See the discussion page for suggested formatting and inclusion guidelines.
- [after finding Clark]
- Jonathan Kent: Kids just don't fall out of the sky, Martha.
- Martha Kent: Then where did he come from?
- Jonathan Kent: I don't know. But he must have parents.
- [they both find the space ship]
- Martha Kent: Well, if he does, they're definitely not from Kansas.
- Jonathan Kent: Sweetheart, we can't keep him. What are we gonna tell people? We found him out in a field?
- Martha Kent: We didn't find him... he found us.
- Lana Lang: Nietzsche? I didn't know you have a dark side, Clark.
- Clark Kent: Doesn't everyone?
- Lana Lang: So what are you: Man or Superman?
- Clark Kent: I haven't figured it out yet.
- Jonathan Kent: Your real parents weren't exactly from around... here.
- Clark Kent: Where are they from?
- [Jonathan looks up at the sky]
- Clark Kent: What are you trying to tell me, Dad? That I'm from another planet? [sarcastically] I suppose you stashed my spaceship in the attic?
- Jonathan Kent: Actually, it's in the storm cellar.
- Chloe Sullivan: Pete, do you want to take a commercial break from the soap opera in your head? I've told you a hundred times; I'm not interested in Clark.
- Pete Ross: Your vehement denial has been duly noted!
- Clark Kent: I didn't dive in after Lex's car! It hit me at 60 miles an hour! Does that sound normal to you? I'd give anything to be normal.
- [after saving a boy from an explosion]
- Clark Kent: You need to talk to Mom. I think I really freaked her out this time.
- Jonathan Kent: You also made her really proud, Clark.
- Clark Kent: Dad, something else happened to me this morning. When I woke up, I was... kind of floating.
- Jonathan Kent: Floating?
- Clark Kent: As soon as I woke up, I crashed. I mean, Dad, what's happening to me?
- Jonathan Kent: I honestly don't know. As soon as you start breaking the law of gravity, we're definitely in uncharted territory.
- Lex Luthor: [to Clark] Save any more lives on your way over? Keep it up and you could make a career out of it.
- Chloe Sullivan: I hate it when you do that.
- Clark Kent: Do what?
- Chloe Sullivan: Just shut me out. It's like one minute, you're here; the next, you're gone. Clark, you're not outgrowing me as a friend, are you?
- Clark Kent: Chloe, I could never outgrow you. Other than vertically.
- Chloe Sullivan: It's amazing how far that Kent charm will get you.
- Lana Lang: Life is about change, sometimes it's painful, sometimes it's beautiful, but most of the time it's both.
- [talking about Lana's boyfriend]
- Lex Luthor: The kid that Kent saved today?
- Lana Lang: I just came back from seeing him. He's lucky Clark was there.
- Lex Luthor: I know the feeling... kinda makes you wonder if you're with the right guy. One chucks footballs; the other helps save lives.
- Lana Lang: For someone who just moved into town, you've got a lot of opinions.
- Chloe Sullivan: Clark Kent is a football player and Lana Lang is a waitress.
- Pete Ross: What's the matter with that?
- Chloe Sullivan: Nothing, I just want to click my heels and get back to reality.
- Lex Luthor: You both stood your ground and are doing what you want. I caved. You two have inspired me.
- Clark Kent: [sarcastically] Oh yeah. Joining the football team and pouring some coffee. We're a couple of real rebels.
- Lana Lang: Long live the revolution.
- Lionel Luthor: You get one.
- Lex Luthor: One what?
- Lionel Luthor: One chance to defy me.
- Lex Luthor: I can't figure out what you hate more -- the fact that my plan works, or that you didn't come up with it first.
- Lionel Luthor: Just remember -- empires aren't built on clever bookkeeping.
- Lex Luthor: Dad, you have no idea what I'm capable of.
- Lex Luthor: My father sent me to Smallville because he'd rather surround himself with drones than people who challenge his archaic business practices.
- Lionel Luthor: You know perfectly well how I feel about you.
- Lex Luthor: Hence I'm at a crap factory in Smallville.
- Lionel Luthor: Did you know the Caesars would send their sons to the furthest most corners of the empire so they could get an appreciation of how the world works?
- Lex Luthor: Whatever helps you sleep at night, Dad.
- Lex Luthor: I promise I'm not a criminal mastermind.
- Clark Kent: I know; a criminal mastermind would have worn a mask.
- Clark Kent: You go through life with a gift you have to keep a secret. When you see everyone around you being normal, you get jealous. You just want to be somebody else.
- Lex Luthor: You came into my life, thinking you could shake me down 'cause I'm just some spoiled rich brat who needed his daddy's protection. Trust me - when I make things disappear, they stay buried.
- [using x-ray vision to find a body]
- Clark Kent: It’s Tina’s mom.
- Pete Ross: Damn. How’d you know she was in there?
- Clark Kent: Because I can see right through the door, Pete.
- Pete Ross: Very funny, Sherlock. How do you think she died?
- Clark Kent: Broken neck... I’m guessing.
- Clark Kent: Mom, if you could see anything, what would you do?
- Martha Kent: Learn to close my eyes.
- Chloe Sullivan: This is what I love about high school parties. People will gather anywhere as long as there's illegally-purchased alcohol and even the slightest chance of hooking up.
- Jonathan Kent: We already talked about that.
- Martha Kent: I talked, you grunted.
- Jonathan Kent: I thought that I was rather articulate.
- Clark Kent: Hello, citizens.
- Martha Kent: I'm not familiar with this child. Where's the moody one? Lives upstairs, runs real fast?
- Clark Kent: Maybe I can help.
- Jonathan Kent: You already have. Last season you saved us four part-time hands.
- Clark Kent: I'm thinking bigger picture. You know, forget about this whole high school thing. Try for a pro sports team. I could make a ton of money in endorsements... [smiles] just trying to lighten up the mood.
- Martha Kent: As much as we'd love to see your face on a cereal box, we'd settle for you getting to school on time.
- Lex Luthor: The hardest thing in the world is telling someone you love, that you like them.
- Cassandra Carver: Because we both know... you're not like other people.
- Clark Kent: Sure I am...
- Cassandra Carver: No Clark, I've seen you. Before we ever met. More than once, I've touched people and seen such pain and despair and - But then you were there and the pain was gone. I think that's your destiny, Clark. To save people from fear and darkness. You can fear the future or you can embrace it. The choice is yours.
- Lex Luthor: Life's a journey, Clark; I don't wanna go through it following a roadmap.
- Clark Kent: It still wouldn't kill you to drive more slowly.
- Lex Luthor: I once read about a rich man who survived a hotel fire. He hung onto the ledge for an hour before the fire department rescued him. Afterwards he bought the hotel...always stayed in the room. When they asked him why, he said he figured Fate couldn't find him twice.
- Clark Kent: You might consider rounding those curves at a speed that won't actually break the sound barrier.
- Lex Luthor: Hey, where's the fun in that?
- Lex Luthor: You see, I don't want to do good things, I want to do great things.
- Clark Kent: [doesn't see Lana] Dad, I got the posts in the west field. I hit some granite, but I jammed it through.
- [sees Lana, pauses]
- Lana Lang: Very impressive.
- Clark Kent: Well, I had a sledgehammer.
- Chloe Sullivan: Getting your morning Lana fix?
- Clark Kent: Chloe, don't you ever knock?
- Chloe Sullivan: It's a barn, Clark.
- Clark Kent: Is there a reason you're here early or do you just enjoy busting my chops?
- Chloe Sullivan: Little of both.
- Lex Luthor: I don't care about the past - I believe in the power to reinvent yourself.
- Clark Kent: I can’t believe we’re creeping around looking for road kill.
- Chloe Sullivan: The deer’s in there... the door’s locked. I’m gonna go find a maintenance worker.
- [Clark uses super strength to open the door]
- Clark Kent: Chloe, it’s open.
- Chloe Sullivan: How’d you do that?
- Clark Kent: Kent charm.
- Chloe Sullivan: This is Smallville, Clark. Land of the weird, home of the strange.
- Lex Luthor: I hear you're taking a tour of my plant tomorrow.
- Chloe Sullivan: It's a class field trip.
- Lex Luthor: What'd you do wrong?
- Clark Kent: It's that bad?
- Clark Kent: Look, Earl worked on the farm for six seasons. I spent 12 hours a day with the guy out in the fields. He even tried to teach me how to play guitar. He said it was a good way to impress women.
- Chloe Sullivan: Yeah, we're all a sucker for a guy with a 6-string. How come I've never heard you play?
- Clark Kent: I kept snapping the guitar strings. I think Earl got sick of replacing them.
- Gabe Sullivan: Welcome to LuthorCorp, where we give a crap.
- Chloe Sullivan: (to Clark) Okay, somebody kill me now.
- Gabe Sullivan: A little fertilizer humor there. Before we go inside I need you to remove all your cellphones, pagers, jewelery. Anything that jangles, dangles or rings can go in these plastic trays right here. All right? Any other questions?
- Clark Kent: I heard there was a third level to the plant, is that true?
- Gabe Sullivan: Yeah, that's where we do the alien autopsies.
- Chloe Sullivan: (to Clark) Don't encourage him.
- Pete Ross: What are you gonna do now that you're officially home alone?
- Clark Kent: I was thinking of having a few people over.
- Chloe Sullivan: Do my ears deceive me or is Clark Kent actually suggesting a party?
- Clark Kent: A small gathering. You guys, a few other people, maybe even Lana.
- Chloe Sullivan: With or without her posable action-figure boyfriend?
- Martha Kent: We called six times last night, spoke with six different people, none of whom knew who you were.
- Clark Kent: It was supposed to be an intimate occasion.
- Jonathan Kent: Clark, where have you been?
- Clark Kent: The hospital.
- Martha Kent: That's it. I’m never leaving home again.
- [Lex points to a breastplate with an "S" symbol.]
- Lex Luthor: You know it belonged to Alexander the Great? They said the design symbolizes strength and courage.
- Clark Kent: I can't exactly see myself going into battle with that on my chest.
- Lex Luthor: Darker times call for darker methods. His opponents thought he was invincible.
- Clark Kent: I didn't know you were such a history buff.
- Lex Luthor: I'm not. I'm just interested in people who ruled the world before they were thirty.
- Lana Lang: Don’t worry, Lex. You still have a few years to go.
- Chloe Sullivan: It figures you'd side with her.
- Clark Kent: I'm not taking anyone's side.
- Chloe Sullivan: Yeah right, Clark, you're completely objective in all things Lana.
- Victoria Hardwick: He understands you may have certain negative feelings towards your father.
- Lex Luthor: Sir Harry has always had an incredible grasp of the obvious.
- Clark Kent: Phelan came back after you were arrested. I got so angry that I grabbed him. And for a second, I wanted to... I wanted to kill him.
- Jonathan Kent: But you didn’t, right?
- Clark Kent: Yeah, but I was close.
- Jonathan Kent: Believe me, son, I know all there is to know about losing your temper. But you can’t afford to do it. This is Phelan’s game, and he will play your fear and your anger but you cannot let him get to you.
- Clark Kent: I don’t care. I won’t let anybody hurt you and mom.
- Jonathan Kent: And he knows that. But once you cross that line, there’s no going back.
- Lana Lang: Clark, what happened to you last night?
- Clark Kent: I wasn't feeling well. Guess I'm not much of a city guy.
- Chloe Sullivan: You can take the boy off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the boy.
- Clark Kent: No, I think I'll play it by ear, you know, fly by the seat of my pants...
- Pete Ross: Clark, you're not the flying type.
- Lionel Luthor: Empires are not brought down by outside forces - they are destroyed by weaknesses from within.
- [discussing the blood drive]
- Jonathan Kent: Clark, you know you can't donate.
- Clark Kent: I know, dad but what am I supposed to tell her?
- Martha Kent: That you have a problem with needles, which you technically do.
- Clark Kent: Great, not only do I lie, but I look like a wuss.
- Clark Kent: Have you ever got information that you wish you hadn't?
- Lex Luthor: In my experience I've found you can never have too much information.
- Lana Lang: That's the thing about Clark Kent: he's not always there when you want him... but he's always there when you need him.
- Clark Kent: Don't do this. I'm your friend.
- Lex Luthor: Oh please. You think I don't see the way your parents look at me? The way half the town looks at me? You're no different. Friendship's a fairy tale, Clark. Respect and fear are the best you can hope for.
- Clark Kent: I don't see myself being a farmer when I grow up.
- Lana Lang: What do you want to do?
- Clark Kent: I'm not sure. Just as long as it doesn't involve putting on a suit and doing a lot of flying.
- Lex Luthor: Atticus Finch, To Kill a Mockingbird?
- Clark Kent: Never read it.
- Lex Luthor: You should. You two have a lot in common. Small-town heroes. Believe in the truth. Not willing to back down.
- Clark Kent: How does it end?
- Lex Luthor: It's not about the ending, it's about the journey.
- Clark Kent: What kills me is that I know that I'm right. I just wish I could get them to see it.
- Lex Luthor: That, my friend, is the key to leadership. Not only knowing you're right, but convincing everyone else. If you can do that, the world's your oyster.
- Kyle Tippet: Do you know what it's like to have to hide because of who you are?
- Clark Kent: Yes, I do. But when you have a gift you can't just hide in a hole and hope it goes away.
- Lex Luthor: You can learn a lot from someone you hate.
- Jonathan Kent: You know what they say: lightning never strikes twice in the same place. Look, my guess is that your powers aren't coming back.
- Clark Kent: Maybe being normal won't be so bad; I mean it works for you and Mom.
- Martha Kent: Oh, thanks.
- Clark Kent: You don't feel any differently about me now do you?
- Martha Kent: Clark, you're our son whether you can bench-press the tractor or not.
- Clark Kent: What do I do now?
- Jonathan Kent: Well, life isn't easy for anybody, whether you're normal or super. But you're still Clark Kent. You were raised a certain way and that's never gonna change. Sure, your abilities were part of you, but they didn't define you.
- Lex Luthor: [to Victoria] If sleeping with me was just business, I'd hate to think what that makes you.
- Clark Kent: You think I'm hiding something from you? Here. Take this hammer. Hit me anywhere.
- Lex Luthor: I'm not gonna hit you, Clark.
- Clark Kent: Come on! If I can get hit by a car, you can't hurt me.
- Lex Luthor: Clark, I just want the truth.
- Clark Kent: The truth is I'm just a guy who tried to do the right thing. Isn't that enough?
- Lana Lang: Can you imagine waking up one morning and having powers?
- Clark Kent: It's scary... I guess. I mean, look at Eric. It hasn't helped him.
- Lana Lang: That's true. But I still always wished I could fly.
- Clark Kent: Yeah, that'd be something, Lana.
- Jonathan Kent: Clark, your gifts are... well, they're part of you but they don't define you.
- Clark Kent: I know. But they complicate all of our lives.
- Jonathan Kent: Seeing how destructive Eric got, it just reminds me of how special you really are.
- Clark Kent: That's because Eric didn't get my two strongest gifts. You and Mom.
- Clark Kent: I just want to say I'm sorry.
- Chloe Sullivan: For what?
- Clark Kent: Letting you get hurt.
- Chloe Sullivan: Well, I am perturbed with you, Clark. I'm also mad that you didn't put out the Chicago fire of 1871, or prevent the fall of the Roman Empire, making you directly responsible for the Dark Ages.
- Lex Luthor: Clark, you can't save the world. All you'll end up with is a Messiah complex and a lot of enemies.
- Clark Kent: I saved you, didn't I? That turned out all right.
- Clark Kent: Chloe, you can't just go snooping around someone's house.
- Chloe Sullivan: It's a mansion. It's designed for snooping.
- Clark Kent: How you feeling?
- Chloe Sullivan: Like a million bucks... thrown in the washing machine set on spin.
- Clark Kent: The question is, how'd they get inside?
- Pete Ross: I don't know. Now stop channeling Chloe and come on. [Clark uses his x-ray vision] Oh no, not the Kent thousand-yard stare.
- Pete Ross: No offense, Clark, but digging up six pages of interesting on you is going to require some serious excavation.
- Clark Kent: I do stuff...
- Chloe Sullivan: Yes, and I'm sure that once I deploy my journalistic skills on you, I'll be able to unearth a skeleton or two.
- Clark Kent: You know, Chloe, this is a class project, not a corruption scandal.
- Chloe Sullivan: Relax, Clark, it's not like you have anything to hide, right?
- Pete Ross: In a world of designer water, Clark Kent is straight from the tap.
- Jonathan Kent: Let's just say that it's a very long road between what's sitting in our storm cellar and what's written on your birth certificate.
- Pete Ross: There was this bully three grades ahead of us. This dude was determined to pound dents into every kid in the school. One day, I guess it was my turn. He was just about to take my head off when Clark jumped between us.
- Chloe Sullivan: So Clark ran interference. Now, as kind as that sounds, Pete, I really don't think it falls under the "something amazing" test.
- Pete Ross: I'm not finished. Clark didn't just push brain-dead away. He put him through a door, as in splinters and broken hinges. How he did it, I still have no idea. The guy was at least twice our size.
- Chloe Sullivan: Clark, any comments?
- Clark Kent: Uh, well, we were, you know, six years old. Twice our size was three feet tall.
- Clark Kent: My biological parents are either dead or didn't want me. The point is, you're prying into my private life.
- Chloe Sullivan: I was just trying to be thorough.
- Clark Kent: This is a class project. I spent an hour yesterday with Lana. That's it. That's all I needed. I'm not some mystery for you to solve.
- Lex Luthor: This isn't you.
- Lana Lang: Why? Because I'm not doing exactly as I'm told? Because I'm not stuck in a corner hiding in a book? For once I am not afraid of life and nobody can handle it cause you all prefer the insecure little girl. Well I'm sick of her and all of her talk about her dead parents.
- Clark Kent: What's going on with Dad?
- Martha Kent: I don't know. He's been acting strange ever since he got home.
- Jonathan Kent: [Getting a beer from the fridge] Hey, Clark. Football game on TV. You wanna watch it with me?
- Clark Kent: Don't you have work to do?
- Jonathan Kent: Nah, chores can wait. Besides, I earned a rest. You can pick up the slack for me, can't ya?
- Clark Kent: It's good to see this whole hero thing didn't go to your head.
- Lana Lang: You think too much, Clark.
- Clark Kent: Right now, I'm thinking you don't seem like yourself.
- Lana Lang: Or maybe... [starts to undress] ...I'm more me than ever.
- Clark Kent: Lana... this is crazy.
- Lana Lang: That's the point. If life doesn't make you crazy, then why bother living it? I know that's how I want it.
- Lana Lang: I know you want me, Clark. Stop holding back. Come on... you're not made of steel. Or are you?
- Dr. Steven Hamilton: Remember, Lex. You're the one opening Pandora's box.
- Lex Luthor: I'm just the key, Dr. Hamilton.
- Clark Kent: I didn't know you liked comic books.
- Lex Luthor: Are you kidding? A strange visitor from another planet who protects the weak? When I was young he was my idol, not to mention that fact he's bald. I have the whole collection.
- Lex Luthor: I think he saw Julian as his second chance. A chance for him to have a son he could truly love.
- Clark Kent: I'm sorry.
- Lex Luthor: It's in the past, Clark. We would have ended up hating each other anyway. My father would have seen to that.
- Lex Luthor: What could you possibly have to complain about now? The plant's doing well. LuthorCorp stock is up.
- Lionel Luthor: I'm not here to complain, Lex. On the contrary, your performance lately has been... more than adequate.
- Lex Luthor: That sounds dangerously like a compliment.
- Ryan James: Are you sure you don't want to know how Lana feels about you?
- Clark Kent: I prefer to find out on my own.
- Ryan James: Clark, be careful of Lex. I know you like him, but there's a lot of darkness he keeps from the world. I've seen it in his head.
- Clark Kent: I like to believe in people's best.
- Lex Luthor: You know what those emperors you're so fond of talking about were really afraid of? That their sons would become successful and return to Rome at the head of their own army.
- Lionel Luthor: You think you can find your future in Smallville? I'm your future. Join me, Lex. Join me in Metropolis. How long have you been waiting to hear me to say those words?
- Lex Luthor: I've waited to hear other things from you for a lot longer. I'll return to Metropolis when I'm ready.
- Lione Luthorl: At the head of an army?
- Lex Luthor: Do you know what my father gave me for my tenth birthday? A copy of The Will to Power.. Behold the super man. Man is something to be overcome." Sun Tzu, Machiavelli, Nietzsche. They were the voices that nurtured me after my mother died. My father made every question a quiz, every choice a test. Second best was for losers, compassion for losers, trust no one. Those were the lessons I grew up with.
- Dominic Sanatori: I'll remember that if I'm ever interviewed by the biography channel.
- Lex Luthor: All I'm saying, Dominic, is try and remember who I was raised by. I try to deny it, but I'm still my father's son. Tread carefully.
- Lex Luthor: Do you have a family photo?
- Jonathan Kent: Yeah, I got lots of family photos, Lex.
- Lex Luthor: The only picture of my father and me appears in the LuthorCorp annual report.
- Jonathan Kent: Is this the part where I'm supposed to feel sorry for you?
- Lex Luthor: No. I just want you to understand if I'm guilty of anything regarding your family, it's envy.
- Lex Luthor: In his own way, he's just trying to give you something my father never gave me.
- Clark Kent: What's that?
- Lex Luthor: Limitations. All my father ever told me was "Don't get caught. Don't cause a scandal." That's not love, that's public relations. You have no idea how lucky you are. When my father dies, kings will come to his funeral, but when yours does, his friends will come.
- Lex Luthor: Let's be frank, Dominic. My father sent you here to spy on me because he's afraid of how well I'm doing. This was my last chance to prove myself and he just assumed I'd fail. Now he has to revise his definition of me. I'm not just his screw-up son anymore. Now I'm competition. And my father only knows one way of dealing with competition.
- Dominic Santori: There are some things better left between patient and therapist, Lex.
- Lex Luthor: You know, in ancient Persia, the kings would kill a messenger who brought them news they didn't like. In modern times, a sword in the chest might seem a little extreme. Something more subtle would be in order. Enjoying your drink?
- Clark Kent: Dad, I know how we can catch more fish this year.
- Jonathan Kent: What, new lures?
- Clark Kent: X-ray vision.
- Lex Luthor: There's nothing wrong with a good fight. Just remember, the man of tomorrow is forged by his battles today.
- Clark Kent: Could I use that? I mean, "the man of tomorrow" for my slogan?
- Lex Luthor: Knock yourself out.
- Chloe Sullivan: I just want to know what you stand for.
- Clark Kent: I stand for truth, justice, and... other stuff.
- Chloe Sullivan: Okay, well, I think the man of tomorrow needs to get a platform for today.
- Chloe Sullivan: So how goes the platform?
- Clark Kent: I haven't started working on it yet. I've been so busy meeting new people, I even got invited to parties this weekend.
- Chloe Sullivan: I can't believe it only took one day for you to be compromised by the lure of popularity.
- Clark Kent: Remind me to pull your funding after I'm elected.
- Pete Ross: This is just a pit stop. We wanted to take advantage of your 2-for-1 deal.
- Lana Lang: I figure that's the last step before I institute topless waitressing.
- Pete Ross: Well, here's to hoping it fails miserably.
- Chloe Sullivan: Well, my candidate may have won, but my friends lost. I'm really proud of you tonight, Clark.
- Clark Kent: Why?
- Chloe Sullivan: Because you're exhibiting dignity in the face of defeat. It's the quality that all great leaders possess.
- Danny Kwan: I see you in a uniform flying. You ever considered a career in the air force?
- Clark Kent: Um, I'll think about it.
- Clark Kent: We see each other every day.
- Chloe Sullivan: It was 45 minutes when my car happened to break down outside the Talon and you gave me a ride home. I practically had to tear you away from Lana.
- Clark Kent: Don't you think you're being just a little unfair?
- Chloe Sullivan: No. Whenever Lex and Lana are around, it's like the rest of us don't exist.
- Clark Kent: Wait, Chloe, why are you being so hypersensitive?
- Chloe Sullivan: You know, most men are from Mars, Clark, but you're from some distant galaxy that I've never even heard of.
- Clark Kent: Chloe likes me.
- Lana Lang: So how do you feel about her?
- Clark Kent: Like maybe we could be more than friends. When I saw her with Justin today, I got kinda...
- Lana Lang: Jealous?
- Clark Kent: It's like you find out this secret and it colors everything. I just can't believe I never saw it before.
- Lana Lang: Sometimes the right person can be right in front of your eyes and you never even know it.
- Clark Kent: I've always liked Lana, but I can never get near her. I just found out that Chloe likes me and I think I may have feelings for her too.
- Lex Luthor: So which one do you want to pursue?
- Clark Kent: That's the thing, I want to protect my friendship with both.
- Lex Luthor: Then you'll never get either one.
- Lex Luthor: Clark, love isn't about playing it safe. It's about risks. Unless you're willing to put yourself out there, you'll never know.
- Clark Kent: Have you ever been in love before?
- Lex Luthor: I've only loved two women in my life. One died and the other betrayed me.
- Clark Kent: I'm sorry.
- Lex Luthor: Some people are meant to be alone.
- Clark Kent: The printer's jammed, the scanner's broken, and the Spring Formal event schedule is late. Chloe leaves for a day and the Torch goes down in flames.
- Lana Lang: It's safe to say we won't lose you to the entrancing world of journalism.
- Clark Kent: I'm just afraid that if Lana sees me with another girl, she's going to think that the door is closed.
- Martha Kent: The door is closed, Clark. And you need to admit that to yourself.
- Clark Kent: Dad, Lex is just trying to do the right thing.
- Jonathan Kent: I know he is, Clark. I know he didn't try to buy me off, he's just trying to repay me for damages that he thinks he caused. You're right, I got no real reason to doubt him. It's just something in my gut tells me I should.
- Clark Kent: Lex isn't perfect, Dad. I know that. But slamming the door in his face over and over only helps turn him into exactly what you think he already is.
- Jonathan Kent: When did you get to be so wise?
- Clark Kent: Ask my dad.
- Clark Kent: You know, I remember the first time I met Chloe. It was eighth grade. She'd just transferred from Metropolis and I was assigned to show her around. The first thing she wanted to know was where she could buy a copy of the Planet so she could keep in touch with civilization. When she found out I lived on a farm, she insisted I invite her over to experience it first hand. I think she thought I was Amish. When I brought her up here, she just kissed me, right out of the blue.
- Lana Lang: Why'd she do that?
- Clark Kent: She said "I know you've been thinking about that all day, so I figured we'd get it out of the way and be friends."
- Lex Luthor: I found a man. He said something besides the meteors came down that day.
- Clark Kent: Like what?
- Lex Luthor: A ship.
- Clark Kent: And you believe him?
- Lex Luthor: I listened. Chances are he's just another crackpot, but I'd be remiss if I didn't check it out.
- Clark Kent: And when the next story comes up, you'll be sure to check that one out too. When are you going to be able to put your past behind you?
- Lex Luthor: Take a look at the stars, Clark. Some of them have been extinguished for thousands of years, but their light is only reaching us now. The past is always influencing the present. I can't change that. All I can do is try to understand it.
- Lionel Luthor: We're in business to make profits, not friends! You can't let your emotions get in the way of making tough decisions.
- Lex Luthor: Don't lecture me about letting emotions get in the way! This plant was showing a profit. You're only shutting it down because I wouldn't go work for you in Metropolis.
- Lionel Luthor: Lex, you may have felt that you found a home here, but you were mistaken! This was just your training ground. Well, your training is over! You're coming home, son.
- Clark Kent: Why would your father be against the plant?
- Lex Luthor: We have a complicated relationship, Clark. My father wants me to believe it's built on trust, but it's not. It's built on lies and deceit. Any relationship with that foundation is destined to fail. Lucky we don't have that problem.
- Clark Kent: Lucky us.
- Lex Luthor: I don't know. Just got a bad feeling. Kind of like when you can smell the air change before a storm.
- Clark Kent: Storms are a way of life around here, Lex. The trick is not to get caught out in the open.
- Lionel Luthor: It's suicide, Lex! You may get the plant, but you're putting your employee's homes on the line. Forfeiting your own future!
- Lex Luthor: Or forging a new destiny free from you!
- Lionel Luthor: You're not my enemy. You're my son.
- Lex Luthor: I never saw the distinction.
- Lionel Luthor: When Alexander the Great was dying, his generals asked who he would leave his empire to. If he would appoint a successor, it would keep the legacy intact... prevent generations of bloodshed! His answer was simple, 'I leave it to the strongest.'
- Lex Luthor: I believe the term is 'Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!'
- Lionel Luthor: I'll bury you and everyone in Smallville who takes your side!
- Roger Nixon: Why don't you stop playing the protector and admit the truth? You and your wife kept him because you couldn't have children of your own.
- Jonathan Kent: We kept him because he is our son and we love him.
- Roger Nixon: He's not your son, you deluded hick! He's not even human! You can kill me if you want for saying this, but you know I'm right. You're just a small man whose son's destiny is too big for you to comprehend. Clark doesn't belong to you. He belongs to the world.
- Clark Kent: Dad's missing because of me. I brought this upon us.
- Martha Kent: You can't blame yourself. You can't change who you are. As long as you live, people will try to exploit you. Your father and I have tried to shelter you as long as possible, but one day we won't be there for you. And you're gonna have to carry the burden of your gifts on your own.
- Clark Kent: Don't say that, Mom.
- Martha Kent: And when your day comes, I have no doubt in my heart that you'll make us proud.
- Roger Nixon: Mr. Kent, since the beginning of time, people have been looking up at the stars and wondering "What's out there?" Clark is the answer that they have been waiting for.
- Roger Nixon: Dying in a tomb. That's ironic. At least you got a legacy to leave behind... and a son to be proud of.
- Jonathan Kent: The first time Clark used his abilities, he'd crawled under a big oak bed that my grandfather had made, and I crawled underneath it to try to get him out. All of a sudden the frame just came up in the air. He was a toddler lifting, I don't know, 500 pounds over his head.
- Roger Nixon: What did you do?
- Jonathan Kent: We decided to take him to a doctor scientist, somebody more equipped to understand than we were. But when we got in front of the office, Martha, she said that if we left him there that they would want to keep him and we'd never see him again. So I took him home. Now, that may have been a mistake, but it was a mistake I'd gladly make again.
- Lana Lang: When the tornado came, I thought this was it. Fate had finally found me. Then I saw you in the truck and you put your arms around me and you told me that everything was going to be okay. I know, it sounds crazy, but I started to think of all the other times that you've been there to protect me. And I thought maybe there's more to Clark Kent than meets the eye.
- Clark Kent: You're right. It does sound crazy. I mean, there's nothing more to me than what you see.
- Clark Kent: I started to feel hot. And my eyes started to burn. All of a sudden, the spot I was staring at burst into flames.
- Martha Kent: Just by looking at it?
- Clark Kent: Hello? Hi, I'm Clark, I'm the kid who can lift up tractors and see through walls.
- Clark Kent: I want to make sure everything's okay between us.
