon who only knows how to fight and kill- and he will continue to fight, until he is destroyed. (pause) I sincerely doubt that your father would have wished such a terrible fate upon his own son. That is why, he bequeathed Inuyasha the sword Tetsusaiga, to protect his soul.
- Sesshomaru: (thinking) The Tetsusaiga protects him? So... If he releases the sword... he is doomed.
- Gatenmaru: (chuckles) It's a poisonous cocoon. With continued exposure, you'll melt away- like those fools inside. (frowns as he stares into the cocoon where Inuyasha and Miroku are trapped) They haven't disintegrated! (smiles as he understands) Oh- so they've created a barrier on the inside.
- Miroku: (projecting the barrier around them) Inuyasha, can you move at all?
- Inuyasha: Of course I can move! I'll rip this stupid cocoon apart-
[He tries to move and gasps in pain, convulsing]
- Miroku: Inuyasha!
- Gatenmaru: (smirking) You are wasting your time- you are more or less paralyzed. The poison powder has entered your bloodstream already, through the wound in your torso- it will fester, slowly.
[Inuyasha's wound is shown foaming with poison]
- Gatenmaru: Fetch the sword for me.
- Bandit: Yes, sir! (he picks up Tetsusaiga)
- Miroku: He's got your sword!
- Bandit: Here you are, Chief! (offers Tetsusaiga to Gatenmaru, but when Gatenmaru tries to take it, Tetsusaiga's barrier burns his hand, causing him to drop it)
- Gatenmaru: Arggh!
- Miroku: (thinking) Tetsusaiga has rejected him!
- Bandit: ...Chief?
- Gatenmaru: (angrily) Little man, what is the meaning of this? Why does this sword reject me?!
- Inuyasha: (sneers, weakly) I'll tell you about my Tetsusaiga- it's real choosy about its' user! And it would never let a low-class demon like you come anywhere near it!
- Gatenmaru: Oh? Then, explain why this "low-class" bandit was capable of wielding the sword.
- Bandit: (sheepishly) "Low-class bandit?" Come on, Chief! (Gatenmaru looks from him to Inuyasha)
- Gatenmaru:... I see. Very interesting, little man- you're a half- demon. (cackles) How utterly amusing! A half-demon like you had the gall to pick a fight with me, the demon Gatenmaru!
The Demon's True Nature [Episode 52]
- Gatenmaru: (notices Kagome) Ahh- a delectable-looking woman. (stands) Bring her to me.
[The bandits, cackling, draw their weapons and advance on Kagome, Sango, Kirara and Shippo]
- Sango: Why, you-!
- Bandit: Come quietly!
- Miroku: Are you alright, Inuyasha?! (notices the slime from the cocoon is sinking towards them) Oh, no! The barrier's diminishing!
[Inuyasha growls in his throat; his heartbeat changes as his demon blood begins to take over. Sango and Kirara charge and easily defeat several of the bandits, but the others corner Shippo, Kagome and two of the villagers]
- Shippo: (standing protectively in front of Kagome) What d'you want with her?!
- Bandit: We're following the chief's orders! Hand the girl over!
- Shippo: No way! You won't touch a hair on Kagome's head! (Sango and Kirara join them, and the bandits surround them)
- Kagome: Sango!
- Sango: (deflecting two men's swings with Hiraikotsu) There's too many of 'em!
- Miroku: (notices the cocoon slime is scorching his staff) It's breaking up- the barrier won't hold out much longer! Argh! (the slime scorches his shoulder) Inuyasha, are you all right?! Hang on!!
[Inuyasha doesn't answer, but his heartbeat continues to change, his body pulsing with demonic energy]
- Miroku: Inuyasha?! (to himself) What's happening?!
[Inuyasha raises his head, his eyes glowing red and full of rage; he has transformed.]
[Suddenly, the cocoon begins to shake until it explodes into shreds]
- Bandits: What's this?!
[Miroku falls to the ground; Inuyasha leaps into the air, snarling]
- Kagome: Inuyasha!
- Gatenmaru: (surprised and annoyed) He ripped through my poison cocoon!
[Inuyasha descends upon the bandits, slashing brutally at them with his claws. He kills more than a dozen of them with only a few swings, his hands are soon covered with blood. Shippo looks on in horror, Kagome shields the eyes of the boy they rescued, also looking frightened]
- Kagome: (thinking) Inuyasha...
[The remaining bandits back away from Inuyasha, terrified]
- Shippo: Oh, no! Look at his face!
- Kagome: He's transformed!
[Inuyasha turns to face Gatenmaru]
- Gatenmaru: (chuckles) You amuse me, but the show is over! (transforms into his true form of a giant moth-demon) You are no more than a half-demon! You cannot defeat me, the demon Gatenmaru! Die, little man! (he uses his wings to blow a whirlwind of poison powder around Inuyasha)
[Smiling savagely, Inuyasha leaps through the whirlwind and slashes off Gatenmaru's wing with his claws, causing him to fall to the ground; Inuyasha lands in front of him]
- Gatenmaru: (to himself) Why does he carry the scent of pure demon blood?! (he blasts more cocoon-slime at Inuyasha) Hah-I melted him! He was merely a half-demon!
- Inuyasha: You talkin' to me?! (Gatenmaru looks up to see Inuyasha descending towards him) Filthy VERMIN!
[he slashes Gatenmaru to bits. The remaining bandits flee in terror]
- Inuyasha: (smiles savagely) You won't escape!
- Kagome: (stares at him in horror) Inuyasha...
[Transformed to full-demon, Inuyasha battles Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru blasts him back, inflicting minor injuries, but Inuyasha continues to charge at him, not noticing]
- Shippo: He's cut all over!
- Kagome: Stop, already! Inuyasha!
- Sesshomaru: (thinking) Inuyasha... you feel no fear. You know no pain. The demon blood coursing through your veins is taking over your soul. (Inuyasha slashes repeatedly at him, which Sesshomaru narrowly dodges) You don't even know who you are- and you will continue fighting until you die. I came in your pursuit to see if Bokuseno's words were true. (he leaps over Inuyasha and lands across from him) And now, little brother... I understand. You are not a full-fledged demon. All you are, is a half-breed.
[Inuyasha charges again, snarling]
- Sesshomaru: (lunges, wielding Tokijin) Know your place in the world! A half-demon... should act like one. (Inuyasha leaps towards him) On your knees!
[The power of Tokijin halts Inuyasha's attack; Inuyasha resists for several moments before he is blasted back through the air, crashing to the ground]
- Kagome: Ah! Inuyasha!
[She runs towards him, holding Tetsusaiga. As Sesshomaru approaches the unconscious Inuyasha, Kagome throws herself protectively over Inuyasha's body]
- Kagome: Please stop!
- Sesshomaru: He has finally been brought down. (steps forward)
- Kagome: (angrily, with tears in her eyes) Don't come any nearer!
- Sango: Kagome, no!
- Shippo: Kagome's in trouble!
