In medieval literature, the paladins or Twelve Peers were known in the Matter of France as the retainers of Charlemagne. Based on this usage, the term can also refer to an honorable knight, which has been used in contemporary fantasy literature.
- The way of the Paladin is to seek to know that which truly is. The Paladin strives to learn his own inner nature and that of others. The Paladin does whatever needs to be done to bring light to the world. Not for glory, not for gain, the Paladin Becomes a Paladin because it is his Will.
- Rakeesh Sah Tarna, Quest for Glory II
- Miko: A paladin never compromises. Roy: Does a paladin ever remove the stick from their ass? Miko: No. It's a class feature.
- I, Miko Miyazaki, Paladin of the Sapphire Guard, have come to vanquish you this morning. Rouse yourself from your half-asleep stupor and prepare yourself for battle. In the interest of a fair and proper fight, I demand you be fully awake before we attack. Don't forget to retrieve your weapons from their resting places. You have not eaten your morning meal yet. It would be dishonorable to fight a foe who has not had the chance to load up on carbs.
- Miko Miyazaki, The Order of the Stick
- Blade with whom I have lived, blade with whom I now die, serve right and justice one last time, seek one last heart of evil, still one last life of pain, cut well old friend, and then farewell.
- Sir Orin Neville Smythe, Flight of the Dragons
- Remember always that in the end, you may find truth within yourself, not from without. That is what we have learned about the Inner Light.
- Alexander Candelori, CLOK
- A knight is sworn to valour. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked.
- Dragonheart - The Old Code
- Remember, Arthas, we are paladins. Vengeance cannot be a part of what we must do.
- Warriors of light are not perfect.Their beauty lies in accepting this fact and still desiring to grow and to learn.