Lethal Weapon 2
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Lethal Weapon 2 is a 1989 buddy-cop action movie that is a sequel to Lethal Weapon, starring Mel Gibson as Martin Riggs and Danny Glover as Roger Murtaugh.
The villains in this movie are drug-smuggling South African diplomats.
- [While hanging onto the hood of a car] I'd like to see your driver's license and proof of insurance!
- We're back, we're bad. You're black, I'm mad. Let’s go!
- I’m a Peeping Tom, Rog, it goes with the badge. And it's fun sometimes, too.
- Don’t bother to call the police, I'm here already.
- I’m surprised you haven't heard about me, you know, I got a bad reputation, sometimes I just go nuts, like now. [Crazy giggle]
- I’m not a cop tonight, Roger, it’s personal. I’m not a cop.
- No, man. I didn't die on your toilet, I'm not gonna die in your arms.
- [Injured, being held by Murtaugh, he hears sirens approaching] Give us a kiss before they come.
- Of course I'm black. That’s why I wanna go to South Africa. To join up with my oppressed brothers. To take up the struggle against the tyranny of the racist, fascist, white, minority regime!...One man, one vote!...Free South Africa, you dumb son of a bitch!
- You're breathing, you're alive, you’re not dead. No, don’t die. You're not dead until I tell I tell you, you got that? You got that, Riggs? You’re not dead until I tell you. You got that, Riggs! You’re not dead until I tell you.
- They’ve been de-kaffir-nated!
- I remember, because 9 is my lucky number.
- [while listening to a chase on the radio]
- Cavanaugh: 20 bucks on Riggs and Murtaugh.
- Cop #2: Who’s driving?
- Captain Murphy: Murtaugh. In his wife’s station wagon.
- Cop #2: I'll take that bet!
- Cavanaugh: I knew nothing about the wife’s station wagon. Bet’s off!
- Captain Murphy: Hey! Shut up!
- Murtaugh: Japanese?
- Riggs: Well, it’s a Japanese radio.
- Murtaugh: Maybe they bought the LAPD too.
- Riggs: They own everything else.
- [After freeing himself from a straitjacket by dislocating his shoulder, for the amusement of the other cops]
- Riggs: Well if it isn't Mrs. Sigmund Fraud.
- Dr. Woods: My door is always open, Sergeant.
- Riggs: Well, I think we should keep this on a professional level, don't you, Doc?
- Dr. Woods: Why do you do this to yourself, Riggs?
- Riggs: Well, who else am I supposed to do it to? [Indicates the other cops] None of them'll let me. Besides, I need the money.
- [Murtaugh turns off the TV after seeing that Rianne’s commercial is about condoms.]
- Murtaugh: [Calmly] Trish, take the kids upstairs.
- Carrie: Daddy, we learn about this every day in human devolvement.
- Murtaugh: In human what?! Human development what?! Trish!
- Carrie: Development, Daddy. Chill out.
- Murtaugh: Human development?!
- Trish: Come on guys, upstairs. Nick, upstairs. You know how your father is.
- [after Riggs and Murtaugh give Leo a tuna sandwich from the drive-thru]
- Leo: Excuse me. Excuse me. Excuse me! Fellas!
- Murtaugh: What?
- Leo: Excuse me, guys. This is tuna. I hate tuna, okay? I refuse to get stuck with tuna. Now, come on.
- Murtaugh: Hey, Leo, don't eat the tuna.
- Leo: Oh, where were you? I just said that. I'm not eating this. I'm not eating tuna. Come on. Let's go back.
- Murtaugh: We're not goin' back. So, just shut up!
- Leo: Oh, sure. Don't go back. Okay. Okay, don't go back. That's it. Can I give you two guys a friendly piece of advice, okay? Don't ever go up to the drive-thru! Okay? Always walk up to the counter. You know why? Okay. Okay. They fuck you at the drive-thru! Okay?! They fuck you at the drive-thru! They know you're gonna be miles away before you find out you got fucked! Okay? They know you're not gonna turn around and go back. So they don't care. Who gets fucked? Oh, Leo Getz! Okay, sure! I don't give a fuck! I'm not eatin' this tuna! Okay?!
- Riggs and Murtaugh: SHUT UP!!
- Captain Murphy: I got something special for you boys. A guy by the name of Getz, Leo Getz has been placed in protective custody. And you two guys are gonna babysit him until Washington sends out the feds.
- Riggs: How long?
- Captain Murphy: Soon as all the red tape is processed. Couple, three days. This guy Getz is gonna testify before a commission of inquiry. Drugs, laundered money, et cetera, et cetera. This is not a shit assignment.
- [Riggs starts smoking]
- Riggs: Yes, it is.
- Captain Murphy: No, it isn’t.
- Murtaugh: [coughs from Riggs' smoke] It is.
- Captain Murphy: It isn’t.
- Murtaugh: Captain, it’s a shit assignment.
