- Compromise, hell! That's what happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?
- (1959), as quoted in The New York Times.
- Crime rates and irresponsibility among Negroes are facts of life which must be faced.
- New York Times interview (1981)
- I've been portrayed as a caveman by some. That's not true. I'm a conservative progressive, and that means I think all men are equal, be they Slants, Beaners, or Niggers.
- North Carolina Progressive (February 6, 1985), as quoted in the Democratic Alliance.
- I didn't come to Washington to be a 'yes man' for any president, Democrat or Republican. I didn't come to Washington to get along and win any popularity contests.
- In 1989, as quoted in The New York Times (2008)
- I reject that criticism because this is indeed another kind of holocaust, by another name. At last count, more than 40 million unborn children have been deliberately, intentionally destroyed. What word adequately defines the scope of such slaughter? [After 9/11] the American people responded with shock, sadness and a deep and righteous anger — and rightly so. Yet let us not forget that every passing day in our country, more than three thousand innocent Americans are killed [through abortion].
- As quoted in Here's Where I Stand (2005)
Quotes about Helms
- Why Won't Jesse Helms Just Hurry Up and Die?
- Ken Lawrence, "Why Won't Jesse Helms Just Hurry Up and Die"