- Sesshomaru: If you wish him to stop, use Tetsusaiga to reverse the transformation. (Kagome looks surprised) Otherwise, he will continue to fight when he awakens.
- Kagome: (thinking) I thought he wanted to kill Inuyasha!
[Miroku and Sango step protectively between Sesshomaru and Kagome]
- Miroku: (suspiciously, to Sesshomaru) You could've finished him off earlier, if you'd wanted to. Instead, you merely held him off with your sword. Why did you stop at that? We all know you despise Inuyasha- I can't believe you've developed feelings for your brother.
- Sesshomaru:... I will slay him- eventually. Why kill him now, when he doesn't know himself? There would be no point. (leaves)
- Kagome: (thinking) It's almost as if he came to stop Inuyasha's violent behavior!
- Inuyasha: (stares at the bandits' corpses, shocked)... Did I do this? (Kagome and Miroku stare at him)
- Miroku: (thinking) Doesn't he remember?
- Inuyasha: (stares grimly at his bloodstained hands)... Look at me. My claws absolutely reek of the scent of the bandits' blood.
- Kagome: (thinking) The poor guy! (aloud) Inuyasha, you did it to save the innocent. That's why you attacked these bandits.
[The boy that they rescued tries to approach Inuyasha, but two of the village women pull him back)
- 1st Woman: No! He's a demon!
- 2nd Woman: If you get close, he'll rip you to pieces!
- Kagome: (stares at them) You're wrong! (Inuyasha watches the villagers, seeing the fear in their eyes)
- Boy: (pulls free) I don't care if he is a demon! He did everything in his power to save my Grandpa! He helped get rid of all the bad men!
- Inuyasha: (thinking, clenching his fist) No... I hunted those men down. The demon that I wanted to become, the power that I desired... (hangs his head) It wasn't like this.
[Inuyasha scrubs his hands frantically in the river; Kagome watches him, concerned]
- Inuyasha: (angrily, thinking) I can't get the smell of blood off my hands- it's sickening!
[He storms back to the shore and sits down; Kagome sits down next to him and offers him a towel]
- Kagome: Here.
- Inuyasha: (gruffly, looking away) Keep it. (long pause)... You don't have to force yourself to stay by me. (Kagome looks at him; after another pause, Inuyasha turns towards her) What's your problem?! You know, I wish you'd all stop pussyfooting around me, because I don't have a problem with what happened! I don't give a damn what I did!
- Kagome: (quietly) Don't kid yourself. (Inuyasha blusters for a moment then turns away, looking depressed) It must be so hard on him
[Inuyasha is startled when she puts her hands on his shoulders and leans against him]
- Kagome: Oh, Inuyasha... I know how you feel.
- Inuyasha: Kagome... (holds her hand, thinking) I don't remember a thing, from when I was transformed. It wasn't like that before. The next time I transform... I may even come after you with these claws, Kagome.
Father's Old Enemy: Ryukotsusei [Episode 53]
- Myoga: (terrified) M-Master Inuyasha, we don't stand a chance!
- Inuyasha: Hah! Save it- this battle is just getting started!
- Myoga: I already told you- it took everything in your father's power to render him dormant! More importantly, the wound inflicted upon your father during the battle was ultimately what killed him! (Inuyasha looks shocked)
- Ryukotsusei: So... he perished, did he? And you are that wretch's son? Don't tell me you came to avenge him with that rediculous little sword!
- Inuyasha: Hah- Unfortunately, I don't even remember what my old man looked like. As if I would even care about avenging his death!
- Myoga: (jumps onto Inuyasha's nose, furious) What?! How dare you say that! You've been saved countless times by the very sword that your father passed down to you!
- Inuyasha: Stop interfering!
- Myoga: (bursts into tears and leaps away) Traitorous son! I'll have nothing to do with you!
- Inuyasha: (contemptuously) Right- I know you're just running away! (Ryukotsusei slams him with his tail, throwing him into a cliff; he falls to the ground) Damn. (thinking) My fang was used to repair Tetsusaiga, and the reason it's so heavy is because I'm not as strong as my father was! (grips Tetsusaiga and gets back on his feet) I know... I must somehow defeat Ryukotsusei, and surpass my father in power!
Kikyo and the Dark Priestess
- Tsubaki: What is this? This girl, Kagome? She is your reincarnation, is she not, Kikyo?
- Kikyo: Tsubaki, I see that you have placed a curse on Kagome. Your powers will useless on the girl.
- Tsubaki: Don't underestimate me. Kikyo, I have chanced since you last defeated me.
- Kikyo: So I see. One glance tells me the entire account. Tsubaki, I know you sold your soul to a demon in exchange for youth.
- Tsubaki: Clever girl. For youth and beauty, though.
- (Flashback of fifty years ago)
- Young Tsubaki: Ah. This youth and beauty. Some day I shall lose it. Is this the fate of all mortals? No. If I can take possession of the Sacred Jewel that Kikyo guards, then my beauty shall be eternal.
- (Confronts Kikyo near the sakura trees)
- Young Tusbaki: Go, my shikigami!
- (Kikyo redirects the snake right back at her with the defective properties of her longbow)
- Young: Damn you, Kikyo!
- Kikyo: Now leave and I shall spare your life.
- Tsubaki: I wasn't able to take the Sacred Jewel from you. But I collaborated with a demon and hence forth gained eternal youth and beauty. Not to mention my own demon power.
- Kikyo: How foolish.
- Tsubaki: You're one to talk. Tell me, how is it that you appear before me looking exactly as you did fifty years ago? Kikyo, you...you're dead. That body that you're inhabiting is neither mortal nor that of a demon. It's a counterfeit. Kikyo, you live on the essence of borrowed spirits' yet you dare lecture me?
- Kikyo: I only came to ascertain the cause of the demon aura. I care not what happens to you, Tsubaki.
Three-Sided Battle to the Death
- Naraku: Kikyo has been resurrected. She looks exactly as she did before.
- Muso: She's...back?
- Naraku: Yes, although she's not exactly the same as before.
- Muso: Kikyo is alive?
- Naraku: Want her?
- Muso: Where is she!? Where is Kikyo!?
- Naraku: I'm afraid I cannot grant your wish. Return to me.
- Muso: This time I will make Kikyo my woman!
- Naraku: I don't think so.
- Muso: Stop! Let me see Kikyo!
- Inuyasha: Huh?
- Muso: I must see Kikyo!! Kikyo! Kikyo!! KIKYO!"
- Naraku: Such bitterness, such festering greed. Give it up, Muso, Kikyo is exactly the same as you- Made of nothing but clay and dirt. Her soul is a mere phantom of the past.
- Kikyo: I understand now. I am Kikyo and yet not Kikyo. That's why I resisted, yet why? Why does my heart yearn so? Inuyasha. Which does my heart wish for?
Gap Between the Ages [Episode 82]
- Kikyo: I understand. Naraku's demonic aura remains as persistent and elusive as before. (thinking) I've had my soul collectors search for Naraku's demonic aura. But there is not even the hint of a barrier. How has he hidden such a strong miasma?