- Chloe Sullivan: Yeah, it's hunky-dory!
- Clark Kent: Wait. Now I know something's wrong. The only person who says "hunky-dory" is my father.
- Clark Kent: Dad, you were right. Once I understood what triggered the heat, I was able to control it without thinking about... sex.
- Jonathan Kent: You sure about that son?
- Clark Kent: Trust me. Next time I have a date, I'll be able to take her out without setting her on fire.
- Jonathan Kent: Well, that's a relief.
- Martha Kent: My son is in jail. And your wife put him there.
- Lex Luthor: Maybe these fires were a cry for help.
- Martha Kent: Is that you talking, or is Mrs. Luthor talking through you?
- Lex Luthor: Mrs. Kent, I would never ask you to take sides against your husband, please don't ask me to doubt my wife.
- Martha Kent: Any good relationship relies on trust, but there has to be room to disagree. Like the way Jonathan and I disagreed about you. He couldn't see past the Luthor name, but I always thought you were truly trying to be a friend to Clark. Now I'm beginning to think Jonathan was right all along.
- Lex Luthor: Try to be more cautious. I let my passion get the best of me. I won't make that mistake again.
- Clark Kent: Lex, I don't think having passion is such a bad thing.
- Lex Luthor: You're right, Clark. Passion for life and work and friends is great. As long as you keep it in check. I should take a page out of your book.
- Lionel Luthor: Never underestimate the value of eccentrics and lunatics, Lex. Every Arthur needs his Merlin.
- [Pete finds Clark's spaceship]
- Pete Ross: This thing's got extraterrestrial written all over it.
- Clark Kent: Yeah, I bet there's little green guys running around the cornfield too, Pete.
- Pete Ross: I'm serious, Clark. Have you ever seen anything like it?
- Clark Kent: If the aliens came to Earth, don't you think they'd find a place a little more exciting than Smallville?
- Pete Ross: No, no, no, think about it. Crop circles, cattle mutilation. They'd be like kids in a candy store here!
- Pete Ross: So you're some sort of... what? You're not a human?
- Clark Kent: I don't know what I am. I don't know where that ship brought me from. I just know that I grew up in Smallville, and everything that I care about and everyone that I care about is here.
- Pete Ross: If you care about me so much, how come you never told me sooner?
- Clark Kent: Pete, believe me, there wasn't a day that went by where I didn't want to tell you, but my parents thought it was too dangerous. Not just for me, but for anyone else who knew the truth.
- Pete Ross: You didn't think I could handle it?
- Clark Kent: Can you?
- Clark Kent: Pete, another reason why I didn't say anything is because I knew people would look at me the exact same way that you're looking at me right now.
- Pete Ross: And how's that?
- Clark Kent: Like a freak. Pete, I've tried my whole life just to blend in, to try and be more normal than anyone else. Would you just say something? Call me... call me an alien, call me a monster. I don't care, just say something.
- Pete Ross: It's like I don't even know you.
- Pete Ross: Sure, Chloe. I saw a spaceship. I even met an alien.
- Chloe Sullivan: Really? Would you like to describe it?
- Pete Ross: Actually he looks a lot like Clark.
- Chloe Sullivan: I thought aliens were little and green.
- Pete Ross: I guess things aren't always what you think they are.
- Pete Ross: What about the x-ray deal? Have you ever used it to look through a girls...
- Clark Kent: It only works when I focus and I do not use it to invade people's privacy.
- Pete Ross: So you're telling me never once have you looked in the girls' locker room?
- Clark Kent: Well... maybe once.
- Pete Ross: That's my boy.
- Martha Kent: I think our not so normal son might be going through some classic teenage rebellion.
- Jonathan Kent: Well, I think I liked dealing with heat vision a lot better than that.
- Jonathan Kent: Get in the truck, son.
- Clark Kent: Give me one reason why I should.
- Jonathan Kent: Because I am your father and I just told you to get in the truck.
- Clark Kent: You're not my father. You never were.
- Martha Kent: If the green meteor rocks affect Clark physically, maybe the red affects him emotionally.
- Jonathan Kent: It would sure explain his personality changes.
- Martha Kent: The longer he's exposed to the green meteors, the worse he gets. If the same is true with the red rocks, then God help us all.
- Clark Kent: Hey, if you guys want to waste your life in this mud hole, that's your problem. I'm through being poor.
- Jonathan Kent: Listen, we might not have all the things that other people have, but I didn't think our family was about that!
- Clark Kent: With my abilities, I can make millions. Sports, TV... it's all waiting for me. You're the ones who have been forcing me to hide who I really am.
- Jonathan Kent: No! We are the ones who have been trying to protect you. We don't want anybody coming here and taking you away.
- Clark Kent: Protecting me? Using me. I'm just another piece of equipment to keep your little farm going.
- Clark Kent: Lex may be too afraid to tell you, but I'm not. No one in Smallville wants you here.
- Lionel Luthor: You seem to know a lot about me. You got a name?
- Clark Kent: Clark Kent.
- Lionel Luthor: Jonathan and Martha Kent's son? As far as I know, they're good people. Salt of the earth. I'm astonished they'd raise such a blatantly aggressive offspring.
- Clark Kent: Well, if you like them so much, I'm sure they'll put you up. I hear they have a spare bedroom, and I know they could use the cash.
- Lionel Luthor: You've got a lot to learn about tact, young man. But you speak your mind. That's good. It'll take you far.
- Clark Kent: Oh, I'm going to the top.
- Clark Kent: [reading a poem] It's a little mushy.
- Lana Lang: I almost forgot. Clark Kent, the man of steel.
- Lex Luthor: Anyone who doesn't appreciate poetry doesn't understand that it's all about seduction.
- Lionel Luthor: Lex? I can feel your smirk from here.
- Martha Kent: Are you all right?
- Pete Ross: Yeah. The doctor's say it's a hairline fracture, which is ironic because it hurts everywhere else except my hairline. Being part of this family should come with its own group health insurance.
- Lana Lang: If you really like someone, you accept every part of them. But you can't do that until they're willing to share every part with you.
- Clark Kent: My mom's been kind of secretive the last couple days.
- Lana Lang: A Kent secretive. That's shocking.
- Lana Lang: All these years, I've had this image of the Kents as the perfect family.
- Clark Kent: I guess we're just as dysfunctional as everyone else.
- Principal Terrence Reynolds: A person is judged by the company they keep. In my experience, Lex Luthor doesn't have friends. He sees people as a means towards an end.
- Clark Kent: I don't think that's true.
- Principal Terrence Reynolds: Time will tell.
- Clark Kent: Two progeria deaths in two days. What are the odds of that?
- Chloe Sullivan: I don't know. Lana wanted to cancel the Spirit Week party, but Principal Reynolds asked her not to. He said he wanted to keep things as normal as possible.
- Pete Ross: He obviously hasn't had his normal-meter reset for Smallville.
- Lex Luthor: You pushed me, and in hindsight, I appreciate that. In some ways, you're responsible for the man I am today.
- Principal Terrence Reynolds: I'm not sure that's a burden I care to take on.
- Martha Kent: How can you be as fast as lightning and as slow as molasses all at the same time?
- Clark Kent: Sometimes, Mom, I'm even a mystery to myself.
- Jonathan Kent: Wait a minute, didn't I just fix your alarm clock recently?
- Clark Kent: Yeah, but I crushed it this morning hitting the snooze alarm. Guess I'm not much of a morning person.
- Jonathan Kent: Must have got that from your mother. You know, she could be late to her own wedding. In fact, she was late to her own wedding.
- Martha Kent: Not all of us were trained by roosters.
- Lana Lang: What's wrong?
- Chloe Sullivan: Clark and I just had a massive blow-out.
- Lana Lang: About what?
- Chloe Sullivan: His secrets, privacy... my pathological inability to curb my curiosity.
- Pete Ross: Man, this "Mission Impossible" stuff is great. But other than my scintillating conversational skills, I still don't understand why you brought me along.
- Clark Kent: I need your spit.
- Lex Luthor: Ever wish you had a big brother to help you with your jump shot?
- Clark Kent: I think I've managed to become a pretty decent player on my own.
- Lex Luthor: Rachel Dunleavy came to see me. She says you and I have a few chromosomes in common. My father's chromosomes to be exact.
- Clark Kent: You mean...
- Lex Luthor: Personally, I think I got all the looks in the family.
- Lana Lang: I have done pretty well without a father this long. I don't know why I thought I needed one now.
- Clark Kent: I do. Lana, we're different. We don't get to see our biological parents every day, and see a little piece of who we are, who we may become. If I had a chance to get to know my birth parents, I wouldn't give up just because the first meeting didn't go the way I hoped.
- Lex Luthor: So you staged a one-man prison break? How did you manage to get him out without anybody stopping you?
- Clark Kent: Just lucky, I guess.
- Lex Luthor: You're the luckiest guy I've ever met. Let's hope it doesn't run out before tomorrow.
- Lex Luthor: Ryan, real life is not a comic book. Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty, make compromises.
- Ryan James: That's what your father told you. That doesn't mean it's right.
- Lex Luthor: Clark, I understand what you're going through, but sometimes, no matter how much you want to save someone, there's nothing you can do.
- Clark Kent: I'm not gonna let Ryan down.
- Lex Luthor: When my mother got sick, I spent all my time researching the best doctors and treatments. The most important thing I could've done was spend time with her. By the time I realized that, it was too late. I wasn't at her side when she passed, Clark. Don't make the same mistake I did.
- Clark Kent: I'm not going to let him die, Lex.
- Ryan James: Weren't they best friends?
- Lex Luthor: Once upon a time.
- Ryan James: Well, what happened to them?
- Lex Luthor: Well, they ruled the Guardian Realm together until Devilicus told Warrior Angel that they should join forces and conquer humanity. Together, no one would be able to stop them.
- Ryan James: What did Warrior Angel say?
- Lex Luthor: He refused. He believed it was a hero's sacred duty to protect those weaker than himself. Devilicus thought he was naive and vowed to destroy him and everything he stood for.
- Ryan James: Why do you think Devilicus went bad?
- Lex Luthor: I'm not sure. Probably wasn't aware of it. You see, Ryan, in life, the road to darkness is a journey, not a light switch.
- Ryan James: You should remember that, Lex.
- Lex Luthor: I'm prepared to sacrifice it if that's what it takes to defeat you.
- Mayor William Tate: You know, you've got money, but you're not from here. People don't like you. All it'll take is some fiery campaign speeches about outside interests controlling this community and you'll start to feel the heat.
- Lex Luthor: When Winston Churchill heard about the attack on Pearl Harbor, he broke out a bottle of champagne and said, "We've won the war." His generals looked at him like he'd lost his mind. America's pacific fleet was wiped out, France was overrun, and the Luftwaffe was bombing London. Churchill said America is like a giant boiler. Light a fire under it, and there's no limit to the amount of heat it can generate. If you start a fire, Mayor Tate, you better be prepared to deal with the flames.
- [at an anger management class]
- Lex Luthor: What are you here for?
- Helen Bryce: I drop kicked an orderly. I have a violent reaction to incompetence.
- Lex Luthor: The drop kick must have caught him off guard.
- Helen Bryce: So, what did you do? Verbally demean your butler?
- Lex Luthor: Cute. I took a 9 iron to a meter maid's car.
- Helen Bryce: Wow, now I'm really jealous. I've always wanted to do that. How'd it feel?
- Lex Luthor: Great.
- Helen Bryce: Word of advice, keep that to yourself in here.
- Lex Luthor: Guess I owe you a belated thank you.
- Helen Bryce: Actually, I should be thanking you. It's cases like yours that convinced me to leave Metropolis.
- Lex Luthor: I'm flattered I turned you from a life of nose jobs and liposuctions to small town medicine.
- Helen Bryce: For the record, I refused to join my father's practice and we stopped speaking.
- Lex Luthor: They hate when you do that.
- Helen Bryce: Sounds like you speak from experience.
- Lex Luthor: You witnessed my self-destructive phase. Then I almost let my father die... now I'm just trying to beat him at his own game.
- Helen Bryce: How's that going?
- Lex Luthor: I terrorize meter maids.
- Helen Bryce: Yeah. I drop kick orderlies. It's funny, I was never an angry child.
- Clark Kent: Lana, have you seen Chloe?
- Lana Lang: She's at the Sheriff Station giving her statement.
- Clark Kent: I don't remember ordering a side of hostility.
- Lana Lang: I can't believe you accused Ian of murdering Mr Frankel!
- Clark Kent: Lana, you have to believe me. I don't know how he did it but he is lying to everyone.
- Lana Lang: A boy with secrets. I'm surprised you guys aren't fast friends.
- Clark Kent: Don't try to turn this around on me. He's seeing you and Chloe at the same time. He's at her house. She's his alibi!
- Lana Lang: Clark, they were finishing up an interview!
- Clark Kent: Does Chloe always finish up her interviews by making out with the subjects?
- Chloe Sullivan: What really gets me is I should have known better. Only Chloe Sullivan could fall for a guy who splits himself in two. What is it about me? Do I have a sign around my neck that says "Mutant Magnet"?
- Lionel Luthor: I want you as my partner. Blame it on a brief bout of sentimentality.
- Lex Luthor: Sentimentality is synonymous with vulnerability. You taught me that. You're on your own.
- Clark Kent: I need to raise bail money for Joseph Willowbrook. He's being set up, I think by LuthorCorp.
- Lex Luthor: That's a pretty serious accusation, Clark. Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed by your conviction, but going head to head with my father? You're a little like David trying to slay Goliath.
- Clark Kent: Where do you stand?
- Lex Luthor: Any culture that's left a legacy that would endure for centuries has earned my respect. I'm afraid it's a losing battle.
- Clark Kent: Didn't David beat Goliath?
- Lana Lang: Whitney's shared more with me since we broke up than when we were together. What is it with guys and their emotions? The closer you get to them, the more they keep everything in.
- Chloe Sullivan: Must be some sort of protective instincts. You know, maybe we should just stop falling for guys who are trying to save the world.
- Clark Kent: I have these feelings for Kyla, and I don't want to doubt her, but I'm not sure she's being honest with me.
- Jonathan Kent: Well, Clark, not everybody's exactly what they seem. I mean, we should know that better than anybody.
- Lionel Luthor: Lex, have I done something in the recent past to offend you?
- Lex Luhor: There are so many ways I could answer that question, Dad.
- Clark Kent: Lex, you've been dating Helen for a while. But nothing you ever told me about her would lead me to believe she's the espionage type.
- Lex Luthor: I'm afraid one day you'll learn the frustrating truth, Clark. People are seldom whom they appear to be.
- Clark Kent: Did she give you any kind of explanation?
- Lex Luthor: Didn't get that far. When she learned that I had her investigated, she turned hostile and stormed out.
- Clark Kent: If I knew someone was investigating me, I'd be a little ticked off too.
- Lex Luthor: You're telling me my father offered you $100,000 against your will? Why would he do that?
- Helen Bryce: I can't even begin to fathom the depths of the Luthor family pathology.
- Lex Luthor: You could have been honest. You could have told me.
- Helen Bryce: I was about to. But before I could say a word, I realized I was in the middle of an interrogation.
- Lex Luthor: Helen, if I had known...
- Helen Bryce: No, I'm glad that this happened. It showed me who I was really dealing with. You know, I've done some pretty stupid things in my life, but this could possibly win the Nobel Prize for stupidity. I fell for someone who never really existed.
- Martha Kent: Sweetheart, are you all right?
- Clark Kent: I just can't help thinking that... Whitney's skin wasn't bulletproof. His bones weren't unbreakable, but he still put himself in harm's way so the world could be safer. I wonder if I didn't have my abilities if I'd have that same kind of courage.
- Jonathan Kent: Son, there is no doubt in our minds that you would.
- Lex Luthor: From the time I was born, I was raised in an environment of suspicion and distrust. My father taught me to regard everyone as an adversary no matter who they are.
- Helen Bryce: I'm really sorry you had to grow up like that, Lex, I am.
- Lex Luthor: When my mother died, I began to build a wall around my heart. Every year that wall grew taller and more fortified until eventually it became impenetrable. I want to tear the wall down, Helen, I do. I just-- I don't have the slightest clue how to do it.
- Helen Bryce: Lex...
- Lex Luthor: I never once asked anyone for help, but I'm asking you now. Help me, Helen. I don't want to become my father.
- Lana Lang: It seems like every person that I've ever gotten close to just leaves.
- Clark Kent: That's not true.
- Lana Lang: Yeah, it is. My parents, Nell, now Whitney. I know I haven't been a good friend.
- Clark Kent: You've been a great friend.
- Lana Lang: No, I have doubted you, accused you of things, and still you're here protecting me. I don't care if you have secrets, Clark. You are the one good, constant thing in my life and I don't want to lose you too.
- Clark Kent: I'm not going anywhere.
- Clark Kent: Lex, what's going on?
- Lex Luthor: Big Brother is listening, or should I say "Big Daddy"?
- Clark Kent: What are you saying, your dad's spying on you?
- Lex Luthor: I had the inside track on a multi-million dollar contract. At the last minute, LuthorCorp manages to underbid me. You do the math.
- Clark Kent: Lex, you've got to calm down...
- Lex Luthor: Don't tell me to calm down, Clark! How would you feel if someone were listening to every private word you uttered, learning all your secrets?
- Jonathan Kent: [to Lex] Look, I don't know how things work in your house, but around here, we think it's important to respect other people's privacy.
- Clark Kent: Dad...
- Lex Luthor: It's all right, Clark... Mr. Kent, ever since the day I moved to Smallville, I've done nothing but try to be a friend to you. And in return, you do nothing but lecture me with sanctimonious platitudes. I'm done listening to them.
- Martha Kent: Why don't you just let us go? You can avoid adding kidnapping to the breaking and entering charges!
- Lionel Luthor: You should listen to this woman. I find her advice invariably sound.
- Lex Luthor: Clark, how did you get inside?
- Lionel Luthor: The boy's resourceful, Lex. What difference does it make how he did it? He saved us. That's what's important.
- Lex Luthor: Dad. I want you to know I was doing everything I could to secure your release.
- Lionel Luthor: [sarcastically] Oh, I'm sure you did a great deal.
- Jonathan Kent: Wait. Are you sure that this is the best thing to do? Quit, I mean.
- Martha Kent: What do you mean? I thought you'd be happy about it.
- Jonathan Kent: If you hadn't been working for Lionel, then we'd have no way of knowing that he was keeping tabs on Clark.
- Martha Kent: So, instead of staying away from him...
- Jonathan Kent: Maybe we should take a page out of the Luthor playbook.
- Dominic Sanatori: You can save the concerned son routine, Lex. I have everything under control.
- Lex Luthor: The loyal lapdog sitting watch at his master's door, secretly hoping he doesn't make it?
- Dominic Sanatori: As I recall, you almost let him die once. Who's to say you didn't try to finish the job? God knows after yesterday, you'd have enough reason to want him dead.
- Lex Luthor: You know what I find so amusing about you, Dominic, is that you actually believe my father is grooming you.
- Dominic Sanatori: It's unfortunate that they already have a suspect in custody. I can't think of a person with a better motive for killing your father than you.
- Lionel Luthor: If you were really ready to run LexCorp, there's no way I could have taken it from you. Look at this as an opportunity for us to work together again, father and son.
- Lex Luthor: When I broke away from you, I swore I'd never be under your thumb again.
- Lionel Luthor: It's my hope that you'll stay and rise to the challenge.
- Lex Luthor: Your ego wouldn't allow it. I'll fight you on this and I'll win.
- Lionel Luthor: You better have something stronger than words to back up those threats, son, because as of this moment you are just another employee.
- Lex Luthor: So now you're implying I pulled the trigger?
- Clark Kent: It's not like I haven't seen you shoot someone before.
- Lex Luthor: Get out of here before you say something you really regret.
- Clark Kent: I'm not going anywhere. Not until I get some answers. Are you trying to frame my dad?
- Lex Luthor: After all this time, I thought you knew me better than the average tabloid reader.
- Clark Kent: If you don't start trusting me with the truth, what else am I supposed to think?
- Lex Luthor: Stay out of it, Clark.
- Clark Kent: My dad's life is at stake here!
- Lex Luthor: So is my father's!
- Clark Kent: You grow up with someone, you think you know them, but... I mean, darkness like that just doesn't come out of nowhere... I'm sorry about your company. What's gonna happen next?
- Lex Luthor: My father thinks I'll go back to work for him.
- Clark Kent: Will you?
- Lex Luthor: It's hard to imagine working for a man who can enrage four people to the point where any one of them had motive to kill him.
- Clark Kent: Even you.
- Lex Luthor: You know that darkness you were talking about? I'm not sure we're born with it. I think people like my father find a way to bring it out.
- Lex Luthor: So you took an honest man and destroyed him. And by proxy, almost ruined Jonathan Kent. How does it feel, Dad, knowing you brought this on yourself?
- Lionel Luthor: But I didn't, Lex. You did... engineering your ill-advised employee coup.
- Lex Luthor: And you actually believe that?
- Lionel Luthor: It's all right, son. I forgive you.
- Chloe Sullivan: My feelings for Clark are so ancient, they're... they're fossilized!
- Chloe Sullivan: What are you?
- Clark Kent: Let's just say I'm not from around here.
- Chloe Sullivan: [to Pete] You knew about this?
- Pete Ross: He's my brother... from another planet.
- Chloe Sullivan: Can you fly?
- Clark Kent: Whoa, wait a minute. I may be an alien, but I'm not a cartoon.
- Chloe Sullivan: [to Lex] You know, I always wondered. For a boy who has all the money in the world, you'd think he could afford a good toupee.
- [Pete knocks Clark unconscious with Kryptonite]
- Chloe Sullivan: Whoa! How'd you do that?
- Pete Ross: Clark's Achilles' heel. He may be a boy scout, but I'm always prepared.
- Pete Ross: Working at the Talon... could you be any more obvious?
- Clark Kent: What happened to the Pete Ross rule of proximity? "If you wanna get in the game, you've gotta get on the court."
- Pete Ross: Clark, Lana would be your boss. She's going to take out all of her pent up frustrations of all the times you've ever let her down. You're not going to be in the game. You're going to be in the locker room cleaning the toilets.
- Lucas Luthor: [to Clark] So, you and Lex seem close.
- Pete Ross: What, are you kidding? They're like brothers.
- Clark Kent: So, Lucas, where did you grow up?
- Lucas Luthor: All over.
- Pete Ross: Must be kind of weird not knowing your mom or your dad.
- Lucas Luthor: No, not really. Parents always try to make you little versions of them selves. When you grow up without those constraints, you're allowed to become your own person.
- Clark Kent: It's an interesting theory. I don't think I buy it, though.
- Lucas Luthor: All right. Let's take you and Lex, for example. If he were raised by your parents and you were raised by Lionel, you wouldn't grow up to be different people? Trust me, you'd be rich and miserable, and he'd be wearing flannel. But if you were left totally alone, abandoned by your parents, how do you think you'd turn out?
- Lex Luthor: I bet a lot of people are out looking for you. Like your friends from Edge City.
- Lucas Luthor: Oh, wow, Lex, is that a threat?
- Lex Luthor: You know, Lucas, the Luthor gene pool is a shark tank, and our father's just chummed the waters. Good Luck.
- Clark Kent: I'm sorry that Lucas didn't turn out to be the brother you wanted.
- Lex Luthor: Considering his father, I'm surprised he's still alive at all.
- Clark Kent: Where is Lucas now?
- Lex Luthor: Safe. But I'm going to have some work to do to regain his trust.
- Clark Kent: You will. You're not your father.
- Lex Luthor: Sometimes, Clark, we're all held hostage by the will of our fathers. The only difference is, your dad is a good man. All my father does is push people away.
- Clark Kent: As long as I live, I don't think I'm ever going to understand your family.
- Lex Luthor: Neither will I. Just remember, my father may try and rule the world, but yours will inherit the earth.
- Chloe Sullivan: Well, this is gonna make quite a story. "Clark Kent ends record-breaking perfect attendance streak." Sorry. I'm doing it again. I just... I've never seen you sick before, and it just got me thinking, you know? What if something did happen to you? And I never got to... [pause] So in yet another classic maneuver to avoid emotional intimacy, I wrote my feelings down so that I could read them to you, thereby eliminating embarrassing eye contact. [reading] "I want to let you in on a secret. I'm not who you think I am. In fact, my disguise is so thin, I'm surprised you haven't seen right through me. I'm the girl of your dreams masquerading as your best friend. Sometimes I want to rip off this façade like I did at the Spring Formal, but I can't because you'll get scared and you'll run away again. So I decided that it's better to live with a lie than expose my true feelings." [stops] This is so much easier when you're unconscious... [continues reading] "My dad told me there are two types of girls. The ones you grow out of and the ones you grow into. I really hope I'm the latter. I may not be the one you love today, but I'll let you go for now, hoping one day you'll fly back to me because I think you're worth the wait."
- Clark Kent: I offered Dad a bit of spot welding, but he said it'd only slow him down.
- Jonathan Kent: Son, as hard as it is for you to believe, even your abilities are no substitute for a three-quarter inch copper washer.
- Clark Kent: Pete, are you sure the ship will be safe in your shed?
- Pete Ross: Yeah, we'll put it between the old Betamax and my dad's Pong game. Indiana Jones couldn't find it down there.
- Jonathan Kent: Look, I need you to promise me that you won't tell anybody about this, and I mean anybody.
- Helen Bryce: Mr. Kent, I take my doctor/patient confidentiality very seriously. But Clark needs proper care.
- Jonathan Kent: Doctor, Clark isn't exactly what you'd call a normal boy.
- Helen Bryce: I need to get a blood sample.
- Jonathan Kent: Listen, Dr. Bryce, you can't do that.
- Helen Bryce: Is this some sort of religious thing?
- Jonathan Kent: No, I mean literally, you can't do that.
- Clark Kent: Is Chloe okay?
- Lana Lang: What happened to you really affected her. Me too. It was really hard seeing you sick. Guess I somehow always thought of you as invincible.
- Clark Kent: Now you think I'm just human.
- Lana Lang: I guess that's my way of saying that you mean a lot to me, Clark. And I know it's not very eloquent... but I guess some people are just better with words than others.
- Clark Kent: What is it?
- Virgil Swann: It's a message from the stars, Clark. All my life, I've been staring out into space wondering. Wondering is anybody else out there? And then 13 years ago, I got an answer.
- Clark Kent: The day of the meteor shower.
- Virgil Swann: One of my receiving stations picked up a faint signal. It took me years to decrypt it. And finally, I discovered a mathematical key that was built into the transmission.
- Clark Kent: Can you read it?
- Virgil Swann: Yes. It says "This is Kal-El of Krypton. Our infant son, our last hope. Please protect him and deliver him from evil."
- Virgil Swann: I've always wondered what happened to that child, if he survived the journey, if he lived among us. And then three days ago, I saw the symbol for Hope burned onto the side of a barn in Smallville, and I found that the farmer and his wife had an adopted son.
- Clark Kent: So you think I'm Kal-El? I'm just Clark Kent.
- Virgil Swann: No, no, I'm not trying to expose you, Clark. I'm just... I'm just seeking the truth.
- Clark Kent: I'm sorry, Doctor. The truth is, I'm not who you think I am.
- Virgil Swann: If you can live with that decision, so can I. But if you walk out that door, it'll never be open to you again.
- Virgil Swann: That's where Krypton was. I followed the signal's path billions of miles out into space. I was hoping to discover its origin but instead, I found nothing.
- Clark Kent: Planets just don't disappear. What do you think happened to it?
- Virgil Swann: Oh, it could be any one of a million different scenarios. War, famine, disease. I mean, look at the world around us. Is it really that hard to believe?
- Clark Kent: It's a message from my biological father. I'm sure I'm reading it wrong.
- Jonathan Kent: Why? What does it say?
- Clark Kent: [reading] "On this third planet from this star Sol, you will be a god among men. They are a flawed race. Rule them with strength, my son. That is where your greatness lies." I think I was sent here to conquer. What kind of planet am I from?
- Jonathan Kent: Clark Kent, you're here to be a force for good, not a force of evil.
- Clark Kent: How can you be so sure?
- Jonathan Kent: Because I am your father. I raised you, and I know you better than anyone.
- Chloe Sullivan: What are you doing to those poor citrus?
- Clark Kent: Well, apparently there's enough acid in them to act as a battery.
- Chloe Sullivan: How very "Survivor" of you. What are you going to call it? A Clockwork Orange?
- Pete Ross: Don't you wish you were the first one to say that?
- Clark Kent: It's like Cyrus is in his own world. He takes teenage alienation to a whole new level.
- Lana Lang: Well, we all have our ways of escaping from our lives. I ride, Chloe writes, and you... you do incredibly strenuous farm chores by yourself.
- Clark Kent: Well, I guess you know my deepest and darkest secret now.
- Clark Kent: You don't think he's really an alien, do you?
- Chloe Sullivan: No. But wouldn't it be awesome if he was, though?
- Clark Kent: Yeah, it'd be the story of the century, wouldn't it?
- Chloe Sullivan: This isn't about Pulitzers, Clark. I mean, can you imagine being from another planet? The experiences you could share?
- Clark Kent: It wouldn't freak you out?
- Chloe Sullivan: Compared to most people, I think aliens would be a step up.
- Lex Luthor: I never figured you for having an identity crisis, Clark.
- Clark Kent: It's for a friend.
- Lex Luthor: Haven't heard that one before. What's your friend's problem? Napoleon or Messiah complex?
- Clark Kent: Actually he thinks he's an alien.
- Lex Luthor: So that proves he isn't... come on, Clark, if you were really an alien would you go around telling people about it?
- Clark Kent: Probably not.
- Lex Luthor: Let me guess. Your friend, he's a little odd. Spends a lot of time alone, thinks no one understands him. I just described myself in high school. It's a classic outsider profile. I'd say he's just trying to get attention. You believe there are aliens among us, Clark?
- Chloe Sullivan: Trust me. This kid is more David Blaine than he is Wall of Weird.
- Clark Kent: All right, well, that still doesn't explain how he cured Tyson.
- Chloe Sullivan: Yeah, I haven't figured that one out yet. But I'd be willing to bet that he faked that one too somehow.
- Clark Kent: No, I was there. It was real.
- Chloe Sullivan: Okay, well, I'm not discounting the possibility that he may have some magic healing power. But if he does, it's probably byproduct of meteorite poisoning. He is no more extraterrestrial than you are.
- Jonathan Kent: Sheriff, we know our son and Clark would never deliberately hurt anybody. I'm sure whatever he did, he did it 'cause he thought he had to.
- Sheriff Nancy Adams: By throwing another young man across my police car? I ran a complete check on your son, Mr. Kent. He's been at more crime scenes than Eliot Ness.
- Martha Kent: If Clark's been involved with police business, it's only because he was trying to help people.
- Sheriff Nancy Adams: Or maybe he's got some kind of hero complex? I mean, even heroes got to play by the rules.
- Pete Ross: Clark Kent, convict.
