Scandal (season 4)
Scandal (2012–2018) is an American television show, airing on ABC, about a former White House Communications Director who opens a crisis management firm and works to protect the secrets of the country's elite while simultaneously trying to fix her own.
- 1 Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia [4.01]
- 2 The State of the Union [4.02]
- 3 Inside the Bubble [4.03]
- 4 Like Father, Like Daughter [4.04]
- 5 The Key [4.05]
- 6 An Innocent Man [4.06]
- 7 Baby Made A Mess [4.07]
- 8 The Last Supper [4.08]
- 9 Where the Sun Don't Shine [4.09]
- 10 Run [4.10]
- 11 Where's the Black Lady? [4.11]
- 12 Gladiators Don't Run [4.12]
- 13 No More Blood [4.13]
- 14 The Lawn Chair [4.14]
- 15 The Testimony of Diego Muñoz [4.16]
- 16 It's Good to Be Kink [4.16]
- 17 Put a Ring on It [4.17]
- 18 Honor Thy Father [4.18]
- 19 I'm Just a Bill [4.19]
- 20 First Lady Sings the Blues [4.20]
- 21 A Few Good Women [4.21]
- 22 You Can't Take Command [4.22]
Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia [4.01]
- Olivia: I know you're mad at me. But we both care about Harrison. And he would want us to...
- Abby: Harrison would've wanted all kinds of things. He would've wanted you to not get on that plane. He would've wanted you to not leave his side so that God knows what could happen to him. He would've wanted you to care about him before someone put a bullet in his brain. He would've wanted his champion, his gladiator to be here, fighting for him when there was still a chance he could've been found alive. But now he's dead. Harrison doesn't want anything now!
- Huck: I am Randy, the Smart Guy. That is who I am now. That is all I am now. And you are messing with that. When you walk in here, you make me hope. Randy doesn't hope. Randy works and he goes home and he plays video games and he goes to bed and he wakes up, and he does it all over again the next day. Hoping is bad for Randy. So do not come back here unless you are back for good. Next customer!
- Olivia: You abandoned them too, Abby. Huck and Quinn and Harrison. You abandoned them, too. You moved four blocks away into the most powerful house on the planet, and you left them out in the cold. I was on the other side of the world, but you were right here. And all you have to give is three minutes? What kind of champion, what kind of gladiator does that make you?
The State of the Union [4.02]
- Olivia: Cyrus, you know I'm not afraid of the I.R.S.
- Cyrus: I'll tell him you call every day. I'll tell him you call, asking about him every day, that you're pining for him. Sorry to be such a bastard, Liv. Craving meat really brings out the worst in me.
- Mellie: It's not the same. My child. Your husband. It's not the same.
- Cyrus: I keep hearing that. The loss of a child is greater. I resent that, never having lost a child. I resent having to feel like losing the love of my life, the only someone who ever made me feel like I was truly me, is less of a loss, is smaller than your loss. I am now broken. I'm not me. I'm forever changed. I'm undone. A broken heart is a broken heart. To take a measure is cruelty.
- Quinn: We were never a normal couple. You're always going to be the guy who pulled my teeth out.
- Huck: I pulled your teeth out because you couldn't mind your own business. You can never mind your own business, Quinn. And, if I had to do it all again to teach you that one valuable lesson, I would.
Inside the Bubble [4.03]
- Rowan: Re-entry is always hard. You emerged from deep cover. I mean, it wasn't covert ops. You weren't a spy. But I know the feeling. I know it very well. You come back, you re-enter to find the world kept spinning without you. You go to the places you used to go and you see the people you used to see and it's like something is missing. But really, everything is missing. Somehow everything is different. Everything is...
- Olivia: Colder. Everything is colder.
- Fitz: I need this all to mean something. This seal, this office... It has to mean something. I've lost too much. I've given up too much. I'm not even a person anymore. I am a statue. A monument. If I don't get to be some soccer dad in Vermont, then I need this all to have a point.