- Mrs. Higurashi: (concerning Inuyasha's pained reaction) I gave him some curry, but maybe it was too spicy?
- Kagome Higurashi: (dryly) That's surprising, coming from a guy who blows off a gaping hole in his gut.
Sota's Brave Confession of Love [Episode 90]
[Inuyasha accompanies Kagome for a shopping trip in modern Tokyo, wearing a baseball cap to cover his doglike ears]
- Inuyasha: (irritably) Huh! How come I get stuck being dragged all over your village like this?!
- Kagome: Take it easy! We've got a long journey ahead of us, so we've gotta stock up on supplies!
- Inuyasha: Wasn't it you that told me not to go out in public, last time I was here?
- Kagome: (cheerfully) Yeah- but that was then, and this is now! (chuckles)
- Inuyasha: (to himself) She's got a line for everything.
Koga and Sesshomaru: A Dangerous Encounter [Episode 99]
[A ogre seeking Koga's Jewel shards attacks; Koga kicks it in the head, and it blunders towards Sesshomaru]
- Jaken: Look out, my Lord! (Sesshomaru draws Tokijin and kills it with one blow)
- Koga: Thanks, but I coulda handled him myself.
- Rin: (frightened) Help me, Master Jaken!
[Sesshomaru turns to see a centipede demon about to attack her; Jaken tries to fight it but is knocked to the ground. Sesshomaru starts towards her, but Koga, using his Jewel-enhanced speed, reaches them first]
- Koga: No humans for you, worm!
[He delivers several sharp kicks, smashing the demon to pieces; as he lands, Rin stares at him in surprise. Koga walks back towards Ginta and Hakaku; they flinch as he nears Sesshomaru]
- Sesshomaru: (as Koga passes him) Unnecessary interference.
- Koga: (smirks) Feeling's mutual.
- Jaken: O-kayyy...
- Ginta and Hakaku: Okay?
- Koga: (puts his hands on Ginta and Hakaku's shoulders) Come on, fellas, we have a long way to go. [They leave with their pack of wolves]
- Jaken: A-are you content with letting them go, my Lord? Those wolves of Koga's are the very ones who attacked young Rin!
- Sesshomaru: If he had tried the same thing today, I would have killed him. (pause) Naraku is the only one I'm concerned about, now; unnecessary conflicts don't interest me.
Hidden in the Mist: Onward to Mt. Hakurei [Episode 109]
- Miroku: You're right about Suikotsu. It's almost as if he possesses two different hearts!
- Kagome: I think you're right.
- Miroku: Huh?
- Kagome: I've heard of it before- it's called a "split personality"! Another, completely different personality hidden in the subconscious has emerged!
- Inuyasha: (to Suikotsu) I dunno about all of that, but I do know that I was right about you belonging to the Band of Seven!
- Renkotsu: Suikotsu! (tosses Suikotsu his tiger-claw gauntlets) Here ya go.
- Suikotsu: (smirks as he puts on the gauntlets) So, then... I seem to recall you asking to do battle with me. (raises the claws) Well, you're about to get your wish. (Inuyasha glances at Tetsusaiga) What's the matter? Are you to frightened to fight without your mighty sword?
- Inuyasha: (cracks his knuckles) Huh- not likely! Are those claws of your all you got goin' for ya? 'Cause you're gonna need a heck of a lot more than that, you filthy two-faced liar!
- Inuyasha: Die! (he slashes, but Suikotsu easily dodges despite being human)
- Suikotsu: (smirks) Your moves are too showy!
- Inuyasha: Huh?!
- Suikotsu: I'll show you what close-quarters combat is all about! (he launches an onslaught of quick, continuous strikes at Inuyasha, slashing him across the chest and drawing blood) If you keep backing away like this, how will you turn me into mincemeat?!
- Inuyasha: Shut up!
- Jakotsu: (irritably) Ohh, boy- why do I always get stuck with the dirty work?
- Renkotsu: (thinking) If we kill the children, there will be nothing left to distract Suikotsu. Then, he'll be able to suppress that troublesome doctor. (chuckles)
[The two children look up to see Jakotsu standing over them]
- Jakotsu: Don't worry, it'll all be over quick. (raises his Snake-Sword)
- Suikotsu: Stop! (clutches his head, as Inuyasha and Jakotsu watch him in surprise) Please, stop! I beg you!
- Jakotsu: (growls in frustration) Suikotsu... come on!
- Renkotsu: (thinking) Something is preventing Suikotsu from completely taking over. If we kill the children, it may push him over the edge, and we may lose him. Could it be the barrier of Mt. Hakurei?
Fare Thee Well: Jakotsu's Requiem [Episode 120]
[After Bankotsu defeats Renkotsu]
- Renkotsu: (frightened and angry) How is what I've done any different from what you've done?!
[Bankotsu tears out Renkotsu's Shikon Jewel shard; Renkotsu crumbles into a skeleton]
- Bankotsu: ...The difference is... I would never betray my friends.
Miroku's Past Mistake [Episode 161]
- Kagome Higurashi: (concerning Miroku's past relationship with Shima, a girl he cured of sickness) And? The two of you became fast friends?
- Miroku: No!
- Shima: Miroku gave us the medicinal herbs, then vanished almost as suddenly as he'd appeared.
- Miroku: (smirking) Hear that?! Innocent of any wrongdoings!
- Shima: Except... (Miroku gulps)
- Miroku: (in flashback) I hope when you are well, you will consider bearing my child, Shima.
- Shima: Two things kept me going: the expensive medicinal herbs, and the promise I made to Monk Miroku! That's how I completely recovered.
[Sango whacks Miroku over the head with Hiraikotsu]
- Kagome: See?! You were trying to seduce her!
- Sango: (sarcastically, whacking Miroku over the head repeatedly to emphasize her words) It's ok. After all, it was a thing of the past.
[Having resolved their differences, Miroku and Sango are walking together again; Sango glances at him, blushing when he looks back at her]
- Kagome Higurashi: (walking behind them with Shippo and Inuyasha) I was just thinking: If he had only told her the truth sooner, none of this would have happened!
- Shippo:... Just a second. Hey, Miroku! Maybe it just took you a long time to remember what was what! (Miroku and Sango both freeze)
- Inuyasha: (quietly, to Shippo) That was a bull's-eye.
- Sango: (grabs the collar of Miroku's robes and hoists him off the ground) Is that true? Well- is that it?
- Miroku: (smiles guiltily) I don't know, it just...happened so long ago!
Forever with Lord Sesshomaru [Episode 162]
Season Seven: The Final Act
- Kagome: This is Midoriko's cave. Midoriko was a priestess who had lived hundreds of years ago, battling demons with her vast spiritual powers. Until the demons' merged into one. Midoriko seized the demons' very spirits, forcing out her own. The crystallization of her spirit is known as the Shikon Jewel.
- Inuyasha: Kikyo!
- Kikyo: Inuyasha, I take it you followed the soul-collector?
