Pedro II of Brazil
Dom Pedro II of Brazil (Pedro de Alcântara João Carlos Leopoldo Salvador Bibiano Francisco Xavier de Paula Leocádio Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga de Bragança e Habsburgo), (2 December 1825 – 5 December 1891), nicknamed "the Magnanimous", was the second and last monarch of the Empire of Brazil, reigning for over 58 years.
- I was born to consecrate myself to the languages and sciences, and, if I had to choose between occupying a political position, I would rather be a president or minister to that of an Emperor.
- I swore to the Constitution, but even if I had not sworn to it, it would be to me a second religion.
- Politics is to me the harsh fulfilment of duty.
- Letter to Count Gobineau, 1973, Nasce Dom Pedro, o último imperador do Brasil
About Pedro II
- If his power were equal to his will, slavery would vanish from the Empire with a single strike.