Quran/Hell in the Quran
There are many passages about Hell in the Quran. The Islamic term for Hell is Jahannam (Arabic: جهنم).
This page quotes from the most prominent passages about Hell in the Quran. The translation used is The Clear Quran by Dr. Mustafa Khattab, and the links go to Quran.com, which provides additional translations. For more information, refer to the Wikipedia article on Jahannam.
- As for those who persist in disbelief, it is the same whether you warn them or not—they will never believe. Allah has sealed their hearts and their hearing, and their sight is covered. They will suffer a tremendous punishment.
- Fear the Fire fuelled with people and stones, which is prepared for the disbelievers.
- ˹Some of˺ the Jews claim, "The Fire will not touch us except for a number of days." Say, ˹O Prophet,˺ "Have you taken a pledge from Allah—for Allah never breaks His word—or are you ˹just˺ saying about Allah what you do not know?" But no! Those who commit evil and are engrossed in sin will be the residents of the Fire. They will be there forever.
- As for the disbelievers, their guardians are false gods who lead them out of light and into darkness. It is they who will be the residents of the Fire. They will be there forever.
- Surely those who reject Our signs, We will cast them into the Fire. Whenever their skin is burnt completely, We will replace it so they will ˹constantly˺ taste the punishment. Indeed, Allah is Almighty, All-Wise.
- Allah will say, "Enter the Fire along with the ˹evil˺ groups of jinn and humans that preceded you." Whenever a group enters Hell, it will curse the preceding one until they are all gathered inside, the followers will say about their leaders, "Our Lord! They have misled us, so multiply their torment in the Fire." He will answer, "It has already been multiplied for all, but you do not know." Then the leaders will say to their followers, "You were no better than us! So taste the torment for what you used to commit."
- Hell will be their bed; flames will be their cover. This is how We reward the wrongdoers.
- The residents of Paradise will call out to the residents of the Fire, "We have certainly found our Lord's promise to be true. Have you too found your Lord's promise to be true?" They will reply, "Yes, we have!" Then a caller will announce to both, "May Allah's condemnation be upon the wrongdoers, those who hindered ˹others˺ from Allah's Way, strived to make it ˹appear˺ crooked, and disbelieved in the Hereafter."
- The residents of the Fire will then cry out to the residents of Paradise, "Aid us with some water or any provision Allah has granted you." They will reply, "Allah has forbidden both to the disbelievers, those who took this faith ˹of Islam˺ as mere amusement and play and were deluded by ˹their˺ worldly life." ˹Allah will say,˺ "Today We will ignore them just as they ignored the coming of this Day of theirs and for rejecting Our revelations."
- Allah said, "This is the Way, binding on Me: you will certainly have no authority over My servants, except the deviant who follow you, and surely Hell is their destined place, all together. It has seven gates, to each a group of them is designated."
- And We have made what We brought you to see as well as the cursed tree ˹mentioned˺ in the Quran only as a test for the people.
- As for the disbelievers, garments of Fire will be cut out for them and boiling water will be poured over their heads, melting whatever is in their bellies, along with their skin. And awaiting them are maces of iron. Whenever they try to escape from Hell—out of anguish—they will be forced back into it, ˹and will be told,˺ "Taste the torment of burning!"
- In fact, they deny the Hour. And for the deniers of the Hour, We have prepared a blazing Fire. Once it sees them from a distance, they will hear it fuming and growling. And when they are tossed into a narrow place inside ˹Hell˺, chained together, then and there they will cry out for ˹instant˺ destruction. ˹They will be told,˺ "Do not cry only once for destruction, but cry many times over!"
- Is this ˹bliss˺ a better accommodation or the tree of Zaqqûm? We have surely made it a test for the wrongdoers. Indeed, it is a tree that grows in the depths of Hell, bearing fruit like devils' heads. The evildoers will certainly ˹be left to˺ eat from it, filling up their bellies with it. Then on top of that they will be given a blend of boiling drink. Then they will ultimately return to ˹their place in˺ Hell.
- Surely ˹the fruit of˺ the tree of Zaqqûm will be the food of the evildoer. Like molten metal, it will boil in the bellies like the boiling of hot water. ˹It will be said,˺ "Seize them and drag them into the depths of the Hellfire. Then pour over their heads the torment of boiling water." ˹The wicked will be told,˺ "Taste this. You mighty, noble one! This is truly what you ˹all˺ used to doubt."
- And the people of the left—how ˹miserable˺ will they be! ˹They will be˺ in scorching heat and boiling water, in the shade of black smoke, neither cool nor refreshing.
- Then you, O misguided deniers, will certainly eat from ˹the fruit of˺ the trees of Zaqqûm, filling up ˹your˺ bellies with it. Then on top of that you will drink boiling water—and you will drink ˹it˺ like thirsty camels do.
- Those who disbelieve in their Lord will suffer the punishment of Hell. What an evil destination! When they are tossed into it, they will hear its roaring as it boils over, almost bursting in fury. Every time a group is cast into it, its keepers will ask them, "Did a warner not come to you?" They will reply, "Yes, a warner did come to us, but we denied and said, 'Allah has revealed nothing. You are extremely astray.'" And they will lament, "If only we had listened and reasoned, we would not be among the residents of the Blaze!" And so they will confess their sins. So away with the residents of the Blaze!
- Indeed, Hell is lying in ambush as a home for the transgressors, where they will remain for ˹endless˺ ages. There they will not taste any coolness or drink, except boiling water and ˹oozing˺ pus—a fitting reward. For they never expected any reckoning, and totally rejected Our signs. And We have everything recorded precisely. ˹So the deniers will be told,˺ "Taste ˹the punishment˺, for all you will get from Us is more torment."
- May the hands of Abu Lahab perish, and he ˹himself˺ perish! Neither his wealth nor ˹worldly˺ gains will benefit him. He will burn in a flaming Fire, and ˹so will˺ his wife, the carrier of ˹thorny˺ kindling, around her neck will be a rope of palm-fibre.