New York Mets
The New York Mets are an American professional baseball team based in New York City. The Mets are a member of the National League East Division of Major League Baseball (MLB). The Mets are one of two Major League clubs based in New York, the other being the New York Yankees. Their colors are composed of the Dodgers' blue and the Giants' orange, which also comprises the outer two bands of the New York City flag. One of baseball's first expansion teams, the Mets were founded in 1962 to replace New York's departed National League teams; the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Giants. The team never finished better than second to last until the 1969 "Miracle Mets" beat the Baltimore Orioles in the 1969 World Series in what is considered one of the biggest upsets in World Series history.
Quotes from popular culture
- God: I don't do miracles. They're too flashy. And they upset the natural balance.
- Jerry Landers: No miracles, huh? I knew it.
- God: Oh, maybe now and then just to keep my hand in. The last miracle I did was the 1969 Mets. Before that, I think you have to go back to the Red Sea. That was—that was a beauty.
- Griffin: It's a gigantic pain in the ass—but it has its moments.
- Agent J: But this game doesn't happen until October.
- Griffin: But it's always October, and November and March—so many futures and they're all real, just don't know which one will coalesce. Until then, they're all happening. Like this one, it's my favourite moment in human history. All the things that had to converge for the Mets to win the World Series—they were in last place every single season until they won it all.
- Agent K: You said you had a gift for us.
- Griffin: That baseball, for instance, thrown for the last out of game five, manufactured in 1962 by the Spalding factory of Chicopee, Massachusetts, was aerodynamically flawed due to the horse hide being improperly tanned because Sheela, the tanner's wife, left him for a Puerto Rican golf pro that Sunday.
- Agent J: [doing the time-out gesture] Um, gift.
- Griffin: Oh, oh, oh. Yes, of course, [looking at a Cracker Jacks box] in the box. [Agent K removed the prize package from box] Uh, i-i-it's the surprise, to protect the Earth, it's the shield. [Agent K opens package, removes the arc net]
- Agent J: Shield. Arcanan, arc net—that's what you did, you put up the arc net.
- Agent K: How did I do that?
- Griffin: When that ball is pitched to Davey Johnson who only became a baseball player because his father couldn't find a football to give him for his eighth birthday, it hits his bat two micrometres too high causing him to pop out to Cleon Jones, who would have been born Clara, a statistical typist, if his parents didn't have an extra glass of wine that night before going to bed. A miracle is what seems impossible but happens anyways.