Jump to navigation Jump to search
John Elroy Sanford (9 December 1922 – 11 October 1991), most widely known under his stage name Redd Foxx, was an American comedian famous for his risqué comedic routines, and his starring role on the television sitcom Sanford and Son.
- If you can see the handwriting on the wall … you're on the toilet.
- "Live from Las Vegas" 8-Track (circa 1970s)
- Love. Hygiene. That's the important thing. Hygiene. The toughest thing in the world: [you] have to turn to your mate one night and say: "You gotta wash your ass!" Shit. Knowing how difficult it is, I said it for you : You Gotta Wash Your Ass.
- Stage performance (1980), promoting his comedy album, You Gotta Wash Your Ass (1976).
- My first wife, I'll never forget her — and I've tried.
- We were poor. If I wasn't a boy, I wouldn't have had nothing to play with.
- As quoted in More Sex Talk : A New Collection of Ribald, Raunchy, and Provocative Quotations (2002) by James Wolfe, p. 114; similar lines were also used in the comedic routines of Rodney Dangerfield.
- Music played a large role in the survival of the black people in America — that and a sense of humor that just couldn't be enslaved.
- The Redd Foxx Encyclopedia of Black Humor (1977) (co-written with Norma Miller)
Quotes about Foxx
- Foxx was really the king of comedy and timing. He had one of the fastest comedic minds on the planet.
- Dick Gregory, as quoted in "Famed Comedian Redd Foxx is Celebrated in New Book, The Life and Times of Redd Fox", in Jet Vol. 96, No. 7 (19 July 1999), p. 40
- Redd Foxx had grown-up jokes. … You ain't never heard no Redd Foxx stand-up. Hell, you still watchin' Sanford & Son reruns.
- Omar Tyree, in Capital City (2008), p. 201