- Chloe Sullivan: Yeah, I know, when do you get fit for that orange jump suit? Or is it one size fits all?
- Clark Kent: Forty hours of community service is not funny... it's an orange vest.
- Chloe Sullivan: Oh, no! It's gonna clash with the plaid!
- Pete Ross: Welcome to Smallville, where you stop the crime, you do the time.
- Sheriff Nancy Adams: Very pithy. Maybe I should use that as my campaign slogan?
- Lex Luthor: Lana, I know what it's like to feel vulnerable.
- Lana Lang: You?
- Lex Luthor: Trust me. Eccentric bald kids sit pretty low on the prep school totem pole.
- Jonathan Kent: You did throw him into that car, Clark.
- Clark Kent: Maybe this is where it all starts. Remember what it said in the spaceship? "They're a flawed race. Rule them with strength."
- Jonathan Kent: Son, I got into a lot of fights when I was your age too, believe me. But, Clark, these are not alien feelings. What you have to remember under these circumstances is that there are consequences.
- Martha Kent: Your father's right. You don't make decisions in a split second that you have to live with for the rest of your life.
- Jonathan Kent: Clark, it's true. We are a flawed race, sure. But we're a flawed race that raised you. You're a lot more human than you think.
- Lana Lang: Lex has a way of bringing out a side of me that's both scary and liberating at the same time.
- Clark Kent: Well, you know the first rule of self defense is to avoid conflict.
- Lana Lang: Relax, Clark, I'm not about to go prowling the night fighting crime. I'll leave that to the expert.
- Clark Kent: Well, you can trust me, there's no future in fighting crime unless you enjoy being sued.
- Clark Kent: My article about the debate team. Oh, Chloe, I'm really sorry. I'll give it to you first thing tomorrow morning.
- Chloe Sullivan: Well, unfortunately Clark, I needed it tonight. To fill in the hole, I had to blow up the lunch menu to a 60-point type. I'm sure the student body is going to find that fascinating.
- Henry Small: I guess some small part of me is still getting used to all this.
- Lana Lang: What, dropping by for a casual visit with your daughter?
- Henry Small: No, entering a business co-owned by a Luthor without an injunction in my hand.
- Clark Kent: What are you doing out of jail?
- Eric Marsh: Seems I've got friends in higher places that I didn't even know about. And suddenly, you're not so anonymous.
- Clark Kent: I'll testify, if that's what it takes to put you away.
- Eric Marsh: Oh no, I'd think about that Kent. I mean, I know you're unbreakable, but people that you care about aren't. I'd sure hate to think something happened to those wholesome parents of yours.
- Clark Kent: Dad, look around. Look at what they did to this place. You said yourself I can't protect you. You have to think of Mom. You have to think about the baby.
- Jonathan Kent: I am thinking about Mom. I am thinking about the baby. I'm also thinking about you.
- Clark Kent: Dad, please! Please.
- Jonathan Kent: All right, I'll take your mother to a doctor in Metropolis, and maybe stay with your grandfather for a couple days. Son, I'd feel a whole hell of a lot better if you'd agree to come with us.
- Clark Kent: I can't.
- Jonathan Kent: Clark, I'm not going to stand here and ask you to do nothing because you and I both know that I would not do nothing. But I want you to remember something son. They have your strength, but they don't have any of your other abilities. You make sure you give yourself a fighting chance.
- Chloe Sullivan: I don't understand why the most powerful man in the city is interested in helping me.
- Lionel Luthor: We're after the same thing, Miss Sullivan... the truth. You know, journalists are the midwives of history. Perhaps, with my help, we could make history together.
- Clark Kent: If this is the mysterious Lana, I like it. What is this all about?
- Lana Lang: Us, kind of. I just wanted to thank you for yesterday. There were a few minutes there when I really thought I might be losing it. But, you never doubted me. Not for a second. You always believe in me. Thanks a lot.
- Clark Kent: Lana, what is this all about?
- Lana Lang: It's just that sometimes I feel like you've created this perfect picture of who I am.
- Clark Kent: That's what I see.
- Lana Lang: This might sound silly... but I have this fear that-- that one day you'll finally get a good look at me and... I'm going to disappoint you. That you'll see that I'm not as strong or as good as you think I am. And I'm afraid that it'll change the way you feel about me.
- Clark Kent: Nothing could ever do that.
- Lionel Luthor: I wanted to give you my gift in person, since it's obvious by now that I won't be receiving a wedding invitation.
- Lex Luthor: You offered the woman I love a hundred thousand dollars to leave me.
- Lionel Luthor: I did you a favor, Lex. That was the ultimate test of loyalty and she passed with flying colors. You should be thanking me.
- Lex Luthor: Well, my thank you note must be lost in the mail along with your invitation.
- Pete Ross: Clark, couldn't the bone yard visit have waited till after the rain stopped?
- Clark Kent: It's the only way to disprove the zombie theory.
- Pete Ross: Yeah. Well, if this Emily girl really is a ghost I really don't think she'd appreciate you scoping out her coffin.
- Lionel Luthor: I like to think that I treat everyone at LuthorCorp as part of the family.
- Lex Luthor: Well, that would explain the lack of loyalty.
- Lionel Luthor: All right, Lex, what's the crisis? One minute you want nothing to do with me and then I'm inundated with urgent messages.
- Lex Luthor: How does it feel to play God, Dad?
- Clark Kent: I've been looking through every book from Socrates to Shakespeare trying find some who could put into words the way Lex and Helen feel about each other. But what I realize is, there are no words for it, that when you have it, you trust it, and you believe in it, take a chance on it, you're willing to sacrifice anything to keep it, no matter what the cost.
- Lana Lang: If you knew that Lex was keeping secrets from you, but he was being truthful about the important things like, um, like the way he feels about you...would that be enough?
- Dr. Helen Bryce: I guess you have to decide. Is the part of themselves they're willing to share with you better than not having them in your life at all?
- Lana Lang: Okay. I know it's not your birthday for another seven minutes, but I wanted to surprise you.
- Clark Kent: You did.
- Lana Lang: I get the feeling it's not in a good way.
- Clark Kent: It's just it's not really my birthday. It's just some date that my parents picked off the calendar for the adoption papers.
- Lana Lang: Maybe some of us want to celebrate the day you came into our lives.
- Clark Kent: I never thought of it that way.
- Lionel Luthor: The wall, Doctor. What does it say?
- Dr. Frederick Walden: "The last son will rule the planet." Don't you see? It's Clark Kent!
- Lex Luthor: I think that's a pretty big leap.
- Dr. Frederick Walden: No! I've never seen more clearly in my life. I know exactly what has to be done.
- Lionel Luthor: What is that, Doctor?
- Dr. Frederick Walden: We have to kill Clark Kent, before he destroys us all.
- Clark Kent: I'm going to rule the world? He's obviously nuts.
- Lex Luthor: Of course he is. Unfortunately my father was there. He heard the whole thing.
- Clark Kent: But he didn't believe him, did he?
- Lex Luthor: He quoted one of his favorite Elizabethan poets. "'Twixt truth and madness lies but a sliver of a stream." He's not just gonna let this drop. I thought I'd warn you.
- Jor-El: I am Jor-El, your father.
- Clark Kent: I thought you died!
- Jor-El: I am his memory, his will. I am to fulfill his promise and guide you all the days of your life. You are the last son of Krypton. When you traveled through the cosmos, you carried the hopes and dreams of your people. They now live through you, Kal-El. It is time.
- Clark Kent: Time for what?
- Jor-El: Time to accept your destiny.
- Clark Kent: I don't know what you have in mind for me, but I--
- Jor-El: By the setting of the sun Sol, you will return to me. Your destiny will be fulfilled. Your thoughts are not a mystery to me, Kal-El. These people have served their purpose. It is time to leave them.
- Clark Kent: Please! Everything and everyone I love is here! In Smallville!
- Jor-El: You must let go of your past. I will guide you to your future.
- Clark Kent: No, I don't want your guidance! I want to create my own future!
- Jor-El: You have no choice, Kal-El.
- Martha Kent: Whatever your biological father may have had in mind for you, they're his hopes and dreams, not yours.
- Jonathan Kent: Clark, you choose your own destiny. Nobody can decide that for you, son.
- Clark Kent: This is my home. And you're my parents. It's where I belong, and I'm not going anywhere
- Jor-El: You will obey me, Kal-El.
- Clark Kent: You're not my father. I won't let you control me.
- Jor-El: You cannot fight it, Kal-El. At the zenith of the star Sol, you will begin your journey. If you do not, you will hurt the ones you love most.
- Chloe Sullivan: You were right about Clark. He wasn't who I thought he was. I'm surprised I hadn't noticed earlier. So much for my crack journalistic instinct.
- Lionel Luthor: No, no, love has a way of blinding even the sharpest minds. We don't look because we don't want to see. But once love has been stripped away, then we see the real person clearly. They're revealed to us with all their flaws, their foibles, and their secrets.
- Clark Kent: Come with me.
- Lana Lang: Smallville's my home. It's your home too.
- Clark Kent: Not anymore.
- Morgan Edge: You've made quite a reputation for yourself. I set up this test so I could see with my own eyes if you were man or myth. And clearly, you're both.
- Kal: Well, I'm glad I could clear it up for you... Mr. Edge.
- Morgan Edge: I'd like to talk about a job opportunity.
- Kal: Thanks. But I'm really not looking for work right now. I like to fly solo.
- Morgan Edge: No matter how many bullets bounce off you, Kal, you're still a kid, and I'm the biggest crime boss in Metropolis.
- Kal: Well, I would think you could afford better help.
- Morgan Edge: That's why we're talking. I got this one job. It'll make you Midas rich. So when you are tired of playing the little league, you know where to find me.
- Lex Luthor: You killed your father.
- Louis Leery: Yeah, it was inevitable. I had to do it. Only one of us could survive. See, back there, he was a rich and powerful guy. He was always criticizing me, never thinking I was good enough. And it just kept chipping away, chipping away till there was nothing left... I thought you and I were kindred spirits.
- Lex Luthor: No, Louis. You're a psychopath.
- Louis Leery: Well, there's one in all of us. I just let mine out.
- Jonathan Kent: Clark, it's me.
- Kal: Jonathan. How's the farm?
- Jonathan Kent: Clark, your mother and I love you very much and we want you to come home.
- Kal: Is that right? Hey, what about not dwelling on the past and making a fresh new start? Come on, you can admit it. You're happier I'm gone.
- Jonathan Kent: Son, that's not true.
- Kal: I'm not your son! And you're not my parents, you never have been! You never will be!
- Lana Lang: Clark, what is the matter with you? Your parents love you! I love you.
- Kal: Do you always betray the people you love?
- Morgan Edge: I need you to break into a secure building. The office on the 60th floor has a very valuable package. It's in a titanium-reinforced steel safe. Not a job for mere mortals.
- Kal: Sounds like easy money.
- Morgan Edge: I haven't told you where you're going yet.
- Kal: [reads a card] LuthorCorp Plaza. You want me to break into Lionel Luthor's office?
- Morgan Edge: Will that be a problem?
- Kal: No. It'll be my pleasure.
- Jonathan Kent: Hello, Clark.
- Kal: Jonathan Kent. Isn't it a little past your bedtime? How'd you find me?
- Jonathan Kent: Your biological father.
- Kal: You two are working together now, huh? That's cute. But I didn't listen to him and I'm certainly not gonna listen to you.
- Jonathan Kent: You don't realize how dangerous you are when you're wearing that ring!
- Clark Kent: It's not the ring. I was born that way. You just can't accept it.
- [Jonathan sees the Kryptonian symbol burned on Clarks chest]
- Jonathan Kent: What in the hell did Jor-El do to you, Clark?
- Clark Kent: He made sure I'd never forget who my real father is.
- Lana Lang: You warned me there were things about you that I wouldn't understand. I guess I just didn't want to believe it.
- Clark Kent: I was protecting you.
- Lana Lang: From what? That's the part I can't figure out because, Clark, the only thing that keeps hurting me is you.
- Lex Luthor: It's ironic. In the most remote solitude I still managed to find an enemy. I suppose I was just hallucinating from malaria, but the enemy I found was real. I got a good look at myself, or at least the part I've always tried to ignore.
- Clark Kent: Lex, I guess we all got to take a look at our dark side sooner or later.
- Lex Luthor: The problem is if you stare at it long enough, it can get hard to tell the two sides apart.
- Lana Lang: How could you let everyone worry like that?
- Chloe Sullivan: Because the more pressure I put on him, the more he pulled away. I mean, you saw him, Lana. He wasn't exactly the charming flannel king we all know and love. It was like he was a...
- Lana Lang: A different person.
- Chloe Sullivan: Yeah. Let's face it, Lana. Clark has more issues than "Rolling Stone."
- Jonathan Kent: We can't accept this.
- Lex Luthor: There's nothing to accept but my gratitude. After the plane went down, I made my way into one of the broken wings. This compass, your wedding present, guided me to safe harbor. The least I can do is help you keep your farm.
- Jonathan Kent: We will find a way to pay you back.
- Lex Luthor: I'm not worried about that, Mr. Kent. If it's not too presumptuous, I hope you'll just consider me part of the family.
- Clark Kent: Look, I know this is gonna sound bizarre, but this kid Van, he's convinced that the meteor rocks in Smallville have altered certain people.
- Lex Luthor: What do you mean by altered?
- Clark Kent: He thinks they've developed different abilities than the rest of us, and he's hunting them. Lex, he had a hit list. They found it in his cabin, and you're on it.
- Lex Luthor: Clark, the only abilities I have are playing the market and falling for the wrong women.
- Lex Luthor: I wouldn't worry about it, Dad. I'm insured now.
- Lionel Luthor: Not yet. There's some difficulty getting you underwritten by Lloyd's of London.
- Lex Luthor: On what grounds?
- Lionel Luthor: Your tendency to attract near-death experiences has made you too great a liability.
- Lex Luthor: I would think surviving would count for something.
- Lana Lang: Clark, I really thought I was going to die.
- Clark Kent: You've been through worse.
- Lana Lang: Because you've been there to protect me, but I knew you weren't coming this time, so when Van showed up I guess I was just relieved that there were others like you out there.
- Clark Kent: He's not like me. You have to see him for what he is. He's a killer. Lana, it's okay to be mad at people who try to hurt you, but it's not fair to take it out on everyone who's been affected by the meteors. It's not their fault. No one asks to be different.
- Lana Lang: Life would just be so much better for everybody if the meteor shower never happened.
- Lex Luthor: How many times have I come face to face with death and walked away without a scratch? I've practically lost count.
- Clark Kent: Weirder things have happened.
- Lex Luthor: All this time I thought the reason I survived that Porsche accident was because of you, Clark. Now I'm not so sure. See, I've always tried to explain everything by looking outside myself. But maybe the truth lies inside my own physiology. Maybe I am a freak.
- Lana Lang: What I don't understand is you're willing to walk into bullets for me, but you won't share what's going on inside. Clark, if you don't open up to the people that love you, you'll always be alone. I can't believe you want to spend your life like that.
- Clark Kent: I may not have a choice.
- Lana Lang: You always have a choice.
- Clark Kent: Pete, did you see that guy?
- Pete Ross: What guy?
- Clark Kent: How could you miss him? He had a big red cape on!
- Chloe Sullivan: There is a theory that telepathic receptivity is increased during REM sleep. It has to do with frontal lobe activity... I've never seen a case this dramatic, but we all know that your brain is wired a little differently than the rest of ours. Add that the river where she crashed is a known source for our favorite green stuff and you have the perfect Smallville cocktail for weirdness.
- Lex Luthor: Interesting theory, Clark.
- Clark Kent: I know it sounds crazy, but that's what happened.
- Lex Luthor: Now you're saving people in your dreams, too. I bet a shrink would have a field day with that scenario.
- Lex Luthor: Legend has it this sword was forged in the fires of Mount Fuji. The blade can cut through anything. The Katai never took it into battle. They never had to, till the day the strongest Katai turned on his own. One by one, the Katai fell at his hand. Nothing left to lose, the last of the Katai lunged at the warrior with this sword. The blade cut him clean in two. But when the warrior's armor fell away, the Katai saw he wasn't even human. [Lex strikes Clark with the sword, shattering it] Just like you, Clark. See, I've always been honest with you. But it turns out you've been lying to me from the first day I laid eyes on you.
- Clark Kent: No, Lex, I can explain!
- Lex Luthor: It's too late! The irony is all you had to do was come to me, Clark. I was your friend. I would've protected your secret. I would've protected you. But I couldn't be trusted because I'm a Luthor.
- Clark Kent: No, that's not it!
- Lex Luthor: I don't care! I'm going to dedicate myself to ensuring the whole world knows who Clark Kent really is. Life as you know it is over.
- Lana Lang: Well, it's been like an oven outside, so I was thinking we could go swimming at Crater Lake.
- Clark Kent: Yeah... I really don't think skinny-dipping is a good idea.
- Lana Lang: Who said anything about skinny-dipping? Maybe in your dreams, Clark.
- Clark Kent: According to NASA the sun took a direct hit from a comet today, causing one of the biggest solar flares ever to be recorded.
- Martha: Oh, you sound intrigued.
- Clark Kent: Actually it's a relief to be researching a cosmic disaster that has nothing to do with me.
- Perry White: I finally found my story.
- Clark Kent: For some insane reason, it's me. Chloe told me. I don't think it's funny.
- Perry White: Oh, it's not a joke, Clark. I got the facts to back it up.
- Clark Kent: What kind of facts are those?
- Perry White: The accident, the power lines, your magical appearance as your family tractor drops out of the sky.
- Clark Kent: I explained that.
- Perry White: "It fell off a truck." That's not an explanation, that's a punch line. I spent the morning combing through police records and newspaper stories. You're Johnny on the Spot, Clark. You're Smallville's own hero on deck.
- Clark Kent: Trust me, Mr. White, there's nothing special about me.
- Perry White: Oh, that's where you're wrong, kid. So far I got you pegged as really strong and shock-resistant. The question is, what other tricks have you got up your sleeve?
- Clark Kent: Mr. White, don't do this.
- Perry White: See, the way I figure it, you're strong, you're shockproof, you're incredibly fast. Plus you're cursed with this hero complex.
- Clark Kent: Yeah, why don't you come back down on the deck and we'll talk about that.
- Perry White: No. Not till I have my story.
- Clark Kent: Wait, Mr. White? Look, you're wrong about me.
- Perry White: I'm betting you'll save me, Clark.
- Perry White: Thanks again for the ride.
- Clark Kent: It's the only way I could be sure you'd get on the bus.
- Perry White: You really are kind of a freak, you know that?
- Clark Kent: Mr. White...
- Perry White: I'm serious. You try to help people, even fools like me, and you never ask for anything in return. When I saw your face up there after it was all over, I suddenly realized I was about to tear down a good person. I just couldn't believe there was actually anyone like you out there.
- Clark Kent: Trust me, Mr. White, I'm not that good.
- Clark Kent: Something tells me the world hasn't seen the last of Perry White.
- Perry White: Something tells me you're right. Rumor has it I still have a friend or two on the Daily Planet. Oh, by the way, I went over a couple more of your Torch stories.
- Clark Kent: And?
- Perry White: Well, they're rough, and half the time you buried the lead, but I see a glimmer of hope. If you ever make it to Metropolis, look me up. I owe you one.
- Lana Lang: Why would he lie to me? It's not like he's gonna get the last 40 years of his life back.
- Clark Kent: Lana, convicted murderers spend half their day trying to convince people they're innocent.
- Lana Lang: Clark, that drawing looks exactly like you. So unless Dexter could've predicted the future, there's a pretty good chance that drifter was real. It could've been your grandfather. Even your father.
- Clark Kent: That's impossible.
- Lana Lang: Why? You must've come from somewhere. It's not like you just fell out of the sky.
- Clark Kent: Since when can you take police records out of City Hall?
- Chloe Sullivan: Since I caught the clerk and his girlfriend playing cops and robbers while on the job.
- Lex Luthor: So you took the liberty of rewriting our family history?
- Lionel Luthor: That's right. Why should I have to pay for the sins of my father?
- Lex Luthor: Sounds familiar.
- Jor-El: (about Krypton) When I said I wasn't from here, I wasn't talking about Smallville. Where I'm from we have colors that you've never seen. Our moons are so close they fill up half the sky. We have sunsets that last for hours.
- Clark Kent: I think Jor-El was sent here as some kind of rite of passage. Grandpa Kent was down here too. He told Joe that if there was anything he needed...
- Jonathan Kent: What is it, Clark?
- Clark Kent: I don't think you and Mom found me by accident... I think you were chosen.
- Chloe Sullivan: The American version of closure. You can only get over your grief when you figure out how to merchandise your tragedy.
- Jonathan Kent: Oh, something must be wrong if he stuck his head in the refrigerator and didn't eat the last piece of cherry pie.
- Clark Kent: It's nothing. It's just Lana. Seth Nelson asked her out.
- Martha Kent: What did she say?
- Clark Kent: She said yes so fast it gave me whiplash.
- Jonathan Kent: Look, Clark, jealousy is a tough emotion.
- Clark Kent: Dad, I'm not jealous!
- Jonathan Kent: Ah...
- Clark Kent: Well, maybe a little bit.
- Chloe Sullivan: Finally. I didn't think you were gonna show. Not that Clark Kent ever operates on the same speed as the rest of the world.
- Chloe Sullivan: You're a Luthor, so it's a given that you're unscrupulous, but I really thought that petty larceny was beneath you, Lex.
- Lex Luthor: Can you be a little more specific with the charge?
- Chloe Sullivan: I caught some creep in my office trying steal one of my computers. I figured either you or your father hired him.
- Lex Luthor: But you're accusing me.
- Chloe Sullivan: You're what they euphemistically call the lesser of two evils.
- Lex Luthor: I admire your take-charge attitude. Barging in here and accusing me took guts... or sheer stupidity.
- Chloe Sullivan: How did he die?
- Lex Luthor: Natural causes. Apparently his heart just gave out.
- Chloe Sullivan: And you believe that?
- Lex Luthor: Given what he was looking into, I doubt there was anything natural about his death.
- Chloe Sullivan: How do I know you're not just playing me here?
- Lex Luthor: [sarcastic] You're right, Chloe. I could be. I often bring high school girls to the morgue to show them what happens when trained professionals cross my father.
- Chloe Sullivan: Well, there's nothing in my files worth killing for.
- Lex Luthor: We've got a corpse here that says you're wrong.
- Lionel Luthor: How did you get in here, Lex?
- Lex Luthor: Well, when people think you're insane and you're holding a rifle to their head, they, uh, tend to do what you ask.
- Lex Luthor: You know what disappoints me, Dad?
- Lionel Luthor: All right, tell me.
- Lex Luthor: You hired pros to kill me. You always taught me, "If you want something done right, son, do it yourself!"
- Morgan Edge: If we'd done it my way, you'd be dead by now.
- Lex Luthor: What are you talking about?
- Morgan Edge: You really believe you could have escaped if I wanted to kill you? It was your father's idea to make you look crazy instead.
- Lex Luthor: You're lying!
- Morgan Edge: It's true, Lex. Lionel's gone soft in his old age. He was willing to lose his parents, but he said he couldn't bear to lose another child.
- Clark Kent: Thank you.
- Lex Luthor: Don't thank me, Clark. You're part of this. I have to kill you too.
- Lionel Luthor: You know, I was never quite sure which of them was more out of touch with reality — Don Quixote, jousting with imaginary enemies, or his loyal lackey Sancho Panza, indulging his master's fantasies in spite of the danger to everyone else.
- Adam Knight: I think you're getting off way too easily.
- Lana Lang: Excuse me?
- Adam Knight: You have to learn to push through the pain. If we all sat down every time it hurt, this country never would've been built.
- Lana Lang: Well, I doubt the founding fathers broke their legs in four places.
- Adam Knight: What happened, bad pileup at cheerleading practice?
- Lionel Luthor: When your attempt to escape failed, you sabotaged my efforts to have you released, to be cared for at home.
- Lex Luthor: But I told you. I'm cured. A cured patient doesn't belong in a hospital.
- Lionel Luthor: Oh, it's painful to see you like this. You know I have your best interest at heart, don't you?
- Lex Luthor: The only interest you have... is staying out of prison. I'm not insane, and you know it.
- Lionel Luthor: It's sad to see a man who's lost his mind. But it's tragic when he's convinced himself that he's sane.
- Clark Kent: How is Lana?
- Chloe Sullivan: It's been really tough. She could use some moral support.
- Clark Kent: I sent her a card.
- Chloe Sullivan: Nothing says "I love you" more than a $1.50 piece of cardboard.
- Pete Ross: Clark, he knows your secret.
- Clark Kent: I can't let him turn Lex into a vegetable just for that.
- Pete Ross: You can't trust him.
- Clark Kent: And you've never given him a chance.
- Pete Ross: And you give him too many. You think it's easy keeping a lid on your secret? I've got to think about it every time we're around other people to make sure I don't slip. I've got to remember to say "meteor rock" instead of "kryptonite." And I always got to cover your unexplained exits.
- Clark Kent: Pete, I'm sorry. You've never said anything.
- Pete Ross: Clark, that's not the point. The point is that I got your back. But Lex won't.
- Eric Summers: Welcome back to being normal, Clark. Kind of sucks, doesn't it?
- Lana Lang: One thing I learned from my accident is that you can't go through something like this alone.
- Clark Kent: Lana, just because I'm blind doesn't mean the issues between us have disappeared. This doesn't change anything.
- Lana Lang: I was just offering a helping hand, Clark. But I won't make that mistake again.
- Pete Ross: Whoever said absence makes the heart grow fonder obviously hasn't met the two of you.
- Chloe Sullivan: Mr. Luthor, what's this about?
- Lionel Luthor: We had what I assumed was a private conversation, but imagine my surprise to have Lex throw my very own words right back in my face. You led me to believe, Miss Sullivan, that, uh, you were no longer in communication with Lex.
- Chloe Sullivan: Well, I'm not. But thank you for the wildly offensive insinuation. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm on a deadline.
- Lionel Luthor: Not anymore. Your column at the Daily Planet's been cancelled.
- Chloe Sullivan: What?
- Lionel Luthor: All right, all right. Here's the deal. You tell me everything you fed to Lex, I'll let things stand.
- Chloe Sullivan: I told you I'm not Lex's source. And while I'm sure you could kill my column, this is not the only piece I'm working on for the Daily Planet. I know I could interest them in a story about an eccentric billionaire with an obsessive interest in a Kansas farm boy.
- Lionel Luthor: You threatening me? I'd be careful, Miss Sullivan. Very careful.
- Chloe Sullivan: I'll be whatever I want. Apparently, I don't work for you anymore.
- Chloe Sullivan: Believe it or not, Clark, I was trying to help you.
- Clark Kent: Oh, by spying on me.
- Chloe Sullivan: No, by just trying to understand why he's so intrigued with you.
- Clark Kent: And if the Torch got a few new computers and you made a name for yourself at the Daily Planet, that was okay too. For all the times you accused me of keeping secrets, how could you do this to me?!
- Chloe Sullivan: He just... he caught me at an especially bad time. And I caved. I've been trying to get out of it ever since, but when people like Lionel Luthor have you, they don't want to let go. You know, I thought that you out of all people would understand making a stupid decision in a moment of weakness. But I guess I was wrong.
- Pete Ross: Clark. Your parents are ready to start gluing your picture to milk cartons. How'd you get out here, anyhow?
- Clark Kent: I walked. Turns out I do know every inch of this farm. I really didn't mean to scare them, but I couldn't take all the noise.
- Pete Ross: So your mega-hearing thing's back.
- Clark Kent: Suddenly I'm the ultimate eavesdropper.
- Pete Ross: You know, what can I say? Chicks dig a hero.
- Clark Kent: Uh-huh.
- Pete Ross: Hope you don't mind I'm bending the truth a little bit.
- Clark Kent: Pete, look who you're talking to. The master truth-bender.
- Clark Kent: You're not the same person you used to be.
- Chloe Sullivan: Kind of like if I moved to Metropolis and became a motorcycle-riding party animal and told you to get out of my life. Kind of like that, right?
- Chloe Sullivan: Well, I obviously didn't know what I was getting myself into. Just seems to be a nasty habit that I've picked up lately.
- Lex Luthor: I'm starting to get a complex. It seems all the women I find even remotely appealing turn out to be psychopaths.
- Molly Griggs: Birds of a feather.
- Molly Griggs: You don't understand. You don't know what it's like to be so different, to see things other kids can't see, to feel and to think about things they can't even imagine.
- Clark Kent: Molly, Garner's not helping you.
- Molly Griggs: He made me feel normal, and I never thought that could happen. Now, if someone gave you that chance, wouldn't you protect them, too?
- Lana Lang: Freaky Ninja Girls and all!
- Lana Lang: What do you think?
- Adam Knight: I think Norman Bates would be right at home here.
- Jordan Cross: I had a vision of you too when you grabbed me in the hallway.
- Clark Kent: What do you mean? What'd you see?
- Jordan Cross: Like you don't have an end like other people. It's like you live forever.
- Lana Lang: Jordan, I brought your homework.
- Clark Kent: [to Jordan] Why do I get the feeling you've replaced me as your mentor?
- Lana Lang: I've offered to help Jordan get back on his feet, and he is going to help me become faster on mine.
- Clark Kent: I think you're getting the hang of this high school thing.
- Martha Kent: You're awfully quiet today.
- Clark Kent: Having someone tell you you can change destiny is a lot to handle.
- Martha Kent: Clark, what's this really about?
- Clark Kent: I'm just wondering if that's why I was really sent here. To change destiny. What if I make a wrong choice and I'm not there to make it right?
- Martha Kent: It's a huge responsibility. You have to concentrate on the good that you do. Think of all the people you've saved. Your dad and me and Lex. He's turned out to be a really good friend. Sweetheart, you just have to do the best you can. You can't save everybody.
- Lex Luthor: They say music hath charms to sooth the savage breast.
- Adam Knight: Don't count on it.
- Pete Ross: I'm okay at hoops. I'm a decent photographer. But you saw that crowd last night. You heard them chanting my name. And for once in my life, I finally get to feel what you feel like every single day. I get to feel special.
- Clark Kent: Pete, I'm not special. I'm different.
- Pete Ross: Clark, who do you think you're kidding? You can do things that I could never even dream of. And ever since we were kids, even before I knew your secret, I've always been walking in your shadow.
- Clark Kent: Pete, that's not true.
- Pete Ross: Clark, don't get me wrong. It's not a bad place to be. But I'm growing up. I'm realizing that I got my own talents.
- Clark Kent: Everything's taken care of. What you need to concentrate on is feeling better and your checkers strategy, not necessarily in that order.
- Jonathan Kent: Clark, you've been here every night. Why don't you go out with your friends, have some fun.
- Clark Kent: Why would I go out with my friends when I can beat my dad at checkers?
- Sheriff Nancy Adams: Good work, Mr. Kent. It only took eight deputies and four cruisers to discover that that barn was as clean as my grandma's pantry.
