One Tree Hill (Season 1)
- 1 Season 1
- 1.1 Pilot [1.01]
- 1.2 The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most [1.02]
- 1.3 Are You True? [1.03]
- 1.4 Crash Into You [1.04]
- 1.5 All That You Can't Leave Behind (aka Where I End And You Begin) [1.05]
- 1.6 Every Night Is Another Story [1.06]
- 1.7 Life In A Glass House [1.07]
- 1.8 The Search For Something More [1.08]
- 1.9 With Arms Outstretched [1.09]
- 1.10 You've Got To Go There To Come Back [1.10]
- 1.11 The Living Years [1.11]
- 1.12 Crash Course In Polite Conversations [1.12]
- 1.13 Hanging By A Moment [1.13]
- 1.14 I Shall Believe [1.14]
- 1.15 Suddenly Everything Has Changed [1.15]
- 1.16 The First Cut Is The Deepest [1.16]
- 1.17 Spirit In The Night [1.17]
- 1.18 To Wish Impossible Things [1.18]
- 1.19 How Can You Be Sure? [1.19]
- 1.20 What Is And What Should Never Be [1.20]
- 1.21 The Leaving Song [1.21]
- 1.22 The Games That Play Us [1.22]
- 2 Cast
Dan : Nathan. Remember, 20 shots -- no less.
Nathan : Got it, dad. Dan: Quit yakking and warm up.
[ At the Game: Cheers and applause ]
Announcer : Basket by Nathan Scott! He really looks sharp out there tonight. And now a steal by the ravens. They'll go on the offensive. Coach Whitey Durham urges them on. Tim Smith -- he's got Scott! And he hammers it home! ! He's already got 14 of the Ravens' 17 points tonight. Turn around jumper ... Nathan Scott! We haven't seen talent like this since his father, Dan, played for whitey. Here's Scott again -- another one! It's all Nathan Scott!
Mouth : And here he is, ladies and gentlemen, Lucas Scott. What's happening, baby? 137 and 3 going into tonight's contest.
Junk : He sucks.
Mouth: And as a special bonus, we're joined in the booth by Junk Moreti.
Junk : You don't have a booth.
Jimmy : Actually, he's 138 and 3 -- Lucas.
Junk : Jeez, Edwards, but you can't remember to run a bar of soap under your pits? You smell bad, man. You're ripe.
Whitey : You guys are stinking up the place! Time-out! Time-out! Get in here! Ravens! Come on, hustle, hustle, hustle! Just what in the hell is going on out there?
Nathan : Whitey, relax. We're up by 9.
Whitey: Tim...Go in for Nathan. All right, let's get out there and act like we've played the game before.
Players : Ravens on 3. 1, 2, 3. Ravens! Ravens! Ravens! Ravens! Go!
Whitey : What have I told you about that? I don't care if we're up by 5 or 50. I'm still the coach. It's still my team.
Nathan : Whatever you need to believe.
[back at the park]
Mouth : Lucas Scott with the ball. And he currently nurses a big winning streak. Come on. 14-13, game point for team Scott. Oh!
[The scene switches back and forth between the park and the Gym]
Announcer: And the hawks pull within one. And you have to wonder where is Nathan Scott?
Whitey: Go on.
Peyton : Let's go, Nathan! Don't bother showering tonight.
Mouth : For those of you at home, Lucas wears his black shorts tonight with his traditional white high-tops.
Jimmy : He is currently playing without a shoe contract, Mouth.
Annoncer : Under 20 seconds to go, and it's all tied up. Fasten your seat belts, folks. We're going down to the wire. Stolen by Nathan Scott! The ravens have it! They're gonna hold on 10 seconds remaining on the clock. Now five!
Mouth : Luke flashes in the paint. Fergie finds one on the wing.
Annoncer : Scott for the game!
Mouth : Scott for the game!
[ Nathan and the team are in a school bus with Nathan driving. Peyton is driving and not paying attention to the road]
Boy : you, tell me we didn 't just steal a school bus, 'cause this feels like we just stole a school bus.
Nathan : Dude, we just borrowed it, all right?
Girl : So, Nathan, where's Peyton?
Nathan : Who knows? Why?
[ Train whistle blows as the bus approaches. Nathan is kissing the girl and doesn't see it. ] [ bell clanging, train whistle blows ]
Boy : look out!
[ Girls screaming ] [ tires screech as the bus stops- a police siren sounds] [ tires screech as Peyton almost hits Lucas] [ basketball bouncing ]
[The next day at the police station]
Officer : some of your parents see this latest incident as tomfoolery, a little prank. Personally, I see a little breaking and entering. Chief Wayman sees possession and consumption by minors and a smidgen of grand theft auto. That said, I think it's time we send a message. The following players were not involved and will not be reprimanded -- Jake Jagielski, Ruben Gutierrez, Tim smith, and Nathan Scott. As for the rest of you, all players involved are suspended from extracurricular activities, specifically basketball, for the rest of the season.
[Dan starts an argument with the Whitey]
Dan : So, you just walk away.
Whitey : Well, well. Dan Scott.
Dan: Half the team suspended, Nathan triple-teamed the rest of the season, and you say nothing.
Whitey : The inmates will not run the asylum.
Dan: You're despicable, you know that? Letting the dreams of this team just vanish. You're full of crap.
Whitey : It comes with old age, constipation.
[back in the park]
Junk: You guys remember Tom Dugan from grade school?
Lucas : He used to live next door to you, right?
Junk: Some guy snapped him with a wet towel, and he lost one of his testicles.
Lucas: Come on.
Skills : Okay, junk.
Junk: Just saying what I heard.
Skills : Anyway, man, what you reading these days?
Lucas: Steinbeck -- "the winter of our discontent."
Skills : Let me hear some.
Lucas : Nah.
Skills : Come on, dog. You know I be reading vicariously through you.
[The game stops as Peyton drives by]
Junk : Peyton Sawyer. You seen her webcam? In her bedroom -- I hear she's naked on it, like, all the time ... What ? I hear things.
Lucas: You know, I saw her the other night. She almost ran me over.
Boy : Yeah, she pretty fine, huh?
Lucas: Ah, she's all right ... Just shoot for teams, all right?
[Back at the café]
Lucas: Hey, mom.
Karen : Hey, hon.
Lucas: It smells good in here. Did you change your hair?
Karen : If by "change" you mean "dragged a brush through it," then yeah.
Lucas: Well, it looks nice.
Karen : Thank you.
Haley : The magazine pages are sticky again. Little pervs. Oh, hey, Luke. You been reading this ?
Lucas: Is that the "why do I hang out with these people?" Issue, because you're on the cover of that, right?
Haley : No, actually, it's the "my best friend is an idiot" issue, and there you are. [ Scoffs ]
Karen : Haley, would you like to join us?
Haley : Hell, yes.
Karen : So, honey, how was your day?
Haley : Good, thanks ... "Good" is relative, considering a third of the world is starving, which does not change the fact that I am clumsy as hell. Did I tell you that i fell down today? Yeah, slipped off the curb, face down, butt in the air. Too graphic ? Sorry. I'll just be quiet.
Karen : So, I got something for you, Lucas.
Haley : Actually, I found it. Not that I was looking for something specifically, which implies some hideous sort of "Joey loves Dawson " scenario and completely creep me out, but, you know, we saw it, and...Well, give him the book.
Lucas : Wow. "Julius Caesar."
Karen : "There's a tide in the affairs of men" -- or something like that.
Lucas : Nice. Thank you, guys. Thank you very much.
Haley : Whatever. That's what you're into.
[ In the Whitey's office]
Whitey : well, well, Keith Scott. What do you know?
Keith : How you doing, whitey?
Whitey : Take a load off.
Keith : You, uh, you got a second?
Whitey : Oh, I got a lot of seconds. Or haven't you heard?
Keith : Oh, yeah, I heard. [Keith takes out a flask and offers the coach a drink]
Whitey : Just a little. A little more. That's good. That's good. I saw your little brother today -- Danny. He called me "despicable." Said I crush the dreams of young men.
Keith : was he talking about himself or Nathan?
Whitey : Both, I suppose. Hey, what did you average when you played for me?
Keith : Oh, about 5,006 beers a night. [ Laughs ]
Whitey : well, at least you were consistent.
Keith : Yeah, you gotta give me that. Hey, you know, uh... Lucas plays.
Whiety : Lucas? Oh. Oh, Dan's other son.
Keith : Well, Karen's son. Dan's on the birth certificate, but they never got married.
