Richard I of England
- We, however, place the love of God and His honour above our own and above the acquisition of many regions
- If it had not been for his malice, forcing me to return, I would have been able to recover the whole of Outremer. Then, when I was in prison he conspired to keep me there so that he could steal my lands.
- Richard on his alleged betrayal by King Philip; Richard I - Gillingham (from primary source)
- Stick to your own grammar, my lord, for it is much better.
- Richard on being corrected by the Bishop of Coventry; The Plantagenets - Harvey