Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird
Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird (commonly shortened to Follow That Bird) is a 1985 American musical road-comedy film, directed by Ken Kwapis, starring many Sesame Street characters (both puppets and live actors). The film was produced by Children’s Television Workshop, The Jim Henson Company and Warner Bros., and filmed at the Toronto International Studios, and on location in the Greater Toronto Area.
- [sees the WB logo] Sesame Street is brought to you today by the letters W and B.
- I'm not even supposed to do this! Why, you should never jump from a moving truck! Why... I shouldn't even be standing up!
- Oh, I didn't run away. I'm going back to my real home on Sesame Street where I belong.
- Isn't flying wonderful? It makes me feel like a bird.
- Oh, Bird, this is goodbye. You're leaving Sesame Street.
- Don't worry, Bird. We can hug for real when you get back to Sesame Street.
- [surprised] What? Why, that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me.
- Nice work, turkey!
- [after the Grouch Anthem] Well, anyway, you've seen the best part of this movie, so sit back, relax, and have a rotten time!
- Maria: Don't forget, Big Bird, we love you!
- Grover: [lands in the Volkswagen] This is not Big Bird! You are imposters!
- Bert: What do you see?
- Ernie: Your nose, Bert.
- Cookie Monster: Don't forget to eat, Big Bird!
- Floyd: You're the biggest chicken I've ever seen.
- Count: [counting the closing credits] One! One Joan Ganz Cooney! Hi, Mom!
- Gordon: Okay. Let's... Follow that Bird!
- [first lines]
- Announcer: Ladies and gentlemen, would you please rise for the Grouch Anthem.
- Oscar the Grouch: No, no, no! With the Grouch Anthem, you stay sitting down! Down in front there!
- Feathered Friend's Magistrate: Now, here today, we have a sad, sad case that needs our urgent attention. He's only six years old, and he lives all alone, with no other birds around.
- Feathered Friends Turkey: He looks so sad.
- Feathered Friends Owl: That's funny. He looks happy to me.
- Feathered Friend's Magistrate: [surprised] Of course he's not happy! How can you say that?
- [The board members begin arguing around the table]
- Miss Finch: Madame Chairbird!
- Feathered Friend's Magistrate: Miss Finch?
- Miss Finch: [clearing throat] We all know he can't be happy. He needs to be with his own kind, with a bird family.
- Feathered Friend's Magistrate: True, very true.
- Miss Finch: And I know just the family. Where does he live?
- Feathered Friend's Magistrate: Sesame Street.
- Miss Finch: Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?
- Mr. Snuffleupagus: Oh, Bird, this is goodbye. You're leaving Sesame Street.
- Big Bird: Well, I'm not really leaving. I'm just going away.
- Mr. Snuffleupagus: Oh.
- Big Bird: Besides, as soon as I get to Ocean View, you can come and visit.
- Mr. Snuffleupagus: I can?
- Big Bird: First thing, ol' pal. I wouldn't go if you couldn't come and visit.
- Oscar the Grouch: [driving into a junkyard] This is where I wanna be - grouch paradise! Just look it at. It's like a work of art.
- Telly Monster: It is different, Maria.
- Maria: Oscar, I want you to turn this car around right now and head for Toadstool!
- Oscar the Grouch: Ah, an angry face in a beautiful place - heaven.
- Bert: Whattaya see, Ernie?
- Ernie: [points his binoculars at Bert's nose] Your nose, Bert.
- [Ernie laughs]
- Bert: Ernie! Get serious, will ya? We're supposed to be looking for Big Bird.
- Ernie: Right!
- Gordon: Cookie, will you stop eating the hubcap?
- Cookie Monster: Taste delicious, me so hungry!
- Olivia: But Cook, we haven't even started on our trip yet.
- Cookie Monster: That's okay. Me eat three other hubcaps later.
- Gordon: Cookie!
- [Maria is in the phone booth talking to Bob]
- Maria: Hi, Bob. No News About Big Bird, I Suppose.
- Bob: Yeah, we've located him.
- Maria: [shocked] WHAT?! [Susan and Linda rushes toward her in shock]
- Bob: He's right nearby, locked in a cage.
- Maria: He's locked in a cage?
- Bob: The kids saw him. He's blue.
- Maria: He's blue!
- Susan: He's blue?
- Bob: In some kind of carnival. The kids said.
- Maria: At a carnival?
- Bob: Right, Maria.
- Susan: That funfair! [Linda points at her watch] We passed that hours ago.
- Naria: That's what she said.
- Susan: Come on!
- Maria: Bye, Bob! [hangs up and she, Linda and Susan rushes to their car except Telly]
- Telly: How we gonna get him, if he's locked in a cage?
- Maria: Come on, Telly!
- Telly: Whaaa! [Maria grabs his hand and pulls him with her]
- [last lines]
- Count: [at the end of the closing credits] That is 278 incredible, colossal credits! Ha-ha, I love motion pictures! Wonderful! Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!
- It's Big Adventure! It's Big Laughs! It's Big Bird on the Big Screen!
- The First Sesame Street Movie Ever.
- Caroll Spinney as Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch, Bruno the Trashman
- Jim Henson as Kermit the Frog, Ernie
- Frank Oz as Bert, Grover, Cookie Monster
- Jerry Nelson as Count von Count, Herry Monster, Biff
- Richard Hunt as Gladys the Cow, Feathered Friends Member
- Martin P. Robinson as Mr. Snuffleupagus, Telly Monster, Grouch Diner Patron, Poco Loco
- Cheryl Wagner as Miss Finch (performer)
- Tim Gosley as Homer Honker
- Fred Garver as Barkley, Feathered Friends Parrot, Owl
- Trish Leeper as Mommy Dodo (performer)
- Gord Robertson as Daddy Dodo (performer)
- Shari Weiser as Marie Dodo (performer)
- Jeff Weiser as Donnie Dodo (performer)
- Noel MacNeal as Madame Chairbird
- Pam Arciero as Grundgetta
- Kathryn Mullen as Feathered Friends Magistrate, Grouch Diner Parton, Anything Muppet Girl
- Bryant Young as Mr. Snuffleupagus (rear end performance)
Special Muppet performers by: Kevin Clash, David Rudman, Caroly Wilcox, Cheryl Blalock, Camille Bonara, Fran Brill, Ed Christie, Michael Huston, Jim Kroupa, Brian Muehl
Board of Birds Members are performed by: Terry Angus, Kevin Clash, Tim Gosley, Trish Leeper, Rob Mills, John Pattison, Martin P. Robinson, Bob Stutt, and Nikki Tilroe.
Humans of Sesame Street
- Bob McGrath as Bob Johnson
- Northern Calloway as David
- Roscoe Orman as Gordon Robinson
- Linda Bove as Linda
- Emilio Delgado as Luis Rodriguez
- Sonia Manzano as Maria Figueroa
- Alaina Reed as Olivia Robinson
- Loretta Long as Susan Robinson
- Kermit Love as Willy
- Joe Flaherty as Sid Sleaze
- Dave Thomas as Sam Sleaze
- Alyson Court as Ruthie
- Benjamin Barrett as Floyd
Cameo guest stars
- Waylon Jennings as Turkey Truck Driver
- Sandra Bernhard as Grouch Diner Waitress
- Chevy Chase as Newscaster
- John Candy as State Trooper
- Paul Bartel as Grouch Diner Cook