Whitey : Where does he play?
Keith : Uh...This park down by the river.
Whitey : Oh, come on, Keith . If the kid had any promise, he'd be in the gym with the real players.
Keith : Like Nathan, you mean? Come on, coach. Just take a little drive with me.
[At the park]
Mouth : Luke is on fire tonight. How do you say "hot" in French?
Jimmy : Flambé.
Mouth : Luke is flambé. Fergie finds Luke, who takes out junk again.
Jimmy : They never learn, Mouth.
Keith : That's what I'm talking about.
Whitey : All right, and I'm not saying I am. Why put him through that?
Keith : Because he should know that he's good -- not just playground good, but good, period. He could use that in his life.
Whitey : We could all use that in our lives.
Keith : Yeah. But we had our chance.
Whitey : So, you and Karen -- are you, uh...
Keith : Friends...Um... You know, I'm the kid's uncle, and I'm in their lives. It is what it is.
Whitey : I remember when Dan told me Karen was pregnant right after their senior year I told him he should honor his scholarship and go to college.
Keith : I'll tell you one thing -- you did Karen a favor. And Lucas, too. Now maybe you can do me one.
[In Peyton's room]
Nathan : What are you wasting your time at now?
Peyton: I didn't hear you come in.
Nathan : Oh, imagine that. You know nobody listens to this crap.
Peyton : So, I waited for you tonight.
Nathan : Yeah, the guys wanted to tip a few.
Peyton : And you didn't even think to let me know?
Nathan : That's why I came by. You want to come?
Peyton : With the guys?
Nathan : And me.
Peyton : And the guys.
Nathan : you know what, Peyton? I'm getting really tired of this. I came here to spend time with you.
Peyton : Yeah, me and half the team.
Nathan : hey, if you want to be a bitch? That's cool. Just listen to your loser rock, and I'll see you tomorrow.
Peyton : How about you don't see me tomorrow?
Nathan : Like I don't have other options. Look, I'm sorry. Peyton, I'm really sorry. It's just a lot of these guys got suspended, so it's like this stupid bonding thing. Look, I wish it was just you and me. But I was hoping you'd come anyway -- make it a lot more bearable, okay?
[The coach enters a classroom, where Lucas, Nathan, and Peyton are]
Whitey : Scott.
Nathan : What's up, coach?
Whitey : Not you. You. [points to Lucas] You- [points to Nathan] read a book or something.
[Whitey and Lucas are talking in the gym]
Whitey : Nice, isn't it? A lot of people like their gyms loud. I like mine like this -- quiet, clean... Kind of like a church. A lot of praying done here. Anyway, you played ball in grade school. Why'd you quit?
Lucas : I didn't.
Whitey: What, four guys in the park? That's not exactly basketball.
Lucas : Then what do you think we're doing out there?
Coach : I don't know. Planning a bank job? Look, I've got an opening in my lineup, varsity. Chance of a lifetime. What do you say?
Lucas : I say those people that pray here are wasting their time. God doesn't watch sports.
[Back in the park]
Skills : Were you gonna tell us, man?
Lucas : It's nothing.
Skills : Whitey asked you to play on the team, and it's nothing?
Lucas : It's nothing 'cause I'm not playing -- not with those guys.
Skills : Luke, man, I've been guarding you almost every night since we was 12 years old, right?
Lucas : And I won how many games?
Skills : It just seems like a waste to me, man.
Lucas : Well, it doesn't to me. Don't you guys ever think that maybe we belong here?
Skills : No. We belong here. You've never belonged here.
Lucas : Thanks a lot, skills. Just shoot for teams.
Skills : Yo, luke, man, you know you're one of my best friends, right? Ain't nothing never gonna change that, man. But keep it real. We ain't shooting for teams. We're shooting to be your excuse. And I ain't about to be a part of that, man.
[As Lucas comes home, he sees a package. He opens it and it's a uniform. He is trying it on as his mom walks in.]
Lucas : Somebody left it at the door.
Karen: Take it off.
[Karen goes outside, and Lucas follows]
Lucas : Mom, you okay?
Karen: Yeah. Do you know who left it?
Lucas : Coach Durham, probably. He asked me to play.
Karen : Maybe you should. [ Chuckles ]
Lucas : you sound like Skills. Those guys refused to play today. They said they didn't want to be my excuse.
Karen : How'd you feel about that?
Lucas : Honestly? I was pissed. Those guys are supposed to be my friends.
Karen : They are your friends. [She shows him a picture of himself as a boy, with a basketball] Do you remember that?
Lucas : My first leather basketball. That was the year that skill's father told us there was no Santa Claus.
Karen : Yeah, and I tried to talk you out of it. [ Chuckles ] then you said something I'll never forget. You said you felt bad for the kids who never figured it out, because when they grew up and had kids of their own, there wouldn't be any gifts on Christmas morning. You're a good kid, Luke. But sometimes I feel like you're sitting out your life on account of me, and I don't want that for you. My past is not your future, okay?
[Nathan is lifting weights when his dad comes in]
Dan : What are you slinging?
Nathan : About 160.
Dan : Give me that. Your mom called. She won't be back --what do you know about Whitey inviting...
Nathan : Your son to play?
Dan : Don't call him that.
Nathan : He's got our last name, dad.
Dan : The fact that he shares your last name is only wishful thinking on his mother's part. We were young -- summer after high school. We made a mistake.
Nathan : You made a mistake, all right. I mean, this guy's a zombie.
Dan : Okay.
Nathan : Look, it's kind of screwed up, all right? People talk about it. [ Grunts ]
Dan : get out of there. [Dan takes the weights] I want you to go to this kid, encourage him not to play.
Nathan : I'm not afraid of him, dad.
Dan : Well, you should be. We've worked too hard to have anyone coming in now, disrupting the offense, taking away shots. Anyway, this has more to do with Whitey and me than you.
Nathan : Why do you say that?
Dan : It's a long story. If you want, I'll tell you someday. But for now, I want you to go to this kid and talk to him and trust me when I tell you, Nathan, there's a bigger picture here -- and this kid's not in it.
[Nathan is talking to his friends]
Boy : So, your pops finally mentioned the dick spawn, huh? They say he's got game. Maybe we could use him.
Nathan : Please. I can get us to the state championship with three blind guys and a cripple, which is practically what I got with you and what's left.
Boy : So, where are we going?
Nathan : Let's go to the park.
[Nathan and his friend go to the park to watch Lucas play]
Nathan : Nice shot. Think you can hit that against a double team, down by 2, packed house telling you you suck? How about just two people telling you you suck?
Lucas : What do you want?
Nathan : What do I want? What do you want, man? I mean, other than my girlfriend and my spot in the lineup, huh? None of us want you on the team, man. I don't want you. The guys don't want you. My girlfriend sure as hell doesn't want you. --but here's the deal. --You and me, one on one. You can name the time and place. If you win, I'll quit the team. If I win, you crawl back in your little hole and you remember your place in all this. Time and place, baby. Time and place.
[Nathan walks off]
Haley : So, Nathan challenged you. Are you gonna play him?
Lucas : I don't know. It's not like I have anything to prove.
Haley : But don't you just want to show him sometimes -- oh, damn! [A flock of birds flys in front of Lucas and Haley]
Haley : What is up?! I was attacked a flock of crows last week! I'm totally serious!
Lucas : by the way, it's a murder.
Haley : What?
Lucas : More than one crow is a murder.
Haley : I don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Lucas : A parliament of owls, an exultation of larks, a murder of crows.
Haley : I think that is why people think you're weird, right there. [ Chuckles ]
Lucas : I would like to show him sometimes, though, what a mistake he's made.
Haley : Dan?
Lucas : Mostly for mom... And...Sometimes for me.
Haley : So, Luke, what are ravens -- I mean, more than one?
Lucas : An unkindness.
[Peyton's car breaks down. Keith and Lucas are working on a car at the shop]
Keith : Why wouldn't you play?
Lucas :I do play -- every night.
Keith : It's not the same, Luke.
Lucas : Why? What makes it less of a game if people don't see it?
Keith : I'll tell you why. When I was a kid, my father took me to Raleigh to see David Thompson play. I was 9 years old. I couldn't have cared less about basketball. But when Thompson stepped on the court, he was so young, so quick, and just so graceful that I was mesmerized. I couldn't take my eyes off him until late in the game, and I look up at my dad, and he's got tears in his eyes. 14,000 strangers and my father's crying because he's so beautiful. He played with such poetry that he made us feel like we were a part of it. You have a gift, Luke, and it's a crime not to let people see it, to hide it in the park. It's a damn shame. That's why.