- Quinn: I spent three whole months keeping tabs on this office. I went to see you every day at the computer store. I constantly checked in with Abby at the White House. I found you halfway across the world. I'm the one who made sure this place didn't die. And I go M.I.A. for a whole day and no one even bats an eye. That is unacceptable. That is how Harrison died. We weren't vigilant. We didn't pay attention. So when one of us goes missing for twenty-four hours, the other ones freakin' look for them.
- Fitz: I yelled at you. I owe you an apology for that.
- Abby: You do owe me an apology, but not for yelling at me. You owe me an apology for not bothering to learn my name. I'm Abby, Mr. President. Abby Whelan. I'm Scottish, by the way.
Like Father, Like Daughter [4.04]
- Fitz: Maybe I find a convent in Switzerland and stick her in it.
- Olivia: That did not work when my father tried it with me.
- Abby: You make it hard for me to do my job. You undermine me here with Olivia Pope at every turn. You keep secrets from me. You make me feel...small.
- Cyrus: Red, there are things that happen here in this big White House with this particular President that you will never, ever know about. Some of those things, many of those things, will involve Olivia Pope. Several of those things will make it hard for you to do your job, but you are a patriot. You are a fighter. And so you will soldier on. As for feeling small, I don't do that to you. I suspect jealousy does that to you. My advice on that is this. You are not Olivia. You will never be Olivia. Hating Olivia for your own shortcomings will not change that fact.
- Fitz: I have dealt with Drunk Mellie, Bad Hygiene Mellie... No, wait. I got it. Smelly Mellie. I have dealt with Drunk Mellie and Smelly Mellie and Screw-Everything-to-Hell Mellie and Cry-baby Mellie and Eat-Everything-That's-Not-Nailed-Down Mellie. And I have not complained. But I will not put up with whatever righteous History-Rewriting Mellie you have going on right here, right now. This is not your family. You are not the mother. Not since Jerry died. Since Jerry died, you have abdicated your role. You have mothered no one. You hold nothing together. You pick up no pieces.
- Olivia: Burying yourself in work isn't always the best thing when you lose someone.
- Fitz: Running away isn't the best thing either.
The Key [4.05]
- Olivia: I'm working. I'm gladiating.
- Quinn: You're getting your expensive pants dirty. What are you doing here?
- Rowan: We're not normal...
- Olivia: Even if we were, normal people don't talk about...normal fathers and daughters don't...
- Huck: I pinged all of Jake's IP interfaces for the last two days which landed me in a geo-location data stream. Then I ran that through my QR-9 knock off and from there it was easy. He might of been wearing a cowbell.
- Olivia: There's not a single word in that sentence I understood. Except cowbell.
- Fitz: You killed my son. I am going to have you destroyed. I'm going to watch you fry in the electric chair and I'm going to have a party when it happens.
- Jake: You are a decent human being. You are a good person. I know this because she loves you. If you were not a good person you would be down here pummeling my face in. I would not be in the possession of a government agency. I would be in a ditch somewhere. No one would be worried about the timeline of my food and drink. I would be in an unmarked grave by now.
- Cyrus: Jake Ballard is a predator, an animal, a killing machine. And just because you've decided to turn a blind eye to that doesn't make it any less true. So, your boyfriend – your other boyfriend – is currently being interrogated in the bowels of the Pentagon, where he will eventually confess to his crimes after which, it is my profound hope, he will be executed. And the next time you need me, the next time you want to chat, you will find me dancing on his grave.
- Abby: You ruined David Rosen. You took a good man – an honest, decent man – and you made him think that to do any good in this world, he had to be like you. A liar. A cheater. Poison. Because that's what you are, Liv. You are poison. And everyone who touches you pays the price.
An Innocent Man [4.06]
- Abby: I am overstepping the hell out of my world right now, but if you love her at all, do her the courtesy of telling her what is going on. You may have never heard what it sounds like when Olivia wakes up screaming from a nightmare, but I have. And it's awful.
- Olivia: I know him. I know about him the way I know about you.
- Fitz: No, you don't know him the way you know me.