- Clark Kent: That couldn't be. I saw those license plates.
- Sheriff Nancy Adams: The only plates in that barn were the ones in the kitchen sink. And none of the cars in there had VIN numbers even remotely similar to the ones you gave me.
- Clark Kent: Sheriff, that's impossible.
- Sheriff Nancy Adams: As usual, Mr. Kent, your information is about as accurate as the local weatherman. But I'm cutting you some slack this time because I've had my eye on Jason Dante for a while now, and he is one slippery fish. Next time you say there's a storm a-brewing, Mr. Kent, I better see some rain.
- Clark Kent: Lex, you've done so much already, but I need a big favor.
- Lex Luthor: Name it.
- Clark Kent: I need $20,000 dollars, cash.
- Lex Luthor: You're right. That is big. You mind telling me what it's for?
- Clark Kent: My friend got mixed up with the wrong crowd, and now they're making him pay for it.
- Lex Luthor: Is this the old proverbial friend who happens to be you?
- Jonathan Kent: In the world, things aren't always black and white. Sometimes you gotta wander out into the gray areas and do what you think is best.
- Lionel Luthor: [to a class] Now, you're all here to learn something about business. The most important element in anything to do with economic theory is the individual. Yes, you. Traditional rules, supply and demand--they're secondary. But to rise above those rules, to know when to break them, requires absolute personal commitment. I consider it a prerequisite for success.
- Chloe Sullivan: [to Clark, quietly] And I consider it despicable, immoral, and possibly illegal.
- Chloe Sullivan: What do you say we make a break for the fire escape?
- Clark Kent: I could crawl down all 39 stories if this fieldtrip didn't count toward our final grade.
- Chloe Sullivan: Welcome to the Lionel Luthor exhibit. Next floor: Victims, sycophants, and hatchet men.
- Clark Kent: She's gone.
- Jonathan Kent: What did she do, Clark, climb out the window?
- Clark Kent: Actually, she teleported.
- Jonathan Kent: You're gonna have to run that by me one more time.
- Clark Kent: I just think that maybe we need to set some boundaries. You know, maybe some limitations.
- Alicia Baker: We're special, Clark. People like us don't need boundaries and limitations.
- Lex Luthor: You go on one date with this girl, and already she's sneaking into your bedroom, putting sexy pictures of herself in your locker, and practically asking your parents to book the wedding chapel. What's your secret, Clark?
- Clark Kent: You know, I always thought of my dad as a man of steel. I guess I was wrong.
- Lex Luthor: My father's been strangely stubborn about liquidating that property. Every market indicator says to sell, but he insists the neighborhood's about to be revitalized.
- Chloe Sullivan: The only thing being revitalized in that neighborhood is the graffiti.
- Lex Luthor: Chloe, I think I should take it from here.
- Chloe Sullivan: Lex, I'm perfectly capable--
- Lex Sullivan: This has nothing to do with your capability. I'm worried about your safety. When my father's involved with covert research, people tend to get hurt.
- Clark Kent: Dad, when that serum got close to the kryptonite bomb, it reacted the same way as my blood.
- Martha Kent: So you're saying the serum...
- Clark Kent: I know. It sounds crazy, but I think that Lionel Luthor has found a way to use my blood to bring people back to life. If my blood can save lives, maybe I should come forward. What if there's something inside me that can repair dad's heart permanently?
- Jonathan Kent: Clark, your mother and I both know that you are gonna save a lot of lives in this world, even more than you have any idea.
- Clark Kent: The only life I'm interested in saving is yours.
- Jonathan Kent: You do. You save my life every day that you're with us. And we wouldn't trade that for a single moment without you.
- Lana Lang: I should've said something about Adam sooner. I feel so guilty.
- Clark Kent: None of this was your fault.
- Lana Lang: Still, I let him threaten me into silence.
- Clark Kent: Because you knew it would put people in danger. I understand keeping secrets for that reason.
- Clark Kent: Pete, I think it's great that you spend so much time volunteering here.
- Pete Ross: Well, someone's always been there for me when I've been in trouble. Seems like a good way to give something back.
- Pretty Girl: [flirty] Hi, Pete.
- Clark Kent: And to hone your sensitive guy skills.
- Clark Kent: We think it's some sort of a prank, Sheriff.
- Sheriff Nancy Adams: You know, usually these situations originate a little closer to home than you'd expect. Any reason you might want to goose these boys with a little crank call, Miss Lang?
- Clark Kent: Lana didn't have anything to do with this.
- Sheriff Nancy Adams: You know, unless Miss Lang has grown several inches and developed an affinity for plaid, this would be a good time for you to pipe down.
- Chloe Sullivan: Clark, how did you hear that?
- Clark Kent: I guess I missed too many Linkin Park concerts.
- Lex Luthor: Tell the cops to drop the charges and give me immunity, and I'll give you the biggest arrest of your career.
- FBI Agent Frank Loder: What are we talking about?
- Lex Luthor: I'll help you bring down my father.
- Lana Lang: Clark, there's still something I don't understand. How did you get from the hotline to the storage unit in a split second?
- Clark Kent: It took me more than a few seconds... maybe it had something to do with the weird time anomaly. You know, there's something that I don't understand either. Why did you call the hotline instead of the police?
- Lana Lang: Because I knew you'd be there.
- Lex Luthor: You know, Dad, they say mental illness is hereditary. I'm willing to accept my break with reality. Are you?
- Lionel Luthor: Oh, Lex, men of vision have so often been mocked. Galileo knew it was the earth that orbited the sun, and he was sentenced to death for that discovery.
- Lex Luthor: Where's the Inquisition when you need it?
- Jonathan Kent: How'd you know to find me out here?
- Clark Kent: When I'm searching for answers, I turn to my dad. I guess it runs in the family.
- Jonathan Kent: Your grandfather was the stubbornest man I ever knew. And believe me, Clark, I wasn't nearly the son you are. My mother used to say that he and I were like watching two sides of the same coin duking it out. And I see the way you and Jor-El fight and I wonder if maybe fathers and sons were the same on Krypton.
- Clark Kent: Except he's not my father. You are.
- Jonathan Kent: Yeah... I am your father who turns his back on you when you need him the most. I am your father who forces you to run away. My father never would've done that.
- Lex Luthor: Look, I'm afraid I'm a little jaded in the romance department. The only thing I know about relationships is that someone usually winds up getting hurt.
- Lana Lang: And you don't think I can trust Clark to not do that.
- Lex Luthor: I don't think it's about trust. It's like the German poet Rilke said, "A person isn't who they are during the last conversation you had with them. They're who they've been throughout your whole relationship."
- Dr. Virgil Swann: Fathers often want futures that their sons reject. That struggle is as old as the human race.
- Clark Kent: Except I'm not human.
- Dr. Virgil Swann: Humanity is not only about biology.
- Jonathan Kent: This is your last warning. Stay away from my son.
- Lionel Luthor: If you'd raised your son the way I raised mine, maybe you wouldn't have to protect him. You know, weakness isn't something you're born with. You learn it. And Clark learned his from you.
- Clark Kent: You broke into the LuthorCorp plant the other night, didn't you? Something happened?
- Chloe Sullivan: Wow. There may be some journalistic genes behind those baby blues after all.
- Clark Kent: Chloe, for some reason, people are telling you things they don't want you to know, and it's not a joke.
- Chloe Sullivan: No. But it is every reporter's dream.
- Chloe Sullivan: My God, Clark, this is amazing! Can you imagine the kinds of stories I could break? I mean, I could crack the mystery that is Clark Kent! [pause] What do you keep hiding from me?
- Clark Kent: I can't believe you just asked me that.
- Chloe Sullivan: And you didn't answer. Everyone else would have. What are you so afraid of? That I'll get behind that armor and finally uncover your secret?
- Chloe Sullivan: I do know that because of you, my dad can't get a job. So why would I help you?
- Lex Luthor: Because my father's the one who ordered his dismissal. You know that's the truth, don't you?
- Chloe Sullivan: Meaning that my family's future is just one chess move in the endless game of one-upmanship played by you and your dad.
- Lex Luthor: It's not a game, Chloe. You're the only one who can get me the truth.
- Chloe Sullivan: Why do you keep doing this to yourself? Why can't you just walk away from your father?
- Lex Luthor: Because he won't give me the only thing I've ever wanted from him.
- Chloe Sullivan: And that would be?
- Lex Luthor: I want him to love me.
- Lionel Luthor: I'm impressed but unfortunately, I don't respond to blackmail. But you know, this isn't what's going to get your father's job back.
- Chloe Sullivan: Then what would?
- Lionel Luthor: Information from an especially intransigent source.
- Chloe Sullivan: Does this source have a name?
- Lionel Luthor: Two, actually. Jonathan and Martha Kent. But you need only ask one question.
- Chloe Sullivan: Why would I ever do that?
- Lionel Luthor: Because I know that you have a special place in your heart for their son, and it's killing you that he's hiding something from you. And we both know that this may be the only opportunity you'll ever have to find out what that is.
- Chloe Sullivan: And what exactly is it that you want to know?
- Lionel Luthor: Where did Clark Kent come from?
- Chloe Sullivan: When you found me on the bridge, I was on my way here. I was gonna ask your parents all the questions you would never answer... look, I know "I'm sorry" has become a recurring motif in our relationship, but--
- Clark Kent: No, Chloe, look, I appreciate your honesty, but you weren't yourself.
- Chloe Sullivan: I really wish I could believe that. But there have been so many times when my curiosity has gotten the best of me. Maybe this is just who I am.
- Clark Kent: No. You're going after the truth. Chloe, there's nothing wrong with that.
- Chloe Sullivan: Unless it hurts the people you care most about. I'm just afraid that one day I'm gonna push too hard, and I'm not gonna get the chance to say I'm sorry.
- Clark Kent: Today's not that day.
- Martha: [Concerned] You've hardly said anything about what happened at Summerholt.
- Clark: [Distracted] Don't worry Mom, my secret is still safe.
- Martha: Well, let me know if you want to talk about it.
- [Martha goes to leave]
- Clark: Lara.
- [Martha stops, she looks back at Clark]
- Clark: That was my biological mother's real name. She was my earliest memory. She sounded so scared. Her only fear was that nobody would love me.
- Martha: I can't imagine the feeling of sending my baby in a lifeboat across the stars.
- Clark: Because of Jor-El, I always thought that my biological parents were monsters. But she wasn't.... I just can't believe I forgot about her.
- Martha: [Comforting] You didn't, Clark; your first word was "Lara". Your father and I could never figure out what it meant, but now we know.
- Clark: I wish she could have met you, to see what a great mom I have.
- Martha: She knows, Clark. A mother's love never dies.
- [They embrace]
- Lex: Lana told you about my nocturnal adventure, didn't she? I can see I spooked her. That usually sends her running to you.
- Clark: Are you okay?
- Lex: Well, I haven't lost my mind, Clark, if that's what you mean. I just indulged in a little harmless sleepwalking, that's all.
- Clark: Lex, you were on a ledge yelling Julian's name. You could've killed yourself.
- Lex: You know, when I found you asleep in the middle of Route 8 last year, I don't remember questioning your mental health.
- Clark: I hadn't just spent seven weeks at Belle Reve.
- Lex: According to my doctors I'm cured. But apparently, a clean bill of health isn't good enough for Clark Kent.
- Lex: Summerholt is a highly respected institution.
- Lionel: Respected? Lex, this Garner character operates on the outer fringes of accepted science.
- Lex: Well, then you should feel right at home.
- Lillian: I don't want to hold him.
- Lionel: Lillian, it's unnatural for a mother not to want to bond with her child. Please... I will not let you inflict psychological scars on my children.
- Lillian: That's why they have you, Lionel.
- Lex: I told you to let it go, but you kept pursuing it. You even involved my father.
- Clark: Yeah, well, believe me, Lex. He's the last person I'd ask for help, but I didn't have any other options.
- Lex: He betrayed you, Clark. He stopped my sessions with Garner by offering you up as a lab rat. I've tried to keep my father away from you, but he's obsessed. If I'd got back those seven weeks, I could've finally stopped him.
- Clark: Maybe, Lex. Or maybe you'd make it worse. You're always telling me how you don't want to turn into your father, and I truly believe that. But the more you two go at each other, the more like him you become. And the more people get hurt.
- Lex: I will never become my father. I would never sacrifice you or anybody I cared about to bring him down.
- Clark: Lex.... why does your father hate you so much?
- Pete: [on the phone] Why won't you listen to me? I told you I don't want to talk about it!
- Chloe: Note to self: Forward all telemarketing calls to Pete.
- Clark: Did you do this?
- Lex: What possible reason would I have to ransack the office of an obscure teaching assistant?
- Clark: Then tell me why you're here.
- Lex: You first.
- Clark: Jeremiah was gonna help me with a term paper.
- Lex: Term paper. So your visit doesn't have anything to do with the fact that he went ballistic in the caves last night and absconded with a sacred Kawatche artifact.
- Clark: I didn't know.
- Lex: I'm surprised. I mean, you usually keep such a close eye on everything that happens in the caves... for those term papers you're always writing.
- Clark: I know you want to believe it, but I'm not your savior. I mean, did you ever think that Jeremiah really is Naman? He has all the abilities foretold in the prophecy, and he's gonna try and kill Segeeth.
- Willowbrook: True. But he did not fall from the sky in a rain of fire. Jeremiah's desperate to be someone he's not. And you are desperate not be someone you are.
- Clark: Professor, I may be confused about who I am, but one thing I'm not is a killer.
- Willowbrook: You'd be surprised what you're capable of when the time comes.
- Clark: It also means the prophecy came true. The blade glowed and disintegrated when they touched it, which means either Lionel or Lex is my greatest enemy.
- Martha: Did you see which one grabbed it first?
- Clark: No. But I don't need a blade to tell me that Lionel Luthor is a bad person.
- Martha: If you're going to believe this legend, you have to face the possibility that it could be Lex.
- Clark: I'm not ready to do that.
- Jonathan: Clark, the Kawatche think that you're a savior. Jor-El wants you to be a conqueror. Now, knife or not, you can't let other people tell you what to be.
- Clark: Who do you think I'll become?
- Jonathan: I don't know. You can be the world's greatest hero or its most mild-mannered citizen, but the only person who can write your story, is you.
- Clark: You sound like Lex. He thinks I'm the reason Lana's leaving.
- Pete: Well, I hate to agree with Uncle Fester, but I don't think Lana's going to Paris just to see the Mona Lisa.
- Lana: Emily, you can't just force someone to be your friend. It's something that happens over time when you trust each other.
- Emily: I know what a friend is. A friend is someone who would stand up for you and protect you. A friend is someone who would jump in a river to save you from drowning, even if it meant they had to give up their own life for you. You don't need to tell me what it means to be a friend.
- Lana: Then you know that a friend would never keep me locked up in here.
- Emily: Get used to it. I did.
- Clark: What happened to you?
- Pete: FBI agent decided to go off payroll, wanted to know about you. Don't worry, I didn't tell him anything.
- Clark: I should have been there.
- Pete: That's just it. You can't always be there. I gotta look out for myself. I just thought you should know they're onto you.
- Clark: Thanks for the warning.
- Pete: Clark, the FBI isn't who I'm really warning you about. Lex was there. He's the one who pulled the Fed off me.
- Clark: He's investigating his father, not me.
- Pete: That doesn't matter. He knows. Now, I'm not exactly sure how much, but he's not gonna stop until he's got everything. Clark you've got to keep an eye on him. Look out for yourself.
- Pete: I'm moving to Wichita with my mom.
- Clark: No, Pete. I thought that... What about senior year? Pete, you can't do this because of me.
- Pete: I know that I told you keeping your secret wasn't hard. But I lied. I walk around every day afraid that I'm gonna slip up.
- Clark: Well, why didn't you tell me sooner?
- Pete: Because you needed a friend. And so did I.
- Clark: You don't have to move away. You don't have to change your whole life. There's got to be a way. No one even has to know we're friends.
- Pete: There's a lot of things that I can handle. But I could never live with myself if I betrayed you.
- Lionel: "Forgive them for they know not what they do." Is that what you expect from me? Forgiveness?
- Lex: Don't try to make me out as your own personal Judas. I didn't come here for forgiveness. I came here to congratulate you on sweeping another mishap under the rug. Emily Dinsmore.
- Lionel: Ah, yes, Emily Dinsmore. I should've remembered. You should've warned them. Belle Reve has a habit of misplacing its patients. The details. I've always tried to teach you, Lex. The devil is in the details. If you don't pay attention to the details, he'll win.
- Lex: Then it's a good thing I'm a fast learner. You went through all the trouble of having your own son committed to an asylum and shooting 600 volts of electricity through his body just to cover up your trespasses, but like I said, Dad, you've gotten careless.
- Lex: You knew all along my father murdered his parents, didn't you? And you never told me... I always assumed there was a tacit agreement among friends to share that kind of information with each other.
- Clark: Not when it can get your friend killed. Lex, your father threw you into a mental institution and fried your brain. If you found that out all over again, I thought he might kill you, and I couldn't live with that.
- Lex: You're a good friend, Clark. If you tell the judge what you just told me, my father will be exchanging his Armani for an orange jumpsuit.
- Kara: [to Jonathan] Tell Kal-El what you did.
- Clark: What kind of deal did you make, Dad?
- Jonathan: I promised Jor-El that if he gave me the power to bring you back from Metropolis, that one day I would return you to him.
- Martha: Jonathan, you didn't do that...
- Jonathan: Martha, I had no idea it was going to be this soon.
- Kara: I told you, Kal-El. They'll always betray you. Even the man you call your father.
- Martha: She killed a man, Jonathan. We have to call the sheriff.
- Jonathan: What are we gonna tell the sheriff, sweetheart, that a Kryptonian girl vaporized a federal agent?
- Kara: Come with me, Kal-El. Come home.
- Clark: This is my home.
- Kara: I know it seems that way. But sooner or later, everyone you know here will lie, betray, or leave you.
- Clark: No matter what you say, I'll never go with you.
- Lex: There's so much of my own life I can't explain. I've survived countless brushes with death, and it all started with this car crash. If I'm guilty of anything, it's that I've inherited my father's eccentric curiosity for the unexplained.
- Clark: You've inherited his dishonesty.
- Lex: Clark, look me in the eye and tell me you don't have any hidden places of your own where you keep your deep, dark secrets.
- Clark: Ever since I've met you, I've been defending you, making excuses for you to people like Pete, like my parents. Telling them, "You can trust Lex Luthor. He's a good guy. He's nothing like his father." I was wrong.
- Clark [as Kal-El]: I am fine.
- Lois: You've just been hit by lightning, you're stark naked, and you don't even remember your own name. You have a fairly loose definition of "fine."
- [Clark turns to face Lois.]
- Lois: [to herself] Look at his face... I have a blanket in the trunk.
- Lois: Guess I'm a sucker for stray dogs and naked men. [Martha stares] Okay, that didn't come out right...
- Lois: Look, I didn't come here fishing for thanks. I think Clark might know something about my cousin Chloe's death.
- Martha: I'm so sorry for your loss.
- Lois: Yeah. Were she and Clark ever an item?
- Martha: Oh, I think for a minute...
- Lois: It's funny, I never thought she'd fall for the farm boy type.
- Martha: Trust me, that can happen to the best of us.
- Lois: Not me. Give me a nerd with glasses any day of the week.
- Martha: Clark has many sides.
- Lois: Yeah, I've seen several of them already.
- Clark [as Kal-El]: I am Kal-El of Krypton. It's time to fulfill my destiny.
- Martha: Destiny?! That's Jor-El talking! He did this to you! I want my son back! Give me my son back!
- Clark [as Kal-El]: Clark Kent is dead.
- Bridget Crosby: Martha, I can help you if you'll let me. Now, where's your son?
- Martha: I don't know... He flew. He flew away.
- Bridget Crosby: So he's-- He has completely embraced his Kryptonian destiny.
- Martha: Do you know what that destiny is?
- Bridget Crosby: No, but the symbol burned into your field three months ago? That's the Kryptonian symbol for "Crusade."
[Bumps into Lana]
- Jason: Oh, sorry. Your American, right?
- Lana: Yes.
- Jason: Great. Can I ask you a big favour?
- Lana: Sure...as long as it doesn't get me arrested.
- Jason: No, I'm supposed to meet my, uh, my girlfriend here. Well, she's not really my girlfriend, even though we spend every waking moment together. See, we met two months ago today on this exact street corner, and I bought her something to mark the occasion. I wanted to get your opinion.
- Lana: All right.
- Jason: Okay.
[He takes a biking helmet out of his bag]
- Lana: Well, I think that would probably be the last thing she would be expecting.
- Jason: It doesn't really scream "romance" does it? But, see, the first time we met, I was driving by on my Vespa, and I clipped her. She thought I was gonna steal her purse so she kicked me off my bike. I messed up an old football injury and then she spent five hours with me at the hospital and we just clicked.
- Lana: Well, it sounds like love at first crash.
- Jason: Yeah. Well, for me it was anyway, but I'm just an impulsive kind of guy.
- Lana: Well, how does she feel?
- Jason: I don't know. She doesn't really talk about it. I think she, uh, I think she got hurt by somebody, but maybe she needs to talk about it.
- Lana: Well, uh, nothing says "I love you" like a motorcycle helmet.
- Jason: Yeah. It's for a weekend trip to Nice if she's... if she's interested.
- Lana: If a guy did something that romantic for me, I think I'd have to kiss him.
- Jason: Yeah?
- Lana: Yeah.
- Clark: None of this would've happened if I had been there.
- Lois: Okay, Commando, I don't get you. Half the time, you're all meek "Yes, Ma" and "Yes, Pa", and the other half, you are the most overconfident guy I've ever met.
- Clark: It doesn't happen to you much, does it? Not being able to peg someone right away?
- Lois: Oh, get over yourself. You are not that complicated.
- Clark: Um... we usually take turns in the bathroom.
- Lois: Oh, don't start with me, Smallville. You're the one taking the marathon shower. Besides, my delicate feminine sensibilities weren't offended the first time I got a glimpse of, uh, Clark Junior.
- Clark: My parents kind of missed the whole Woodstock phase. Besides, they freaked out the last time they caught me in a co-ed situation.
- Lois: Last time? So the eagle scout does have a few secrets in the closet.
- Lois: Wow, she didn't take any prisoners, did she? Lana? Cute, smart, gutsy... and way too much for you to handle. I can see why you're in love with her.
- Clark: Look, you're really not the person I want to talk to about this.
- Lois: Suit yourself.
- Clark: It's just... I knew she'd be dating other people.
- Lois: But?
- Clark: I just don't understand how you could feel like you know someone so completely, like you know everything about them, and then just all of a sudden...
- Lois: You don't even know what continent they're on.
- Clark: [frustrated] Do you always have to finish people's thoughts?
- Lois: [equally frustrated] Well, am I right?
- Lex: Does this mean you're talking to me again?
- Clark: Only because I don't have a choice.
- Lex: Relegated from friend to last resort. I guess I'll have to accept it if it's my only chance to prove myself.
- Clark: Good. 'Cause I want you to help me find Chloe.
- Lex: Look, I'd like to set things straight between us, Clark, but don't you think raising someone from the grave is setting the bar a little high?
- Jonathan: Clark, as much as I hate to admit this, Lex had a hand in this too. He did make good on his promise to protect Chloe.
- Clark: And look what he got out of it. Control of LuthorCorp. Look, I'm sorry, but it's gonna take a lot more than that for me to get to trust him again.
- Martha: Ever since he met you, he's been surrounded by things he can't explain. We can't really blame him for trying to find the truth.
- Clark: The truth is, he's been lying to me from day one. The legend on the cave wall says I'm destined to have an enemy. All this time, I've been worried about Lionel. But I'm beginning to think that the real threat was right in front of me. I think it's Lex.
- Lois: Nice arm, farm boy. When's the first game?
- Clark: I'm not on the team.
- Lois: Why not? An arm like that is a "Get out of geek free" pass.
- Clark: Well, even if I wanted to play--
- Lois: Which obviously you do.
- Clark: That wouldn't be the reason. Thanks, I don't really consider myself a geek.
- Lois: So, what do you see yourself as?
- Clark: I don't know. An outsider, I guess.
- Lois: That's a recipe for wedgies if I've ever heard one.
- Clark: [sarcastic] Have I told you how much I'm gonna miss you?
- Chloe: Five credits in one semester? Lois, the only way you're gonna do that is if you add an extracurricular to your class list. Like, say, maybe... writing for the Torch.
- Lois: Uh, no hard feelings here, cuz, but unlike you, the last thing I want to be is a reporter.
- Chloe: Yeah, God. What could be worse than, you know, uncovering the truth and protecting the public?
- Lois: And sticking your nose in other people's business.
- Chloe: Like I said. You'd be perfect.
- [Lois walks into the boy's locker room]
- Clark: Hey, hey! The last time I checked, you were missing a few prerequisites for being in here.
- Lois: So you have been checking me out.
- Lana: I keep thinking of all the times that you've told me that I'm beautiful, and I can't help but wonder how much of me you really see.
- Jason: Lana, I tell you you're beautiful because of who you are, not because of what I see. I mean, you're the girl I flew halfway across the world to be with. The girl who kicks the crap out of me at XBox and thinks it's hysterical. I mean, I have seen you with the stomach flu where your eyes were puffy and your nose was running, you're yakking--
- Lana: Okay, okay. I get the picture.
- Jason: All I'm saying is the reasons I love you... it's not something you can see in a mirror... That's good. I'm gonna write that down and use that later.
- Jonathan: I guess practice ran late, huh?
- Clark: Dad, I'm sorry I disappointed you. But I'm staying on the team. I'm tired of living my life on the sidelines.
- Jonathan: I realize that, Clark. I also realize that you're a senior in high school, and from now on, you're gonna be making a lot of your own decisions. But if you want to be seen as an adult in this family, then you have to start acting like one. Adults in this family don't run off and do things without discussing them first.
- Clark: I know. That's why I have just one question for you. You gonna let some assistant coach from Metropolis teach your boy how to play football?
- Jonathan: ...Go deep.
- Chloe: [about Clark] Wow, superhero and journalist - what are the odds?
- Lois: I'm glad you made the team, Clark, but why be a conformist? At least with the whole farm boy plaid thing, as lame as it is, it completely belongs to you.
- Clark: In the future, let's restrict our conversations to "hello" and "goodbye."
- Clark: Lex, if this friendship was so important, why'd you lie to me for so long?
- Lex: I don't know, Clark. There's a darkness in me that I can't always control. I'm starting to think that's my curse, why every relationship I have ends badly.
- Clark: We all have a dark side, Lex.
- Lex: Yeah. But I can feel mine creeping over the corners. Your friendship helps keep it at bay. It reminds me that there are truly good people in the world. I'm not willing to give up on that.
- Clark: What's that?
- Lex: The Porsche you pulled me out of the day we met.
- Clark: Why is it still here?
- Lex: To remind me of what I almost lost. It's over, Clark. It really is. Look, I'm willing to give this friendship another shot if you are.
- Clark: In the spirit of friendship, I was wondering if you could help me with a problem.
- Lex: Absolutely. What is it?
- Clark: Well, it's a who. Lois Lane.
- Lois: You know, if I could describe my time here in one word, it would be "weird." I look forward to the relative normalcy of the big city. But don't worry. I'll visit.
- Clark: Is that a promise or a threat?
- Bart (Flash): [to Clark] You know, I've always wondered if there was anyone out there like me, and it turns out to be you, Jimmy Crack Corn fresh from the farm.
- Bart: You know what, man? Enough about poor little street urchin, all right? Let's take a closer look at the mysterious Clark Kent... You like to study Native American mythology. You've scrawled the name "Lana" on your notebooks, and you have one of the most boring hobbies known to man. Rock collecting.
- Clark: I don't collect r--
- [Bart opens a lead box with Kryptonite in it]
- Bart: Dude, are you okay?
- Clark: Put that away. I'm allergic.
- Bart: Man, I've heard of people sneezing around cats and dogs and stuff, but never getting all weak in the knees over a rock.
- Clark: It's a long story.
- Bart: Which is one I'm sure I would love to hear... after we get back.
- Clark: Get back from where?
- Bart: Anywhere we want. I mean, dude, we are two super-powered studs here. Why else do you think I came to Smellyville looking for you, man? Let's go crank it up, go have some fun! You ever seen Florida?
- Clark: You haven't been listening to anything I've said to you. You can't go around stealing whatever you want.
- Bart: Why not?
- Clark: Because there are laws.
- Bart: For normal people. And, dude, why do you treat your abilities like a curse? They're not, man. They're a gift. I'm gonna use them.
- Clark: I'm not saying you shouldn't. Just use them to help people, not hurt them.
- Clark: I just came by to see if you were all right. I heard you had some trouble in Metropolis.
- Lex: News travels fast.
- Clark: Curse of a small town. So what happened?
- Lex: I decided to play cowboy and got my spurs handed to me. To be honest, I don't know why I'm not dead.
- Clark: There must be someone watching over you.
- Lex: In more ways than one.
- Clark: So, what are you gonna do now?
- Bart: I don't know. I mean, it's a big world. I figure I'd check it out, see if there's anyone else out there like us. Maybe start, like, a club or a league or something. You know, you could come with me.
- Clark: Or you could stay.
- Bart: You have a great life, Clark. But it's not mine. I have no reason to stay in Smallville.
- Clark: You have me.
- Bart: Thanks for being my friend.
- Clark: Are you sure there's nothing I can do to change your mind?
- Bart: Tell you what. If you can catch me... I'll think about it.
- Lex: Clark, you don't seem like your usual self. You barely said a word the entire ride home.
- Lionel [in Clark]: Sorry. Being in that prison... I guess it upset me.
- Lex: Yeah, well, it isn't exactly the happiest place on earth.
- Lionel [in Clark]: No, it isn't, Lex. Do you ever feel guilty? Sending your father to prison, I mean.
- Lex: Why would I? The man murdered his parents. I did society a favor.
- Lionel [in Clark]: And that blood relationship, it doesn't mean anything to you?
- Lex: Clark, since when did you become president of my father's fan club?
- Lionel [in Clark]: You're right. Of course. He's only your father. Why should you feel anything?
- Lionel [in Clark]: I have to confess that I... I find you absolutely fascinating. It's that twinkle in your eye... your wonderfully sexy smile... and your skin is...
- Chloe: Clark, what are you doing?
- Lionel [in Clark]: What I've wanted to do for a very... very long time. [leans to kiss her, then pulls away] Don't you wish.
- Lionel [in Clark]: What do you think? I wanted to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule, Mr. Luthor. I understand how time-consuming making license plates can be... You're not gonna touch me with that rock in your hand. You won't get near me, not with my... speed.
- Clark [in Lionel]: You're never gonna get away with this.
- Lionel [in Clark]: Oh, but I am. With my mind and your body, the sky's the limit, Clark.
- Clark [in Lionel]: I don't know what you're talking about.
- Lionel [in Clark]: You know, it's becoming clear to me why you're so secretive. You understand that true power... is better left concealed.