[The phone rings]
Keith : Keith 's body shop and towing.
[Lucas goes to tow Peyton's car]
Lucas : That's me inside your head.
Peyton : What ?
Lucas : NOFX. That's me inside your head it's the lyrics from
Peyton : I know the song. [ Peyton uses her cell phone] Nathan...It's me. All right, well, listen, my car broke down. You're gonna have to come pick me up. So leave the gym. Listen, it'll take you, like, 10 minutes. I'm on River Road around the curve. Well, sucks to be you.
Lucas : Listen, are you sure you got a ride? I mean, I can wait if you want.
Peyton : Yeah, that's what I want. Listen, have your dad call me with an estimate.
Lucas : My uncle?
Peyton : If that's your story.
Lucas : Can I ask you a question?
Peyton : It's a free country.
Lucas : Why are you a cheerleader? No offense or anything, but you're about the least cheery person I now.
[Dan comes to see Keith at the shop]
Dan : Keith ! Hey! Hey, how you been, big brother?
Keith : Not bad. How about you?
Dan : Good, good. Dealership's good. I sent you some business not long ago.
Keith : Oh, yeah, I, uh... I meant to call you and thank you for that.
Dan : Yeah. Well, we're all busy, right?
[Peyton is still waiting]
Lucas : Come on. Let me give you a ride. I'll let you insult me.
Peyton : First of all, you don't know me. Second of all, you don't know me. God, why are guys such jerks?!
Lucas : Guys or Nathan?
Peyton : Him. You.
Lucas : I don't know. We share the same father.
Peyton : Yeah, I heard that. He's kind of an ass. So that must suck, having to see him around.
Lucas : For my mom. I never knew him.
Peyton : But she told you he was your dad?
Lucas : Yeah, eventually. We used to play in junior leagues together -- me and Nathan.
Peyton : Basketball?
Lucas : Yeah, and I loved it, and I was good at it. You ever have something that you knew that you were better at than almost anybody else?
Peyton : sex. --- Joke.
Lucas : Anyway...Guys kept teasing me about it, about how Nathan's dad was my dad, too. So I asked my mom, and she said he wasn't. But I get home, and I heard her crying in her room. I knew it was true. So I never went back. I told my mom it was because I didn't want to have to see his face. But... It was mostly because... I didn't want her to have to. [ Sighs ]
Peyton : So, why'd you just tell me all that? I mean, we don't even know each other.
Lucas : Maybe that's the point.
[At the shop]
Dan : Nathan's got a shot here, Keith -- a real future.
Keith : A real future. Let me ask you something. Do you ever even think about Lucas' future? Do you ever think about that?
Dan : I can't change the fact this kid exists. If I could, I would. The truth is, I told Karen I'd take care of it. But she --
[ keys jingle as Lucas walks in- he throws the key and runs out ]
[ basketball bouncing- Lucas confronts Nathan ]
Lucas : tomorrow night, at the riverfront. But if I win, I'm gonna want something else.
[At the car dealership, Karen comes to see Dan]
Dan : I love that car. I love that car. My wife's got that car. I'm guessing you're not car shopping.
Karen : He's a boy who wants to play basketball, reluctantly. I find it horrifying and amusing it takes something as simple as that to bring you around.
Dan : I'm only thinking of the kid.
Karen : You have no right to think of him, not today or any other day of his life.
Dan : Are you finished?
Karen : I haven't even started. We've asked nothing of you, and you have delivered in fine fashion. I'll expect that to continue. If Lucas decides to play, you'll do nothing. Anything else might make me angry and detract from the pleasant, cordial side you see now.
Dan : You know, I know your son doesn't exactly fit in, but Nathan is all-state, and I'm not sure why you'd want to humiliate your kid like that.
Karen : You're right, Dan. I'd rather not humiliate him. You've done that enough.
[At home, Dan sees Nathan has a pierced nipple]
Nathan : What's up, dad?
Dan : If I wanted a daughter, I'd adopt one.
Nathan : So you could abandon her, too? Just a joke, dad.
Dan : Yeah. And this bet tonight -- is that a joke, too? Or would you really quit the team? You have everything to lose here and nothing to gain.
Nathan : Sometimes what you call "everything," I call "nothing."
Dan : I just think it's best if you don't do this, Nathan. We'll find another way.
Nathan : No. Dad, I do a lot of stuff for you -- almost everything. But I'm gonna do this for me.
[Peyton walks out of Nathan's room wearing a towel]
Peyton : Hi, Mr. Scott.
[Keith and Karen are talking]
Karen : So, I would have preferred a warning shot on this one -- something to let me know what was coming with Lucas.
Keith : Yeah, that's fair enough. But you should see him play, Karen. I mean, it's like -- it's like poetry, you know? And he's gonna be fine.
Karen : Yeah, I know. Do you ever wonder about it, Keith -- how we got to this?
Keith : Hanging out in the old cafe, lamenting the past, Haley listening in from behind?
Haley : I am not listening. Okay, I was. I am.
Keith : Right. I just wondered how we got here so fast.
Karen : I don't know. When I see Lucas in high school, it all seems like a blink of an eye. But otherwise, it seems like it's been forever.
[Haley joins Lucas on the roof, and turns the lights on]
Lucas : Wow.
Haley : Yeah.
Lucas : This place looks great.
Haley: Thanks. I just finished putting up the lights. Miniature golf is never going to be the same. your mom is worried. She's downstairs with keith picking through her past.
Lucas : Do you think I'm being selfish playing Nathan?
Haley : Do you?
Lucas : A little bit. I mean, if I walked away, then my mom wouldn't be downstairs worried about it now.
Haley : You know, I don't say things like this very often 'cause it sounds weird, but... You're a really good guy, and I'm glad we're friends. But you and your mom worry too damn much.
[Back at the park, Mouth is getting ready to announce the game]
Mouth: Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to an historic night of basketball. I'm Mouth McFadden, along with my gamey partner, Jimmy Edwards, and, Jimmy, we're in for a treat tonight.
Jimmy : And who doesn't love a treat, Mouth? I know I do -- s'mores, ice cream, cake.
Peyton : So, if you're not doing it for your dad, then why are you doing it?
Nathan : You wouldn't get it.
Peyton: I guess not. So what if this guy plays? Are you really that threatened?
Nathan : I'm not threatened by anyone.
Peyton : Well, then, why do it?
Nathan: To prove i'm better.
Peyton: So, what if he wins? What does he get?
Nathan : He gets you.
[ Spectators talking indistinctly ]
Mouth : just moments before the stroke of 12:00, and still no Nathan Scott.
Jimmy : The natives are getting restless, Mouth, judging by the crowd that envelops our booth.
Junk : You don't have a booth.
Mouth : Junk Moreti joins us now. Junk, you care to make a prediction?
Junk : I predict you guys will be the two biggest morons out here.
Mouth : And it looks like Nathan Scott has arrived, driven by car right onto the court.
Crowd: [ Chanting ] Nathan! Nathan!
Boy : by the way, I hope you don't mind, but I told a few people. [Chanting continues, cheers and applause as the game starts] come on, let's go, Let's go, Nathan!
Mouth: okay, folks, here we go -- 15 by ones. Make it, take it, win by one, and you can feel the intensity in the air.
Nathan : You ready for this?
Lucas : Why not?
Nathan : It's your life.
Lucas : Yeah. It is.
Mouth : Oh-ho! A 25-footer rips the silk like Jimmy Edwards in a size 3 dress.
Nathan : Go ahead, man. I'll give you that all night.
[ Cheers and applause ]
Lucas : what happened to all night?
Nathan : Is that all you got, man? If that's all you got, this is over.
Mouth : Yeah! All right!
Jimmy : This looks to be a battle, mouth. Uhh! Yeah! Yeah!
[The game goes on with both boys making great shots. Nathan elbows Lucas in the face]
Lucas : No foul. Basket counts. Besides... You won't score again.
Mouth : Oh, the basket counts, and it's 14-12, game point for Nathan. He could win it all right here. Nathan for the win. Holy crap! [Lucas makes an unbelievable block]
Mouth : Did you see that?! Someday men will write stories about that block. Children will be named after it. Argentinean women will weep for it. Luke gets a basket, and he's down by one.
Nathan : You're down by one, man. Don't choke now.