- Jake: I could sit here and rattle on about being framed and your father being behind the whole thing but really that's just my word and why should you trust my word? I've been lying to you ever since we met, right? My word's not going to change anything, it can't. We both know in the end you're not going to choose me. That's okay, Olivia. I want you to know, I need you to know... not choosing me is okay.
Baby Made A Mess [4.07]
- Abby: I cannot cry in the White House.
- Olivia: You can cry if you want to.
- Abby: Press secretaries can't cry! It's, like, a rule!
- Mellie: When a woman is president, they'll suddenly make first lady an official paid position. They will hire someone to do it. The minute a man has to do it, it'll become a real job.
- Olivia: I need you to get me into super-max.
- David: Liv, it's a super-max prison. They added the word "super" to the already quite clear "maximum security. " Dahmer was in super-max. That place holds people who eat people. And you want to what, just waltz in there wearing all your white stuff, have a seat in one of the cells, and drink tea with Jake? This isn't jailhousemingle.com. You can't just visit Jake. Hell no. There are clearances, protocols, rules. You already have a plan, don't you? I've been Poped and I don't know it.
- Tom: You think you have a father? I am so sorry but you don't have a father. You have Command. You were raised by Command. Command doesn't have a family. Command has soldiers. You take orders like any other soldier. You've been taking orders from Command since the day you were born.
- Olivia: My father is not a God. He is a man.
The Last Supper [4.08]
- Jake: Captain Ballard. Jake is what my friends call me. You're not my friend, Mr. President. Friends don't put you in prison for crimes you didn't commit. They don't refuse to hear you when you're telling them the truth. They don't hit you when you can't hit back. So, when you refer to me from this point forward. it will be as Captain Ballard. Is that understood?
- Olivia: I wasn't aware we were on speaking terms, Dad, let alone having dinner.
- Rowan: We are family, Olivia. Families fight. That's what they do. That doesn't mean you stop calling. That doesn't mean you stop showing up for dinner. When we fight, we forgive and forget.
- Jake: You could let me rot in here. Be easy. Solve all your problems. I mean, I did tell him that you loved me too, but I was just messing with his head. All you have to do is just turn your head and then you and that Fitz guy can just dance off into the sun.
- Olivia: Don't ever talk about me and the sun and another man again. Don't ever do that. Okay?
- Rowan: I tried, Olivia. I tried my best. For the first time in your life, you are on your own. You think the world is so terrible with me in it? Wait 'till you see what it's like without me.
Where the Sun Don't Shine [4.09]
- Elizabeth North: There's a special place in Hell for women who don't support other women.
- Olivia: There's a special place in Hell for women who spout that tired quote to justify their bad behavior.
- Olivia: You're not leaving. You were never leaving. You can never leave me alone because you have no place to go. The only life you have is the sad, twisted one you built here. The one where you lurk int he shadows, pull puppet strings, and pretend the world couldn't exist without your protection. You can't disappear, become a normal person, because Dad, you are not normal. You are a sick, lonely man who only knows how to lie and call it love.
- Rowan: Could you be more ungrateful? You're my flesh. There would be no Olivia Pope if not for me.
- Olivia: Who are you, Cy?
- Cyrus: Liv...
- Olivia: Who are you, Cy?!
- Cyrus: Liv!
- Olivia: Who are you, Cy?
- Cyrus: I am one of the most powerful men in the world.
- Olivia: Who are you!?
- Cyrus: I am one of the most powerful men in the world.
- Olivia: Oh, yeah? So you're not a bitch baby?
- Cyrus: I run this country. I'm nobody's bitch baby.
- Olivia: I don't know. You still sound like a little bitch baby to me.
- Cyrus: I am not a little bitch baby!
- Olivia: Then show me! Prove it to me right now! Show me who you are, Cyrus Beene!
- Andrew: So tell me, Mr. President. What's the one thing in the world that you can't live without? The one thing that you'd do everything in your power to get back?
- Fitz: What did you do to her? What did you do?
- Andrew: Tell me, Mr. President. How you liking that war now?