- Inuyasha: Kikyo, what do you intend to do with Midoriko's spirit?
- Kikyo: (pulls her robes back from her shoulder, revealing her poisoned wound) This was from Naraku at Mount Hakurei.
- Inuyasha: Weren't you healed?
- Kikyo: For a short time, yes. But as you can see, the wound has now reopened. That is why I took Midoriko's soul. Using it is the only option I have. Otherwise, this body will be reduced to bone and soil before I can annihilate Naraku. Midoriko was priestess who had died, slaying demons. In many ways, you might say, that she and I share the same soul. I am sure she will understand my reasons for doing this.
- (Falls down into the water)
- Inuyasha: Kikyo!! Her wound is healing.
- Inuyasha: Are you okay now? That wound isn't going to reopen again, will it?
- Kikyo: I do not know. That is why I must make haste.
- Inuyasha: Can't you just wait until I defeat Naraku?
- Kikyo: You cannot defeat Naraku with a sword. Listen to me, Inuyasha: Destroying Naraku requires the obliteration of his entire being, including his spirit. It doesn't matter if you destroy his body again and again. Naraku was originally created when demons' were merged into the body of the thief Onigumo. From the beginning he's had no true body. And I fear that the Shikon Jewel is the only power great enough to exterminate his soul. The Shikon Jewel must be restored at once! There will only be one chance! When Naraku obtains the complete Jewel, it will become completely defiled by his hand and merge with him. At that instant, we must purify the Jewel and Naraku with it. And I am the only one capable of this.
- Inuyasha: Wait!! Kikyo!!
- Kikyo: Inuyasha, now is not the time for hesitation! And it is too late now to turn back!
- Inuyasha (thinking): Completing the Sacred Jewel requires taking Kohaku's fragment, which would mean taking Kohaku's life. Kikyo, you're not the woman capable of that, are you?
The Great Holy Demon Spirit's Test
- Kikyo: I know why you've come.
- Kohaku: I'm here because I want you to use my shard.
- Kikyo: Is that so? I'm aware you have been following me for quite some time. Do you understand what it will mean if I use your shard? Do you realize what will happen to you?
- Kohaku: I understand. I'm willing to sacrifice my life.
- Kikyo: Am I to believe, then, that you do not fear death?
- Kohaku: I do not.
- Kikyo (thinking): His eyes show no fear. Not even the slightest hesitation. Is life so painful for you that you welcome death? It saddens me greatly to think that if we had met under different circumstances, my own instinct would have been to heal this child's broken spirit and encourage him to live his life. But my duty now forbids me from doing that for him. Forgive me, Kohaku.
The End of Moryomaru
- Koga: There's no mistaking it. That's Moryomaru's sent. Huh?
- (Sees Kikyo and Kohaku together on the cliff)
- Koga: It's that woman.
- Kohaku: What is it, Lady Kikyo?
- Kikyo: Kohaku, we are in the presence of another Sacred Jewel fragment.
- Kikyo: Your name is Koga, is it not? Have you also come here in pursuit of Moryomaru?
- Koga: Yeah, I have. You, too, right?
- Kikyo: Listen to me: Cease your pursuit of Moryomaru. (she notches an arrow in her bow and aims it at Koga)
- Koga: Lady, I heard you were reckless, not stupid.
- Kikyo: I have no intention of taking your life. I need only for you to give me the Sacred Jewel fragments in your legs.
- Koga: (scoffs) All right! Now I'm sure you're insane.
- Kikyo: You must have noticed by now. Those shards in your legs are being controlled by the will of another. I'm sure you experienced the sensation many times now, where your legs stopped moving in the face of an enemy.
- Koga: Kagome told me about it. She said it's happening because of an ancient priestess named Midoriko.
- Kikyo: And now I have joined her spirit with mine for the sake of defeating Naraku. In order to destroy him, the Shikon Jewel must be completed and purified as a whole. Every time your legs stop moving, it is because Midoriko is trying to give Naraku your shards. However, if you lose your shards in the midst of battle, you may very well lose your life as well.
- Koga: Oh, I see! So you were just hoping I'd hand over my shards and run away, right?
- Kikyo: I made a vow to bury Naraku. You have my word.
- Koga: Don't give me that!! You listen to me!! You're not the only who's got a score to settle with Naraku!! He murdered dozens- no hundreds- of my fellow wolf-demon tribe members!! And still you expect me to run away just to save myself!!?
- (Kikyo fires her sacred arrow, but Koga successfully jumps out of the way)
- Koga: Guess you were aiming for my legs! Big mistake. Well, it's been interesting. But if I waste anytime here, I'll never catch up with Moryomaru. See ya, Kikyo! (runs off)
- Kohaku: Lady Kikyo.
- Kikyo: I tried to prevent an unnecessary sacrifice but I failed.
- Kohaku: Moryomaru is getting away. We should go quickly!
- Kikyo: Yes.
- Kohaku: Lady Kikyo, an enormous demonic presence.
- Kikyo: Indeed. It would appear that Moryomaru is not alone.
- Kohaku: You mean Naraku is there, too?
- Kikyo: Hmm.
The Mausoleum of Mount Azusa
- Inuyasha: Hey, scrawny wolf! You're lucky to be alive. If you were smart, you'd give us your shards and go back to your wolf-demon pack!
- Koga: Huh! You're starting to sound like Kikyo. I guess it's no surprise, considering you two were an item, right?
- Inuyasha: That's none of your damn business!! and I'll kill ya!!
- Shippo (thinking) Having Koga around really changes his mood. I don't like it.
- Naraku: During the battle, I sensed Kohaku's fragment emitted a frighteningly pure light. It occurred to to that if I were to take it carelessly my Shikon Jewel would be instantly purified and I myself along with it. I believe that is Kikyo's very intention.
- Naraku: So she's free. She's escaped my web.
- Bakuya: So what will you do, Naraku?
- Naraku: Isn't it obvious? I will take Kikyo's life as I had originally planned.
Among the Twinkling Stars
- Naraku: (sneering) Kikyo... as long as my spiderweb connects us, there can be no secrets. I am well aware of the hatred and contempt you feel towards me... not to mention your lingering affection for Inuyasha. (Kikyo stiffens) Oh, isn't it a pity, Kikyo- dying in the arms of your most hated enemy, knowing you will never again see your beloved Inuyasha?
- Inuyasha: NARAKU! LET HER GO! (slams Tetsusaiga into Naraku's arm)
- Naraku: (enraged) Inuyasha!
- Kagome: Kikyo! (to herself as she draws it) I only have one arrow- I can't afford to miss!
- Kikyo: (flashback) There is only one way- you must shoot my wound using this bow. Only that can purify Naraku's contamination.
- Kagome: (to herself) It's ok- I'll show them! I'll hit it!
[she notches the arrow into her bow, but as she aims at Kikyo, Kikyo opens her eyes and looks straight at her]
- Kikyo: (silently) Wait.
- Kagome: Hmm? What? (she lowers her bow) You don't want me to shoot yet?