Mouth : Another dagger, and it's all tied up! I think I'm gonna puke.
Crowd : Come on, Nate! Come on, shut him down, Nathan!
Mouth : This is it, folks -- no going back now. The next basket wins it.
Nathan : He's never mentioned you, man --not once in all these years.
Lucas : This is for my mom. [Lucas makes the winning shot!]
Mouth : Luke for the win! It's good! It's good! Lucas Scott takes it 15-14, and there is bedlam and delirium and felicity for all!
Peyton : So, what did you bet?
Lucas: I win Nathan stays on the team
Peyton : why?
Lucas : Because it's the last thing he wants. And anyway, it's not about him.
[Nathan comes back]
Nathan : Peyton.
Lucas : I'll be seeing you.
[Scenes switch back and forth between all the main characters as we hear Lucas' voice]
Lucas : There is a tide in the affairs of men... Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune...
Nathan : Don't worry, dad. Your dreams are still safe. ...
Lucas : But omitted, and the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and miseries... On such a full sea are we now afloat... ...And we must take the current when it serves... ...Or lose the ventures before us.
[In the final scene, Lucas enters the gym. Everyone stops playing and stares at him. The scene pans out, and to the park]
The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most [1.02]
- Peyton: Do you wanna come in?
- Lucas: What about Nathan?
- Peyton: What about him? [Lucas follows her to the door] What are you doing?
- Lucas: You just said ...
- Peyton: I didn't invite you to come in. I just asked you if you want to. Thanks for the ride.
- Whitey: There's no shame in being afraid. Hell, we're all afraid. What you gotta do is figure out what you're afraid of because when you put a face on it, you can beat it. Better yet, you can use it.
- Peyton: Unbelievable!
- Nathan: What? Peyton, did you see how bad he sucked tonight?
- Peyton: So?
- Nathan: He was horrible! I've never seen a guy play so bad.
- Peyton: And you enjoyed that?
- Nathan: Hell yeah. Didn't you? What is this, Peyton? You like this guy or something?
- Peyton: You mean more than my boyfriend who I'm trying to make out with right now?
- Nathan: Well, put some ice on it. You ever think I might want to talk?
- Peyton: No, you don't. You want to celebrate a public humiliation. And I'm sorry. That's a little played out.
- Nathan: Oh, and being with you isn't?
- Peyton: I want to draw something that means something to someone. You know, I want to draw blind faith or a fading summer or just a moment of clarity. It’s like when you go and you see a really great band live for the first time, you know, and nobody’s saying it but everybody’s thinking it: "We have something to believe in again." I want to draw that feeling. But I can’t. And if I can’t be great at it then I don’t want to ruin it. It’s too important to me.
- Lucas: I didn’t want to be like him and I was afraid that I’d become him if I played. In the gym, I felt like he had a piece of me. I never felt like that on the playground.
- Karen: Well, I’d say he’s taken enough from us. I took the night off to watch my son play again. The way that he used to when he loved the game more than anything.
Are You True? [1.03]
- Nathan: Hey!
- Haley: Can I help you?
- Nathan: I hope so. You're my tutor.
- Haley: Right, I don't think so.
- Nathan: You're Haley James, right?
- Haley: I'm sorry. I'm best friends with Lucas.
- Nathan: Well, then I'm sorry too.
- Haley: Forget it, I'll find you someone else.
- Nathan: Look, there is no one else. All right? I'd be fine with it if there was.
- Haley: If there were.
- Nathan: See, you're helping me already.
- Haley: Look, I can't help you. And on top of that, I won't help you. Okay?
- Haley: Do you see this book? Because this book is me. I am math.
- Nathan: What's that supposed to mean?
- Haley: It's supposed to mean that you can work your whole "I'm Nathan Scott, Mr. Big Shot, scoring my touchdowns" on somebody else, because -
- Nathan: I don't even play football.
- Haley: Whatever. The point is, at the end of the day all your bluster and BS don't mean anything to math because math don't care, and neither do I.
- Nathan: Well, does English care? 'Cause I really suck at that, too.
- Haley: Please don't waste my time. I'm already taking a huge chance on you because my instincts are screaming that you're full of sh... Let's just get started, okay?
- Lucas: Oh, I think you got the wrong car.
- Brooke: Nah. Don’t mind me. I just have to get out of this uniform. So, uh, anyways, I’m Brooke. But you probably knew that. Can I tell you that that last shot was awesome? How’d it feel? Good, huh? You know it did.
- Lucas: [Throws a can of spray paint at Nathan] You left that at the court.
- Nathan: I don’t know what you’re talking about.
- Lucas: You'll need that to paint over your title in the gym 'cause I’m taking it.
- Karen: Haley comes from a big family. When Lucas and I met her, I think they were eight or nine. But she saw it was just me and Lucas, and she said, "Yeah, I come from a big family. I think you guys need me more."
Crash Into You [1.04]
- Lucas: So I'm confused. You want to be anonymous and you let the world watch you on a web cam.
- Peyton: The world isn't watching me... but I guess you are.
- Lucas: Okay, the point is.... you want to express yourself but you don't want people to know it's you.
- Peyton: I guess I'm just a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside a bitch.
- Lucas: Or maybe just a tortured artist.
- Peyton: Look, I don't need you defending me and my work. I don't need you analyzing it or interpreting me either. And in fact, I'm pretty sure I don’t need you at all.
- Lucas: Pretty sure?
- Peyton: How's the tutoring going? You're tutoring Nathan, right? It's ok. He tells me everything.
- Haley: Yeah, he said he needed some help.
- Peyton: Maybe you could teach him to stop being such a jackass.
- Haley: I will put that on the lesson plan.
- Peyton: Just be careful, OK?
- Haley: Yeah, sure.
- Peyton: Does Lucas know you're helping Nathan? [Haley looks at her in disgust] You know, you say a lot when you keep your mouth shut. It's okay. I'll keep mine shut, too.
- Haley: Yeah, this is my house. Um... we're staying here while we renovate the mansion.
- Nathan: [Laughs] It's not like I was trying to show off.
- Haley: Wasn't that your default setting? Sorry.
- Lucas: So, if anything were going on with you .. anything important or weird, or confusing .. I mean, you could still be honest with me about that, right?
- Haley: Yeah, of course.
- Lucas: [He tosses her hat on the counter] You left that in Peyton’s car.
- Peyton: It’s not about the car. It’s about you. I finally saw you clearly for the first time last night. The way you treated me, the way you treated Tim, the way you treated your brother.
- Nathan: Don’t call him that.
- Peyton: And the way you’re playing that girl.
- Nathan: What? Are you talking about Haley? Is that what this is about? Peyton, she means nothing.
- Peyton: Okay, if that’s the case, then you’re an ass. And even if she does mean something, you’re still an ass, and what’s really sad, Nathan, is that you’re too stupid to get that. So thank you for being such an amazing son of a bitch last night. You really made this a no-brainer.
- Nathan: I'll call you when you're not so PMS.
All That You Can't Leave Behind (aka Where I End And You Begin) [1.05]
- Nathan: You know, me and Peyton broke up.
- Haley: Peyton and I.
- Nathan: What, she broke up with you, too? I just, I didn't know she was gonna take it this hard. She went off on Brooke at practice. I'm kinda worried about her.
- Haley: Well, maybe you should have worried more about her when you were together. I'm sorry, but come on, it's true.
- Nathan: No, you don't know the first thing about Peyton and I.
- Haley: Me and Peyton.
- Nathan: Whatever.
- Lucas: I saw you with him.
- Haley: Who, Nathan? God, he got a good grade on that math quiz. It was nothing.
- Lucas: I want to believe you, Haley. I do. But I don’t think you’re telling the truth.
- Haley: I am telling the truth, Lucas. There’s nothing going on. [Lucas sees her bracelet that Nathan gave her]
- Lucas: Nice bracelet.
- Keith: That’s right. Big brother. And no matter what you did on that basketball court a lifetime ago, and no matter what you do now, I’ll always be your big brother. So guess what, Danny boy? It was my name first. It’s Lucas’ name now. And there’s nothing you can do about it.
- Dan: Okay, Keith.
- Keith: You know, you can be ashamed of me. And you can be ashamed of Lucas. But what makes you think we’re not just as ashamed of you? Huh? Now get out of my shop.
- Haley: [to Lucas] So… support me! When I’m tutoring someone, and they get it, and that light goes on, I feel good! I feel worthy. The same way that you feel when you play basketball. Besides, haven't things gotten better for you? The team’s left you alone, the hazings stopped? Yeah. So, that’s worth the risk for me. What’s not worth the risk is us. We’re friends, and that is important to me.