- Olivia: Ian, I know everything looks really bad right now and you don't know me, but I'm gonna tell you something and I need you to believe me. I'm gonna save us.
- Abby: Jake and Fitz can't help you. There is no man to rescue you. Do you hear me? No one. No one is going to help you. You are the only gladiator in the place. You are all you've got. You have to rescue yourself.
Where's the Black Lady? [4.11]
- Tom: He was a nice boy. But he was a boy. And you are a man, a great man, and I had to choose between a nice boy and a great man, and I chose the great man, and I am not sorry about that. I am proud of that. He was a sacrifice. I am a sacrifice. There are sacrifices that need to be made for greatness, brush that needs to be cleared for the path of history.
- Fitz: I need to know who I can trust in the White House.
- Tom: Is that why you're here?
- Fitz: Yes. In my detail, who can I trust? Where can I speak privately?
- Tom: The face that launched a thousand ships.
- Fitz: What?
- Tom: Helen of Troy. Menelaus got her back, but it took him ten years of war. Will you launch a thousand ships to save Ms. Pope?
- Quinn: Why aren't you calling the White House?
- Jake: If I call the White House, they'll kill Olivia. They can't go get her.
- Quinn: Then...it's the three of us? We bust in there and take on god knows how many armed mercenaries ourselves? All right. I'm down.
Gladiators Don't Run [4.12]
- Mellie: The irony is he chose you because he thought you would be loyal.
- Andrew: Probably the same reason he chose you.
- Olivia: The two of you don't belong here, not with Gus, not trapped in this place with him. You don't deserve what's going to happen to you. What are you, 24, 25? You've got your entire lives ahead of you, the whole world ahead of you, and with your skills, those minds, the potential you have, the chance you have. You did not lie in bed at night dreaming of being kidnappers, human traffickers, terrorists. You didn't dream of life in a Supermax prison, or on the run, or doing whatever the hell Gus tells you to do which is actually the worst option. You dreamed of power, of being successful, of running companies, of building something great. You should be getting wined and dined by venture capitalists, not working with some gun-wielding lunatic. Which one of you do you think he'll shoot first so he only has to split the money two ways instead of three?
- Abby: I don't have friends. I have Liv and... something bad has happened to her and I didn't even get a chance to be her gladiator because no one bothered to let me know that she was missing, that she was in trouble, that she needed me. All the times... All the times that she saves me. All the times. I would save her, David. I would go over a cliff for her.
- Fitz: We have to get Olivia back, not just because I love her, not just because having her out there is a threat to national security. There are soldiers who are never coming home because I tried to get her back. Someone's father, someone's husband. I have killed so many mothers' sons trying to get her back. The flags placed on the coffins where they lay are there because they had the courage to give their lives and I did not have the courage to give Liv's, so she has to come back because their sacrifice damn well has to mean something. They cannot have died for nothing. They cannot have gone to their death for no other reason than I asked them to.
- Cyrus: We will get her back. I promise you sir, I will do everything in my power to make sure we get her back.
No More Blood [4.13]
- Jake: Hey, I was calling you. Why didn't you answer?
- Quinn: Did you have a different, stirring interpretation of the "Your Boss is Dead" monologue that you wanted to perform? Because I already caught the Broadway version that Huck did.
- Cyrus: I made you a warrior. I made you a king! I made you a leader of men and THIS? This is what you leave me with? No! No! I'm done. I quit! And you can take your flowers and daisies, and your "love conquers all" and your hope, and you can choke on it. Because I don't work here anymore.
- Jake: They warped me too. They added a beast inside me too and he's a really good guy. He's so much fun. You'd like him. But I do not let him out. Ever. Not when I fight. Not when I kill. Not when I hurt. Because he's not allowed out to play. He's not invited. He's behind lock and key. You have to keep your guy in, Huck. You have to lock him in all the time. Otherwise one day he will be strong enough to lock you in and you'll never get out.
- Quinn: If we lose, if we lose Liv for good, I know what she is to you. I know how important she is. I know you need her. But I need you. You may be Liv's...puppy, but...I'm kind of yours.