- Clark [in Lionel]: I know this is hard to believe, but I swear, it's the truth. [Pause.] It's me, Mom. It's Clark.
- Martha: You're sick, Lionel. You need help.
- Clark [in Lionel]: Mom, you have to believe me.
- Martha: I'm leaving!
- Clark [in Lionel]: Mom, Mom, no! Mom, remember when I was six and I was playing tag with Dad, and all of a sudden I started running faster than I'd ever run before, and I was in the middle of Palmer woods completely lost. And you and Dad had to call Sheriff Ethan, and when you saw me, you started crying. And I thought something was wrong with me, and you said no, there wasn't. And then you held me in your arms and you told me I was just special. I'm your special boy, you said.
- Lex: Stay where you are!
- Clark: Lex, it's me, Clark. I need to talk to you.
- Lex: After I drove my Porsche into the river and you fished me out, I asked your dad if there was any way I could repay him. What did he say that we always joke about?
- Clark: Lex, what is this, a pop quiz?
- Lex: Answer the question!
- Clark: He told you to drive slower.
- Lex: Welcome back.
- Clark: Dad, I know you don't agree with me. But sometimes taking responsibility means having faith in yourself to make the hard choices.
- Jonathan: And it also means being willing to accept the consequences.
- Clark: Every handshake, every hug, every time I'm out on that field, I make a conscious decision to fall when those guys hit me so they don't get hurt. No matter how hard you try, you can't understand that. That's why it's my decision, not yours.
- Jonathan: You're starting to sound more and more like your father.
- Clark: I hope so, Dad.
- Jason: His collarbone's broken in two places... I can't figure out how you could pummel a guy that outweighs you by 100 pounds and shatter his collarbone.
- Clark: I'm sorry. It must've been an accident. I mean, I got a surge of adrenaline.
- Jason: Adrenaline doesn't explain the fact that you went from chucking bales of hay to chucking 60-yard passes overnight.
- Clark: I guess I'm a fast learner.
- Chloe: It's all right, Clark. You can stay.
- Clark: I thought you had some self-imposed restraining order against me. Does this mean you're talking to me again?
- Chloe: No, this just means that I'm willing to take a chance on getting your Dr. Jekyll side today.
- Clark: I know Lana. She's never been this serious about anyone.
- Lex: You sound awfully concerned about that for someone who let her walk out of his life.
- Clark: Yeah, I guess the whole "If you love them set them free" thing kind of backfired.
- Lex: It's not about love, Clark. It's about what you're willing to do for it. On that field, you'll do whatever it takes to win, but if you're not willing to do the same for Lana, maybe she doesn't mean as much to you as you think.
- Clark: I sure hope you had better luck with the locusts than I did with Lex.
- Chloe: The last time I checked, they weren't selling biblical plagues on Amazon.
- Clark: Hey, Dad!
- Jonathan: Hey, Clark. Son, is there maybe a little something you'd like to tell your mother and me?
- [Jonathan holds up bra]
- Martha: Where did that come from?
- Jonathan: From out in the barn. In the hay.
- Martha: Clark...
- Clark: It was magic.
- Martha: I'm sure it was...
- Clark: Isabelle was... aggressively sexy.
- Lana: Oh great, possessed by an evil slut...
- Briana [in Lois]: I'm gorgeous! [touching her chest] Look at these!
- Isabelle [in Lana]: [uninterested] Yes. They're very nice.
- Isabelle [in Lana]: We don't have time for this.
- Madeleine [in Chloe]: Time is the only thing we do have. Isn't that what you said right before the angry mob set us on fire?
- Isabelle [in Lana]: You're really not gonna let that go, are you?
- Lex: You leave quite a path of destruction.
- Lana: Lex. I was going to come see you.
- Lex: Preemptive strike. Just in case there was any evil dead action still brewing.
- Lex: I didn't kill her.
- Corinne: I didn't ask. Lex, you're paying me to get you off, not to prove you're innocent. But you're gonna have to be straight with me. Were you drinking last night?
- Lex: Yes. At the fundraiser in the hotel. We had champagne.
- Corinne: Is it possible that you were drugged?
- Lex: Well, it wouldn't be the first time.
- Lionel: How's Lex? I've been trying to contact him since I heard, but he won't speak to me.
- Clark: He thinks you're trying to frame him. Are you?
- Lionel: No, Clark.
- Clark: Why should I believe you?
- Lionel: There's no reason you should. Listen to me. I was ill, Clark. The liver disease I had was a death sentence. And something happened. I can't explain it. I woke up on the floor. There was a riot. I felt as if a different kind of energy had been inside me. Something strong and... good. I was changed. And my liver had healed.
- Clark: What was it?
- Lionel: I don't know. All I can say was... it was miraculous. I could see the darkness, the destructive power that had always been inside me. I can see it in Lex now.
- Clark: I thought Lex's attorneys would have all this under lock and key.
- Chloe: Yeah, well, she may know people at the top, but I know people at the bottom, and they work for tips.
- Clark: How long is this gonna continue, Lex?
- Lex: I don't know. What do you want me to tell you?
- Clark: I don't want you to tell me anything. I want you to change.
- Lex: I don't know if I can.
- Clark: You know, it seems the only person you care about is yourself. There's a whole side of you that I don't know about, Lex. And what else don't I know about you?
- Lex: You don't know that every day, I wonder why I keep going. Why I do the things I do. You know, Shannon might have been crazy, but she was right about me. I treated those women terribly, Clark. People died, and I could've stopped it. I see that now.
- Clark: Well, that's a start.
- Lex: You know, there was a moment the other night when that fire she set was coming towards me. I thought, good. It would save the world a lot of grief. But somehow, the fire went out. And she was lying on the floor. And suddenly, I had a second chance.
- Clark: The last few days, Lex, I thought your father was being more honest with me than you were. And I hated that feeling. I felt like we were enemies.
- Lex: Don't give up on me yet.
- Stall: I hope I didn't separate you from your flock.
- Lionel: I understand your cynicism, Warden Stall, but I assure you I truly am a changed man.
- Stall: Oh. Or just a smart one. You know, ever since you proclaimed this sudden conversion to our resident St. Paul, there hasn't been a single attempt on your life.
- Lionel: I want only to be of help to others. What is the value of my sinful life unless I use it as an example to shepherd fellow sinners, to lead them away from the allure of hedonism, mistrust, and greed? To follow a better way?
- Lionel: I'm guilty. Not of the crime I've been imprisoned for, but... so many other crimes which should've landed me in here years ago. This is where I belong. It's where I can do the most good.
- Stall: You want to stay in prison?
- Lionel: Yes, I do. I've found my... my mission in life.
- Stall: Contrary to your deluded point of view, this is not the Ritz Carlton where you can check in and check out at your leisure. Somebody did you a favor by getting you out of this place. I'd say be grateful.
- Lionel: But who? Who could do that?
- Stall: Obviously someone more powerful than you.
- Martha: I hope our own fears haven't gotten in your way. I would hate for you to look back and regret not telling the people closest to you. I mean, there is a chance Lana would understand.
- Clark: There is. But what if she didn't?
- Jonathan: Clark, look, I'm not sure that it's Lana, but I am sure that someday there'll be someone you can tell.
- Clark: I've seen you worked up before, but this is more than amped, even for you.
- Chloe: I guess it's just displaced anxiety. I found my mom, Clark.
- Clark: Wow. That's... Chloe, that's great.
- Chloe: Yeah, I mean I put my feelers out for years, and something, three months ago, finally came through. So it turns out she's not exactly MIA, so to speak. She's in a mental institution.
- Clark: I'm sorry.
- Chloe: The real kicker is it's hereditary.
- Clark: Listen, hey. If there's one thing that I've learned it's that you're not destined to follow in your parents footsteps, all right?
- Chloe: So, popular question of the day. What is Clark Kent's worst nightmare?
- Clark: When I woke up. Everyone that I knew was gone. I was completely alone.
- Chloe: I wish I could say that I'll always be there for you, but somehow I get the feeling that may not be a promise I can keep. You were the only one who came out of it, Clark, and I don't think it's because you've been taking your vitamins... Look, you know what? You don't have to tell me. I know that I gave you my word that I was going to stop all this prying but... In these last few months, I really got a taste of what it was like to keep my mom's secret, and I've never felt more alone.
- Clark: It's weird when people think they're so close to you but have no idea what you're really going through.
- Chloe: Yeah. I'd hate to live my whole life like this. But after ‘fessing up, it's amazing how quickly that feeling of loneliness disappears. I mean, if you can't tell your best friend, who can you tell? Right, Clark?
- Minister: We are gathered here to join this happy couple in holy matrimony. Marriage, as you know, is a union that should not be entered into lightly.
- Clark: Yeah, yeah, skip to the good stuff, Pops.
- Minister: Oh, all right, do you, Clark Kent, take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?
- Clark: Hell, yes!
- Alicia: Good thing you've got buns of steel. You might be impervious to the cold, but I'm turning into a Popsicle.
- Clark: Well, I do have heat vision.
- Clark: You drugged me!
- Alicia: No, it's not-- I just didn't know what else to do because I couldn't stay, and I couldn't leave without you so I just thought you could listen to your heart instead of your head for once.
- Clark: Look, you don't even see what you did was wrong! What's the matter with you?
- Alicia: Clark, you could've hooked up with any girl you wanted and you chose me. Why do you think that is?
- Clark: You dosed me with red kryptonite! It makes me do things I don't want to do!
- Alicia: No, I don't think that rock forces you to do anything, Clark! Maybe it dampens your inhibitions, but Clark Kent got himself into this situation, okay? Clark Kent asked me to marry him. Clark Kent brought me up to this hotel room to make love to me.
- Clark: Well, maybe Clark Kent made a mistake.
- Alicia: I'm so sorry about what I did to you, Clark. I just didn't want to lose the one good thing in my life.
- Clark: I'm not so sure that drugging me was the best way to preserve the relationship... I wanted you with or without that rock.
- Alicia: Past tense noted.
- Martha: I'm upset. But more than that, I'm disappointed.
- Clark: I was on red kryptonite, Mom.
- Martha: My God, you ran off with a girl you barely know and got married.
- Clark: It wasn't legal.
- Martha: That's not even the point. Marriage is sacred, Clark. It's about two people who trust each other and are willing to go through life together no matter how difficult it gets. I thought we had taught you that! You're an amazing young man, Clark. You make life and death decisions every day. But then you turn around and you do this. Why did you do it?
- Clark: Mom, there's a part of me that never feels freer than when I'm with Alicia. She makes me feel normal and special at the same time.
- Martha: I know how badly you want to be with somebody. I want that for you too. I guess I just expected you to use better judgment.
- Chloe: Lois, if you found out something, something someone didn't want you to know about them, would you tell them?
- Lois: That depends. Is that person someone you care about?
- Chloe: Yeah.
- Lois: And does keeping the secret hurt anyone?
- Chloe: No.
- Lois: Then my answer is no. If I really cared about that person, I wouldn't tell them that I knew. But I would go out of my way to be supportive of them so that hopefully, one day, they would be comfortable enough to tell me themselves.
- Clark: Alicia didn't do this. Ever since she was released from Belle Reve, she's been wearing her lead bracelet. It prevents her from using her abilities.
- Lois: And did she also happen to be wearing anything low-cut when she spun you that tale, 'cause I'm not sure you're thinking with your big brain here.
- Chloe: Clark, just because Alicia says that the bracelet keeps her from teleporting doesn't mean that it's the truth.
- Clark: She was with me when Lana got attacked. I was saying good night in Grandville.
- Chloe: Yeah, but every second? You have to admit that she can transport easier than Captain Kirk.
- Lois: And she did try to carve herself a Jack-O-Lana before, cut and dry. Emphasis on the "cut."
- Jonathan: Son, your girlfriend has problems and this relationship is not healthy. Why can't you see that?
- Clark: You always told me to look for the good in people, to believe in them. And Alicia deserves a second chance.
- Martha: What I don't understand is why do you continue to see her, knowing how we feel?
- Clark: She kept my secret. She got shot protecting me. What else does she have to do to prove herself?
- Clark: Everybody thinks it's you.
- Alicia: Why, because of my powers? Because I'm a freak? You know what, Clark? Maybe if everybody knew your secret, you'd be a suspect too.
- Alicia: [reading] “Can Any Cell Hold Her?” Probably not.
- Chloe: Alicia, what are you doing here?
- Alicia: Chloe Sullivan, ace reporter. You write all these articles about the people you call freaks and you don't even realize that someone close to you is one of them. Why are you ignoring what's right in front of your face, Chloe? Don't you want to know the truth about Clark Kent?
- Chloe: How did you post bail?
- Lois: Four very good friends of mine. Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover.
- Clark: Lois, I don't think this is the best time.
- Lois: And when would be the best time, Clark, when I'm on the chain gang?
- Clark: [to Geoff] I'm sorry. She's under a lot of stress lately.
- Lois: No. Stress is when you're stuck in traffic or you have a midterm for a class you've never been to. I'm out on bail and looking to be locked up for manslaughter.
- Clark: I want to believe that I can go out there and play football like any normal college kid, but the fact is, I have powers that no other athlete has. Coop was right. It's not fair that Geoff was out there on that field, just like it's not fair when I'm out there competing. So I've decided to give up football.
- Martha: Clark... I know how difficult it is to give up something you love.
- Jonathan: But this decision you've made son, it shows integrity well beyond your years.
- Clark: Then why don't I feel good about it?
- Clark: So what're you gonna do? Are you gonna go stay with Chloe?
- Lois: They've got a tiny one-bedroom apartment. I can't do that to them. It's fine, really, I'm just gonna check into a motel and when the money runs out, I can always sleep in my car. The backseat's not too bad if you bend your knees and avoid the drive train and then, you know, if I have to sell my car for food, that's okay too. I've always dreamed of being a hobo, riding the rails, cooking beans over roadside fires...
- Clark: If you want, I guess you can stay with us.
- Lois: You're a lifesaver! God, am I in need of a hot shower! Don't worry, Smallville. I'll try to keep it under a half hour.
- Clark: What just happened?
- Chloe: I'm proud of you, Clark.
- Clark: You're proud of me? Why?
- Chloe: I just have a feeling that you're destined to do a lot more in this world than just score touchdowns.
- Clark: Chloe, you've been saying a lot of weird things to me lately. What makes you think I'm destined to do anything?
- Chloe: Just a hunch.
- Clark: Just playing with Skippy here.
- Lois: We're not gonna call him Skippy.
- Clark: Okay, Lois, what would you like to call him?
- Lois: Let's see. He's annoying, and I can't seem to get within ten feet of him without getting sick... I think we should call him Clarkie.
- Clark: We found this dog.
- Lois: Actually, I found him. Well, hit him actually. Not hard. We call him Clarkie.
- Clark: We don't call him Clarkie.
- Lois: Is it the "ie" part you don't like? Because we could always just make it Clark. But then that would get really confusing, and hey, maybe you should consider changing your name. You could be Skipper.
- Clark: Lois, call the police. I'm gonna see if I can catch up with these guys.
- Lois: Hold on there, Forrest Gump. What are you gonna do, run? We brought my car, remember?
- Clark: Lois, look--
- Lois: Unh-unh. We can call the cops on the way. You are so weird sometimes.
- Clark: [later, in the car] You know, can you go a little bit faster?
- Lois: Hey, you were gonna be hoofing it about ten minutes ago. Besides, I don't want to hit anything.
- Clark: Stop here.
- Lois: Where?
- Clark: Here! Stop here!
- Lois: Okay!
- Lois: I thought bathing him was supposed to help with my allergies.
- Clark: Well, maybe you're allergic to the soap too.
- Lois: Maybe I'm allergic to you.
- Clark: I was just trying to figure out if hidden temples and body-snatching witches fits under community service or extracurriculars.
- Jor-El: I knew you would return, my son.
- Clark: Why'd you send me to find this?
- Jor-El: Because you may be the last survivor of a great civilization.
- Clark: A great civilization that destroyed itself!
- Jor-El: As will yours if you continue to refuse your mission. The knowledge of our civilization was encoded in three stones brought to Earth and hidden at the far reaches of the world. Greed will drive others to hunt the stones. But if the humans should unite them before you, they will not be able to withstand the temptation and will drive the world to famine, war, and the Earth's ultimate destruction. You must find the other two stones. The fate of your world lies in your hands... Kal-El.
- Clark: Lana, what's going on?
- Lana: Which part? The immaculate tattoo, the fact that I seem to be a harboring a 16th century witch, or that Jason and Lex took off with a map to uncover it all behind my back?
- Clark: Why would they do that?
- Lana: I don't know, but Jason said that we were gonna figure this out together. But it turns out he has a rather limited definition of “we.”
- Clark: Lana, whatever their motives are, I'm sure they still care about you.
- Lana: That still doesn't change the fact that everybody seems to know more about me than I do.
- Clark: It must be scary to think that someone out there has a plan for you, but you don't know what it is yet.
- Lionel: You have a ferocious desire to find all the answers, son, but don't let your search for those stones turn into your personal Tower of Babel.
- Lex: I'm not trying to get closer to God, Dad. I'm trying to solve the riddles He's laid out for me.
- Lionel: Did you ever think there might be a reason why we weren't given the answers?
- Lex: To challenge us?
- Lionel: Or maybe to humble us. Knowledge comes from finding the answers, yes, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom. Men who didn't understand the difference have been the ruin of some of the world's greatest civilizations.
- Lex: Is that why you stopped looking for the stones? Because you're afraid?
- Lionel: No. No, I stopped because I realized that even if I find the three stones, I'm not gonna find what I'm really looking for. Neither will you.
- Clark: So, Lucy, Lois has told us absolutely nothing about you.
- Lucy: Well there's not much to tell.
- Lois: Oh, please. Let me gloat. She is getting straight A's at one of the most prestigious prep schools in Europe, she is fluent in three languages, and she is fending off Ivy League colleges with a stick.
- Clark: Wow, that's impressive. What happened to Lois?
- Lois: You're gonna find that Clark's charm is an acquired taste, much like his sense of fashion.
- Lex: Two Lanes under one roof. That's got to be interesting.
- Clark: Well, I haven't had a hot shower in two days, and the laundry machine is running nonstop, the phone line is consistently busy. No, it's nice having them around. I mean, it kind of takes the loneliness out of the house.
- Lex: Yeah, I always hated the sound of a quiet home.
- Clark: I knew you had talents, but I didn't think burglary was one of them.
- Lucy: I swear I was gonna pay it all back. I'm not some criminal.
- Clark: You do a pretty good job of impersonating one. Look, Lucy, I just don't get it. I mean, why?
- Lucy: Do you have any idea what it's like to be different from everyone else? To be a total outsider?
- Clark: I might have an idea.
- Clark: Lex, do you ever miss not having a sibling?
- Lex: I used to... until I met you, Clark. You're closer to me than any... blood brother.
- Lois: You're amazing, Smallville. You always look for the best in people even when they walk all over you.
- Clark: I guess that explains why we're friends.
- Lois: Oh, we're friends now?
- Clark: Well, I won't tell anyone if you don't.
- Clark: Chloe, I was with Lex. We went to the lab together.
- Chloe: Which would be about the same time I was talking to Lex outside Dr. Sinclair's room.
- Clark: Well, that's impossible.
- Chloe: Not in Smallville. You of all people should know that.
- Lionel: What's going on? What the hell are you doing?
- Alexander: Seizing the moment, Dad. Just like you taught me. Now, what's your problem with me this time, old man?
- Lionel: It was your offer to hold a fundraiser at LuthorCorp Plaza, then you go behind my back and cancel the whole thing. Why would you do that?
- Alexander: "Because helping those who refuse to help themselves is a waste of time and money, son!" Isn't that what the old Lionel Luthor used to say?
- Lionel: I've changed. People change, Lex.
- Alexander: No, they don't. They just get soft. Like you.
- Clark: Where's Lex?
- Alexander: He's standing right in front of you.
- Clark: No, you're not him. The real Lex would never try to kill me or Chloe.
- Alexander: No, you're probably right. But he's thought about it! All the times you've meddled in his plans, derailed his ambitions. He's thought about killing all of you. He just never had the guts to go through with it.
- Clark: What are you?
- Alexander: I was just about to ask you the same question.
- Lex: Let's see what happens to me if you die!
- Alexander: You can't kill me! I drive you. I give your life meaning. I'm your soul, you weak, pathetic little man! I'm the real Lex Luthor!
- Lex: Look, whatever I've done in the last few days...
- Lionel: Please, no need for an apology. Quite the contrary. I must say, you finally proved yourself to be the son I've always wanted, and I thank you for showing me so clearly the error of my ways.
- Lex: What are you talking about?
- Lionel: I'm closing down the foundation immediately.
- Lex: What? You can't. The charity is your life.
- Lionel: Just a foolish dream. I'm awake now. A man can't deny his true nature, can he, Lex? No. We're Luthors.
- Lois: Mrs. Kent, a lot of things are possible in this world, but there will be a man on Mars before Clark and I go to Prom together.
- Dawn [in Martha]: So what, you two just get together and mack, but keep it on the down-low in public?
- Clark: Mom!
- Lois: I don't mean to be rude, Mrs. Kent, but did you crack open the cooking sherry?
- Chloe: Well, we are in Smallville. And I mean, what would the Senior Prom be without a body-snatching Prom Queen?
- Dawn [in Lois]: How do I look?
- Clark: Looks like you're going to the Prom.
- Dawn [in Lois]: I am. And you're taking me! I'm not going to let you sit around moping all night while your parents go out and do the electric boogaloo all night. It's gonna be fun.
- Clark: No, I'm not going.
- Dawn [in Lois]: Massive re-strategy. You're going to your senior Prom whether you like it or not. End of discussion. Put on your tux.
- Clark: Lois, wasn't this not in the realm of possibilities?
- Dawn [in Lois]: Anything is possible, Clark. Anything.
- Lois: What the hell am I doing in a dress, and what the hell am I doing at your Prom?
- Clark: Oh, no...
- [Lois points to the corsage pinned to her dress]
- Lois: Did you pin that on me?
- Clark: I'll explain later, Lois.
- Lois: A little close to the boob, don't you think?
- Lois: Hey. You know, a year from now, this is all gonna seem like a lifetime ago.
- Chloe: That's funny because it feels like just yesterday when he deserted that nervous freshman on the dance floor.
- Lois: You're headed for Metropolis. You are destined to be a big shot reporter at the Daily Planet. Do you really picture Clark Kent being able to keep up with you?
- Chloe: You know, Lois, I think Clark might have a lot more to offer than you realize.
- Lois: I wouldn't bet on it.
- Lois: Clark, you know that.
- Chloe: Well, not so much. He has amnesia, and he's having a hard time—
- Lois: Again?
- Clark: What do you mean again?
- Lois: Well, at least this time you got clothes on.
- Chloe: I'm gonna go to the Torch and see what I can find out about amnesia.
- Lois: Yeah, just leave Mr. Memory Reboot to me. I'm getting to be a pro at this. [to Clark] But you know what? You're gonna have to put up with PB and J because that's the extent of my culinary skills.
- Chloe: [to Clark] Okay?
- Clark: Please tell me I'm not related to her.
- Chloe: No, I am. You live with her.
- Clark: How did I do that?
- Chloe: Why did I always picture myself on the other end of this conversation? Smallville was hit with the world's biggest meteor shower when you were little. Now, I know this sounds way out there, but some of the meteor rocks have had an extraterrestrial effect on certain people in the town, and it's my theory that you were one of them.
- Clark: Extraterrestrial powers? You mean I'm some sort of alien?
- Chloe: No. No, of course not.
- Clark: A mutant?
- Chloe: Uh... yeah... who has saved my life on more than one occasion. See, you've sort of taken it upon yourself to be Smallville's self-appointed hero. And if you ask me, I think that that is amazing.
- Chloe: Hold on a minute, are you telling me that you can see through solid objects?
- Clark: I guess that's one you didn't know about, huh?
- Chloe: No, and that might be one of those abilities you're gonna want to keep a lid on.
- Clark: You know, I've been thinking about that. You know, I don't know why I was worried so much about what people think. I don't know why I let it rule my life. I mean, you understood.
- Chloe: Yeah, but Clark, unfortunately, some people in Smallville aren't as progressive as your post-amnesia tour guide.
- Clark: That should be their problem, not mine.
- Lois: How did he [Clark] get here?.
- Chloe:[Loking at Clark talking to Lana] Looks like the heart remembers more than the brain.
- Clark: So it must've been kind of strange to have a zombie best friend walking around.
- Chloe: Yeah, I mean, you know, I never really realized how complicated that zombie's life was.
- Clark: Complicated? Did I do something unusual?
- Chloe: You had a clean slate to start all over with, and you made all the same choices... except for one.
- Clark: Chloe, I need you to be completely honest with me.
- Chloe: Honest, huh?
- Clark: What'd I do?
- Chloe: You trusted me.
- Adams: Last time I checked, babies don't just fall out of the sky, Mr. Kent.
- Clark: It left a 30-foot crater, Sheriff. How else would you explain it?
- Adams: Well, I can't. That's why we're conducting a little something called an investigation.
- Lionel: You know, there were other treasure seekers in China, Genevieve.
- Genevieve: A farm boy, an ex-cheerleader, and Lex Luthor. Who do you think ended up with the prize?
- Lionel: Well, my son hasn't been listening to me. What do you want me to do, give him a good spanking?
- Lionel: Parenthood. It's an interesting phenomenon, isn't it? The lengths we go to... to protect our children. No limits.
- Genevieve: [choking] What have you done to me?
- Lionel: The wine you've just drunk will kill you in a matter of minutes. I'm told that the pain will be excruciating. How about a trade? You give me the stone that you stole from Bridgette Crosby, and I give you... the antidote. One more thing... you go near my son, and anything that happens to him happens to you. Is that understood?
- Jonathan: There is nothing quite like watching your son grow up into a young man you can be very proud of.
- Clark: It's too bad I'll never know what that's like.
- Martha: Why not?
- Clark: I'm from another planet. I'm not even human. Who knows if I can have kids?
- Martha: Clark, your father and I couldn't have children. We were still blessed with a son. You never know what the future will bring you.
- Lex: I'm releasing our findings to every research facility across the globe. Evan's life may offer hope for generations to come.
- Clark: He was a special kid, Lex. I can't help wondering what kind of man he would've become.
- Lex: A good one... as long as you were in his life. I bet you're gonna be a great dad someday, Clark.
- Clark: So will you, Lex.
- Lex: I don't know about that. Look, we're all reflections of how we've been raised. Your parents gave you encouragement and support. Mine chose the opposite track. I plan on leaving a different kind of legacy.
- Martha: I know what you're doing, Jonathan. You can't take the place of Clark on this farm, no one can. Every other farm in the county has at least five hands to help out.
- Jonathan: Sweetheart, my family managed to run this farm for generations before Clark came around. I see no reason why I can't run it by myself.
- Martha: Sometimes I wonder which one of you is more stubborn.
- Jonathan: Why don't I give you a clue?
- Jonathan: Martha, what exactly is it that you want me to do? You want me to tell our teenage son that we couldn't possibly survive around here without him? What kind of parents would that make us?
- Martha: Honest ones. How many times has he asked be treated like an adult? This decision took a lot of maturity.
- Jonathan: Or guilt. Martha, Clark still feels responsible for my heart problems. I'm not going to allow him to do this out of pity.
- Martha: It's not pity, Jonathan. Clark knows that if he leaves, he can only come back a few times a year. And he doesn't want one of those times to be your funeral.
- Lex: You're making a big mistake Jason. I know she's your mother but don't think for a second she won't turn on you. Trust me on this one.
- Genevieve: Jason...
- Jason: It's okay, Mother. I don't expect him to understand the meaning of family loyalty, especially when the only thing running through the Luthor blood is betrayal.
- Genevieve: Lex, your father has one of the stones.
- Lex: And what do you want from me?
- Genevieve: I have a feeling that he'd sooner die than give up that stone. But all that might change if his own flesh and blood were at stake.
- Lex: You obviously don't know my father as well as I do.
- Genevieve: I hope for your sake you're wrong.
- Clark: Dad, you raised me to make my own decisions. Why don't you trust me on this?
- Jonathan: Because you are a lot like me. I had a full ride to Met. U. waiting for me when I graduated. Problem is, my father needed me on this farm. So I stayed.
- Clark: Dad that's a pretty big footnote to leave out. Why didn't you tell me?
- Jonathan: I didn't want it to weigh you down. As much as I loved my father, a part of me still resents him for needing me that much. I don't want you to feel that. That's not the kind of father I ever wanted to be.
- Clark: Dad. This isn't about the kind of father you are. It's about the kind of son I want to be.
- Lois: I took this career test in some magazine - it said that my perfect job would be a radio disc jockey.
- Clark: That makes sense. You talk enough. There won't be any dead air.
- Lois: You mock me now Smallville, but you just wait and see.
- Clark: Journalism. You ever thought about that? You wrote some half decent articles in your short lived career at the Torch.
- Lois: Nah, kill me first. Even if I could spell, the last thing I'd wanna do is spend my time in a newsroom. With my luck I'd probably end up across the desk from the most bumbling reporter on the masthead.
- Lois: I realize hand-eye coordination isn't one of your strong suits. Here, let me help you with that.
- Clark: [annoyed] Lois, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do without you.
- Lois: Oh, come on, Clark, your future is laid out right in front of you. You're going to go to community college, major in agriculture, probably minor in law enforcement. And then you and Lana are going to have a nice little church wedding.
- Clark: Excuse me?
- Lois: It's written in the stars and you know it. It's only a matter of time before you join the bowling league, take over the family farm, and then, well, you and Lana can bring little Clark Jr. into the world.
- Clark: I think you're hallucinating.
- Lois: No. Hallucinating would be imagining Clark Kent going off to the big city to make his mark in the world. I'm just being realistic.
- Lois: Look, I know we've had our disagreements in the past. And I will be the first to admit that I've made it my own little hobby to bust your chops.
- Clark: I'm used to it. Besides, I know I haven't been the most gracious host.
- Lois: Look, I just want you to know, Clark, that when I'm sitting in the audience today at your graduation and you stand up on that stage in front of all those people, I'm gonna be looking up at you and thinking one thing.
- Clark: What's that?
- Lois: Please, God, don't let him trip.
- Jor-El: The knowledge of the universe is meant for you only. Yet you chose to deny your heritage. Today, you will witness the consequences.
- Clark: Then you sent the meteor shower?
- Jor-El: I have done nothing, Kal-El. Human blood has stained one of the elements and awakened a great danger from the darkness of space.
- Clark: What can I do to stop it?
- Jor-El: There is nothing you can do to prevent what is already in motion. But the meteor shower is just the beginning, Kal-El. I warned you that the elements could not fall into the hands of a human. The three must become one. It is the only way to save Earth from total annihilation.
- Clark: I don't know where they are! I don't have time to find them!
- Jor-El: If you don't unite them at once, you, my son, will be seared by a fire from the sky even you can't survive. The future of mankind rests in your hands, Kal-El.