- Karen: When I found out I was pregnant, Dan already had a basketball scholarship, and nothing was going to get in the way of that. But then something strange happened. Right before classes started, Dan changed his mind. He said he’d finish the semester and…we’d get married. So when I went into labor and you appeared, the nurse asked for your name, and I said it was Scott. Keith was there, and when the nurse brought you in, she let him hold you. I’ve known Keith my whole life, and that’s the only time I’ve seen him cry. Your father never showed up.
- Lucas: So to hell with him. I don’t want his name.
- Karen: Keith’s a Scott too, you know.
Every Night Is Another Story [1.06]
- Brooke: Did you see that?
- Peyton: What?
- Brooke: Nathan just gave her the nod.
- Peyton: What nod?
- Brooke: The "lets hook up after the game" nod. [Pause] Wanna know what I think? I think Nathan likes tutor girl. But I think tutor girl likes Lucas. And I know I like Lucas. And I don't know who the hell you like anymore. This is all turning into one big love .. rectangle plus one, whatever that is...
- Brooke: [after taking pain medication] That’s perfect. Brooke can come with us!
- Haley: [to Peyton] Yeah, she named me Brooke.
- Brooke: Peyton, can she come? Please? Peyton, please!
- Peyton: Just don’t touch the stereo. Or we’ll have a problem.
- Brooke: Road trip! [Throws her pompoms] We’re going on a road trip! We’re going on a road trip!
- Lucas: So this Haley thing… you know, for some reason, she feels like you’re not full of crap. Don’t take advantage of that.
- Nathan: I’m not going to.
- Lucas: I know you’re not. Because if you do, you’re going to live to regret it.
- Nathan: Bring it on. Hey, listen. Look, man, you didn’t have to get in that car when those guys grabbed me. Especially after you warned me not to.
- Lucas: Right, whatever. You know the way I see it, I mean, if they would’ve taken you out, who the hell else am I gonna have to fight with, right?
- Nathan: Same person I have.
- Nathan: I remember this one summer, I was playing little league baseball, and I was the pitcher, and my dad was the coach. Anyway, this kid, Billy Lyons, he was a great hitter. Everything he hit was a home run. So, you know, he got up to the plate and there was nobody on base, so I just walked him. Four straight pitches, nothing even close to a strike. So my dad calls a timeout, comes to the mound, and I’m thinking he’s gonna say like, smart move or good thinking son, something like that. But instead... instead he grabs me by the arm, and he kicks me in the ass as hard as he can. I mean, he literally took me by the arm so that I wouldn’t like, go flying, he kicked me so hard. Then he brought Stevie Planking in to pitch, sat me on the bench, never mentioned it again.
- Lucas: That sucks.
- Nathan: Yeah. So just think about that the next time you’re feeling sorry for yourself.
- Karen: Lucas called tonight a date for us. And for a while, I pretended that it was. And it felt good.
- Keith: [Half-asleep] Can I tell you a secret?
- Karen: Sure. Go ahead.
- Keith: I pretended that too. [Karen smiles]
- Keith: I love you. Always have.
Life In A Glass House [1.07]
- Nathan: Why is the coach so easy with you, Jagielski?
- Jake: We party together.
- Tim: Maybe they're lovers.
- Nathan: [to Tim] Why? Did you two break up?
- Deb: She's young enough to be your daughter. And in this town, she might just be.
- Dan: Ouch!
- Deb: Sorry, couldn't resist.
- Brooke: We have a hot tub.
- Lucas: Brooke, I...
- Brooke: We have a naked me in the hot tub.
- Lucas: What if I told you there was someone else?
- Brooke: Well, then normally I'd suggest a threesome.
The Search For Something More [1.08]
- Karen: You remember when you said the other night that I had good instincts and that I should trust them?
- Keith: Yeah.
- [Karen leans in and kisses Keith]
- Karen: You were right.
- Tim: Hey Nathan, what's up man?
- [looks at Haley]
- Nathan: Hey guys, you know Haley. She's my tutor...
- Tim: This looks a lot like a date to me.
- Nathan: No man, definitely not.
- Tim: All right, see you later.
- Nathan: I'm sorry about that...
- Haley: [cutting Nathan off] Are you embarrassed to be seen with me? And why are you only nice to me when we're alone?
- Nathan: It's just...
- Haley: You know, for an hour you almost got me to believe that you're not a son of a bitch but, God, you fooled me again.
- [Nathan is outside Haley's house throwing rocks at a window, Haley walks up behind him]
- Haley: Trying to wake up my parents? That's their room...
- Nathan: [runs over to Haley] Wait, Haley, look, I need to apologize, okay?
- Haley: You should buy 'em in bulk if you're gonna hand apologies out that often.
- Nathan: Look will you just... I don't know how to do this all right...? I'm... I'm not like you
- Haley: What does that mean?
- Nathan: All right, I screw up a lot, all right... and being around you, I just...I don't wanna be that guy any more.
- Haley: Well, who do you wanna be, Nathan?
- Nathan: I wanna be somebody who's good enough to be seen with you.
- Haley: You should've thought of that last night... You know I keep... I keep putting myself out there and you keep blowing it and it's probably a good thing because at this point there is nothing that you can say or do that's gonna surprise me.
- [Nathan kisses her]
- Haley: Except that. You shouldn't have done that, Nathan.
- Nathan: But I wanted to.
- Haley: Yeah.
- [jumps onto Nathan and starts kissing him]
- Brooke: What's your idea of your perfect date?
- Haley: Watching you get hit by a bus.
- Brooke: And a sense of humor. Nathan’s really lucky.
- Lucas: So why'd you call me, anyway? Why not Nathan or one of the guys?
- Brooke: Because I knew you'd come through.
With Arms Outstretched [1.09]
- Nathan: A month ago, did you think we'd be alone in your bedroom?
- Haley: Oh, but we're not alone in my bedroom. We have the forefathers with us.
- Nathan: They can watch.
- Haley: Nathan, can you just get serious for a minute?
- Nathan: Oh, I'm serious. Come here.
- [he pulls her next to him and they start to kiss]
- Nathan: [to Haley] When I fell to the floor tonight, I was so scared, I was so terrified. Then I saw you, and I promised myself that if I could just get up, I'd walk over to you... I'd tell you how much I need you and how much I want you... and how nothing else matters.
- Peyton: Lucas, I made a mistake. When you said you wanted to be with me, I got... I got scared, and I pushed you away, but-
- Lucas: Peyton-
- Peyton: But the truth is, I want all the same things that you want, I do... and I want them with you.
You've Got To Go There To Come Back [1.10]
- Lucas: It's not that hard. Peyton and I just don't make sense as a couple. She said so herself.
- Haley: And then took it back!
- Lucas: What are you, her lawyer?
- Haley: I'm just... look, I've seen Peyton really try to make an effort to turn things around. It just sucks she got bit the first time she reached out to somebody, you know?
- Lucas: Haley, I'm not the bad guy here, okay? Peyton's just too...hard.
- Haley: Unlike Brooke, who I understand, is nice and easy.
- Lucas: Excuse me. She makes me laugh. She's honest. She's not afraid to be herself. Plus, she's not covered head to toe in issues.
- Haley: If my parents come home, I'm going to act like I have amnesia, so don't freak out if I pretend not to know you.
- [They both laugh]
- Nathan: Look I think I should get back to the madness, but, hey, if I could, I'd stay like this all day.
- Haley: OK. Nathan, about last night...
- Nathan: Hey, it's not about sex with me, alright? When you're ready, I'll be ready, too.
- Whitey: [to Nathan] Nice to see you vertical. How ya feeling?
- Nathan: Same as always. What's this all about? [Hands him the basketball canceled paper]
- Whitey: Seems to me we've lost track about what this game is supposed to be about, myself included. Now I want you to take this time and think about why we're really out there. 'Til then no practice.
- Tim: This sucks!
- Jake: Speak for yourself. Whitey just did me a favor.
- Nathan: Yeah, me too.
The Living Years [1.11]
- Lucas: You're sure your parents won't come home?
- Brooke: They could, but this isn't their jacuzzi.
- Lucas: Brooke, whose house is this?
- Brooke: I don't know. Does it matter? (brooke kisses lucas)
- Haley: Did you finish 'The Little Prince'?
- Nathan: No, I just rented the movie. This book is stupid.