[Kagome aims her bow at Kikyo, who has the Shikon Jewel embedded in her neck]
- Naraku: What's this? So, you've found the jewel, have you? (he smashes the cliff under Kagome's feet with his tendrils, and she falls)
- Inuyasha: Kagome!
[As Kagome falls, she is caught by Kikyo's soul collectors, who carry her down towards Kikyo]
- Kagome: Thank you, Soul Collectors!
- Naraku: (furious) Damn you! (he lunges his tendrils towards Kikyo)
- Kagome: (to herself) He's trying to take back the Shikon Jewel! (aloud) I won't let that happen!
[she fires her arrow of purification. The arrow reaches Kikyo first, striking the Shikon Jewel; as Naraku's tendrils are about to strike her, they are purified. The Soul Collectors, having carried Kagome to the ground, gather around the arrow and propel it towards Naraku, with the pure Shikon Jewel at its' tip.]
- Naraku: (to himself) Now I see- you wish to purify me and the Jewel!
- Kikyo: (to her soul collectors) Go!
[As the arrow nears him, Naraku releases a burst of miasma; the Jewel purifies it, but its' glow begins to fade]
- Kagome: The cloud of miasma's defiling the Jewel!
- Naraku: Watch me consume it- (the arrow and the Jewel strike him in the chest) What?!
[Bolts of purifying energy crackle around Naraku, paralyzing him; the diamonds encasing Koga shatter]
- Inuyasha: Kikyo's spiritual energy is destroying Naraku! They're coming loose! (he pulls Koga free and leaps away, but at the last minute, Naraku desperately rips Koga's Jewel shards from his legs)
- Koga: My Shikon Jewel shards!
- Inuyasha: Who cares about that right now?!
[Naraku screams in agony as the energy continues to blast him]
- Kagome: Kikyo's spiritual energy is fighting it out with Naraku's demonic energy! Can you see it, Kikyo? Naraku's in pain right now!
- Kikyo: Kagome... the rest is up to you.
- Kagome: What?! (she notices the Shikon Jewel going black) His demonic energy's overcoming it!
- Naraku: (chuckling as the arrow is destroyed)... I've won. (he howls with cruel laughter)
- Kikyo: Kagome... protect the last shard. Protect...Kohaku's light. This is something only you can do, now.
- Kagome: You can't mean that! You'll be okay, and I couldn't possibly- (notices Kikyo is dying) Kikyo! But, I shot you with the bow, just like you wanted me to- it should have purified the wound!
- Naraku: (floating down towards them, sneering) Kikyo... it appears you've lost. (he swings a tendril at them, and Kagome shields Kikyo with her body)
- Kikyo: (to herself) We shall see, Naraku. You'll only know whether I truly lost, or not, when you die.
- Inuyasha: (slicing off the tendril with Tetsusaiga) Not so fast, Naraku!
- Naraku: (smirks) Only one shard, left... and no one to stop me. We'll see how courageous you are without Kikyo protecting you.
- Miroku:... I had the chance to destroy Naraku. If I had done it, things wouldn't have ended up this way.
- Sango: Miroku...
- Miroku: But I didn't do it. (clenches his fist, voice shaking) I was so afraid for my own life, that I hesitated to open the Wind Tunnel! That woman saved my life, she needed my help, and I just-
- Sango: (grabs his hand) That's not true. I think Kikyo knew what was going to happen, and she wanted you to live, for my sake.
- Miroku: Sango...
- Sango: (with tears in her eyes) I thought I despised Kikyo. All I knew, was that she was willing to sacrifice my brother and his shard to defeat Naraku. His life didn't seem to matter to her. However, when I saw her try to save Koga, I realized I was wrong about her. Kikyo was fighting to protect Kohaku's life- she'd been fighting to protect all of us!
- Koga: (to himsef) Well, my Jewel Shards are gone... but I'm still alive. Was that your plan for me, Kikyo?
- Kagome: (crying) It didn't work! I thought I could save her, but I couldn't do anything! It took me too long- I had too much doubt- I couldn't get back in time to save her! Poor Kikyo...
- Koga: (staring at Kikyo and Inuyasha) Damn that Naraku. He kept telling her that she would never see Inuyasha again... but, he made it in time.
- Kikyo: (as she is dying in Inuyasha's arms) It's been so long... do you remember those days, Inuyasha? When we were happy... long before Naraku tore us apart?
[In a flashback fifty years before, Inuyasha and Kikyo sit together on a riverbank]
- Kikyo: Inuyasha, would you be willing to use the Shikon Jewel to become a human?
- Inuyasha: Well, if I were to become a human, what would you do, Kikyo?
- Kikyo: I am the guardian of the Shikon Jewel- but, if it did not exist, I'd be an ordinary woman.
[return to present]
- Inuyasha: How could I forget? Back then, I wanted to become human... so we could spend our lives together.
- Kikyo: (smiles, closes her eyes)... At last, I have become an ordinary woman.
- Inuyasha:... Kikyo, you were the first woman that I ever loved. The fist person that I ever cared for. But, I... I still couldn't save you. (a tear falls from his eye and lands on Kikyo's face; she opens her eyes)
- Kikyo:... You've never done that. Inuyasha, I think that's the first time I've ever seen you cry.
- Inuyasha: (voice shaking, in tears) Kikyo, I'm sorry. You needed me, and I couldn't save you!
- Kikyo: It doesn't matter. You came for me. That was enough. (smiles)
Sesshomaru in the Underworld
Flowers Drenched in Sadness
- Kanna: (reciting a poem to herself as she walks across the field where Kagura died) "Flowers wither and lose their color, much as I, reflect in vain, time lost to the long rain." (she sees Kagura's fan lying on the ground and picks it up) Kagura... Are you free, now? Did you ever... become the wind?
[In his fortress, Naraku is still recovering from the wound Kikyo inflicted on him; he has a flashback of her arrow and the jewel striking him and almost purifying him]
- Naraku: (staring at the Shikon Jewel) It's still there... one ray of purity, within the Shikon Jewel. Despite my efforts to defile it, the stubborn point of light remains. In our last battle, it lent power to Inuyasha's blade- it could still cost me my life. Kikyo... even in death, you continue to haunt me. Damn you.
- Inuyasha: Kagome, are you all right?
- Kagome: Fine- how about you?
- Inuyasha: I'm all right- thanks to you.
- Kagome: (to herself) He wept tears of blood- whatever happened, it must have been pretty hard for him.
- Inuyasha:...Kagome, before you came... I had a dream about Kikyo.
- Kagome: Oh?
- Inuyasha: When I saw her... she asked me to go with her.
- Kagome:... Did you want to?
- Inuyasha: I never answered. You woke me up.
- Kagome: (to herself) That doesn't answer my question.
- Inuyasha: I couldn't save Kikyo's life... and, that caused me a lot of pain. For some reason, I- I didn't want help. I thought it was something I had to go through alone. I guess... I was so focused on my own suffering, I couldn't see yours. I never... realized, you were in pain, just like me. (bows his head) Forgive me, Kagome.