- Clark: You're gonna have to go without me.
- Jonathan: Do I have to remind you, Clark, that the last time we had a meteor shower, it was full of kryptonite?
- Martha: If the same happens today it could kill you. You have to come with us.
- Clark: I spoke to Jor-El. He told me I have to find the other two stones right now, and unite them with the one in the cave.
- Martha: No! You're my son. You're not gonna go on some kind of suicide mission.
- Jonathan: Clark, you might be stronger than steel, but you're not invincible.
- Clark: I know, Dad. But I'm the only one who can do this.
- Jonathan: All right. But I want you to listen to me right now. All the years that your mother and I spent raising you from that wide-eyed toddler running around on this farm to the man who is standing in front of me right now was for this moment. You do this, son. You make us proud.
- Jor-El: Kal-El, you must continue your education. You cannot stop.
- Clark: She's my friend! She needs help!
- Jor-El: Your destiny is far greater than saving one human life.
- Clark: No, I won't let her die!
- Jor-El: Each time you let your emotions guide you, the fate of the entire planet is at risk. That is your weakness, Kal-El.
- Clark: I wasn't born anywhere near Smallville. In fact, I wasn't born anywhere near this galaxy.
- Chloe: Okay... okay... so that would make you an...
- Clark: Yeah.
- Chloe: But you... you look so--
- Clark: Human? I'm still the same person.
- Chloe: Clark... I think you're so amazing. You save people's lives and take zero credit for it. To me, you're more than just a hero. You're a super hero.
- Clark: Chloe--
- Chloe: I'm serious, Clark. If more humans were like you, the world would be a better place.
- Chloe: [to Clark] I want you to know, I'll never be the iceberg to your Titanic, and your secret will never ever leave my lips. No matter what.
- Clark: How'd you get that frog in your throat?
- Lois: That's what happens when you get a neck massage from Barbie the Barbarian. Doctor says I shouldn't talk too much.
- Clark: Oh, gee. That's too bad.
- Lois: Don't get your hopes up, Smallville. It's not permanent.
- Martha: You can get hurt now; you're vulnerable.
- Clark: Isn't that what it means to be human?
- Clark: Whoa!
- Chloe: What? I like to come prepared.
- Clark: Chloe, where'd you get all this stuff?
- Chloe: eBay.
- Clark: Is that a flash grenade?
- Chloe: Careful! That was a graduation present from Lois. I'm saving it for a special occasion.
- Clark: Why didn't you tell me about all this stuff?
- Chloe: We all have our secrets, Clark.
- Lex: Happiness is such an elusive creature, isn't it? We all wish for it, but very few ever really find it.
- Chloe: Doesn't make the search any less important.
- Lex: Or the destination... Do you remember the last time we stood here together? I ended up unconscious on the ground and somehow you landed in the artic.
- Chloe: I told you, I don't remember what happened.
- Lex: Then why have you been avoiding me, Chloe? It's been weeks since I brought you back from that hospital in the Yukon where I found you.
- Chloe: I've been busy, Lex.
- Lex: Right, I heard being a third wheel is very time consuming.
- Chloe: Clark and Lana are finally together. They're happy. That's all that should matter to a real friend.
- Lex: I think you know more than you're telling me about what happened in this cave, about Clark's involvement. I know you think you're being a good friend, but you're playing a very dangerous game.
- Chloe: Kinda like covering up the spaceship Lana said crashed during the meteor shower.
- Lex: Lana was hysterical. She didn't see what she thought she did.
- Chloe: Well, maybe you didn't either, Lex. Stop asking me questions or I will start asking my own.
- Clark: Destiny's just another word for not having a choice.
- Clark: It's a lot heavier than I remember.
- Jonathan: You're just going to have to learn, Clark. Pace yourself. You're human now.
- Chloe: Ah, the joys of manual labor.
- Clark: It's not so bad. I kinda like being sore. It makes me feel like I've actually accomplished something. No pain, no gain, right?
- Chloe: Breaking news: Clark Kent saves the day.
- Clark: Thanks to you.
- Chloe: Yeah, well, I did just what I usually do. You were the one who took down three meteor freaks without any... special advantages. Then again, once a hero, always a hero.
- Clark: All right, look, okay, my dad isn't going to be up for about fifteen minutes and we gotta get outta here. Well, you gotta get outta here.
- Lana: You sure? 'Cause sticking around for breakfast sounds like fun.
- Clark: What?!
- Lana: Pass me my shoe. "We won't fall asleep. I promise." What else are we going to do at two o'clock in the morning?
- Clark: You aren't mad, are you?
- Lana: I'm furious.
- [They kiss]
- Clark: Am I dead?
- Jor-El [in Lionel]: Your mortal journey is over, yes, but your eminent destiny is too important to sacrifice. You will return with all your natural gifts. Unfortunately, this rectification does not come without a price. The life of someone close to you will be exchanged for yours.
- Clark: No. No, I would never ask for that.
- Jor-El [in Lionel]: You already did. When you decided to relinquish your powers and disobey me. It was your choice.
- Clark: Then just don't bring me back!
- Jor-El [in Lionel]: It's too late. For everything in nature, there is a balance. The life force that has been returned to you will soon be taken from... from someone you love. You're about to face your darkest hour, my son. But, remember: The lessons that we learn from pain are the ones that make us the strongest.
- Clark: I can't take that risk. I've risked too much already and now someone else is going to have to pay for it.
- Chloe: Clark, is everything okay? What's going on?
- Clark: I never should have given up my powers. Why didn't I listen to him? Chloe, I think I've made a terrible mistake.
- Jonathan: Son, they told us you were dead.
- Clark: I was.
- Jonathan: Jor-El...
- Clark: Yeah.
- Martha: He returned your powers, didn't he?
- Clark: I'm not human anymore. It's the only way I could come back.
- Jonathan: We heard about a missile malfunction. You stopped it, didn't you? It's not easy to sacrifice the things you want the most to save other people. We're so proud of you, Clark.
- Clark: The sacrifice would've been not coming back at all.
- Lana: Clark's medical file.
- Lex: That's confidential.
- Lana: I heard you asked for it at the hospital. All of his test results came back normal. When are you going to realize, Lex, that he's just like the rest of us?
- Lex: Do you really believe that, or is that what you have to tell yourself to stay in a relationship with him? You've had your doubts about him too. You can't deny it.
- Lana: I was wrong. Believe me, there is nothing unusual about Clark. Except his ability to see the good in people who don't deserve it.
- Lex: I think you're forgetting something, Lana. Whatever new lie he told you, however he swept it under the rug, a normal person doesn't rise from the dead.
- Lois: I just ran into Mrs. Kent at the Talon and right out of nowhere, she asked if I would like to move back in at the farm.
- Clark: Yeah, right... Really?
- Lois: I know, isn't that sweet? Oh, don't worry. You little snuggle bunnies can hop right on away. I'm a light sleeper. I'm going for a dip.
- Clark: [to Lana] Do you think she could sleep through me smothering her with a pillow?
- Chloe: So, I take it Lana hasn't gotten to peek into the confidential files of Clark Kent yet.
- Clark: Chloe, you think I'm happy about having my powers back and lying about them? I didn't ask for this to happen.
- Chloe: We didn't ask for a world that needs heroes, but the truth is we do. Now more than ever, Clark.
- Professor Fine: History is not about facts. It's about the context and who is telling the story. So, what is history? What is herstory? What is your story, Mr. Kent? How will you affect the world around you for generations to come?
- Clark: I'm not sure you can know that at eighteen.
- Professor Fine: Tell that to Alexander the Great or, to bring it closer to home, Lex Luthor. Now, he's not much older than you are and yet he's turned his father's agro business into a leading defense contractor. He's gone from feeding people to killing them, and yet his story is that he's a white knight who's just put a small Kansas town on the map. Beware of white knights, people. They don't slay dragons. They train them for their own dark purpose. Think of Hitler, Stalin, Napoleon.
- Clark: Lex isn't a saint, but I don't think you can put him in the same league as those guys.
- Professor Fine: An honest opinion. I like that.
- Professor Fine: Why else would the son of family farmers be defending such a man?
- Clark: It's a long story, but Lex's not the man you make him out to be.
- Professor Fine: Well, you know, Groucho Marx said there was only one way to find out if a man is honest: ask him. If he says yes, then he must be crooked.
- Clark: I would think a college professor would be quoting Karl Marx, not Groucho.
- Professor Fine: German philosophy is easy. Comedy's hard.
- [Arthur "A.C." Curry (the future "Aquaman") bids Clark adieu.]
- A.C.: Maybe when I'm finished saving the world, we could start a Junior Lifeguard Association.
- Clark: Nah, I don't think I'm ready for the JLA yet.
- Professor Fine: The question is: will you leave your footprints on the history of time or let them be washed away by the tides of more powerful men? Mr. Kent, what about you?
- Clark: Me? I, um...
- Professor Fine: LuthorCorp practically owns your hometown Smallville. What if you found out that Lex Luthor, the emperor of the company, was a dangerous, unstable, megalomaniac, bent on destroying your world. Would you have the courage to try to stop him?
- Professor Fine: Why would a man of your stature be so concerned with the comings and goings of a freshman farmboy?
- Lex: If you know so much about me, Professor, I'm sure you realize I donate a considerable amount of funding to this university that allows me an unusual amount of access to the dean and the academic review board.
- Professor Fine: Yeah, I know. The buying of influence is part of my second semester.
- Lex: If you have a second semester.
- Chloe: Okay, for someone with a keen weird-ar, I can't believe I did not see the signs, but I defy anyone to tell the difference between a nascent vampire and a freshman girl with a hangover.
- Lana: I'm sorry it had to be this way, Clark. But we don't always get to choose who we are. Sometimes, our destiny leads us to places that we don't want to go, and there's nothing we can do about it.
- Chloe: I got in on the ground floor of my dream. Okay, so it's actually the basement. But, it's Daily Planet! The paper of record for kings, presidents and prime ministers; not to mention future superheroes. The way I look at it, I had no place to go, but up, up, and away.
- Lois: Clark, look, I'm not great at this, so just keep your mouth shut and listen up. Even though I was kicking butt on the helicopter, it was really nice to have backup. And you didn't have to come after me, but you always do. So I wanted to say thank you. You're a really good friend. Oh, and about the lap dance. If you decide to tell anyone about it, your Elmer Fudd nightlight will make a very public appearance.
- Clark: Aye-Aye... sailor.
- Clark: Is it true, Lex?
- Lex: You know, after you've been M.I.A. for weeks, I don't think a hello is too much to ask for.
- Clark: How long you been planning to run for state senate?
- Lex: Several months now, and if you're implying I should have told you, you might want to rethink the barrier you've drawn on this friendship.
- Jack: You've never had a lie get out of hand? Or you've never been caught at it?
- Jonathan: I've never been in a position where people look up to me. You are Clark's hero.
- Jack: So I'm not supposed to have any faults, huh? Who can live up to that? You know why there's no heroes today? It's because at the end of the day, people don't respect them; they envy them. And they're just waiting for them to screw up.
- Lex: Tell me what you remember about King David. Humor me.
- Clark: King David... Slew Goliath, saved his people.
- Lex: And afterward, he saw a beautiful woman bathing and fell madly in love. The problem was, she turned out to be his best friend's wife. So you know what our great hero did? He sent his best friend off to die in battle so he could have her to himself.
- Clark: Kind of leave that part out, don't they?
- Lex: We all need to believe in heroes, Clark, and even the best ones are far from perfect.
- Jack: After 20 years, the man's still got a Hell of a knack for the guilt trip, doesn't he?
- Clark: Usually works 'cause he's right.
- Jack: Your father's always had some pretty high expectations of the people around him. He's the one man I never wanted to disappoint.
- Clark: You should try being his son. The thing I always try to remember is, no matter how much he lays on, he never expects more than he expects of himself.
- Jack: You think your dad will ever forgive me?
- Clark: Yeah. I've given him a lot of trial runs in the forgiveness arena.
- Lionel: I know about Clark. Chloe Sullivan has supplied me with all the information I need: his true identity, the powers he possesses and uses. I know he's vulnerable to kryptonite. Accept my support, and I can guarantee you a seat in the senate.
- Jonathan: And what happens if I don't accept?
- Lionel: The truth about Clark will come out in any case. The only difference is how he'll be treated when we run the tests. He can either be a distinguished guest or strapped down, helpless like a lab rat. It's your choice.
- Clark: Why are you doing this to me, Dad? Why are you doing this?! No more lies. Tell me the truth. Tell me!
- Jonathan: You want the truth? You were never really my son. You're the thing I found in the corn field.
- Lex: The investigation into Clark Kent has yielded a surprising revelation. Clark Kent is not of this earth. He is an alien; an intruder from a distant galaxy, the first vanguard of an invasion.
- Clark: No! No! That's not what I am!
- Lex: But I know his weakness. I know how to stop this strange visitor from another planet. I'm the one that's gonna kill you, Clark.
- Professor Fine: Brutus and Caesar. Jesus and Judas. They all started out as best friends. What happened? Well, if history teaches us one thing, it's that even the most powerful men can be betrayed by those they trust the most. The reason betrayal is such a predominant theme throughout history is really quite simple. Duplicity is human nature.
- Clark: You say "human" like it's a bad thing.
- Professor Fine: Just going off what I've seen. This race shows promise, but at this point in history, they are still duplicitous by their very nature. Even the ones you think you love can't be trusted.
- Clark: You don't know anything about this race. Yeah, they can be petty and dishonest and betray each other over nothing. But they can also be honest and loyal. And they would give up everything to protect someone they love. Even if they were from another planet.
- Professor Fine: Kal-El...
- Clark: My name is Clark. And I'll always believe in my friends and my family.
- Professor Fine: I sincerely hope your trust hasn't been misplaced.
- Lois: Let me give you a little friendly advice: Bow out of the race before a pesky little squirrel digs up one of your rotten acorns.
- Lex: Well, thanks, Lois. You know, there's nothing more valuable than the savvy political advice of a muffin-peddling college dropout. Speaking of, do you have banana blueberry today?
- Clark: You know, Professor Fine said that human beings were insignificant and couldn't be depended on. He obviously didn't know you very well.
- Chloe: Please. Robo-Professor knows as much about human nature as R2-D2.
- Clark: He's my father. I have the right to know everything about him.
- Professor Fine: I agree. When you're ready.
- Clark: I'm ready now!
- Professor Fine: Impatience is such a pathetic human trait. But I suppose it's to be expected from someone raised by such a primitive race.
- Clark: I happen to care a great deal about this primitive race... a lot more than I do about Krypton.
- Martha: You've given me so much happiness, Clark. I don't know what I would've been without you.
- Clark: Without me, none of this would have happened.
- Martha: Don't ever feel guilty about this. Do you hear me? I wouldn't have it any other way. You're gonna be fine. Look at you. You're a man now, Clark. A wonderful man. My job's done.
- Professor Fine: The only way to save your mother is to destroy the fortress. Jor-El's will is controlling her virus through the crystals. If you bring down his fortress, you will save your mother from his grip.
- Clark: All he's ever done is try to ruin my life.
- Professor Fine: Sadly, that was his legacy on Krypton, as well.
- Clark: I want him gone.
- Clark: Dad we both know Jor-El's not the type to just let things go.
- Jonathan: Clark, when it comes down to it, none of us are going to be around forever. We can't dwell on that. I think the trick is just to live your life to its fullest. Make sure you spend as much time as you possibly can with the people you love.
- Lex: Much like Ebenezer Scrooge, I realized that what I want more than anything is to live happily ever after. And do you know what the secret to living happily ever after is? Power. Money and power. See, once you have those two things, you can secure everything else... and keep it that way.
- Lex: Dr. Litvack told me the odds of survival I had going into surgery. Pretty reckless roll of the dice, don't you think?
- Lionel: On the contrary, son. What I did may appear callous, but opting for my son to have surgery was a deliberate decision.
- Lex: But it wasn't your decision to make, was it? You went against the doctors' advice not because you wanted to save me, but because you couldn't bear having a cripple for a son.
- Lionel: You may hate me for taking the risk, but I had to make a choice. And you're alive, and you can walk. I had to give you that chance.
- Lex: And what if I hadn't made it? How would you have justified your decision then? How dare you play God with my life.
- Lex: Oh, not to worry, Griff. We Luthors are made of pretty tough and definitely expensive material.
- Lex: I want you to pull the pin on that grenade. Find it, fake it... do whatever it takes to knock Jonathan Kent out of the race. I want to be senator. I want it all.
- Griff: Consider it done. Merry Christmas.
- Chloe: I know you didn't come by this late at night just to drop off this press release. What happened?
- Clark: How far do you want to cross the friendship boundary?
- Chloe: Since when do we have boundaries?... All right, why don't you just leave out the details?
- Clark: Well, everything was fine between Lana and I when I was human. I mean, it was great.
- Chloe: [prodding him] Okay, Clark...
- Clark: But now I have my abilities, it's like our... sex... life has been on hiatus.
- Chloe: Oh. I know I'm gonna regret asking this question, but why?
- Clark: It takes some time for me to adjust my abilities to new situations.
- Chloe: Wow. Uh, awkward factor 8. So basically what you're saying is that you're afraid that in the heat of the moment you might... please don't make me finish this sentence, Clark.
- Clark: Well, you see, that's the thing. I'm not sure what would happen. I mean if I couldn't control myself...
- Chloe: Okay, you know, Clark, right there that's something that can't never be unseen.
- Clark: It's not funny.
- Chloe: No, you're right, it's not. It's just that this conversation definitely cements me as your Krypto-hag.
- [discussing Clark pulling away from Lana]
- Lana: It just feels like you're afraid to touch me anymore. Did something happen? Clark? Okay, is this where I have to remind you that you're the one who said we wouldn't keep things from each other?
- Clark: Why is this about me? I mean, you're the one that pulled away first. You moved to Metropolis two weeks after we got together. And now you spend every moment with these books. Why astronomy?
- Lana: It's homework.
- Clark: It's an obsession. And that thing about honesty? It works both ways.
- Lana: Nice deflection, but I don't fall for that anymore.
- [Clark super speeds out of the room]
- Chloe: Damn, I wish I could do that.
- Lex: [delirious] Do you think I'd look better with hair?
- Lana: Um, I don't know. I've never thought about it.
- Lex: Oh, I have. I've thought about a lot of things... Clark has really nice hair.
- Lana: Yeah. Yeah, I guess he does.
- Lex: Does he know?
- Lana: That he has nice hair?
- Chloe: Clark! Can you at least put on the brakes before you tornado my homework?
- Clark: Sorry.
- Clark: [after confessing his secret] Do I look different to you now?
- Lana: Clark, you look like the same handsome guy I've always known.
- Clark: Handsome as in "I wanna spend the rest of my life with you" or handsome as in "I'm gonna let you down easy?"
- Lana: As in "Yes, Clark, I'll marry you."
- Lana: What would you do if you thought you knew someone really well, and it turns out that there's this... whole other side to them?
- Lois: Well, that depends. Are we in arms-dealer territory, or are we talking w:The Crying Game?
- Lana: Nothing like that.
- Lois: Then I guess the question is, does it change the way you feel about him?
- Lana: Maybe.
- Lois: Look, I don't know what's going on, but I would be lucky to end up with someone as honorable as Clark some day.
- Jor-El: Human life is fragile, my son. You knew her life would be exchanged for yours.
- Clark: Don't make her pay for my mistake! If I hadn't told her the truth about me, she'd still be alive! You have to let me fix it.
- Jor-El: Your powers on Earth may seem extraordinary, Kal-El, but we are not gods.
- Clark: There has to be a way to fix this. Please.
- Jor-El: There's one trial you have yet to experience, but you must heed my warning. The tide of fate is impossible to stop. Even if you are able to alter one course of events, the universe will find others. There is only one crystal. Once you make this choice, there is no second chance. Decide carefully.
- Clark: I have to save her.
- Martha: Clark... a heart beats only so many times in a life. Your father used his more than anyone I know.
- Clark: I just don't know how I'm supposed to be the man he wanted me to be without him here.
- Martha: You're his son. You know what's right and wrong. And whether your father is here with us or not, you're a man he's proud of... a man he could look up to. And something tells me he won't be the only one.
- Lionel: It must be humbling to pull all those strings and find out they're attached to nothing.
- Lex: Especially when your father's the one holding the scissors.
- Lionel: What good is having a family if they don't watch out for each other?
- Lex: On the off chance that unshakable family loyalty fails, there's always those Luthor closets to rummage through.
- Lionel: All right, let's skip the prologue, Lex. What ancient skeleton do you think you've dug up this time?
- Lex: Well, it's not quite a skeleton yet. More like a freshly laid corpse... I wonder how Martha Kent would feel if she knew you had a secret meeting with her husband right before he died. Now, a transgression like that would test the virtues of even the most forgiving woman.
- Clark: I should have listened to you, Chloe. You tried to warn me. I had my hands around that guy's throat, and I thought that if I just kept squeezing the life out of him, then it would make everything right again.
- Chloe: God, Clark. But you didn't?
- Clark: No.
- Chloe: What made you stop?
- Clark: My dad's voice. This is going to sound weird, but I could hear him. He was the one that always kept me from going over the edge when I was too close.
- Chloe: Do you think you could ever do what she did? Play the mild-mannered reporter by day and a crime-fighter by night?
- Clark: Honestly, I'm kind of hoping I can find a way to not have to hide who I really am.
- Clark: Why haven't you gone to see her?
- Chloe: Well because, because I'm afraid. I mean what if I look in her eyes and I see myself?
- Clark: What if you wait too long and you never get the chance to look into her eyes again? She's your mother, she always will be. It's not going to change no matter what.
- Clark: Lois, you don’t know what goes on there. Do you really want Lex and these doctors getting inside Chloe’s head?
- Lois: If it makes her feel better, I don’t care if Daffy Duck whacks her with a mallet!
- Chloe: Guys, I’m drugged, not deaf.
- Chloe: Clark, I'm a writer. If I was going to kill myself, I would've written one hell of a suicide note.
- [Clark confronts Lana's mysterious car-crash "victim" outside the hospital.]
- Clark: She said she hit you full on and you're not even hurt. How'd you manage that?
- Victor: Milk. Does a body good.
- [Clark bursts in on Lex.]
- Clark: We need to talk!
- Lex: And you should work on your entrance, Clark. Bit abrupt, don't you think?
- Clark: What do you know about Syntechnics?
- Lex: See, now that's exactly what I mean. No small talk, no pleasantries — just straight to the accusations.
- Clark: I haven't accused you of anything.
- Lex: You don't have to. Your, uh, righteous tone says it all. So what am I have supposed to have done this time?
- Victor: I'd say thank you, but... the words just seem too small.
- Clark: And completely unnecessary.
- Victor: Your mom raised you modest, didn't she?
- Chloe: Every single one of us has gone through some sort of an identity crisis at one point or another. It's like a rite of passage in Smallville.
- Chloe: I just don't get it. I mean, if it was Red "K", you wouldn't be doing chores. And if it was Silver "K", you'd be afraid that pitchfork over there would turn you into a shish kabob.
- Chloe: Oh my God. I just knocked out Martha Kent.
- Lois: Well, considering she was about to redecorate her wallpaper with my brain matter, I don't think you had a choice!
- Lex: Clark, you've been hypnotized. How else could you throw me across the room like that?
- Lois: Face it, Clark is no different then any other red-blooded male. His brain is not his commanding officer.
- Jonathan: [to Clark] This is your destiny, son. You are going to touch the lives of so many people. Not just as a man, but as a symbol. You're a symbol of peace. You're a symbol of justice. And now it's time for you to go.
- Lex: Is this going to be another apology?
- Lana: Well, they don't make a card for "Sorry I got you killed."
- Clark: You died because of me. When Jor-El brought me back to life and restored my powers... he told me there'd be a price - the life of someone I love. I'm sorry, Dad. I'm so sorry.
- Jonathan: Clark... believe me you have nothing to be sorry about. I lived a full, wonderful life. I had everything a husband or a father could ever possibly dream of. I am so very proud that I died protecting you.
- Clark: Protecting me from what?
- Jonathan: Lionel Luthor, Clark. He knows your secret. He knows everything. You can't stay here, son. You've got to keep your mother safe. You've got to keep the whole world safe.
- Chloe: Well I'll reach out to my source and see if they know anything else. Clark, don't worry about it. You won the first fight. My money's on you in the rematch.
- Clark: Chloe, I don't think Fine is the only thing we need to worry about. When I was injected with the serum and died, I saw my father.
- Chloe: Oh my God, Clark.
- Clark: Yeah, he told me there's someone else who knows my secret - Lionel Luthor.
- Chloe: Well you can't be sure. I mean what you saw it could have been a hallucination. You know a manifestation of your desires and fears.
- Clark: Chloe, I could feel my father. It was real. I know it in my heart.
- Lillian: What was it then that brought you to me? Oh yes, you were shot coming out of a meeting with the man you hired to destroy Jonathan Kent's reputation, so you could become senator. How'd that turn out, by the way?
- Lex: If you're really my dead mother, wouldn't you know?
- Lillian: It was a rhetorical question, Alexander; of course I know.
- Clark: Chloe, if my parents hadn't found me in that field, it could have been me in the foster care system, scaring people with my powers, being accused of crimes I didn't commit.
- Chloe: Yeah, and Clark, one of your greatest powers is your unrelenting faith in people.
- Maddie: Clark, did you ever meet your real dad?
- Clark: Sort of...
- Maddie: Was he bad like mine?
- Clark: Maybe worse. But just because he gave me life doesn't mean I'm anything like him. See, the thing is, Maddie, anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad.
- Lionel: I've been expecting you, Kal-El.
- Clark: How long have you known?
- Lionel: From the moment I held in my hand the crystal that helped to create your Fortress of Solitude.
- Clark: The one that put you in a coma.
- Lionel: Coma? I like to think of it as... a state of contemplative repose.
- Clark: You've known my secret for almost a year.
- Lionel: Yes.
- Clark: Why haven't you done anything?
- Lionel: What? Expose you to the world? A strange visitor from another planet? I've tried to tell you--I am not your enemy. To reveal your secret would change your destiny. And it would harm someone I care about very deeply.
- Clark: You had a choice: To kill my mother or to kill yourself.
- Lionel: I could never harm your mother. There was no choice.
- Clark: Yeah. [pause] Unless you knew the gun wasn't loaded.
- Lionel: You have no reason to believe anything I say. I realize that. I hope eventually you will come to trust me. I only want what's best for you and your mother, son.
- Clark: [angrily] You don't call me that. Jonathan Kent was my father.
- Lionel: No. I'm not trying to take his place.
- Clark: You couldn't. My mother seems to think there may be some good in you, but I'm not so sure.
- Lionel: It takes time, Clark. Maybe you will be.
- Clark: Or maybe you'll just show your true colors. Secret or no secret, you stay away from my mother, or you'll wish I'd never saved your life.
- Lionel: It was you, Lex. I know it.
- Lex: What?
- Lionel: Disabling my limo in the path of an oncoming train. You know that kind of melodrama went out of style with silent movies.
- Lex: I may not like you very much, Dad, but you’re a valuable asset to LuthorCorp. Killing you would hurt the bottom line.
- Lionel: Your concern is truly touching.
- Lionel: Well I'm just thankful the elevator safety breaks slowed us down enough to survive the fall.
- Lex: Yeah, you should be. Especially since Cole disabled them.
- Lionel: That's enough to make a man believe in miracles. Isn't, son?
- Lex: I don't suppose Clark had any thing to do with that divine intervention?
- Chloe: [about Lionel] Why don't you let me use that as an in, you know, to find out what he's really up to?
- Clark: What if he finds out what you're up to? It's too risky.
- Chloe: Oh, and waiting for Darth Luthor to hatch his evil plan isn't?
- Chloe: Come on, Clark. Pick up the pace-- somewhere between a brisk walk and super speed. The star witness testifies in fifteen minutes.
- Clark: Not that I mind being your "Boy Friday" and all, but I don't understand why you need an escort.
- Chloe: I don't. I just thought a nice little field trip to the courthouse might help reignite that journalism spark.
- Clark: I hate to break it [Chloe gives Clark a press pass] to you, but my ace-reporter days ended when I left The Torch.
- Chloe: All right, then consider it a much needed get-off-the-farm pass. Look, Clark, I know this has been the year from hell -- and that was before you broke up with Lana. There are only so many days you can hole yourself up in that loft before I pull an intervention.
- Clark: I am not holed up. It's just... ever since I found out Lionel knows my secret I've been waiting for a bomb to go off.
- Chloe: Well, don't duck and cover just yet. For all we know, he may never even light the fuse.
- Clark: This is Lionel Luthor we're talking about.
- Lois: Official warning -- I'm a third degree black belt. That means I can't be held liable for any funeral costs.
- Martha: So, how are you? Clark told me what happened.
- Lois: Me? I'm fine. Getting swept off my feet by a notorious hit man is my way of living la vida loca.
- Clark: I guess this a bad time to ask for a favor?
- Chloe: Are you kidding me? The amount of times you saved my butt you can pull a coin from the favor bank anytime you need. What's up?
- Clark: Somebody sent me a 50-inch plasma with all the bells and whistles; forgot to sign the gift card.
- Chloe: Clark, that's not a problem. That's winning the Trifecta. When's movie night?
- Lana: Actually, I wasn't your only visitor. Clark stopped by earlier.
- Lex: Really?
- Lana: Yeah.
- Lex: It's too bad it takes a near-death experience to bring old friends together.
- [Clark and Chloe sneak into Lionel's office at night.]
- Clark: Let's look for anything my dad might be warning me about.
- Chloe: Okay, it might take a minute. I can't exactly search for a file called "My Evil Scheme".
- [Clark is choking Lionel with Fine [as Jonathan] behind him]
- Fine [as Jonathan]: Yeah, so go on, son, and avenge my death.
- Lionel: Your father would never make you a murderer, Clark.
- Fine [as Jonathan]: Kill him!
- Lex: One more thing, Clark. Lana called me. I don't want to hear you rifling through her stuff like a crazy roommate again. If you want something from me, don't go running to Lana to find it. You really crossed the line.
- Clark: All those years we were friends, were you just waiting for me to step aside, so you could swoop in and make your move?
- Lex: I don't know, Clark. All those years you told Lana you loved her, were you just waiting to walk away and break her heart? Look, there's a natural tendency to blame the person who's replaced you. I get that. But I didn't take Lana from you. You lost her all by yourself.
- Lois: I thought you would be outside Lana's dorm with your binoculars by now.
- Clark: I appreciate your concern, but Lana and I are none of your business.
- Lois: Please, Smallville, I've had three exes put under military surveillance. I'm hardly qualified to deal out post-relationship tact. But...it's for some tough love. Lana's going to move on.
- Clark: She already has -- Lex.
- Lois: And it sucks, but you gotta trust your gut that you did this for a reason. For whatever reasons guys have for dumping hot, smart, fun girls these days. Look, give her some space, Clark. Your whole night-stalker routine? That's gonna any good feelings that Lana has for you.