- Haley: Nathan, you're not going to pass French if you keep renting movies.
- Nathan: Its not like I have a lot of time to read.
- Haley: So, are you ever going to tell me how it went?
- Nathan: The therapist asked me if I liked playing basketball.
- Haley: Wow, what did you say?
- Nathan: I didn't know what to say. No one has ever asked me that question.
- Haley: Wow, that's really big.
- Nathan: These past couple weeks without it, I mean if I didn't play, I might actually have a life.
- Haley: What would you do?
- Nathan: I don't know. At least I have some time to figure it out. Besides, I'm sure we can find other things to do with our time.
- Haley: Like?
- [Nathan kisses Haley]
- Haley: I think you're really brave to reconsider building who you are. I don't know if I could do that.
- Nathan: You could if you tried. Look, I gotta go.
- Haley: Oh, yeah. Hey, umm, basketball practice starts up again today right?
- Nathan: Yeah, I'm just not sure if I do. I'll see ya.
- Brooke: All work and no Brooke makes Luke a boring boy.
- Lucas: Hey. [they kiss]
- Brook: I got you something.
- Lucas: Hmm, but I don't have anything for you.
- Brooke: And yet you do. Couple songs on there made me think of you. Of course most things do.
- Lucas: I didn't know you were into Travis.
- Brooke: Are you kidding? I love Travis. He's the best.
- Lucas: Who?
- Brooke: That Travis guy... are we not in the same conversation? [School bell rings] Umm, check out tracks 8 and 13. [Kisses Lucas] Bye!
- Lucas: I thought you might want that back.
- Peyton: I already have it.
- Lucas: So do I. Tracks 8 and 11, totally you, so what are you doing? Some sort of Cyrano thing for Brooke?
- Peyton: Why would I do that?
- Lucas: Why? I asked you first.
- Peyton: Look, don't underestimate Brooke. She's full of surprises. That's part of her charm.
- Lucas: She told me to listen to tracks 8 and 13. Well, there are only 12 songs.
- Peyton: Honest mistake.
- Lucas: Yeah, I guess. I mean, I'm sorry about this morning with your dad. I had no idea he was there.
- Peyton: It's because he usually isn't.
- Lucas: I thought you were happy with your setup?
- Peyton: That's what I tell him. I make up stuff in the emails. I send him about how happy I am on my own and how responsible I'm being even when I'm not. He loves his job, you know, and after my mom died, it's just not fair to ask him to give that up, but I miss him when he's away.
- Lucas: You tell him that?
- Peyton: He worries. It's just better not to.
Crash Course In Polite Conversations [1.12]
- Lucas: [after kissing] Peyton...I...
- Peyton: Don't! It was stupid, OK? You're with Brooke now.
- Lucas: [pause] Yeah.
- Peyton: We just...we got carried away. It didn't mean anything.
- Lucas: It didn't?
- Peyton: Of course it did.
- Haley: So this, uh, dinner is going to be pretty bad, huh?
- Nathan: Yeah, a massacre. My grandma's okay. It's just my grandpa's pretty intense. You've met my dad. Just imagine where he comes from.
- Haley: Scary.
- Nathan: Yeah, you should come tonight. Maybe you'll make everyone behave.
- Haley: I'll come if you want me to.
- Nathan: No, I wasn't serious. I wouldn't put you through that.
- Haley: No, I mean, if you're asking, of course, my answer is yes.
- Nathan: Well, then, I'm asking.
- Haley: Well, then, I'm coming.
- Lucas: You warm enough?
- Peyton: I'm okay. I should probably get the heater fixed in here, huh?
- Lucas: You know, I could have Keith take a look at it for ya. He's really good at that stuff. Do you want me to stop and get some coffee?
- Peyton: I'm fine, thanks. Thanks for doing this for me, Luke.
- Lucas: That's what friends are for, right?
- Peyton: Yeah.
Hanging By A Moment [1.13]
- Brooke: People that are meant to be together always find their way in the end.
- Lucas: Peyton, so how's everything with your dad?
- Peyton: Good, thanks.
- Lucas: Yeah, and uhh, how about us?
- Peyton: That moment where we kissed right? I've been feeling guilty about it all weekend.
- Lucas: Me, too.
- Peyton: Listen, let's just bury it and pretend it never happened. Okay?
- Lucas: Sure.
- Lucas: Hey, Peyton.
- Peyton: Oh, hey, Brooke had to take off early, so she's expecting you to call her.
- Lucas: Okay, you gotta a sec?
- Peyton: Umm, yeah, what's up?
- Lucas: I lied, okay? I can't bury what happened between us.
- Peyton: Lucas, Brooke is my best friend and she's your girlfriend.
- Lucas: I know, but I...
- Peyton: But nothing, okay? That's where we're at right now. It's not fair to her to make a big deal out of what happened. It didn't mean anything. I'm sorry.
- Lucas: Peyton....[He kisses her] See, it does mean something.
- Peyton: It can't.
- Lucas: But it does.
- Peyton: Lucas, you're dating Brooke.
- Lucas: I know, and she's great, okay, but she's not you. Look, ever since you came to my room and told me how you felt about me, I've been hiding with Brooke. Okay, I've been trying not to get hurt again. I don't wanna hide anymore.
- Peyton: Even if we could be together, what makes you think it would work?
- Lucas: 'Cause I feel it in my heart, don't you?
- Peyton: Yes, so what are we going to do?
- Nathan: Was that your jump shot? Because if that was your jump shot, I can't date you anymore. [Haley laughs] My mom said you would be here, something about a grade?
- Haley: Yeah, you cannot be here right now.
- Nathan: Why not?
- Haley: Because I look stupid.
- Nathan: You realize I've seen you in that crochet poncho thing you wear, right?
- Haley: Come on, this is embarrassing. I want you to think I'm not embarrassing.
- Nathan: You don't embarrass me, Haley.
- Haley: Oh, yeah, OK.
- Nathan: OK, I take that back.
- Haley: I can't do this.
- Nathan: Yes, you can like this. Alright, square your shoulders to the basket. Bring the ball up right past your nose like this, okay? Bend your knees a little, just relax your hips, and just shoot. Okay, that wasn't perfect, but it also wasn't embarrassing. It was actually kind of sexy.
- Doctor: [about Lucas] He's going to need surgery.
- Dan: Do whatever you need to do.
- Doctor: You're his legal guardian?
- Dan: He's my son.
I Shall Believe [1.14]
- Peyton: Haley, what are you doing?
- Haley: Inventory.
- Peyton: Lucas is lying in a hospital. Why can't you just go see him?
- Haley: Because he wouldn't want to see me.
- Peyton: What are you talking about? You guys are best friends.
- Haley: Not last night, we weren't. We got in a fight.
- Peyton: Bout what?
- Haley: You, him and Brooke. Last thing I said to him was, 'I don't like the person you're becoming, and the next time we see each other, don't talk to me.'
- Peyton: You didn't mean it.
- Haley: Peyton, what if..what if I can't take it back? What if he doesn't forgive me?
- Peyton: He will, but you just need to see him. I tell you what, umm, whenever you decide that you're ready, I'll go to the hospital with you. Strength in numbers.
- Haley: Yeah. Yeah, okay, thank you.
- Peyton: I'll see ya.
- Peyton: Hey, it's me. [Talking to Luke lying in the hospital unconscious] Can you hear me? Squeeze my hand if you can hear me, okay? Never mind. Umm, I just came by to tell you that I'm probably not going to be around here much with Brooke here. It's just kind of weird, but I'm with you, Lucas. You know that, and I'll wait forever if I have to. [Karen walks in.] Oh, I'm sorry. Nobody was here.
- Karen: You don't have to go. He's allowed visitors.
- Peyton: Okay. I'm Peyton.
- Karen: I know. Lucas has talked about you. It's nice that people want to do something, but that's the last thing I want to think about is food.
- Peyton: Yeah, but you'll be glad you had it in a couple of days. I swear the cooks in this hospital gets a bonus for making people sick.
- Karen: Sounds like you spent some time here.
- Peyton: Yeah, when my mom died.
- Karen: I'm sorry. How'd she die?
- Peyton: A car accident.
- Karen: You're a good friend to visit. I've been expecting Haley to come on by.
- Peyton: Her and Lucas got in some kind of an argument, and she's been beating herself up over it.
- Karen: They'll patch it up. Best friends can forgive each other over anything.