- Kagome: Ok. (Inuyasha looks surprised) I'm just glad you came back. The thing is, Kikyo's death was hard for all of us. But, I know that it must have been especially hard on you. I understand- it'll all be ok.
- Inuyasha: Kagome, you- I don't get it. How are you so strong?
- Kagome: I am not strong, you idiot! (scared, Inuyasha jumps back and falls down) You should be asking why I'm so kind. I'm kind.
- Inuyasha: (hastily) Right- you're kind, very kind.
- Kagome: (turns away, smiling, to herself) He might be clueless, but I'm still glad he came back.
Sango's Feelings, Miroku's Resolve
A Complete Meido
In Pursuit of Naraku
Magatsuhi's Evil Will
The Day of Days
When the Jewel is Whole
- Naraku: (thinking to himself, as he observes the completed Shikon Jewel)... It all began long ago, with the simple dream of a villain who was clinging to life- a prisoner inside his own body. (flashbacks show the wounded Onigumo being tended to by Kikyo, then being consumed by the demons and transforming into Naraku) Kikyo- to claim this beautiful priestess as his own, and escape this dark cave. That was the villain's only desire. He fed his body to demons to fulfill that wish. Many demons were drawn to the villain's body; there, they were united as one. Thus, Naraku was born!
[Flashbacks show Naraku mortally wounding Kikyo while disguised as Inuyasha, Inuyasha's attempt to steal the Shikon Jewel from the village, Kikyo's sealing Inuyasha to the Sacred Tree, her dying instructions to Kaede, and the burning of her body and the Jewel.]
- Naraku: (to himself) Fifty years have passed since then. It's been a long time, Kikyo. The Shikon Jewel was supposed to have been lost in the flames that consumed your remains, and yet... it now rests in the palm of my hand.
- Byakuya: (observing Rin, who is lying unconscious in front of Naraku) The Shikon Jewel has been fully defiled by Naraku now- so much so that Magatsuhi himself will no longer be able to go back inside of it.
- Naraku: Our fates are tied, Inuyasha. For, as you and your group's hatred towards me grew, I consumed and transformed your rage, and channeled it into the Shikon Jewel. Now, at last, the defiled Shikon Jewel is complete. By the end of this battle, you and your friends will be consumed by the very darkness you helped to create. Kikyo's light has died.
[As the group approach Naraku's miasma storm]
- Kagome: Poor Shippo- it must be hard to have been left behind. (Inuyasha scoffs)
- Miroku: That was quite unexpected- hearing Inuyasha sound so sensitive.
- Inuyasha: What?
- Sango: (smiles mockingly) Indeed- all that stuff about "If we don't come back?"...
- Inuyasha: I had to say that, or Shippo never would've agreed to it!
- Kagome: (laughs) Why bother, if you were just gonna punch him?
- Inuyasha: You're right! I should've just knocked him unconscious to begin with.
- Kagome: (dryly) That wasn't my point. (her expression becomes grave) But this is going to be dangerous. My spiritual power is still sealed by Magatsuhi, and who knows when it'll come back?
- Inuyasha: Well, it won't happen until Sesshomaru uses Tenseiga to finish off Magatsuhi.
[Ahead, Sesshomaru has located Naraku's new form, which is that of a gigantic, armored black spider]
- Sesshomaru: (contemptuously) You've transformed, Naraku- but, you're still just a spider, to be stepped on. (several demons approach him, but Sesshomaru draws Bakusaiga and swings it) BAKUSAIGA! (the demons are obliterated)
- Byakuya: (appearing above him) I must admit, that new sword of yours is really something.
- Sesshomaru: Byakuya of the Dreams.
- Byakuya: One swing in a demon's direction leaves a crumbling corpse- and, if that corpse is re-absorbed by the main body, it too will crumble. (mockingly) Naraku won't have a chance, even in his new form- so, by all means, swing away. (Sesshomaru glances back towards Naraku; Rin is shown deep inside his body, guarded by Magatsuhi) Or, are you worried about your little companion? As you may have guessed, she's there- inside Naraku.
[As the group enters Naraku's body, Naraku emerges from a chasm]
- Kagome: It's him!
- Inuyasha: Naraku! (he draws Tetsusaiga and cleaves Naraku in half as he and Kagome land, but Naraku just laughs as his severed head spews miasma)
- Naraku: You finally made it inside. I've been waiting for you.
- Miroku: (as he, Sango and Kirara land next to them) Inuyasha!
[Naraku's body pulsates around them]
- Naraku: Will you destroy me from the inside? Start where you like. (his face emerges from a wall) Everything around you is me!
- Sango: Hiraikotsu! (she hurls Hiraikotsu and destroys Naraku's face, which again spews miasma; Naraku's face appears again from another wall.)
- Inuyasha: It's miasma!
- Naraku: Don't tell me you didn't notice? The fact is, you and your companions have been exposed to my miasma ever since you entered my body. Yet, curiously, none of you have died. Do you know why? It is because the Shikon Jewel desires your souls.
- Byakuya: (observes Naraku's giant spider form, curled into a ball) Well... it looks just like the Shikon Jewel.
- Inuyasha: Dammit! Kagome, where's the Jewel?
- Kagome: Huh? That way! (she and Inuyasha run down a tunnel)
- Inuyasha: We're better off trying to find the Jewel than trying to re-group with Miroku and Sango!
[Suddenly, he freezes and an evil aura begins to pulse around him]
- Kagome: (stops) Huh? Inuyasha?
[ Inuyasha turns, revealing that he has transformed to his full-demon form; Kagome gasps and leaps back as he slashes at her with his claws, snarling]
- Naraku: (his eye appears from the wall) Don't look so surprised. Surely, you must have realized what it would mean to approach the Shikon Jewel after I defiled it. Inuyasha is but a weak half-demon; it seems his spirit has been consumed by the Jewel's poison.
- Kagome: Hey, snap out of it! (Inuyasha lunges and slashes her arm, drawing blood; she cries in pain)
- Naraku: What's wrong, Kagome? All you need to do is calm him down and purify him. (Kagome runs, Naraku chuckles coldly) But you can't, can you? Not as long as your spiritual power remains sealed by Magatsuhi. (Inuyasha pursues her) You cannot escape! The demon form of Inuyasha will not rest until he's ripped your body to shreds.
[Kagome runs to the edge of a chasm and stops, cornered; she turns back to face Inuyasha, holding up her bow defensively]
- Naraku: I shall give you a present. (an arrow forms in the air before her) An arrow that's been completely covered in my miasma. If you use it on Inuyasha, your life will be spared.
[Kagome recalls how Naraku manipulated Kikyo and Inuyasha against each other]
- Kagome: (angrily) Do you think I'm that stupid, Naraku?! You could never get me to hurt Inuyasha- and he would never hurt me!
- Naraku: You think he's not capable of it? You will soon understand. History will repeat itself, Kagome. Like Kikyo, you too, will be slain by Inuyasha.