- Clark: If there are any.
- Lois: Look, sometimes you gotta tuck your feelings away until it's the right time. Like stuffing dollars into a piggy bank for a bike you can't quite afford.
- Clark: Except I can't quite imagine there is anyone is out there.
- Lois: Oh, you never know, Clark. Even if you finally crack open that piggy bank, you found all this time you haven't been saving for a bike. You been really saving it for a Harley.
- Clark: There are times when think you don't know me at all...and others where I think you know me better than anyone.
- Lois: That's what I'm here for, Smallville -- one save at a time.
- Professor Fine: Humans. They are so fragile. They'll never survive without their technology, no matter how crude. Take that away and they'll devolve back to the animals they really are.
- Clark: If you thought this friendship was so doomed from the beginning, then why did you fight so hard to keep it?
- Lex: Because I wanted everything you had; the family, the inconspicuous life, the loyal girlfriend. Well, at least I walked away with the part you love the most.
- Clark: Jor-El wants me to kill the person who will be the vessel. Zod will possess a human form, destroy Earth just as he did Krypton. But I can't kill anyone. You of all people should know that.
- Lionel: Clark, the real test of a hero is knowing when the greater good will be served by an evil act. To save the Earth, the cost of one life is the price that must be paid.
- Clark: Even if that life is your son?
- Lex: Ever since that day on the bridge, you've always seen yourself as my savior; the one thing that would pull me off the dark path I'd started. See, that's why you cling to the idea that there's still some good in me. You don't want to face the fact that you might have failed.
- Clark: Or maybe I just can't believe that someone would have so little willpower.
- Lex: It's a little hard to compete with the iron willpower it takes to kill one of your best friends.
- Zod [in Lex]: You have your father's eyes... hello, Kal-El.
- Clark: Where's Lex?
- Zod [in Lex]: Lex is dead.
- Clark: Why are you here?
- Zod [in Lex]: For the same reason as anyone who'd been imprisoned like a beast. Revenge. Your father banished me to an eternal hell, trying to save a doomed race. But, in the end, the only survivor of his pathetic crusade was his son.
- Clark: Then this is between us. These people have done nothing to harm you.
- Zod [in Lex]: No. But you feel no pain greater than to see others in agony.
- Clark: I won't let you destroy this planet like you did Krypton.
- Zod [in Lex]: You don't have a choice. Unless you join me.
- Clark: I'll never join you.
- Zod [in Lex]: I hope that's a decision you'll be able to live with... forever.
- Martha: Every world needs its heroes, Clark. They inspire us to be better than we are. And they protect us from the darkness that's just around the corner.
- Martha: I've lost my husband and now my son because of your games!
- Jor-El: We have both lost much, Martha Kent. But you must put aside your anguish if you wish to save your world.
- Raya: Zod is a soldier. He will kill you.
- Clark: If there was a way for you to save everyone you loved, wouldn't you risk dying?
- Raya: You truly are your father's son.
- Zod [in Lex]: So easily beaten. Disappointing.
- Clark: I won't let you destroy Earth, like you did Krypton.
- Zod [in Lex]: Jor-El couldn't stop me, and neither will his son.
- Clark: Then I'll die trying.
- Zod [in Lex]: But you won't be the only one. These humans you care so much about... swear your allegiance to me, and I'll allow the ones you love the most to live...Kneel before Zod.
- Lex: Look, I can never make up for what happened. All I can do is move forward and try to rebuild everything I've damaged.
- Lana: That might not be easy.
- Lex: Well, nothing worth it ever is.
- Lex: Well I forgot what a concerned parent you are. That's why you're having me followed, isn't it? To make sure I don't destroy the rest of the world?
- Lionel: If I were having you followed, son, you would never know it. I can guarantee you that.
- Chloe: When you escaped from that Kryptonian Land of the Lost, I bet you didn’t think that you’d be rewarded by having to save Lex Luthor while battling a raging head cold, huh?
- Clark: Not exactly the goodbye gift I was expecting, no.
- Chloe: I guess heroes don’t get sick days.
- Chloe: Clark, with a sneeze like yours, that says a lot about your lung capacity. Now just take a really deep breath and blow it out as hard as you can.
- Clark: That's a steel door, it's not a birthday cake.
- Chloe: I don't see anything else working. Come on, let's see what you got. Huff, puff, and blow this door down. [Clark blows] Good thing you didn't have garlic today.
- Chloe: You just take care of that cold. We've enough natural disasters around here without having to worry about Hurricane Clark looming off the coast.
- Lois: Miracles really do happen: man walked on the moon, call waiting was created, and Lois Lane got her first by-line on the front page of the Inquisitor.
- Chloe: Hey, that's great, Lo. I don't know how I feel about the alien angle, but...
- Lois: I wasn't too crazy about the E.T. spin, either, but my editor insisted it'd help sell papers, so...
- Clark: Well, let's hear it for journalistic integrity.
- Lois: Look, I swear, you guys, when I was writing that article, I don't know... I don't think I've ever been happier in my life. The thrill of discovery, the clacking of keys, the scent of fresh ink. Yeah, I think I've finally found my calling.
- Lex: Happiness is just a feeling of euphoria. It's your brain chemistry going into overdrive. That's why so many relationships fail when the honeymoon ends and reality sets in.
- Lana: Wow, have you always been such a romantic?
- Clark: Hey, how goes life living with Lois?
- Chloe: Closer to coffee, further from sanity, but, you know, until Metropolis University reopens, I guess... what is it they say about a gift horse?
- Clark: "Stay away from the mouth," which is difficult because Lois uses hers so much.
- Lex: You've always had an eye for beauty. It's a Latin name, formositas falsus. "Beauty that belies a dark nature."
- Clark: So, even your plants have hidden agendas.
- Lex: Well, I guess it all comes down to survival of the fittest. Doesn't it?
- Clark: A strange vine has cropped up over the ridge at Lone Pine. It's attacking people.
- Lex: And naturally you came to my little shop of horrors to foil my ingenious plot to repopulate the planet with vegetation. Sorry, Clark. I'm all out of evil.
- Lois: [to Oliver] Well, I wasn't going to give it to you, but the tights... you're totally pulling it off.
- Lex: You should see him in a tutu.
- Oliver Queen: Lex Luthor... with a girl that he doesn't have to inflate.
- Gloria: Kryptonians, always so hard and cold.
- Clark: You can't go home. I can't let you stay. What are we gonna do?
- Gloria: We'll have to let nature decide.
- Oliver: This is funny. You know, the way Lois talked about you, I thought you were gonna be a little bit more of a...
- Clark: Little more what? Of a geek?
- Lois: Well, you're not exactly jumping the velvet ropes at nightclubs, so...
- Clark: It's really nice to see that Lois has found someone who can overlook her personality.
- Oliver: Oh, don't worry about it, Clark. If I lived under the same roof with such a beautiful woman, I probably would mask my feelings in sarcasm, too.
- Oliver: [discussing Lois investigating the Green Arrow] Look, forget about this guy for the weekend. I can have you in Cancun by sunset, sipping margaritas.
- Lois: Well, as much as I'd love to be your beach bimbo, the only person I'll be spending my weekend with is into leather and has a perverted fetish for archery.
- Green Arrow: Looks like I'm not the only one with a secret. I hate to break it to you, tough guy, but you're on the wrong side.
- Clark: I'm not sure the police would agree.
- Green Arrow: Look around you. The days of the good guy running the show are over.
- Chloe: So, how did you let this guy slip through your fingers?
- Clark: This Green Arrow Bandit's got a lot of gadgets.
- Chloe: Gadgets? Against the Man of Steel?
- Clark: He's good, all right?
- Chloe: Fine, backing off. The Green Arrow Bandit? Is that really the name Lois came up with? If you ask me, I'd lose the "Bandit," but, not my story.
- Green Arrow: I saved you.
- Lois: Yeah, from goons who were trying to find you. They're not the only one with a "V" for vendetta on your little leather ass.
- Green Arrow: Little? I've been really working the glutes lately, too.
- Lois: Did the humor come with the costume?
- Green Arrow: Did the Tomb Raider routine come from wanting daddy's attention?
- Oliver: Clark, you have abilities I couldn't even dream of. And I admire that you use them to save the people you're close to.
- Clark: But?
- Oliver: But there's a whole world of people out there, Clark. They need us. With your potential... you can't wait for them to come to you. When you're ready to do something about that, you let me know.
- Oliver: Clark, I was wondering if my security system would keep someone like you out.
- Clark: Looks like you need an upgrade.
- Oliver: Or you need to learn how to knock.
- Oliver: I was thinking about developing a boxing-glove arrow, and then I thought, "come up with something a little fancier." [shoots an arrow] Contained Electromagnetic Pulse. Knocks out everything electrical within an 8-foot radius: cameras, laser systems... pacemakers. That last one was a joke, Clark.
- Clark: I'm laughing on the inside.
- Oliver: Maybe we'll get lucky one day and it'll bubble to the surface.
- Young Lex: What are you going do?
- Duncan: I'm going help people, like Warrior Angel.
- Young Lex: You better hit the gym. Spandex is tough to pull off.
- Lois: We've all done things we're not proud of. I just wish that Oliver didn't feel like he had to hide it from me.
- Clark: You know, sometimes in order to protect the people we love, we keep secrets.
- Lois: That is... totally retarded.
- Clark: Making the wrong choices and living with the consequences... it's not easy, is it?
- Oliver: Speaking from experience, huh?
- Clark: More than I'd like.
- Oliver: You know, we all make bad choices, Clark. All we can do is hope to make the right ones in the future, right?
- Chloe: Jimmy, this isn't a story. It's a hunch. Besides what were you doing playing stalker-azzi in the middle of the night following Lex Luthor around?
- Jimmy Olsen: Being proactive, hopefully nailing a front-page shot. You don't think some back-alley hand-off is suspicious?
- Chloe: I think Lex Luthor getting out of bed in the morning is suspicious.
- Clark: I haven't been the best son.
- Raya: Your father was hard on himself, too. He felt guilty that he couldn't save Krypton. His only redemption was sending you to save Earth.
- Clark: Save it from what?
- Raya: Extinction. Your civilization is going to destroy itself, just like Krypton. You should know this. It was part of your training.
- Clark: I haven't started my training. Now the Fortress is damaged. Jor-El tried to warn me, but I didn't listen. I mean, how could I trust someone who brought so much pain into my life?
- Raya: Pain is a part of anyone's journey, Kal-El. You can't escape it. You must accept your destiny.
- Baern: So this is Jor-El's famed Fortress of knowledge. I thought it'd be bigger.
- Clark: It doesn't matter. You won't be staying long.
- Baern: Big talk, big man. I'm surprised you're still standing. I guess Jor-El was right about how the yellow sun affects you Kryptonian cockroaches. But I'm back. And now, I'm supersized. This is the perfect place for the fall of the House of El. Paying for the sins of your father can be a bitch.
- Martha: It looks like Krypton gave us more than one hero.
- Clark: Mom, I know how much you love me and how much dad... but I've always felt different. Because I am. And Raya was the first person I ever met who could really understand that. And I don't think I ever really thought about what I'd lost... a family, a whole race of people who were just like me. For the first time, I'm ready to stop running from who I really am... from my destiny
- Lex: What do you think is faster, an arrow or a bullet?
- Green Arrow: There's only one way to find out.
- Clark: You're looking awfully healthy.
- Oliver: It's called exercise, Clark. It's something we mere mortals have to do from time to time.
- Clark: According to the Daily Planet, the Green Arrow was shot last night.
- Oliver: If I was shot, don't you think I'd be laying in a hospital or a morgue? I'm not bulletproof like you are, Clark.
- Oliver: Apparently, you were too busy using your powers to bale hay than to realize there's a crime wave in Metropolis. Let me ask you a question. Are you ever gonna get off your ass and finally do something for a change?
- Clark: I didn't come here to be insulted.
- Oliver: Well you know what? There's the door. I don't remember you being invited.
- Clark: Oliver, what's going on with you?
- Oliver: Clark, I don't need to take advice from someone whose only worry in life is to protect his own identity.
- Clark: Oliver, you're not a killer!
- Oliver: No, but he is, Clark. You and I both know the world's a better place without Lex Luthor.
- Clark: That's not for us to decide.
- Clark: What made you come to your senses?
- Oliver: Actually, you did. This whole time, I just wanted to be like Clark Kent, you know? I wanted to... I wanted to have the ability to bring justice to the world without having to worry about getting killed in the process. And then something occurred to me, and I realized that Clark Kent would never take another man's life. I came within an inch of doing just that. I'm not even in your league.
- Clark: Oliver, you do a lot of good in this world. You don't need to be indestructible to be a hero.
- Chloe: [to Clark] Look, I understand that you feel like all these psychopathic space invaders are your fault, but you can't keep it all inside. You feel the need to carry the world on your shoulders, and that's noble. But there are other people out there who want to help you fight the good fight, and you need to let them in. Because sometimes even heroes need to be saved.
- Lex: I thought I told you you're no longer a welcome guest at the mansion.
- Clark: Trust me, Lex, I don't want to be here either. But after what you've done...
- Lex: And exactly what did I do? Did I swat a fly with too much force?
- Chloe: Come on, Clark, you put a psycho killer away and you reunited a mother with her son. I mean, there are only so many hours in the day.
- Clark: Well, see, that's the thing. No matter how many people I save, I can't solve the world's problems.
- Chloe: I don't know anyone else who does more for this world than you.
- Clark: You realize the only reason Lex is doing this is to wash his hands of it.
- Lana: Lex had no idea what was going on on that farm.
- Clark: Lana, you don't believe that.
- Lana: Unlike some people I know, Lex doesn't lie to me.
- Clark: Or he just wants his name clear of murder and slavery, so he sends a messenger to do his cleanup work.
- Lois: I don't get it. Of all the photographers in Metropolis, how is it that you end up with the first shots of our merry archer?
- Jimmy: My connections.
- Lois: No. Really.
- Jimmy: Uh, well, the guy doesn't get out of the Suicide Slums much, so I just hung out there for a few weeks... in my car with my pepper spray and the doors locked.
- Lois: This is it? A bunch of arms and legs? Nice work, hotshot. I mean, you didn't even manage to catch one shot of his face. All these tell me about Green Arrow is that he needs a band-aid.
- Jimmy: Preliminary investigation is calling it suicide, but how's a guy who's larger than life drown in two feet of water?
- Chloe: Well, his career was over. And Lake was right; the coroner's report says that Dawson was juiced up on muscle mixers.
- Jimmy: Chloe, come on, you're going to tell me that someone on a 'roid rage is going to lie down in a koi pond and call it a day?
- Chloe: (sees the picture of Lois' kiss with Green Arrow) Oh, I feel dirty...
- Jimmy: Think about how Oliver feels. Lois and Clark put this whole scheme together because they thought Oliver was Green Arrow, but then-- pow!-- the poor sucker catches her sucking lip with leather daddy.
- Clark: People keep secrets for a reason.
- Lois: I don't know. If you ask me, I think a secret is just a big loophole in the whole "thou shall not lie" clause.
- Clark: There's just no gray area with you, is there?
- Lois: Not when someone I thought I knew better than anyone has been keeping the biggest secret of all.
- Clark: What are you talking about?
- Lois: What would you do if one day you realized someone close to you had a serious hero complex?
- Clark: Hero complex?
- Lois: Hiding his true identity from everyone he supposedly cares about? You can't tell me you wouldn't find something wrong with that.
- Clark: Who exactly are we talking about?
- Chloe: Clark, before you unload your anger on me, can I just say that I think it is incredibly unfair that everyone trusts me to keep their secrets, and then they turn around and they throw me attitude for keeping someone else's secret! Look, I'm sorry that I had to take a two-second breather from hiding the fact that you are an alien from another planet to protect someone else for a change! God! [Clark hugs her] You had that coming, you know?
- Clark: For the record... I prefer "intergalactic traveler" over "alien from another planet."
- Chloe: The craziest part is he chucked a guy across an alley, right? [Lois: Oh yeah] And then supersped away. I mean, WHO does that?
- Clark: Hmm. [pause] It's a good thing when Oliver showed up when he did. Then you know for sure.
- Chloe: Oh, she knew before he showed up.
- Clark: You did?
- Chloe: Ask her how.
- Clark: How?
- Lois: I kissed him.
- Chloe: Isn't that romantic? [Clark sighs and nods] Oh, I'm sorry Lois. Finish the story. [Clark tries to interrupt] This is the best part.
- Lois: Hmmm. Well, he was holding me in his arms, and - Ollie's a good kisser, don't get me wrong - but that Green Arrow? He could teach Ollie a thing or two.
- Oliver: Rain check?
- Lois: Sure. I'll just put it next to the rest of the umbrellas you keep handing me. I mean, is it just me or is this relationship all interruptus and no coitus?
- Bart: I want a lawyer.
- Lex: And I want a ponytail! Disappointment abounds.
- Victor: Ollie found me. I was living on the streets. He gave me a warm meal, roof over my head.... and a reason to go on living.
- Oliver: Did he just say something nice about me?
- A.C.: Maybe he's starting to rust.
- Clark: A.C., how'd you fall into all this?
- A.C.: I got into a little trouble sinking a whaler off the coast of Japan.
- Victor: A little trouble? That's what you're gonna go with? Ollie had to save your scaly butt from getting filleted.
- A.C.: I would have gotten out of it.
- Oliver: Before or after they packed you into a thousand little tin cans?
- Victor: Well, at least he would have been dolphin-safe.
- A.C.: Fish jokes. That's all I ever get are fish jokes.
- Oliver: Green Arrow to Watchtower, Boy Scout's out of the woods.
- Clark: "Boy Scout"?
- Oliver: Maybe if you hadn't run off all half-cocked, you could have picked your own code name.
- Lex: You.
- Green Arrow: You remember. I'm touched.
- Lex: Well, it's a little hard to forget. Last time we met, you put an arrow in my chest.
- Green Arrow: You put a bullet in mine. Bygones?
- Lex: Go to hell.
- Green Arrow: You first.
- Victor: Cyborg to Aquaman. Where the hell are you fish-stick?
(A door opens and Cyborg see a lot of guards in the floor)
- A.C.: What took you so long?
- Victor: Nice! But please, put a shirt on.
- A.C.: I swim faster when I´m naked.
- Victor: I bet you do.
- A.C.: (Smiles to Cyborg) You're lucky I still have my pants on.
- Oliver: Ever since my parents died, I've jumped around from city to city, from continent to continent and in all those years, not once have I regretted leaving anyone. But then I met you.
- Lois: Then stay.
- Oliver: I can't. Because there are more important things in this world than what I want.... and what I love. Someday I can explain why.
- Lois: Don't expect me to be waiting around for that when you get back.
- Oliver: I'm not coming back, Lois. At least not any time soon. I'm sorry. I never wanted to hurt you.
- Lois: Well, you finally got around to it anyway, didn't you?
- Oliver: This is it, the moment, right? The moment that I'm gonna regret for the rest of my life, isn't it?
- Lois: Yes.
- Clark: Impulse, Cyborg, Aquaman, Green Arrow. What do you guys call your team?
- Bart: I don't know. I've been thinking, you know, that we need something cool. We need something like.... like-
- Oliver: I was thinking about something with the word "justice" in it. After all, that's what Lex is gonna get a big dose of.
- Dr. Hudson: You suffer from paranoid schizophrenia. You have for a number of years... after the death of your birth parents in the Smallville meteor shower.
- Clark: See, it's not true. My birth parents were out of town for the meteor shower.
- Dr. Hudson: You were placed in the wonderful adoptive home of the Kents. But like many children, you invented a make-believe world to help you deal with the trauma you endured. You convinced yourself that you came from another planet, that you possessed special powers and you used them to save humanity.
- John: You're not crazy, Kal-El. We don't have much time, so listen to me closely. I believe you're from another planet.
- Clark: What makes you say that?
- John: Because like you, I'm not from here. I come from Mars. You can't trust anyone.
- Clark: I know who I am!
- Dr. Hudson: I'm not sure you do. Your name is Clark Kent, not Kal-El. And Jor-El isn't your father.
- [Dr. Hudson shows Clark a bottle of soap labeled "Jorel"]
- Woman: [over an intercom] Dr. Fine, Dr. Milton Fine, please report to level three, stat.
- Dr. Hudson: When the human mind has faced tremendous emotional pain, it has no choice but to protect itself. You've taken bits and pieces of your surroundings and created an alternate universe where you feel safe and secure. Clark... in a world where you truly have no power, you chose to give yourself superpowers.
- Lana: Okay. Let's say that I am a hallucination... and that your world really does exist. I'm about to marry your greatest enemy. You're an alien from another planet who's responsible for so much tragedy. Do you really want to live in that reality?
- Clark: I don't know what to believe anymore.
- Lana: Don't you just want to take this treatment and be with me?
- Clark: Of course I want to be with you... more than you could ever imagine.
- Lana: Then stop fighting, please. You've lived like this for so long, carried this burden of being a hero. It's time to just let go and live a normal life.
- Clark: I've never been normal.
- Lana: Your destiny isn't to save the world, Clark. It's to be with me for the rest of our lives.
- Lana: Are you gonna tell me? What's that look in your eye?
- Clark: I had a dream about you last night.
- Lana: I hope that it wasn't a nightmare.
- Clark: No! We were 10 years old and I gave you a plastic ring from of a gumball machine in Quinn's Market.
- Lana: That's sweet. What was the occasion?
- Clark: It was an engagement ring.
- Lana: So what happened next?
- Clark: [speaking softly] I woke up....
- Clark: The important part is... you were the one person who believed in me. I don't know what I'd do without you, Chloe.
- Chloe: Oh, is this when I'm supposed to cue the Barry Manilow music?
- Clark: What is it you always say about Valentine's Day? Oh, yeah. Our annual sneak peek at hell. That must have been before cupid struck.
- Chloe: Don't you think after being trapped in a front seat to the Clark/Lana opera that I deserve a good V-Day?
- Clark: You're the only person who can make me feel guilty, relieved, and a little sad all in one sentence.
- Chloe: It's a gift.
- Chloe: Lois and Clark?
- Jimmy: You got to admit, they got chemistry.
- Chloe: Yeah, so do nitroglycerin and peroxide, and I don't suggest putting them together.
- Lois: Please tell me we weren't just set up.
- Clark: Looks like it.
- Lois: Us. That's like hot fudge and halibut.
- Clark: I take it I'm the halibut.
- Lois: Naturally.
- Lois: Wait. I knew I'd kissed you before, in the alley. You're Green Arrow.
- Clark: Hardly. I was just pretending to be so you wouldn't know it was Oliver.
- Lois: Oliver? Oh, my god. All those times he disappeared... what is my deal with emotionally unavailable weekend warriors? Thank god I finally found a normal guy.
- Clark: What do you mean "normal"? Oliver's not even in the same league as me.
- Lois: You don't have to be macho just for me. I like the dorky farm boy thing.
- Clark: Dorkier than a hood and a quiver? Just because I don't wear a costume and splash my face all over the papers-
- Lois: Clark! So what if your signature move is driving a tractor? I think it's adorable.
- Clark: You know, Lois, I think that it's time for you to meet the real Clark Kent.
- Clark: [Taking Lana] C'mon Lana, if no one else in this room is gonna save you from Lex, then I will.
- Lois: [Holding Clark] I don't think so, Lana is your past.. I'm your future.
- Clark: This is the present.
- Lana: I'm not a competition.
- Clark: You are to Lex. He didn't tell you? He's always wanted everything I've ever had. And you were at the top of that list. You're just a trophy to him. And he's nothing but your consolation prize.
- Jimmy: Look, Clark, despite our differences, I think that you're a decent guy. Chloe obviously thinks that you can walk on air, so... who am I to stand in the way?
- Clark: Jimmy, hold on.
- Jimmy: But if you hurt her, I don't care how impossibly gigantic you are, I will chop you down like a cherry tree. And that, ain't no lie.
- Clark: It's nice to see that you'd risk ending up in traction to protect Chloe's honor.
- Jimmy: A girl like that... worth spending the rest of my life in a body cast.
- Clark: I feel the same way. As her friend. Nothing more, I swear.
- Martha: [to Lana] If you're taking the Luthor name, I guess armed guards and dodging the press go with the gold ring.
- Lex: Looks like you're working out some issues there.
- Clark: Just doing a little honest work, Lex. You should try it sometime.
- Lex: Why start now? My life's perfect.
- Lex: I just wanted to take a little sleigh ride down memory lane, visit the scene of the crime. Hey, here's where you took my fiancée after kidnapping her, right before you tried to kill me.
- Clark: I wasn't myself that night... I'm sorry.
- Lex: Sorry? What, that you didn't finish the job? You know, I'm still a bit fuzzy on the details, what with you trying to choke the life out of me, but what fascinates me is how after all that, Lana could still feel safe coming here.
- Clark: That was her choice. I had nothing to do with it.
- Lex: You never do. That's all right. You see, I understand the allure of trying to unravel the mystery of Clark Kent. I suffered from it once too. When I thought you mattered.
- Lex: [to Clark] What I want is to make Lana happy for the rest of her life. And I want you to be there on our wedding day... to see what you lost.
- Chloe: Face it, Clark, I'm a walking time bomb.
- Clark: Then consider me your own personal bomb squad.
- Chloe: Clark, I need you to X-ray me.
- Clark: What?
- Chloe: Clark, come on, we're both adults. Now just do it!
- Lionel: [reading Lana's letter to Lex] This will destroy Lex...I give you my word Ms. Lang, if you don't honor the promise that you gave my son, or I find out you've told anyone about this conversation I will kill Clark Kent.
- Clark: I waited for you....
- Lana: Clark!
- Clark: What happened?
- Lana: I'm..I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you...but I wanna be with Lex
- Clark: That's not true. He got to you didn't he?
- Lana: No, please just believe me and let it go.
- Clark: Let it go?...Let it go? Lana I love you....I love you!
- Chloe: Clark, slow down! I don't have enough money to hire a full-time maid to clean up every time you decide to blow in!
- Clark: What did you find?
- Clark: How could Lana do it? How could she marry Lex?
- Martha: I don't know Clark, but she made her choice.
- Clark: Or someone made it for her.
- Clark: I'm not going to punch you, Lois.
- Lois: Fine. Then you take the dive. (she punches Clark in his stomach and hurts her hand) That is not just a six-pack under your shirt! That's a steel kegger!
- Chloe: There is an old abandoned hospital on Paper Mill road, just like he said. And it's owned by--
- Clark: --LuthorCorp. It's probably another 33.1 franchise.
- Chloe: I was gonna go check it out, but I thought it would be more wise for me to come get my army of one.
- Chloe: Lex, I'm tired of playing hardball, or softball, or any ball for that matter. Game's over.
- Chloe: [on voice mail] Hey, Clark, it's me again. Where are you? I feel like your stalker ex-girlfriend, even though I was never your girlfriend. It was just an analogy - a bad one.
- Clark: I saw Lana the day of the wedding and she was gonna leave you. What did you do her?
- Lex: I don't know. The answer must have gotten lost in that dark abyss we call my soul.
- Clark: Were we ever really friends, Lex?
- Lex: I don't know. I have nothing to compare it to. You're the only real friend I've ever had, Clark. And somewhere along the way, you saw me as your nemesis, turned your back on me.
- Clark: Chloe, I've x-rayed these tunnels over a dozen times, and they all just seem to lead to Reeves Dam.
- Chloe: Maybe so, but if Lex is willing to go up against Tomb Raider for them, I can't retire my reporter's notebook just yet.
- Lana: I wonder how Martha Kent would handle hearing that you used her son as a bargaining chip? Tell me what you know.
- Lionel: Well, I see you've embraced wholeheartedly what it means to be a Luthor.
- Jimmy: I figured you could use an escape from your real-life soap opera.
- Chloe: What do you mean?
- Jimmy: Well, you live it every day, but from the outside your real life's got Cagney and Stanwyck written all over it. You've got your billionaire mogul, you got the confused damsel who chose money over love, and the mysterious best friend who shows up everywhere because he can't seem to get a real job. Not to mention the steadfast dame they all depend on.
- Chloe: Wow. A real glimpse in the mind of Jimmy Olsen. FYI, um, "dame"? Not so flattering.
- [Jimmy picks a lock]
- Chloe: When did you learn to do that?
- Jimmy: Some girls go for sports cars. I figure you're more of a lock-picking kind of girl.
- Bartender Lionel: You stroll in here with this crackerjack kid... You trying to land me in the cooler?
- Detective Clark Kent: Cool your jets, Mack. Jimmy's here just a little down on love. Ain't you, Jimmy?
- Bartender Lionel: Poor sucker. Man, dame's his poison.
- [Clark talks to Lana about Lex.]
- Clark: Lana, whatever reason you had to go through with the wedding — it was the wrong choice. You have no idea what he is capable of.
- Lana: You'd be surprised what I know.
- Clark: Then why are you still here?
- Lana: We all have our secrets, Clark. Sometimes we have to keep them to protect those we love.
- Lex: Every time I open my heart to someone, I end up getting hurt. If you ever betrayed me, I don't know what I'd do.
- Lana: I'd never hurt the man I love.
- Clark: It will be just like old times, like when you first got to Smallville
- Lois: You're just hoping to catch me in the shower again.
- [Clark lifts Lionel by his throat]
- Lionel: Clark, if Lana's spoken to you, I know what you must be thinking, but you've got to listen to me.
- Clark: I've listened to you for too long!
- Lionel: Lex is tracking a wraith from the Phantom Zone. I had to force Lana to marry him. It was the only way she could get close to him to get the information for me I need to help you.
- Clark: No. I never asked for your help. And I never will.
- Lionel: You're not a murderer. You're Kal-El.
- Clark: Don't call me by that name!
- Clark: Chloe, I told Lana my secret. She knows everything. She knows that... I'm an alien.
- Chloe: Wow. So, I guess we have a new charter member of the Clark Kent secret-keeping club... What did she say?
- Clark: She kissed me.
- Chloe: That's fantastic. You've been wanting this forever. You just... you must be on Cloud 99.
- Clark: I will be as soon as I deal with this Phantom.
- Chloe: Look, Lois, take it from someone who's gone up against the Lex Luthor army more than once. Not only will victory remain elusive, but you're almost certain to step on a land mine in the process.
- Lois: I'm the general's daughter, remember? I live for battle.
- Clark: [Clark superspeeds into Reeves Dam and pushes Lex up against the wall] She was your wife, Lex. Why did you do it?
- Lex: Now is not the time to lecture me about my marriage, Clark.
- Clark: Why'd you do it? Just tell me!
- Lex: GET YOUR HANDS OFF OF ME!
- Clark: You afraid she was gonna bring you down, or was it just too humiliating for you that she was gonna leave you? Why'd you have to kill her? Why?
- Lex: No.
- Clark: No. You don't to need act so surprised. You're the one who killed her. You put a bomb in her car. You're the one who killed her!
- Clark: I don't understand. None of this makes any sense.
