Kenya, officially the Republic of Kenya, is a country in Africa and a founding member of the East African Community (EAC). Its capital and largest city is Nairobi. Kenya's territory lies on the equator and overlies the East African Rift covering a diverse and expansive terrain that extends roughly from Lake Victoria to Lake Turkana (formerly called Lake Rudolf) and further south-east to the Indian Ocean. It is bordered by Tanzania to the south, Uganda to the west, South Sudan to the north-west, Ethiopia to the north and Somalia to the north-east.
|This geography-related article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- It is that great roof of the African world where, beneath the silver heads of the Mountains of the Moon, came down in ancient days those waters and races which founded Egypt.
- Kenya is a country where you are guilty until proven rich. Kenya's poor are five times more likely to be shot dead by the police who are meant to protect them than by criminals.
- Well, you know India and Kenya have very old historical links. They go back millennia because we are both Indian Ocean bordering countries. So people from the Western shores of India came through the monsoon to the Eastern Coast of Africa. So, regional trade has been going on for a long time. We have Indian communities settling along your coast, for example, in Mombasa, Lamu etc. We have very old Indian communities there. Then of course during the colonial period, Indians came to East Africa, particularly Kenya, to help in the building of the Mombasa-Uganda Railway. Then they stayed on, became proud citizens of Kenya. So what I am doing is basically building a bond that has very strong foundation. I am just strengthening what we already have. I am very lucky because I came when when we just had the India-Africa Summit, the third of its kind, to which His Excellency President Uhuru Kenyatta participated. He had a very large delegation. He had a very good bilateral meeting with our Prime Minister and we hope that there will be a return visit soon from India. Besides this, of course trade relationship is very good, very strong. India is one of Kenya's leading trade partners and we hope to take this forward. There is a lot of Indian investment coming into Kenya and that is good for both countries. We have a similar developing country experience. We are good partners, for example, we have extended some lines of credit in the power sector. We are due to complete that project [power sector] in a couple of months and we also have other proposals in various sectors.
- Official website of the Parliament of Kenya
- Kenya. The World Factbook. Central Intelligence Agency.
- Kenya profile from Africa.com
- Kenya Corruption Profile from the Business Anti-Corruption Portal
- World Bank Summary Trade Statistics Kenya, 2010