[Inuyasha suddenly lunges forward and strikes at Kagome, knocking her over the ledge]
- Kagome: (as she falls) Inuyasha...
- Naraku: (laughs) Poor, foolish girl...
Naraku: Trap of Darkness
Naraku: Trap of Light
Naraku's Uncertain Wish
- Naraku: (laughs coldly as his body reassembles) The power of darkness feeds off the monk and Sango's sorrow!
- Inuyasha: Damn you, Naraku!
- Naraku: Ironic, isn't it? the stronger their love is for each other, the greater their despair. The monk and Sango will soon be no more; they have chosen to die together. Even now, they wait for his Wind Tunnel to swallow them both. Do you understand, Inuyasha? The two of them will soon be consumed by the darkness of the Shikon Jewel!
- Inuyasha: (draws Tetsusaiga) I'm not gonna let that happen, Naraku! I'll defeat you here and now, and lift the curse of the Wind Tunnel for good! (Tetsusaiga's blade turns black) Meido Zangetsuha!
[As Inuyasha launches the attack, Naraku draws the Jewel into his torso]
- Kaagome: (to herself) Naraku is joining with the Shikon Jewel!
[Spiderweb-shaped tendrils shoot out of Naraku's body, anchoring him and holding him against the Meido attack]
- Inuyasha: (shocked) He's not being sucked into it!
- Kagome: Is that the power of the Jewel? (Naraku's face cracks with the strain of resisting the Meido, but he is left intact)
- Naraku: All those years ago, the Sacred Jewel was supposed to have burned with Kikyo's corpse, and been obliterated from this world. Even so, the Shikon Jewel used Kikyo's lingering affections for Inuyasha, as well as Kagome's, her own reincarnation, to return to this world. Shattered but not destroyed, the Jewel continued to bring new disaster as it slowly but surely reassembled. The Shikon Jewel will never disappear from this world. Even if I am destroyed, it will live on. (Kagome looks surprised by his words)
- Kagome: Naraku...What were... what were you even trying to accomplish?
- Inuyasha: Huh? (to himself, staring at her) Kagome...
- Kagome: The whole time you've been fighting against us, it's always the same thing, over and over again! First you tore Kikyo and Inuyasha apart, forced Sango and Kohaku to fight against each other- and now, you're trying to use the love between Miroku and Sango to destroy them! You can't stand love and friendship, so you've devoted your entire life trying to break people apart! But why? Is that all you really wanted?
- Naraku: (scoffs)...Why ask me now?
- Kagome: You couldn't have done any of those things without understanding the human heart. The pain of loss wouldn't mean anything to you if you didn't know what it felt like to have a bond with someone!
- Inuyasha (to himself) Kagome, what are you doing?
- Kagome: Nothing will ever satisfy you, because the Shikon Jewel didn't grant your real wish! (Naraku stares at her, stunned)
- Naraku: (to himself) This woman...
- Kagome: You were hesitating, weren't you? Because you know that the Shikon Jewel turns every body that it absorbs into a true monster.
- Naraku (to himself) My hesitation...
- Kagome:You have a complete Shikon Jewel in your hands, and yet we both know you still haven't tried to absorb it!
- Naraku: (enraged) That changes nothing. Are you so naive that you think you can purify my heart with empty words?! Well, you were sadly MISTAKEN! (counterattacks)
- Inuyasha: Naraku!! You and I may be nothing alike, but we are both half-demons! That means that in both of us, there is a human heart and a demon heart, Naraku! But you have betrayed that! (Naraku glares down at him) We were both given the freedom to choose- to follow our human heart, or our demon heart- and you chose to live as a demon, ignoring all that was human in you! You chose to hurt others, and curse them with misery and suffering! But your days of hurting my friends are OVER, YOU MISERABLE BASTARD!
[Inuyasha fires off another Meido attack; this time, instead of a huge sphere, it separates into multiple blade-shaped crescents, slashing through Naraku's tentacles]
- Naraku: (to himself) Eh?! (the Meidos do heavy damage to his core body)
- Inuyasha: (amazed, to himself) Meido took the form of blades!
- Naraku: (to himself) Impossible- my tentacles are gone!
- Totosai: (watching from the ground, with Myoga)... So, Meido Zangetsuha has evolved.
- Myoga: (jumps up and down on his shoulder) Wonderful! Does this mean that the technique now fully belongs to Master Inuyasha?
- Totosai: Yes. As you know, Meido Zangetsuha was first achieved using Sesshomaru's Tenseiga, a sword that cannot cut. Thus, the original method of opening the Meido and sending foes to their death was best suited to that sword.
- Myoga: So, the fact that Inuyasha was able to produce this new Meido-
- Totosai: Inuyasha's sword and technique have finally united as one. Meido has taken the form of a blade, and that is a reflection of Inuyasha's Tetsusaiga.
- Kagome: (notices the Jewel in Naraku's chest) The Shikon Jewel! (arms her bow) If I can just pierce it- (to herself) If I can pierce the Shikon Jewel, Naraku will be destroyed!
[Desperate, Naraku moves the ground under Kagome's feet, throwing her and Inuyasha into the air; he uses the pause to regenerate his tentacles]
- Inuyasha: Kagome! (he catches her and they land)
- Naraku: It's futile. Attack me all you like, but you are still inside my body, you fool; I'll only keep regenerating.
- Inuyasha: Fine by me! I'll keep slicing ya up all day! Naraku, I'm gonna sever you from those tentacles, and every other attachment you ever had to this world- and that includes any ties you still have to the Jewel! Prepare yourself- Meido Zangetsuha!
[He launches another barrage of Meido blades, cutting Naraku to pieces again]
- Naraku: (to himself, as he fights to resist the Meido) Damn you, Inuyasha!
[Naraku's outer body is beginning to fall apart]
- Inuyasha: Give it up, Naraku! It's all over!
- Naraku: So it would seem. (his face cracks again) However, Inuyasha, I'm afraid that there is still one thing that not even your Tetsusaiga- or Sesshomaru's Bakusaiga- can cut.
- Inuyasha: What?! Why don't you just admit that you've lost?! (Naraku chuckles coldly)
- Kagome: Your soul? Is that what you're talking about? I'm pretty sure that's why I'm here! I'm here to purify your soul, Naraku!
- Naraku: (smiles, to himself) Give it your best shot, Kagome- this will end with a battle between souls!
[Suddenly, Byakuya appears behind Kagome, holding his Meido sword.]
- Inuyasha: (turns) It's Byakuya!
[Byakuya swings the sword, striking Kagome across the back as she turns towards him; she falls to her knees, but shows no sign of injury. The Shikon Jewel pulses suddenly; Naraku smiles with satisfaction.']
- Inuyasha: (enraged) Bastard! (he fires off a Meido Zangetsuha at Byakuya)
- Byakuya: (calmly, as he disintegrates into the Meido) I am but an incarnation of Naraku, who will die when he does. I have no regrets- I have fulfilled my role.