- Captain Murphy: Shut up, the both of ya.
- [Another cop comes in and hands the Captain a file.]
- Captain Murphy: I guaranteed this guy’s safety.
- Murtaugh: Why us?
- Captain Murphy: Because you two are the most qualified for the job. And, after last night, you could use the break.
- Murtaugh: I can handle last night.
- Riggs: What are we supposed to do with him?
- Captain Murphy: How the hell should I know? Take him to Disneyland.
- Riggs: Oh, this stinks. This stinks. This stinks!
- Captain Murphy: I don’t give a fuck, Riggs. That’s why I don’t have an ulcer, because I know when to say, "I don’t give a fuck." Now here’s where he’s staying. It’s a nice hotel; all the expenses are being picked up by the Justice Dept, so enjoy yourselves. And Riggs, one more thing!
- Riggs: [turns back] What?
- Captain Murphy: [tosses him a small "no smoking" sign] You know what that says?
- Riggs: Yeah, yeah, same thing as that. [points to the larger sign next to him on the door, smirking] But I don’t give a fuck. [throws the small placard back and walks out]
- Murtaugh: [wafts the smoke away from him] You’re lucky. I have to live with that.
- Riggs: Shut up.
- Leo: Okay, I get it. Bad cop, good cop.
- Murtaugh: Shut up.
- Leo: Okay, okay, bad cop, bad cop. I know the routine.
- [Murtaugh is on his toilet with a bomb underneath ready to blow]
- Murtaugh: I'm gonna die on the toilet.
- Riggs: Guys like you don't die on toilets.
- Consulate Envoy: What can I do for you today?
- Leo: Okay, I have this problem, this very delicate matter. I have a friend of mine, wants to emigrate to South Africa.
- Consulate Envoy: Yes, of course. I can certainly help him do that.
- Leo: Oh sure. But I want you to talk him out of it.
- Consulate Envoy: Talk him out of it?
- Leo: Yeah.
- Consulate Envoy: Whatever for?
- Leo: W-well, you see, this is such a bad time for him to go to South Africa. I mean with all the trouble and everything, okay.
- Consulate Envoy: Look, why don’t you ask your friend to come back later in the week. We can sit down-
- Leo: No, he’s here. He’s here.
- Consulate Envoy: He’s here?
- Leo: Yeah, he’s here now.
- Consulate Envoy: Where?
- Leo: Alphonse! Alphonse?
- [Murtaugh comes around the corner]
- Murtaugh: How you doing?
- Consulate Envoy: [dumbstruck] I think there must be some mistake.
- Murtaugh: Say what?
- Consulate Envoy: Sir, listen to your friend, here. He knows what he’s talking about. I don’t think you want to go to South Africa.
- Murtaugh: Why not?
- Consulate Envoy: B-Because you’re black.
- Leo: [to Murtaugh] You are. [to Envoy] He is.
- Murtaugh: Of course I'm black. That’s why I wanna go to South Africa. To join up with my oppressed brothers. To take up the struggle against the tyranny of the racist, fascist, white, minority regime!
- Leo: White, fascist regime!
- Murtaugh: One man, one vote!
- Leo: One man, one vote!
- Murtaugh: Free South Africa, you dumb son of a bitch!
- Leo: ...ya dumb son of a bitch!
- Murtaugh: Riggs, we’re not going to the fucking stilt house. We’re under orders!
- Riggs: Well then the stilt house is gonna have to come to me. You don’t understand, Rog, they killed them both. They killed them both. They got Rika and my wife.
- Riggs: Don’t try and stop me, Rog.
- Murtaugh: Yeah, I’ve seen that look in your eyes before.
- Riggs: They declared war on the police.
- Murtaugh: You know about that?
- Riggs: I heard it on the radio.
- Murtaugh: We don’t have the authority.
- Riggs: Cavanaugh...Wyler...Shapiro...Rika, Vicky— How much fucking authority do you need?
- Murtaugh: You got a plan?
- Riggs: Drive around the front of the house...wait for my signal...and then just go in and shoot those fuckers.
- Murtaugh: They got Leo.
- Riggs: [look to Murtaugh] Be careful.
- Murtaugh: Wait. What’s your signal?
- Riggs: You’ll know it when it happens.
- Murtaugh: Somehow, I think I will know.
- [Rudd shoots Riggs, then holds his ID in front of his face]
- Rudd: Diplomatic immunity.
- [Murtaugh shoots him through the ID/head]
- Murtaugh: It’s just been revoked.
- Mel Gibson as Detective Martin Riggs
- Danny Glover as Detective Roger Murtaugh
- Joe Pesci as Leo Getz
- Joss Ackland as Arjen Rudd
- Derrick O'Connor as Pieter Vorstedt
- Patsy Kensit as Rika van den Haas
- Darlene Love as Trish Murtaugh
- Steve Kahan as Captain Murphy
- Lethal Weapon 2 quotes at the Internet Movie Database