Hendrik Johannes Cruijff OON (25 April 1947 - 24 March 2016), more famous as Johan Cruyff, is a former Dutch footballer and is currently the manager of the Catalan national team as well as a member of the AFC Ajax board of directors. He won the Ballon d'Or three times, in 1971, 1973 and 1974, which is a record jointly held with Michel Platini, Marco van Basten and Lionel Messi. Cruyff was one of the most famous exponents of the football philosophy known as Total Football explored by Rinus Michels, and is widely regarded as one of the greatest players of all time.
- The main problem in Britain is that there are too many competitions and too many games. There is no time to prepare properly for Europe or to introduce new ideas because there is far too much emphasis on domestic football.
- Sadly, they played very dirty. This ugly, vulgar, hard, hermetic, hardly eye-catching, hardly football style... If with this they got satisfaction, fine, but they lost.
- Criticising the Dutch team's play in the 2010 World Cup final, in BBC Sport (12 July 2010).
- It hurts me that Holland chose an ugly path to aim for the title.
- BBC Sport (12 July 2010).