- Shippo: Kagome! (he turns into his balloon form and flies under Inuyasha and Kagome, allowing them to land on him)
- Kagome: Shippo!
- Inuyasha: What're you doin' here?!
- Shippo: (irritably) A thanks would be nice- I came to help you guys!
[Sango and Miroku fly past on Kirara; Miroku opens the Wind Tunnel]
- Miroku: Wind Tunnel! (he begins sucking in the miasma projectiles Naraku is hurling at them)
- Inuyasha: (shocked and worried) Miroku!
- Miroku: It's okay, I'm fine now! The curse of the Wind Tunnel is already fading!
[A burst of Bakusaiga's energy blows a hole in the wall, and Sesshomaru comes flying through, followed by Kohaku, Rin and Jaken on Ah-Un.]
- Inuyasha: (to himself) Sesshomaru?
- Kohaku: (to Sango) Sister!
- Rin: Sango!
- Sango: Kohaku! Rin!
- Kohaku: (to himself) I'm so glad that Sister is safe.
[the energy from Bakusaiga continues to damage Naraku's outer body]
- Jaken: (triumphantly) Bakusaiga's destruction is spreading! I knew Lord Sesshomaru would be the one to defeat Naraku!
- Naraku: (staring down at all of them, contemptuously) ...So, you're all here. (sneers) You and your worthless group of so-called "friends."
- Inuyasha: (firmly) Yeah... all of us. Everyone survived.
Thoughts Fall Short
- Kagome: "Nothing will ever satisfy you because the Shikon Jewel didn't grant your real wish!"
- Naraku: (wistfully) My real wish, you say? That's right. Now I remember. All I ever wanted was Kikyo's heart. Hmm (Kagome's purifying arrow approaches him). It seems I won't be joining Kikyo- in this... or the next world.
- Naraku: (as he is dying above the Bone-Eater's Well) At that very moment... I made a final wish upon the Shikon Jewel.
- Kagome: "That moment"?
- Naraku: The moment Byakuya of the Dreams cut through you with his blade.
- Shippo: Hang on! She was cut by Byakuya?
- Naraku: That wish shall be granted when I die. However, it was not my wish to begin with. The Shikon Jewel forced me to make its wish. In the end... I was but its instrument.
- The Scared Jewel (in a low and soft male voice): The well has been sealed. There is nowhere for you to go.
- Kagome: It's the Shikon Jewel!
- Kagome: Where am I!? What did you do to me!?
- The Sacred Jewel: Kagome, you are where you've been all along.
- Kagome: That's impossible! I was at home and going to high school!
- The Sacred Jewel: That was an illusion, nothing more. It was glimpse of the future you might have had. Do you wish to return to that world? It's not too late. Wish upon the Shikon Jewel and what you saw shall be yours once more. That or do nothing and you shall spend the rest of eternity here, alone in the darkness.
- Inuyasha: What? A human?
- Demons' Spirits: That is the priestess who created the Shikon Jewel.
- Inuyasha: So that's Midoriko?
- Demons' Spirits: She has been doing battle with us for hundreds of years ever since the Jewel was born. And Kagome will suffer the same fate.
- Inuyasha: There's no way I'm gonna let that happen!! Huh? Naraku!? You're still alive?
- Demons' Spirits: He's dead but soon he shall come back to life. When Kagome gives in to her fear of the darkness, and falls prey to the traps set by the Jewel, Naraku will awaken and a new battle of spirits shall begin within the Shikon Jewel. A battle that will continue forever. From the very moment the Jewel was first transported through time to the Feudal era; from the beginning this has been Kagome's fate.
- Inuyasha: So that's why the Shikon Jewel brought Kagome and Naraku here!? It wants their spirits to fight each other for all eternity?
- Demon Spirits: Kagome was born to become a part of the Jewel and fight within it. That is the point of her existence.
- The Sacred Jewel (in a soft and low male voice): Do you wish to see Inuyasha? Answer me, Kagome. Do you wish to see him?
- Kagome: Just like Kikyo. She wished to see Inuyasha again. And even Naraku. I'm sure his wish was a modest one, too. What they didn't know was that the Shikon Jewel never grants your real wish.
- The Sacred Jewel: Then what will you do?
- Demon Spirits: It is as we've told you. There is only one way for the two of you to meet again. And that is for Kagome to wish upon the Jewel and be trapped within it as a fallen priestess. You've made it worse, half demon. For the sound of your voice has only given Kagome false hope.
- Inuyasha: What?
- Demon Spirits: Now she will undoubtedly make a wish. "Inuyasha, I want to see you again."
- Inuyasha: Kagome!!
- Demon Spirits: We will never let her hear your voice again!
- Inuyasha: Shut up!
- The Shikon Jewel: Be true to your heart, Kagome. You want to see Inuyasha. Wish it and it shall be so.
- Kagome: Is the one and only correct wish? The one and only correct wish. I just figured it out. I understand now.
- Kagome: If Inuyasha hadn't come, I would have given in my fear of the darkness and would never have found the correct answer. But now, with Inuyasha by my side, I am not afraid anymore. Shikon Jewel, disappear! Forever!
- (The Jewel breaks, emanating a soft yellow light. The spirits of the demons' vanish, and the spirit of the priestess Midoriko, now free to pass on to the afterlife. In the spiderweb, Naraku's eyes open.)
- Naraku:... So, this is how it feels, to be at peace... It feels so warm. (vanishes as he is purified)
- Kagome: It's over.
- Inuyasha: (embraces her) Yeah. It's finally over.
Affections Touching Across Time
- Kagome: The Sacred Tree. This is where I first met Inuyasha. And it's where Kikyo and Inuyasha parted. They were so close. They understood each other. And still loves Inuyasha.
- Karon: This girl possesses unusually strong spiritual powers. Is she a priestess?
- Harai: Impossible. Look at the odd way she's dressed.
- Menomaru: Use this.
- Karon: A Sacred Jewel shard?
- Menomaru: One with power as great as mine has no need for it.
- I figured that "collecting" of items and companions was the basis of storytelling.
- Rather than say I want to write a lot of characters, when it's a long-running serialization, the number of characters just multiplies. But, having a lot of characters helps me write a lot of stories without it getting boring.
- Writing characters to have happy endings is so I can feel good about the story once I've finished it. Even when I'm writing stories with a lot of sadness and hardship, I like stories where it's all redeemed somewhere.
- Even with villains, I'm unable to write a character that I truly hate. When I'm writing evil characters, I think a lot about why they became evil, and what sort of background and motivation they have. I couldn't write them any other way.
- The biggest issue was whether to have the heroine Kagome remain in the past or the present at the end, and since the anime's completion in 2004, I'd been constantly torn about it. As a result, that was the time I had the feeling I should be storyboarding the final chapter. Regardless of which world she chose, "separation" was unavoidable, so in the end, I decided I wanted to go in a direction where Kagome was happy, and people would still be pleased when they finished reading.
- Rumiko Takahashi, "Rumiko Takahashi interview after the end of Inuyasha", Shonen Jump, January 2009.