- Nathan: Hey, man. [Talking to Luke lying in the hospital unconscious] I came here to talk to you. So, I'm here because, uhh, everything is screwed up. Look, I know you don't trust me with Haley, but I like her a lot, you know. She's hurting a lot now, too. She needs you to open your eyes, man. She feels like she can't be forgiven, and I'm sort of in the same place. This accident, it might not turn out so bad, ya know. You can take a break from the game and people's expectations. I wish I had that chance. It might be hard to believe, but maybe you're the lucky one. You can get out. [Luke wakes up] Hey.
- Lucas: Water. [Nathan gives him some water] What are you doing here?
- Nathan: It's a long story. Let me get your mom.
- Haley: Nathan, I'm not in the mood right now.
- Nathan: Lucas is awake. I was there when he opened his eyes. I went to see him.
- Haley: Why?
- Nathan: Because I knew you couldn't. I wanted him to know that you were thinking about him. Look, I know it was wrong to go after you for the reasons I did. I can't apologize for that, but I'm glad I did, but I'm not that person anymore because of you. Let me take you to him.
- Dan: [about Lucas' surgery] They handed me the consent forms. He needed surgery. You have a right to be upset, but...
- [Karen hugs him]
- Karen: Thank you.
Suddenly Everything Has Changed [1.15]
- Brooke: Hey, I want you to know that I'm here for you and whatever you need and if she's not home, I might actually give you a sponge bath.
- Lucas: Actually, I can't do that for awhile.
- Brooke: What, bathe?
- Lucas: No, you know, sex.
- Brooke: Wow, that sucks. A little cardio maybe just what ya need. What?
- Lucas: I'm going to need some time to figure some stuff out.
- Brooke: Whatever you need, I'm here for you.
- Lucas: Yeah, see, that's the thing.
- Brooke: Are you breaking up with me?
- Lucas: I just think it's the best thing for right now.
- Brooke: Maybe for you.
- Lucas: Brooke, I'm sorry.
- Brooke: Apparently not enough.
- Lucas: Peyton.
- Peyton: I was so afraid you weren't going to wake up.
- Lucas: What? And miss out on being with you? (They begin to kiss.) When you didn't come to the hospital, I began to worry that maybe you changed your mind.
- Peyton: No, it was just too weird with Brooke there. I started to tell her about us the night of your accident and then Haley called and everything changed....
- Lucas: I figured. That's why I ended things with Brooke today.
- Peyton: You did? Did you tell her why?
- Lucas: No, I told her I needed to focus on getting well.
- Peyton: We need to tell her the rest.
- Lucas: Sure just give me a few days to strength up and then we'll tell her together like we planned. Besides, we're not exactly going to be dating in the mean time, ya know.
- Nathan: Wait a minute, is this...is this a new outfit?
- Haley: He noticed. Yes it is. It's all about the new me. Do you like?
- Nathan: Yeah, but what's wrong with the old you?
- Haley: Nothing. I just thought I'd branch out and try some new things.
- Nathan: This could be good. Like what?
- Haley: I don't know. There's a lot I wanna try that I never did.
- Nathan: Like fooling around with me?
- [Haley gives him a little smack]
- Haley: Like snowboarding.
- Nathan: Okay, well, I can teach you how to do that, too.
- Haley: Yeah?
- Nathan: Mmmhmm...
- Haley: Cool.
- Nathan: What else?
- Haley: Uhh, singing.
- Nathan: Do you sing?
- Haley: I..uhh..sing when no one is around.
- Nathan: Well, I think you should sing for me sometime.
- Haley: Okay, yeah, right, I'll..uhh..catch ya on the slopes.
- Nathan: You know, I don't know how I deal with all this crap with my parents if you weren't around.
- Haley: You're welcome.
- Natha: I'm serious. It's like the worse things get with my parents, the better things get with you.
- Haley: Are things really awful with your parents?
- Nathan: It's a war zone and I'm stuck with whoever's got the best lawyer.
- Haley: Aww, you should know your rights.
- Nathan: It's not like I have any.
- Haley: No, you do. Let's find out. Knowledge is power.
- Brooke: Hey.
- Peyton: You're out late.
- Brooke: Lucky thing you finding Lucas like that. If you hadn't come along, who knows what might have happpened.
- Peyton: (nodding) Everything turned out okay.
- Brooke: No, not really. I don't know what hurts worse: you and Lucas sneaking around behind my back or you lying about it to my face.
- Peyton: Brooke.
- Brooke: No. The next time you want to steal my boyfriend, [points to the computer] you might wanna turn that thing off. I went into his room to check on him, and his computer was on. I know you two were together. He meant everything to me, Peyton. And I was ready to try to be his friend if that's what he needed. Now I don't really care if I see either one of you again.
The First Cut Is The Deepest [1.16]
- Dan: Five-speed Mustang fully-loaded and it's all yours. I know this divorce has been hard on you, Nate. I just want to thank you for sticking by the old man. What's the matter? You're not supposed to look around at a gift, ya know.
- Nathan: It's not a gift, Dad. This is a bribe.
- Dan: A bribe, wow! Not exactly the thank you I was expecting.
- Nathan: OK, thanks for the car, Dad. Now I can get away from you whenever I want.
- Skills: You sure you should be pushing yourself so hard, man? I thought you were supposed to be in physical therapy?
- Lucas: All they do is let me stretch right now, and I figured I get back in here, I build my muscle, and be back in shape twice as fast.
- Skills: Or risk messing yourself up for good.
- Lucas: Whose side are you on anyways, huh?
- Skills: I'm on your side, man. Look, all I'm saying is, dawg, what are you rushing back to?
- Lucas: Look, I worked hard to be part of this team, Skills. We're undefeated and I'm not giving up my spot now.
- Tim: Hey, Gimp, Coach wants to see you in practice pronto.
- Lucas: Why?
- Tim: What am I, psychic?
- Lucas: Brooke, I'm sorry.
- Brooke: Yeah, sorry you got caught.
- Lucas: No, I didn't mean to hurt you.
- Brooke: You did not just say that to me.
- Lucas: Look, we didn't plan any of this. It just happened.
- Brooke: Go to hell!
- Lucas: Brooke, I never meant to hurt you.
- Brooke: That doesn't really matter, Lucas 'cause in the end, it all hurts just the same.
- Nathan: So now I know. I don't ever remember feeling like this, Haley. Yeah, like with my dad, but she abandoned me.
- Haley: I'm sorry.
- Nathan: I can't go back there. I can't live with my dad, either. I'm screwed.
- Haley: Maybe not. There might be an answer.
Spirit In The Night [1.17]
- Peyton: God, it's good to have an escape route in case she tries to smother me with a pillow. How you doing?
- Jake: Mmmm...having Jenny withdrawal.
- Peyton: Yeah, but you need a weekend away to just relax and have a good time. It doesn't happen too often.
- Jake: Yeah, true, but there's been some new developments.
- Peyton: Oh, really, what are they? [Brooke yells for Peyton] Sorry, cheer Nazi calls.
- Haley: No way!
- Peyton: Haley, come on. Remember when I made you those flyers for Open Mic Night?
- Haley: That is really unfair. You're a born artist. I'm a born klutz, okay? I, I, almost drowned in the balls at Chuck E. Cheese.
- Peyton: Okay, but if we don't find a replacement, we're gonna have to forfeit.
- Haley: Don't you guys lose every year since grade school, anyway? So, what's the big deal?
- Peyton: It's important to Brooke. Do you know how terrible it is to be disconnected from your best friend? Look, I really hurt Brooke, and I just don't want her to be disappointed again.
- Peyton: Ta-da. [As she shows Haley dressed in the cheerleader outfit to Brooke]'
- Brooke: Tutor girl, you look bitching.
- Haley: Yeah, I kind of do, don't I?
- Brooke: Now, get your suit hot tub therapy, both of you.
- Nathan: Haley? What are you doing?
- Haley: I'm kind of filling in for Teresa.
- Nathan: Works for me. I gotta thing for cheerleaders.
- Haley: Oh, yeah.
- [They kiss]
To Wish Impossible Things [1.18]
- Peyton: Nearly midnight. Looks like our date's almost over.
- Nathan: Yeah, I think I was hitting on ya in the pool.
- Peyton: You think you were?
- Nathan: I don't know anymore. This whole good guy thing is new to me. I guess I'll always have feelings for you, Peyton, but I owe it to Haley to be a better guy than I've been. I just don't wanna be the kind of guy that cheats on her.