- Huck: It won't happen again.
- Cyrus: She is precious to him, you understand? She is his beating heart in the hands of his enemies. With her they can bend him, they can break him, they can make the President of the United States dance like a monkey at a county fair. And as long as his heart is out there, beating in the hands of China, North Korea, drug lords, Russia, God knows who else, we are screwed. We stop it. We stop that beating heart. And that, my friends, is what your President would want us to do, it is what he would demand that we do, if his heart were not out there. If it were in here he would do it himself. So we do what he cannot do. We may need to neutralize the asset.
- Olivia: If you gave up the Presidency, what did I do all this for? Everything we did, I did, all of it, if you gave up the Presidency it would be a waste. Everything I've sacrificed to get you here, to keep you here, so you could be the best, so you could make history, so you could be the President you were meant to be. And you were. You were the President you were meant to be and then, when the true test came along, when I was taken because of you, you go to war? You sent thousands of innocent soldiers into harms way, some of them to their deaths, for one person.
- Fitz: I had to save you.
- Olivia: You didn't save me. I'm on my own.
The Lawn Chair [4.14]
- Marcus: Help us get justice.
- Olivia: You don't want justice. You want anger. You want outrage. You want retribution.
- Marcus: You're right. I do. So should you.
- Olivia: There is a dead child lying in the street in front of their homes. What would you do if there was a dead child, a child you knew, in front of your home? The fact that they stand in groups and say things you do not like does not make them a mob. It makes them Americans.
The Testimony of Diego Muñoz [4.16]
- Abby: He's good at his job.
- Cyrus: I didn't say he wasn't. You date him? Really, Red? That turns you on?
- Olivia: It's okay to be afraid. Sometimes fear keeps us safe. Sometimes it holds us back... I want her and every other child in this country to grow up in a nation that will allow them to fulfill their dreams just like I'm doing right now... You can do this job and keep your integrity. Just be honest. Be yourself.
- Huck: [describing the hole that B613 used as a form of punishment] It's important to have a routine. I ate lunch at the same time every day, even when I didn't have any food, even though I had no idea what time it was. I built things in the afternoon a bookshelf, a desk. I watched the sunset. That was important. I listened to the birds. I cleaned up files on my computer after dinner, then I slept. I tried not to dream. And every morning after I woke up, I wrote a letter to my wife and son. And I folded the letter up, and I put it on the bookshelf. And then I measured the walls.
It's Good to Be Kink [4.16]
- Huck: Where's Jake?
- David: It's just the two of us. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. You can be Newman. I'm fine with Redford.
- Suzanne: When did you become so weak?
- Olivia: Weak?
- Suzanne: Weak. Afraid. You're Olivia Pope. In political circles, that's like saying you've been to the moon. You've stood on the mountaintop. You make Rumsfeld look like a nanny that's how badass you are. You and Ruth Bader Ginsburg... that's it. That's all we got. The power you wield in this town, Olivia, it's legend. You used to exude it. It came out of every pore. It gave other women a contact high. So, I must admit I'm a little disappointed by your behavior towards me.
- Olivia: I'm trying to protect you.
- Suzanne: Protect me? That's... that's awful. I thought you'd be brave.
- Olivia: Sue...
- Suzanne: What happened to you? Where did your power go? When did you become so afraid of life? I'm not ashamed. This is my life, my body, my story to sell or tell or anyway, it's all I've got now. Okay? So, go ahead and call me a whore. Everyone who writes a memoir is a whore. You can also call me an author, an artist, a businesswoman. You can call me smart, and pretty soon, you can call me successful.
- Mellie: I'm running for Senator of Virginia.
- Abby: Well, that's...history making. Good for you. Good for Virginia, ma'am.
- Cyrus: You think so, Red?
- Olivia: It's all in the rear view for me. I need to move forward. I am moving forward.
- Cyrus: Moving forward? Towards what?
Put a Ring on It [4.17]
- Cyrus: It sounds like a shotgun wedding.
