Jaws 2 is a 1978 horror-thriller film in which Police chief Brody must protect the citizens of Amity after a second monstrous shark begins terrorizing the waters. It is the second film in the Jaws movie franchise, continuing the story of the 1975 film.
- Directed by Jeannot Szwarc. Written by Carl Gottlieb and Howard Sackler, based on characters created by Peter Benchley.
Chief Martin Brody
- [as the shark approaches Brody] All right, you big bastard! Come On! I've got something for ya' now! That's it! Attaboy, come one! Right over here! Open wide OPEN WIDE! SAY AAH!
- Ellen: [at a fundraiser benefit] Where the hell have you been?
- Brody: Late.
- Ellen: That I figured. Honey, this is a big deal for me
- Brody: Well, Hendricks had the keys to the jeep, and I couldn't find the spares.
- Ellen: Terrific. Listen, do me a favor and act as if you've been here the whole time.
- Brody: How do I do that?
- Ellen: Just look bored.
- Brody: Hendricks. I want to go over your reports and your Form 908.
- Hendricks: [after they go into Brody's office] I never heard of a 908.
- Brody: I just made it up. It means, "Get me out of there."
- Ellen: Why don't you take a half day and clean this junk up?
- Brody: Because, I'm in the middle of a boating accident, I got only four regular cops and one secretary, and a Chief Deputy who is constantly fiddling with the police boat. He's another one.
- Ellen: One what?
- Brody: What is it about this place? Everybody's a boat freak.
- Ellen: It's an island.
- Brody: You better check the bite radius.
- Dr. Elkins: The what?
- Brody: The shape of the mouth?
- Dr. Elkins: Whale's mouth?
- Brody: Shark's mouth.
- Dr. Elkins: What shark?
- Brody: The shark that did this.
- Dr. Elkins: We don't know that, do we?
- Brody: That's what we're here to find out.
- Dr. Elkins: And we will
- Brody: I have had some experience with sharks.
- Dr. Elkins: Oh, have you?
- Brody: Yeah. And I think a-- I think a Great white might've done this.
- Dr. Elkins: Carcharodon carcharias?
- Brody: Right.
- Dr. Elkins: What makes you think there might be one in these waters?
- Brody: Well, it's obvious that, uh-- That a big fish took a bite out of this big fish.
- Dr. Elkins: This is a mammal, not a fish.
- Brody: Don't quibble with me. Is it a shark bite or isn't it?
- Dr. Elkins: Possibly. Then again, this is a killer whale. It would have to be a shark of considerable size.
- Brody: I know that dolphins communicate. I mean, they send signals. You don't think that if a shark was destroyed, that another shark could, could come and--
- Dr. Elkins: Sharks don't take things personally, Mr. Brody.
- Mayor Vaughn: I think we have a hell of a good season going for us.
- Brody: That's swell, Larry, but I have to talk to you alone.
- Mayor Vaughn: We're alone.
- Brody: I think we may have another shark problem.
- Mayor Vaughn: [slightly alarmed] Are you serious?
- Brody: You bet I'm serious. I've got a half-eaten whale on the beach. I've got two persons missing. This whale has got a bite out of it about this big.
- Mayor Vaughn: Martin, no one has seen a shark. Be realistic.
- Brody: I think the selectmen should know about it. I know it's just a feeling, but you've got to understand. Larry, for Christ sakes, I not only have this attack, but I've got, I've got two water-skiers--
- Mayor Vaughn: A tragedy, but a boating accident. No fin, no sharks. Nothing but a boating accident.
- Brody: Their boat's still missing.
- Mayor Vaughn: We have a lot of deaths in these waters that never turn up. Are they all shark victims?
- Brody: Maybe they are.
- Mayor Vaughn: Oh, bullshit.
- Brody: Bullshit? Is it bullshit, I got a whale on the beach with a bite in it this big?
- Mayor Vaughn: What am I, an ass? When you called me, I called Elkins and her bosses. Nothing she saw is proof of anything.
- Brody: So that means we're not gonna do anything, huh?
- Mayor Vaughn: Martin, don't press it this time.
- Brody: Well, I've got to get back to work.
- Mayor Vaughn: Okay.
- Brody: Okay, Larry, but you just remember this conversation. You just remember it!
- Mrs. Taft: Good morning. Selling some more of the good life?
- Ellen: Oh, yeah... Piece of this, piece of that - it all adds up.
- Mrs. Taft: [about Chief Brody in the watchtower] Your husband's been here all morning. What's he doing?
- Ellen: His job.
- Mayor Vaughn: Brody is riding his tower.
- Len Peterson: Oh, shit!
- Brody: [showing an underwater photo] That's a shark. Look at the outline. Look at the mouth, the eyes.
- Len Peterson: Is that what it is? Sorry, I just don't see it.