- Peyton: Then don't be. Nathan, I'm proud of you, you know, standing up to your dad, being a good guy for Haley. You've turned into the guy I always knew you could be.
- Lucas: Uhh, he wasn't there.
- Haley: You sure, apartment 11?
- Lucas: Yeah.
- Haley: Hmm, weird. I just got his voicemail. I guess he really isn't there. I told you Peyton was easy.
- Lucas: Come on, I'll take you home.
- Haley: Okay.
- Mouth: I guess I should've told my parents I'd be out late. I'm not sure this was a good idea.
- Brooke: Mouth, you've gotta live a little.
- Mouth: No, its not that. I mean, a night with you is like flying first class. My life is coach. It's going to be hard going back to it.
- Brooke: Thanks, but this gets old pretty quick. Trust me.
- Mouth: Listen, Brooke, I don't know what's going on with you and Lucas, but he's a really good guy. I've never really been good at sports. I mean, I'm little, ya know, but when I decided I wanted to be a sports announcer, Lucas introduced me to the guys at the River Court, and he made me feel like I belonged. He has a good heart, and as far as I can tell, you do, too. I'd be surprised if you two couldn't work things out.
- Brooke: Thank you.
- Mouth: Well, I should get home. That stripper might call me.
- Brooke: Mouth...
- [She gives him a small kiss]
- Mouth: Oh, right, for the charity thing.
- Brooke: No, just 'cause.
- Mouth: Hey, Brooke, thanks. This was the greatest night of my life.
- Haley: Well, did you have fun tonight, slave boy? Thanks for playing along.
- Lucas: Look, Haley, I know we've grown apart a bit lately, and I know we have a lot ahead of us, but I just want you to know I'll always be there for ya. And if Nathan doesn't see how special you really are, well then he's an idiot 'cause I think you're amazing.
- Haley: Thanks, Luke. Oh, technically, you owe me a goodnight kiss.
- Lucas: Hmmm...rules are rules, I guess.
- Haley: Yeah, so. Here's the thing, though. If your tongue comes anywhere near my mouth, I'm just never speaking to you again, though. [They kiss and hug]
- Lucas: Hey, Haley, you're going to be okay. I promise you that.
- Haley: Thanks.
- Haley: No, I told you, Nathan doesn’t know. Ugh, God, what am I going to do, Luke? I’m so, I hate being away from him, I think about him constantly. I was in the middle of a history quiz yesterday and I just totally zoned out on him. Maybe we’re not going to be together for the rest of our lives, but right now I’m in love for the first time and if I look at this tattoo 20 years from now and it reminds me of how I feel today, I think I’ll be okay with that.
How Can You Be Sure? [1.19]
- Haley: Nathan, I know I'm driving you crazy.
- Nathan: No, you're not.
- Haley: Do you think that I'm a tease?
- Nathan: Stop it.
- Haley: Well what do you think?
- Nathan: I think that you're my girlfriend, and I like to spend time with you.
- (looks at Haley)
- Nathan: Haley, you got a tattoo for God's sake. Obviously, this whole thing with us means a lot to you. I just don't want to do anything to pressure you or drive you away. Even though sometimes I can't help it. Just like I can't help that I fell in love with you. 'Cause I did. I love you, Haley. And it scares me a little bit, but there it is.
- Haley: Wow. There it is. [Haley kisses him] I love you, too.
- Dan: Don't be so quick to judge me, Lucas. It's easy to have all the answers from a distance, but everybody makes decisions they regret. Me, your mother, Keith. But we learn to live with it. It's part of life.
What Is And What Should Never Be [1.20]
- Guy: Buy you a drink?
- Brooke: Okay, guy in need of a clue. Here's one. Women send signals. That was a brush off. Before you dip into your shallow pool of wit, let me paint us a picture and save us both the trouble. Here's your evening. You are going to slink back off to your buddies, laugh this off, get wasted, go home, and make nice with yourself. But don't be thinking of me because even your fantasy of me isn't interested in you.
- [Nathan looks at Haley]
- Haley: What?
- Nathan: You're just lucky Tim's here. Because I have a thing for girls named Haley James.
- Haley: Oh yeah, well, you're lucky Tim's here too.
- [look at each other]
- Nathan and Haley Tim? Go home.
- Brooke: Lucas Scott betrayal train, all aboard.
The Leaving Song [1.21]
- Dan: Whitey, you know I know this team as well as you do. Every game, every player.
- Whitey: You ought to, you're daddy to half of 'em.
- Nathan: Hales, look. A single afternoon together and not one punch thrown.
- Haley: Lucas, can I talk to Nathan alone, please?
- Lucas: Sure.
- Nathan: What's up?
- Haley: I was doing some research on the internet, and I found what my boyfriend's been studying.
- [Turns computer toward Nathan]
- Nathan: That's just- Well, I just stumbled on that, so it's no big deal.
- Haley: What about the other half a dozen sites you stumbled on and bookmarked? Nathan, it's hard enough for me to compete with all the girls at school. What, now I have to be a porn star?
- Nathan: No. These girls aren't real.
- Haley: [after finding pictures of Peyton on Nathan's laptop] You said they weren't real.
- Nathan: They aren't.
- Haley: This hurts me, Nathan.
- Nathan: I get that. It's just a fantasy.
- Haley: Was Peyton just a fantasy?
- Nathan: You know, it'd be nice if a guy could get a little privacy in his own apartment.
- Haley: I gave you my heart. That's all that I can give. And if that's not enough for you, then I'm not enough for you.
- Nathan: Haley.
The Games That Play Us [1.22]
- [Peyton and Haley pull up to Haley's house and see Nathan out in the rain]
- Haley: Nathan, you're soaked. What are you doing here?
- Nathan: I went for a run. I guess this is where I ended up. Haley, those pictures of Peyton don't mean anything. I saved those when we were still dating. I guess I should have gotten rid of them.
- Haley: Is that it?
- Nathan: You know, my pride says, "Yeah. that's it. Just leave here knowing Haley is obviously intimidated by a sexual relationship." But my heart says, "Forget about your pride, you idiot. You love this girl. And even if you catch pneumonia, your ass is gonna stay out here in the rain until you convince her to forgive you" So come on, Hales. Just meet me halfway here?
- Haley: Why should I?
- Nathan: Because I'm sorry. Because I love you. And because you're looking really hot, standing out here in the rain and I'm thinking, "I have to kiss you."
- Haley: Well, if you have to. [Nathan kisses Haley]
- Deb: How did we become so broken?
- Keith: We fell in love, and at some point, the people we love forgot to love us back.
- Lucas: (voiceover) Some people believe that ravens guide travelers to their destinations. Others believe that the sight of a solitary raven is considered good luck while more than one raven together predicts trouble ahead
- [He looks out the window and sees many ravens are flying above the car]
- Haley: Luke? Lucas, this is not funny. I told you I don't want to take this shortcut. Lucas? Luke, this is so not cool. Lucas Scott!
- Lucas: Boogie Man!
- Haley: Aah! [punches Lucas in the gut]
- Lucas: Damn it, Haley! You're gonna kill me! You know, Houdini died like that.
- Haley: You deserve it, dumb ass. I told you I don't want to take this shortcut.
- Lucas: Why are you whispering?
- [Haley gestures to cemetery]
- Lucas: Haley, these people, they're dead.
- Haley: Yeah, but if you keep yelling, the freaking zombies are gonna get us.
- Lucas: Haley, I gotta tell you something.
- Haley: What's her name and what did you do that you regret?
- Lucas: No. I'm going to Charleston with Keith, Hales.
- Haley: OK, for how long?
- Lucas: Forever. Hales, I'm gonna move there.
- Haley: So you bring me into a creepy cemetery and tell me that you're leaving Tree Hill for good? Luke, who's gonna raid thrift stores with me and lie to the lost and found and claim stupid stuff, huh? Who's gonna do that with me now?
- Lucas: Nathan. And me occasionally. Just not all the time.
- Chad Michael Murray - Lucas
- Hilarie Burton - Peyton
- James Lafferty - Nathan
- Bethany Joy Galeotti - Haley
- Sophia Bush - Brooke
- Jackson Brundage - Jamie
- Austin Nichols - Julian
- Robert Buckley - Clay
- Shantel VanSanten - Quinn
- Lee Norris - Mouth
- Lisa Goldstein - Millie
- Jana Kramer - Alex
- Paul Johansson - Dan
- Moira Kelly - Karen
- Barbra Alyn Woods - Deb
- Barry Corbin - Whitey
- Craig Sheffer - Keith