(Redirected from Normalcy)
Quotes about normality
- I wouldn't say I'm normal, but I'm relatively stable. When I think of normalcy I think of mediocrity and mediocrity scares the fuck out of me.
- Cornello: Oh? Then why are you so anxious to get this stone? You want to beat the laws of equivalency just as I do and bring your mommy back!
- Edward: Wrong, holy man! All we want is to get our bodies normal again. See, we don't lie about what's possible. We didn't start a cult.
- Fullmetal Alchemist (anime), Body of the Sanctioned (Body of Taboo) [1.02] written by Shō Aikawa
- Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.
- Albert Camus, Notebook IV in Notebooks: 1942-1951
- America's present need is not heroics, but healing; not nostrums, but normalcy; not revolution, but restoration.
- Warren Gamaliel Harding, quoted in Frederick E. Schortemeier, Rededicating America (1920), ch.17
- Scully: Mulder, it's the dim hope of finding that proof that's kept us in this car, or one very much like it for more nights than I care to remember. (Mulder looks at her fondly) Driving hundreds if not thousands of miles through neighborhoods and cities and towns where people are raising families and buying homes and playing with their kids and their dogs, and... in short, living their lives. While we - we - we just keep driving.
- Mulder: What is your point?
- Scully: Don't you ever just want to stop? Get out of the damn car? Settle down and live something approaching a normal life?
- Mulder: (defensive) This is a normal life. [Scully smiles to herself.]
- The X-Files Dreamland, written by Vince Gilligan, John Shiban and Frank Spotnitz
- The note I wanted; that of the strange and sinister embroidered on the very type of the normal and easy.
- Henry James, Prefaces (1909), "The Altar of the Dead"
- Society highly values its normal man. It educates children to lose themselves and to become absurd, and thus to be normal. Normal men have killed perhaps 100,000,000 of their fellow normal men in the last fifty years.
- Ronald David Laing, The Politics of Experience (1967), p. 28
- Normal is enormously susceptible to swinging with the gusts of politics and history. Disguised as scientific and fixed, it is subjective and protean. That is why I used the word normative above, a term derived from statistics, simply meaning what most people do.
- Judith Levine Levine, Judith (2003). "Therapy". Harmful to Minors. Thunder's Mouth Press. p. 48. ISBN 1-56025-516-1.
- Mithos Yggdrassil: People fear and hate what is not normal. They are scared of those that are different. Then the solution is for everyone to become the same.
- Lloyd Irving: I’ve been thinking about that for a long time. Someone asked me why I came all the way to Tethe’alla… what it is I want to do. I want a world where everyone can have a normal life. I’m tired of people having to become sacrifices. I’m tired of discrimination. I’m tired of people becoming victims. I’m tired of it all.
- Tales of Symphonia, written by Takumi Miyajima
- There's a notion I'd like to see buried: the ordinary person. Ridiculous. There is no ordinary person.
- Kristen Kilar: Are you about to ask what a normal person like me is doing in a place like this?
- Mulder: How do you define normal?
- Kristen Kilar: Misha, red wine... I don't. How do you?
- Mulder: All I know is... normal is not what I feel.
- The X-Files 3, written by Chris Ruppenthal, Glen Morgan and James Wong
- I want you to belong somewhere, to have roots of your own. With David you will be able to find those roots and live normally like any woman should do. Believe me, my dear, your future lies with David and not with a silly old buffer like me. One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
- First Doctor The Dalek Invasion of Earth, written by Terry Nation
- The Normal is the good smile in a child's eyes - all right. It is also the dead stare in a million adults.
- Peter Shaffer, Equus, Act 1, Scene 19