- Mrs. Taft: Neither do I. It's nothing.
- Mayor Vaughn: Martin, it could be anything.
- Brody: Wait a minute. Are you people telling me I don't know what a shark looks like?
- Len Peterson: Brody, this is nothing. Seaweed, mud, something in the lens.
- Brody: Lens, my ass!
- Len Peterson: You're damn right it's your ass!
- Mayor Vaughn: Now be reasonable, please.
- Brody: Reasonable, what, with him?
- Len Peterson: Goddamn it, will you listen to the man? Will you just listen to him? "Be reasonable." Look, Brody, you started a panic on a public beach. You shot up the damn place. God knows who you could've injured. What if somebody decides to sue us? Did you ever stop to think about that? It could ruin us.
- Brody: You don't have to worry about being sued or being ruined, if this turns out to be what I think it is, because there won't be anybody here.
- Mayor Vaughn: Now, Martin, let's not--
- Brody: Let's not what, Larry? What?
- Len Peterson: Larry, come on. Let's just forget it. He won't listen. It's obvious the man has made up his mind.
- Brody: You bet your life I've made up my mind. But I'm telling you and I'm telling everybody at this table that that's a shark. I know what a shark looks like, because I've seen one up close. And you better do something about this one, because I don't intend to go through that hell again!
[Len scowls at Brody before shamefully looking at his notes]
- Mayor Vaughn: Martin, could you wait here for a minute?
- Brody: [angrily] For what?
- Mayor Vaughn: [calmly] Please, just have a seat... While we look at the picture and make up our own minds.
- Brody: [slightly calm] All right. I'll have a seat, for what it's worth.
- Mayor Vaughn: Thank you. Gentlemen, please. [Harry Wiseman, Mr. Posner, and Mrs. Taft pick up their notes and adjourn to the mayor's office. Len Peterson scowls at Brody again for a few seconds before getting up and going into the mayor's office as well; Mayor Vaughn follows him inside and closes the door.]
- Brody: I never been fired before. You know that? I mean, once when I was 17, when I was a kid, yeah, but... never from a real job. Nobody ever told me I couldn't hack it.
- Ellen: They're not saying that.
- Brody: Yes, they are. They are. Maybe they're right. I'm tired. Tired. I'm too damn tired.
- Ellen: Too damn drunk. That's what you are, too damn drunk.
- Helicopter Pilot: [over radio] That you, Brody?
- Brody: Yeah, Ed, listen, did you have a fix on those kids yet?
- Helicopter Pilot: Negative - I'm still down.
- Brody: Well, you'd better get the hell up, because I'm out here all alone!
- Michael: Look if you're gonna get in the way, you can just go home!
- Sean: I'm not in the way! Andy, am I in the way?
- Andy: You're always in the way.
[Marge overhears the argument; she approaches Sean and playfully grabs him]
- Marge: Is this guy causing you trouble?
- Sean: [as Michael watches Jackie and Brooke approaching] Put me down!
- Marge: Come on, you can go out in my boat.
- Sean: [delighted by Marge's offer] Yeah!
- Michael: [to Marge] You want him? You can have him.
[Marge grins with giggly delight and she and Sean walk off past Brooke and Jackie as Timmy appears]
- Andy: I think you just made someone very happy.
- Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
- tagline written by Andrew Kuehn ("Andrew Kuehn, 66, Innovator In the Movie Trailer Industry," The New York Times, February 3, 2004)
- One good bite deserves another!
- Roy Scheider - Chief Martin Brody
- Lorraine Gary - Ellen Brody
- Murray Hamilton - Mayor Larry Vaughan
- Joseph Mascolo - Len Peterson
- Jeffrey Kramer - Deputy Lenny Hendricks
- Collin Wilcox - Dr. Lureen Elkins
- Ann Dusenberry - Tina Wilcox
- Mark Gruner - Michael Brody
- Barry Coe - Tom Andrews
- Susan French - Grace Witherspoon
- Gary Springer - Andy Williams
- Donna Wilkes - Jackie Peters
- Gary Dubin - Eddie Marchand
- John Dukakis - Paul 'Polo' Loman
- G. Thomas Dunlop - Timmy Weldon
- David Elliott - Larry Vaughn Jr.
- Marc Gilpin - Sean Brody
- Keith Gordon - Doug Fetterman
- Cynthia Grover - Lucy
- Ben Marley - Patrick
- Martha Swatek - Marge
- Billy Van Zandt - Bob
Encyclopedic article on Jaws 2 at Wikipedia
|Films||Jaws (1975) · Jaws 2 (1978) · Jaws 3-D (1983) · Jaws: The Revenge (1987)|
|Documentary||The Shark Is Still Working (2012)|
|Miscellaneous||The Ride (1990–2012) · Frank Mundus|