- Olivia: It is. And you're the pregnant bride.
- Huck: I pulled Michael's cell records, did a search for most-called numbers, came up with Phillip. Triangulated the cell phone towers to track him to the vicinity of his office servers and then hacked into their email. How did you find out?
- Abby: I listened to all of Leo's voicemails while he was in the bathroom.
- Huck: Well, that's one way to do it.
- Cyrus: You see me for what I am. A filthy monster desperately trying to hold on to the last shreds of its humanity. You are a good person. I know that. Ella could use a good person in her life. I'm not promising much, but I will promise this. I may not do it well, but I will do my best to be your someone so you're not alone. Okay? You're not alone.
Honor Thy Father [4.18]
- Olivia: Cyrus must be loving this.
- Abby: He's like a stormchaser in a van hurling down the highway, face pressed up against the windshield, grinning wildly, waiting for everything to go to Hell and wanting to be there when it does.
- Olivia: I've been in that van.
- Charlie: We gotta kill Jake.
- Quinn: No way.
- Charlie: Why not? Because Mr. Peabody out there says so? Or because, if we do, your boss will be sad?
- David: Does this mean you're in?
- Jake: I was never out, Rosen. But this means war, you know that, right? We're the good guys, but you won't always be able to tell. That's what it's going to take.
I'm Just a Bill [4.19]
- Rowan: It is your friends who do not know you, but I do. You are a warrior. Never reckless, never naive. Too smart to let fear drive you. Precise, quiet, calculating. You will wait for the right time, you will look at all the possible outcomes, you will understand what needs to be done. I know you. Because the apple does not fall far from the tree, Olivia, poison though it may be.
- Olivia: The mayor's wife is upstairs lying in a pool of blood while my team erases evidence of a crime scene so I'd say it takes a lot to surprise me because this is my job. This is what I do. Now you know what I'm about. Justice or your career. I can only get you one. So what do you want?
First Lady Sings the Blues [4.20]
- Abby: So Mellie Grant's run for Senate is legal because of misogyny. In this instance, misogyny is our friend. Is that what you're saying?
- David: No. No, I'm saying something less controversial and something less likely to get me stoned to death by my feminist sisters.
- Olivia: That's why you're calling? To ask for my advice about your wife?
- Fitz: I want to hear what you think.
- Olivia: What I think? I think you're supposed to be an optimist.
A Few Good Women [4.21]
- Olivia : No one is going to kill you, Russell. I know that sounds comforting. But trust me. It's not. You don't get off so easily. You don't get to die
- Mellie: A story broke about a young naval officer who had been raped. And now the only thing people want to ask me about is whether or not my husband is going to intervene on her behalf. Can I assume, because we're not monsters, that the answer is yes? Fitz?
- Fitz: I can't intervene. It would send the wrong message.
- Mellie: It would tell the world that we don't condone rape.
You Can't Take Command [4.22]
- Olivia: We have one goal. To bring down my father and to shut down B613 for good. To do what is right. So you tell the truth and you tell the whole truth. No matter what happens. No matter who gets hurt
- Maya Pope: Boo, I'm living out the rest of my days in this cell. You call that winning?
- Olivia: You could have killed him if you wanted to. So I want to know. How did you do it?
- Maya Pope: You sure do love a problem.
- Olivia: I don't know what you're...
- Maya Pope: You're so vain. It's always about you, isn't it? The problems you create so that you can solve them. The power you have to wield so that you can feel important. Did your father and I not tell you you were special enough when you were little? Did we not give you enough hugs? Aww, baby. This uppity fantasy world you've decided to be a part of it's not real, boo. Now you need to come on back down to this planet. Where the world doesn't revolve around you.
- David: You can't threaten me like that.
- Cyrus: Actually, I can. You see, when you know someone's pressure point, you can make them do just about anything.
- Jake: You are owed, Olivia. You want what's yours? Go and take it. B613 is gone. Command is in jail. I have delivered you home safe and sound. My mission is complete. And it has been my pleasure. Take care, Liv.