Prince William, Duke of Cambridge
Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn and Baron Carrickfergus, William Arthur Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor (born June 21, 1982), commonly known as Prince William, is the eldest son of Charles, Prince of Wales and his first wife, the late Diana, Princess of Wales and a grandson of Queen Elizabeth II. He is second in the line of succession to the British Throne, Australian Throne, and the thrones of the other Commonwealth Realms, behind his father. He married his wife Catherine, also known as Kate, on 29 April 2011, and is the elder brother of Prince Henry of Wales.
|This article about a political figure is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- We’re very lucky. You know, we have lots of things that we are very fortunate to have. You know, we have a house, you know? We have, you know, all these sort of nice things around us. And so, you know, we’re grateful for that because so many people don’t have that. We have, you know, relative stability and stuff like that. And, you know, lots of things that, you know, everyone would, you know, love to have.
- It (slavery) should never have happened... I know that this tour has brought into even sharper focus questions about the past and the future. In Belize, Jamaica and The Bahamas, that future is for the people to decide upon. But we have thoroughly enjoyed spending time with communities in all three countries, understanding more about the issues that matter most to them. Catherine and I are committed to service. For us that’s not telling people what to do. It is about serving and supporting them in whatever way they think best, by using the platform we are lucky to have. It is why tours such as this reaffirm our desire to serve the people of the Commonwealth and to listen to communities around the world. Who the Commonwealth chooses to lead its family in the future isn’t what is on my mind. What matters to us is the potential the Commonwealth family has to create a better future for the people who form it, and our commitment to serve and support as best we can.
- As quoted, "William to ‘reinvent Prince of Wales role’ in dramatic shift from father", The Evening Standard UK, (4 January 2022)
Associated Press interview during his gap year (29 September 2000)
- Of course, Harry and I are both quite upset about it - that our mother's trust has been betrayed and even now she is still being exploited.
- (Reaction to a book published about his mother from her private secretary) AP via BBC News
- My plans aren't quite solid. I'm hugely disorganized, you see, so once I sort it out you'll probably find out.
- I was just talking with friends and they said it was good idea and I just sort of liked the idea.
- It made a real big difference with everyone not trying to sort of snap a picture every time I was walking around the streets. I hope it just continues for Harry as well when he is there.
- (Comment of thanks to the media for respecting his privacy during his enrollment at Eton College) AP via CBS News
First post-engagement interview (2010)
- We had been talking about marriage for a while so it wasn't a massively big surprise. I took her up somewhere nice in Kenya and I proposed. … I'd been planning it for a while but as any guy out there will know it takes a certain amount of motivation to get yourself going. I was planning it and then it just felt really right out in Africa. It was beautiful at the time. I had done a little bit of planning to show my romantic side.
- I'm not an expert. I've been reliably informed it's a sapphire with some diamonds. But I'm sure everyone recognises it from previous times.
- On the engagement ring he gave to Kate Middleton, which had been his mother's engagement ring.
- I think at first they were a bit surprised that it had happened, then they realised it was really nice and it was good fun and we got on really well, they were good friends of ours as well so we had a good giggle with them as well.
- On the reaction of their flatmates when he and Kate became romantically involved with each other.
- When I first met Kate I knew there was something very special about her. I knew there was possibly something that I wanted to explore there. But we ended up being friends for a while and that was a good foundation.
I do generally believe now that being friends with one another is a massive advantage. It just went from there. I knew over the years, I knew that things were getting better and better and we went through a few stumbling blocks as every relationship does, but we picked ourselves up and carried on. From were you had the odd problem when you are first getting to know each other, those have all gone and it is just really easy being with each other, it is really fun and I'm extremely funny and she loves that so it's been good.
Quotes about Prince William
- For Prince William at least it was decided on the day of his birth what he should do: Find a presentable wife, father a male heir (and preferably a male "spare" as well), and keep the show on the road. By yet another exercise of that notorious "magic," it is now doubly and triply important that he does this simple thing right, because only his supposed charisma can save the country from what monarchists dread and republicans ought to hope for: King Charles III. (Monarchy, you see, is a hereditary disease that can only be cured by fresh outbreaks of itself.)
- Christopher Hitchens, Beware the In-Laws: Does Kate Middleton really want to marry into a family like this?, Slate, April. 18, 2011