- Lionel: It was when Lex was possessed with Zod. I became possessed with all your father's knowledge. I found myself writing, in Kryptonian, the symbol for power.
- Martian Manhunter: It was a beacon. The same beacon Jor-El used when he needed me.
- Clark: You knew my father?
- Martian Manhunter: I worked for Jor-El, bringing criminals to justice. When Krypton was on the verge of annihilation, he asked me to keep an eye out for you.
- Clark: Where have you been all these years?
- Martian Manhunter: Watching from a distance.
- Lionel: Your father wanted you to pass the test without any help. He wasn't to interfere unless it was absolutely necessary.
- Martian Manhunter: When you unleashed those phantoms, your life was at stake. I didn't have a choice.
- Lionel: Like what happened at the docks in Seattle.
- Clark: When that phantom infected my mind?
- Lionel: That's right.
- Martian Manhunter: Unfortunately, I've lost a step since then.
- Clark: What happened?
- Martian Manhunter: Nothing.
- [Clark opens Martian Manhunter's jacket and sees he was injured]
- Clark: That doesn't look like nothing.
- Martian Manhunter: I had a run-in with the last phantom. I have to leave Earth's atmosphere to heal, but first I must complete the job I started.
- Bizarro: Hey Clark! Do you ever wonder what would happen to all of these humans if you weren't here to play savior? I know you do; you'd just never admit it.
- Clark: You don't know anything about me.
- Bizarro: No, Clark. I know everything about you. I didn't just borrow your DNA; I have all your memories, all your thoughts, every last twisted one of them. When I'm living your life, I won't make those same mistakes.
- Clark: Lois said that one of Lex's guys may have done something to you when you were out. You wanna tell me what really happened?
- Kara: The House of El has a lot of family secrets that nobody ever discussed. As humans would say, we were... dysfunctional.
- Clark: Those doors would have opened if you had just waited!
- Kara: We don't have time to wait for ancient technology. Between the two of us, we can cover more ground. Of course, it would help if you could defy gravity. Explain to me again why you can't fly.
- Clark: I'm not sure.
- Kara: I guess the humans were right, Kal-El. Girls do mature faster than boys.
- Clark: It's all about control, which you don't have.
- Kara: Me? Get back to me when you can fly, Earth boy.
- Clark: Well, you're the one who almost lit up the whole fair.
- Kara: Has anyone ever told you're a little uptight? You definitely get that from your father.
- Kara: (wearing a bikini) Say hello to the next Miss Sweet Corn.
- Clark: Uh, listen, uh, when I talked about fitting in, I was... thinking of something with more clothes. Th-this is definitely not blending in.
- Kara: You mean "undercover."
- Clark: Yes, exactly, and this is... not covered. Um, look, can you go change, please?
- Kara: But, I-
- Clark: Now!
- Kara: Fine. (she superspeeds and changes quickly) You said "now".
- Lana: Well, I guess I don't have to ask which side of the family you're from.
- Chloe: (to Clark) You know, you're gonna have to hang a bell around your neck or something so I can at least hear when you're coming.
- Jimmy: I used to sit in the backyard and try to pick up Martian signals on my dad's ham radio.
- Kara: Umm, Martians use infrared, silly.
- Rachel: I've only seen love like that once in my life.
- Lana: What happened?
- Rachel: The director yelled "Cut."
- Chloe: Look, I know how this is gonna sound coming from me, but you and Kara are from different worlds. Just be careful, okay?
- Jimmy: Chloe, Kara is from Minnesota. It's not like she's from another planet.
- Lois: What? I can't believe you've never had famous franks before!
- Grant Gabriel: I can't believe anyone's had famous franks. That thing could survive a nuclear holocaust!
- [Grant kisses Lois.]
- Grant Gabriel: I'm glad I got that off my chest.
- Lois: Wow. If news of that spread through the mail room I'd have my name on your door by tomorrow. That's sexual harassment.
- [Lois kisses Grant.]
- Lois: But that wasn't.
- Lana: I would do anything for Clark.
- Chloe: Even kill. What a lucky guy!
- Lara: Jor-El? Is that you?
- Clark: I'm Kal-El.
- Lara: Kal-El... My son, my beautiful boy. You're a man now.
- Grant Gabriel: Ok everybody, time to stop gawking, start reporting! You're journalists, not stargazers, let's move!
- Chloe: Hey! Hey! Hey! I know the blue K is seriously cramping your style, but you don't have to grind your finger off!
- Clark: Chloe, I don't know what else to do. It's unbreakable.
- Chloe: Okay, look, considering what all the other flavors of kryptonite do, being normal may not be such a bad thing.
- Chloe: (after finding the bomb disgused as a present) Oh wow. I have the worst Secret Santa ever.
- Grant: Lois has a mysterious way of diving for a penny and coming up with the Holy Grail.
- [Bizarro finds Brainiac.]
- Bizarro: Look at yourself, you can barely catch a rat.
- Brainiac: I am the Brain InterActive Construct. No matter my form, my intellect remains formidable. Do not underestimate me.
- Bizarro: Are you telling me the truth?
- Brainiac: Lying to you would be like lying to a mollusk. There's no point.
- Bizarro: (laughs sarcastically) If this doesn't check out, I'll shove you back into the test tube myself.
- Bizarro: Jor-El! I'm searching for something, I think Kara might have brought it here.
- Jor-El: (The Fortress console lights up) Leave here at once, phantom!
- Bizarro: And what if I don't? What are you gonna do? You're just a voice Jor-El, an echo from the past, I mean what are you are gonna do.... lecture me to death?
- Jor-El: (The Fortress begins to shake) You are not welcome here!
- Bizarro: Don't worry Jor-El, I'll find what I'm looking for sooner or later.
- (Bizarro flies away)
- Green Arrow: Finder's keepers. I like the look. Italian?
- Black Canary: Why? You're thinking of trading in your tights?
- Clark: His missions are dangerous! And the fact he's taking you with him —
- Chloe: No-no-no, it was just internet interception... that ended up having a vicious ninja lady attached to it who chased me onto the roof and then almost beheaded me and went rappelling over the side of the building. Which, I've got to admit, was really smokin' cool.
- Lois: (slapping Oliver across the face) That's for breaking my heart!
- Oliver: (wincing) Really? 'Cause it felt like it was for not calling when I got back in town.
- Lois: Oh, that one will come when you're least expecting it. Will you put a shirt on or something?
- Oliver: The whole jumping to conclusions thing before you get the full story? How's that working out for you?
- Lois: Huge time-saver.
- Oliver: I missed you... more than you can possibly know.
- Lois: If you think that glistening-muscle-answering the door in your bare chest routine was gonna work... you were dead on.
- Chloe: Maybe we should call her the "Yellow Raven."
- Clark: "Black Canary" has a better ring to it.
- [Dinah is invited to join Green Arrow's Justice League.]
- Dinah Lance: I'm not really a team player.
- Oliver: Good. Then you'll fit right in.
- Lana: Everyone was so quick to turn me into Lady Macbeth when they found out that I was watching Lex. And yet, you are the second person to ask me for a favor today.
- Oliver: Lois?
- Lois: Oh, don't even think of looking at me now. So, in all those nights together, somewhere between brushing teeth and spooning in the sheets, you didn't think that it might be a good time to mention that you prowl the streets with green leather and a compound bow?
- Oliver: Well, I don't usually bring the compound bow.
- Lois: Oh, so now he's a funny hero. I can't believe you didn't tell me that you were Green Arrow!
- Oliver: Hard to imagine why when you're taking it so well.
- Lois: You think the lacerating ropes and platinum fembot... might have something to do with my lack of empathy? So, what? Little Ollie got bored with dodgeball in P.E... and decided to play William Tell? Whoa... wait a second. I kissed Green Arrow last year when you were standing there with me in the alley!
- Oliver: Yeah. I remember that with precise detail.
- Lois: I can't believe you! You, who were supposedly my boyfriend, arranged for me to be lip-locked with some wannabe hero!
- Clark: Speaking of heartbeats, you didn't have one for over 18 hours.
- Chloe:I was hoping we could skip the lecture and go straight to the "welcome back" dinner. I'm starving.
- Clark: It's 15 hours longer than the last time, Chloe. I've been sitting here, literally, trying to think about what to say at your funeral.
- Chloe: Well, let's both be glad that I'm alive, 'cause I know how much you hate giving speeches.
- Lois: What are we doing, Lex?
- Lex: No one asked you to be here, Lois.
- Lois: Trust me, I never planned on being your Sundance Kid, especially in the armpit of Motor City.
- Finley: Hey, bald man, look, is it really worth killing her to get to me?
- Lois: Rhetorical question, Lex!
- Lex: (to Pete) You know, we may have more in common than you think: we both have a friend who let us down and something tells me that you know what it's like to love a woman who's still infatuated with Clark Kent.
- Clark: [Talking about Pete]If he ingests anymore kryptonite... we both know what happens to people.
- Chloe: Present company on stand-by.
- Chloe: (to Jor-El, in the Fortress of Solitude) Out of all the planets across the universe you decided to send your only son to this one, to Earth! You trusted us to protect him! Now please, Jor-El, I need you to trust me. I love your son! He's in danger and he needs our help!
- Patricia Swann: My father often reminded me that despite the power of the sun, it's always night on half the planet. For all the good you do, there will always be darkness, people who would kill you or abuse your power for their own gain. Lionel Luthor is just one of many.
- Clark: Then why has he [Brainiac] turned his attention toward you?
- Kara: I don't know. But when we go up against him, it would be helpful if were on the same playing field. Or should I say sky?
- Clark: Not helping.
- Kara: I'm sorry, Yeah, I know. It… but it's just really easy. Just up, up and away.
- Lois: Okay. Better make sure that camera is loaded with ammo because I got tomorrow's headline. "Daughter of Nobel-Winning Astronomer Murdered."
- Jimmy: That Swann woman they fished out of the lake last night?
- Lois: Yeah.
- Jimmy: I thought that she drowned.
- Lois: More like sank. Kind of hard to swim after you've been shot.
- Lionel: No, I've repented.
- Chloe: That's right, you're an intensely spiritual man. You amassed all the power a human could until you found out about Clark. Befriending him is the closest thing you'll get to seeing God.
- Chloe: Long night. It's good to see the sun again.
- Clark: It's too bad Lionel's not here to see it.
- Chloe: Lex closed the funeral to any and all guests. In other word's Lex is the only one invited.
- Clark: Lionel deserves better.
- Chloe: At least we know how Lionel truly felt about you. I mean, he thought of you as his second son.
- Clark: Another person who treated me like a son and died because of it.
- Chloe: Clark-
- Clark: -Jor-El died getting me on that ship. My dad died of a heart attack from the powers he took on protecting me. And now Lionel's been murdered for protecting my secret.
- Chloe: They did die for you, Clark. But ultimately, they died for all of us. There was a reason those men were in your life. Each of them added something to the man that you are today.
- Clark: How could Lex have done it? How does a son... ...murder his own father?
- Chloe: Total absence of love. Some say that's the definition of evil. You have to get those keys away from Lex, Clark, before he kills anyone else.
- Clark: He's not gonna to have the chance. I won't let him.
- Chloe: You know, having a gang of superheroes is great in theory, but no one ever considers the shipping costs.
- Chloe: (to Clark) You do realize that your greatest superpower is your ability to win me over with just one look, no matter how ridiculous you sound, right?
- Lois: (rummaging through a closet) Olsen's roommate's about the right size —
- Clark: Lois, we don't have time for this.
- Lois: Then stop standing around. Strip!
(Clark averts his gaze, looking uncomfortable)
- Lois: Kent, this is no time to be modest. Armageddon's minutes away.
- Brainiac: You can't stop me, Kal-El. There's no yellow sun to charge you here. You're not in Kansas anymore.
- Clark: Where were you taking it?
- Jimmy: Oh, I guess you didn't get the memo that says, "Why should I tell you?"
(Clark picks him up and slams him into the shelves)
- Jimmy: Oh... that's a good answer.
- Chloe: (to Clark) Sorry I couldn't get here faster but, you know... I have to drive.
- Clark: That's the last thing I need. Someone going around killing people in my name.
- Chloe: That's probably how God felt about the Crusades.
(after Chloe turns up unexpectedly in Montreal)
- Clark: Chloe. How did you...
- Chloe: Oliver's jet — fringe benefit of being a hero hag.
- Lex Luthor: "I loved you like a brother, Clark, but I'm sorry it had to end this way."
- Chloe: (exposes Kara to kryptonite) Why isn't it working?
- Brainiac-as-Kara: Check the expiration date?
- Lex: (looking at the Fortress) I must admit, Clark. This is a big step up from the barn.
- Brainiac: (to Chloe after her powers foiled his attempt to infect her) What the hell are you?!
- Jimmy: I found out something about those mystery expeditions he's been sending to the North Pole.
- Lois: Either he's planning a hostile takeover of Santa's workshop, or he's doing something illegal. And since I'm sure Lex isn't into the Christmas spirit, what's the scoop.
- Lois: I can’t believe it, one alarm clock malfunction and suddenly you’re demoted and sent to deliverance territory. What the hell are you doing here?
- Clark: I’m…
- Man: You know him?
- Lois: Yes.
- Clark: No.
- Lois: He wishes he didn’t know me. I thought I dropped you at your cell.
- Man: We’ll take him back.
- Lois: And send me to the Sahara? One demotion this week is enough.
- Man: I’ll handle him.
- Lois: What are you doing here.
- Clark: I heard they have good espresso.
- Lois: You disappear for a month and come back with a sense of humor?
- Clark: I’ve been tracking Chloe down, the question is how did you get here?
- Lois: Feminine charm.
- Clark: (scoffs)
- Lois: Yes I do have some.
- Clark: Great job protecting your short supply of it.
- Lois: Why don’t you give your stand up a rest and do exactly as I tell you, that way we can find Chloe and stay alive at the same time.
- Clark: You mind not pointing that thing at me?
- Lois: God Clark, I’m not aiming at you. What?! I’m not! Besides it’s only your kneecap.
- Clark: Well that makes me feel a lot better.
- Lois: Look I know that you’re nervous Smallville but you gotta remember I grew up around green berets and navy seals not cornstalks and jersey cows. So stick with me, I’ll protect you, you’ll be fine.
- Clark: Chloe.
- Lois: Out of the way Smallville. Chloe!
- Chloe: Lois look behind you, watch out!
- Clark: Oh, I’m sorry is this bothering you?
- Lois: The chair or you in it?
- Clark: Lois, I um… I wanted to say, I thought you did well out there. You really earned your stripes at your dad’s boot camp.
- Lois: Thanks. And as for you, you actually surprised me. I mean for your first attempt at heroism.
- Clark: Well I better get going. I’ll see you bright and early Monday morning.
- Lois: Woah, woah, why Monday? What do you mean bright and early?
- Clark: Lois. You’re the one that gave me the application. You’re looking at the newest recruit for the Daily Planet.
- Lois: That’s great. What made you change your mind?
- Clark: I guess I wanted to be in the middle of the action.
- Lois: Good for you. So, are you going to be starting down in the mailroom?
- Clark: I’m going to be a little closer to home. Looks like we’re going to be neighbors Lane.
- Lois: You gotta be kidding me.
- Oliver: I'd be careful, Clark. Pretty soon, you'll be sporting a homemade costume and leading a double identity just like the rest of us.
- Dinah: You might want to try a little more formfitting.
- Lois: But what's with the wardrobe malfunction?
- Clark: What? This is a nice shirt.
- Lois: Human Resources is going to be down here any minute, and you do not want to meet them looking like... the brawny lumberjack.
- Clark: I'm Clark Kent.
- Davis Bloome: Davis Bloome. I met your fiancée. Clark, congratulations. She's a real catch.
- Clark: I'm getting married?
- Davis Bloome: Well, I thought that-- 'cause I thought you and Chloe were together, and you seemed pretty close. When she said she was engaged...
- Clark: Chloe's engaged?
- Davis Bloome: Oh, man, okay, my brain's completely gone completely D.O.A. Clark, she said she hadn't told anyone yet. Do me a favor. Don't tell her I said anything.
- Clark: I won't reveal my source.
- Note: This is in reference to one of "Lois Lane's Rules to Journalism"
- Lois: Find me a 24-hour market. I need a sports drink, as much vitamin B as you can get your hands on, and one dill pickle. Let's go! Tick tock!
- Oliver: (capturing a centipede) All right, here's the deal. Normally I don't eat anything with more than 99 legs on it, but I haven't eaten in days. Kind of a bummer for both of us, right?
- Lois: You know endorphins? They're hormones that are released when the body performs a certain activity.
- Clark: Like when you play a sport.
- Lois: Or there's another kind of activity two people share, repetitive motion, builds to a climax.
- Clark: Thank you.
- Chloe: (to Clark) Hey. Am I glad to see you. Now that Lois is riding shotgun in your Mystery Machine, your old sidekick's jonesing for a Scooby clue. Let me see that concrete crop circle.
- Clark: (to a hung-over Lois) Don't worry, you got changed all by yourself. In the middle of the kitchen, for like an hour.
- (entering the Talon apartment, the morning after)
- Lois: Chloe?
- Clark: Jimmy?
- Lois: You know what Lois likes to see when she comes home? Pants. Pants on everyone.
- Oliver: (walking in on Lois and Clark at the jewelry store) What are you two doing here?
- Lois: Oliver! Uh, didn't get the invitation yet?
- Oliver: Invitation to what?
- Lois: Uh, tell him, cupcake.
- Clark: (shooting Lois a look) Wh... Lois and I are... we're getting married.
- Lois: Oh my God, Chloe, I am so sorry. I mean, I know my face is under "faux pas" in the dictionary, but this is a whole new low.
- Chloe: I would say that this is a close second behind the time you crashed Lana's engagement party. In fact, you may want to start avoiding engagement parties altogether.
- John Jones: Where'd you get this list?
- Clark: I memorized it off Chloe's desk.
- John Jones: I didn't realize that photographic memory was among of your abilities.
- Clark: It's more like speed-reading, but let's not split hairs.
- John Jones: She couldn't just *give* you a copy?
- Clark: Chloe and I don't always see eye to eye on this one.
- John Jones: [refers to Lois] Well, what about your mouthy cohort? She hasn't poked her nose into this one, either.
- Clark: She's on assignment, which is code for "Monster Truck Rally in Lubbock."
- John Jones: And I assume your emerald ally and his super friends are still on hiatus, which leaves you.
- Clark: Solo. I get it.
- Lois: Well, if you like covering robbery and homicide, you've come to the right place. The crime rate's so high there's actually a "no vacancy sign" in front of county jail.
- Sebastian: Really? Metropolis seems like a safe haven compared to some of the places I've covered.
- Lois: Really? Like where, the gates of Hell?
- Clark: Tell me you're sober.
- Oliver: Let me tell you something— I wish I wasn't sober. I can be in a cabana in Aruba right now. Instead, I'm in the middle of downtown on a rooftop with you guys.
- Clark: You didn't hear me complain when I had to put on green leather to protect your identity.
- Oliver: Clark, you made out with my girlfriend, man. What did you have to complain about?
- Lois: I don't do too well with fortune tellers. The last one I went to see, told me I was destined to fall for a guy who flies a lot and likes to wear tights. So I'm just waiting for my cross-dressing pilot to make his landing
- Oliver: Hallmark didn't have any "Welcome back to Earth" cards. So...
- Clark: It's nice to see everyone has a key to this place.
- Tess: Who do you work for?
- Green Arrow: I'm self-employed. It's sort of an occupational safety hazard.
- Tess: Oh. Well, then you know that getting blood out of leather can be a total bitch.
- Faora-as-Lois: You don't recognize me... but you are the spitting image of your father.
- Davis: Okay. Lois, you gotta reason with me. What kind of drugs did you take--pills, powder, paste? Don't tell me you injected anything.
- Oliver: That still doesn't explain how you're hacking into that crystal, Chloe. It's not hooked up to anything, there's no computer here.
- Chloe: Do I tell you how to shoot your arrows? I don't think so.
- Chloe: You know, Oliver, for a guy with three cellphones, you sure are hard to get a hold of.
- Chloe: Jimmy, I'm impressed. You managed to balance out singles, couples, and families while keeping all of the exes at different tables, and still keeping the kids' tables away from the cake. You truly are the Zen master of seating charts.
- Jimmy: More the master of musical chairs.
- Jimmy: You know, speaking of the right person, since you don't have a plus-one tonight, I'd like you to meet one of my friends. Name's Clark Kent. You heard of him?
- Lois: Better wear your bow and arrow, Cupid. That bumbling tadpole is not my Prince Charming.
- Jimmy: Well, maybe you just need to jump his lily pad and plant one on him. Come on. I've seen the way you two look at each other.
- Lois: [scoffs] You need to get your eyesight checked, Olsen. Clark doesn't like me. He likes... driving me crazy.
- Jimmy: Flirtation 101, Lane. I mean, that's what a guy does when he's into a girl.
- Lois: Really?
- Jimmy: Trust me. Lois and Clark would be great together. I can feel it in my gut.
- Lois: Well, take some Ex-Lax, get over it.
- Lois: And remember what the General always says: "Marriage is the only war where you get to sleep with the enemy." (she pauses) You can edit that last part out, right?
- Lana: So Oliver Queen moonlights as Green Arrow. Does Clark know about you?
- Oliver: I think I can safely say he knows more of my secrets than he does yours. You're not going to tell me you're down here on vacation fishing for marlin, are you?
- Lana: We both know that two hours ago more than 430,000 megagigs of LuthorCorp RAM and ethernet cables were running through this place.
- Oliver: Sounds like we each came here with a score to settle.
- Clark: Hey, it's nice to see the kinder, gentler Chloe.
- Chloe: Nothing like having a binary bad guy cleansed from your system to put a spring back in your step.
- Chloe: You know I gotta say being at the mercy of modern technology really sucks. (Clark gives her a strange look) I know, I know, I'm happy to be Brainiac-free but, my evil upgrade was really... convenient.
- Tess: That's a ballsy move, sitting in the boss' chair. Either you have good news for me, or you like to live dangerously close to the edge. (discovers her guard is dead) I guess it's the latter.
- Lana: (laughing) Please tell me that the bed was already wobbly.
- Clark: Lana, it's made of solid oak. What do you say we find out how strong the floor is?
- Lois: What guns you got in your arsenal?
- Clark: (Sighs)I guess I might as well just throw it all out there. I can blast fire out of my eyes.
- Lois: Okay...
- Clark: I can hear a dog barking from ten miles away. I can see through solid objects and I can run faster than the speed of sound.
- Lois: Wait. Rewind. (discreetly covers herself) Expand on your whole... see-through-things... thing.
- Clark: Did Lex talk to you about me?
- Tess: He kept a journal.
- Lois: Hey! One year closer to the sweet release of death!
- Chloe: How wonderfully morbid.
- Zatanna: Rough birthday, huh?
- Chloe: You ever seen the napalm scene in Apocalypse Now? More fire, less cake.
- Zatanna: I can't ever totally make it up to you or your friends but I would like to try to make sure that something like this doesn't happen again.
- Oliver: Here's a thought... don't do it again.
- Chloe-as-Lois: It's okay. I'm Chloe.
- (Clark gives Chloe-as-Lois a skeptical look)
- Chloe-as-Lois: Stood-her-up-at-formal Chloe. Planted-one-on-you-because-Zod-was-ending-the-world Chloe.
- (Clark looks even more skeptical)
- Chloe-as-Lois: Krypton, Jor-El, Fortress, Brainiac Chloe!
- Clark: (truth dawning) Chloe!?!
- Chloe-as-Lois: Bingo.
- Chloe: You already know what you really want. We all do. We just don't listen.
- Oliver: And you're sure this is it?
- Chloe: This is where I belong.
- Computer: Aquaman online. Canary online. Cyborg online. Impulse online.
- Oliver: Arrow online.
- Chloe: Watchtower is officially online... let's get to work.
- Tess: What do you do when you find Judas in your midst? Who would Christ have been if Judas had not betrayed him? Maybe we would remember Jesus as only a teacher roaming the desert.
- Davis: I don't quite understand what you're getting at.
- Tess: Without Judas, Jesus would never have risen from the dead to come back and face his greatest challenge: saving humankind. There is a savior among us. You are here to betray him.
- Lois: I'll get my best men on it... and when I say men, I mean me because I work in the basement.
- Lois: Okay, obviously there's been some sort of mistake. It's not like I squeezed into 5" booted heels for my health.
- Hostess: Miss Lane, there's simply nothing I can do.
- Lois: Actually, there is. You can tell Edward R. Murrow that he can kiss this cub reporter's sweet...
- Chloe: Lois!
- Lois: Even when I did lower the bar and tried to slom a Green Arrow interview, it turns out Mr. Emerald-Chaps is another closet case when it comes to publicity.
- Oliver: So the needs of the Cornfield Killer outweigh the needs of the rest of the world, is that it?
- Chloe: Oliver, it's complicated—
- Oliver: Oh, it's complicated, yeah. That's the same thing your psychopathic boyfriend told me.
- Tess: Where the hell are your pants?
- Oliver: Yeah... yeah, I hid my pants.
- Lois: You just want to take over the world with some alien nation.
- Tess: I am trying to save the world.
- Lois: What's wrong with Greenpeace?
- Chloe: Dr. Hamilton.
- Dr. Hamilton: If you would be so kind as to lower the 9mm Jericho 941. I prefer "Emil."
- Clark: (referring to Alia) She told me that I would cause the end of the world. It's like I have a ticking time bomb on me, Chloe, and I only have a year to figure out how to stop it.
- Chloe: Well, you can't believe everything an assassin tells you. I mean, what does she know, anyway, right?
- Clark: The future.
- Chloe: Right. The future
- Chloe: Lois stopped by and found Shelby here alone with a dish full of food. Now, don't worry, I covered for you. But you should know that you are now on her radar.
- Clark: Thanks. I'll be more careful next time.
- Chloe: Dressed like that? Clark, what if I was Lois? She would take one look at you and realize Clark Kent is the Blur.
- Clark: I told you, there is no Clark Kent.
- Chloe: No disrespect to your Kryptonian calling, but coming back to feed the dog is about as human as it gets.
- Clark: Oliver, is this your idea of fun now that you've hung up your bow?
- Oliver: Should have known it was you. Clark Kent, the king of buzzkill. You and your pet rock put on a hell of a barbecue, but I had my money on Doomsday, so...
- Clark: You can try and play it off as a joke. But I know that the loss of Jimmy affected us both.
- Oliver: Well, I guess God's got a sick sense of humor. Oh, I'm sorry. I shouldn't be taking your name in vain.
- Clark: I'm trying to make up for what happened, not add myself to the casualty list.
- Oliver: Yeah, well, I can't get my thrills leaping tall buildings or outrunning speeding bullets. We mere mortals, we have to rely on a tweaked-out Ducati and the open road.
- Emil: I could try. It'll take me at least a half hour to cross town.
- Clark: Do you get motion sickness?
- Emil: Mm, not really. Why do you ask?
- (Clark grabs Emil and super-speeds away, leaving Chloe alone)
- Chloe: Really?
- Chloe: So the question is: how do we know that this isn't just your super hearing on the fritz?
- Clark: As loud as Lois is, even she can't speak with her mouth closed.
- Chloe: Good point.
- Clark: What are you doing here? (hears Lois's thoughts)
- Lois: Standing in the shadow of six-and-a-half foot of handsome. No, Lois, he doesn't get off that easy. Kick his ass!
- Oliver: Nice to play. I just started asking myself who knew about Lex, about Toyman. The things I'd given up, what I tried to do. Then it all occurred to me. Dinah shattered the glass in the warehouse, Bart rescued me from the car, Victor faked the computers, and Watchtower kept an eye on the whole thing. Right?
- Chloe: You were living like you had a death wish, Oliver. You had to face your demons if you were ever going to make it out alive. And I had to push you over the ledge in order to pull you back.
- Oliver: Did you have to push with a 3-ton truck?
- Chloe: I didn't think a tricycle would be a strong enough point.
- Oliver: You saved my life, Chloe. Both the myth... and the man.
- Lois: So... what was that about?
- Oliver: Uh-oh. I've seen that look before, usually right before you sock me in the jaw.
- Clark: I heard you were back.
- Oliver: You do know, of course, you look absolute ridiculous in that, right? And I got a great tailor, hook you up with a little color, maybe.
- Clark: Nice to see you finally discovered something worth living for after all.
- Oliver: You've done a hell of a job keeping the world safe on your own, Clark. I'm here to help you now.
- Clark: Good. Something tells me...soon the world will need all the help we can get.
- Lois: Look, I appreciate you helping me audition, I'm still angry you didn't tell me how bad Oliver was doing, but you're here anyway, so please, don't make me wish you weren't.
- Clark: It's okay, Lois. You don't need to get all worked up like you usually do.
- Lois: Well, excuse me Mr. I'm-slow-and-steady-and-know-what's-best-for-everyone, this happens to be important to me. With newspapers on the endangered species list, news television is my one and only back-up plan.
- Clark: Don't you think you can be a little less dramatic with this whole thing?
- Lois: You could be a little more passionate with this whole thing. But not you, not mild-mannered Clark Kent. Do you even care if I get this job?
- Clark: Of course I care, I bought a new tie.
- Lois: Oh, well I bought a whole new outfit.
- Clark: Yeah, you look great.
- Lois: Don't do that.
- Clark: Do what?
- Lois: Don't you dare reassure me right now.
- Clark: Lois, I'm only doing this for you. How else am I going to get that second date?
- Lois: (Pauses) Well, you should have thought of that before you stood me up the first time.
- Lois: (talking to the waiter) You got anything stronger?
- Waiter: Of course.
- Clark: Last thing you need is a drink Lois.
- Lois: Thanks Clark. You sound like my mother on prom night. How do I look?
- Clark: If this were a prom, you'd be crowned queen. Your date's a lucky man.
- Lois: Do I detect a note of jealousy in the notoriously nice Clark Kent? Be careful my date doesn't hear you. He might just have to take you down.
- Clark: (chuckles) Like to see him try.
- Lois: You know what they say: all's fair in love and war.
- Clark: And what's it gonna be for us Lois? Love or war?
- Lois: Clark, it sounds like you're asking me out on another date?
- Clark: If I was, would you say yes?
- Lois: I'll tell you what I'd say... (sees Oliver walking in) Oliver!
- (Clark walks in the Daily Planet bullpen, sees Lois reading something, and nervously walks up to her.)
- Clark: Lois?
- Lois: Did you hear? The brilliant brass over at KZXP have decided to go with someone else for their morning show.
- Clark: Lois?
- Lois: After everything that happened, after Ollie and I almost got killed, guess who they've decided to go with? (She shows him a promo picture of Catherine Grant as the new correspondent.)
- Lois: Apparently blondes test better with morning viewers.
- Clark: Lois!
- Lois: I'm sorry, I never should have tried out in the first place, or dragged you with me, and I just--
- (Clark grabs her and passionately kisses her. At first, she is surprised, then she kisses him back)
- Oliver: You know, Clark, if you wanna bury me in the desert for going on that date with Lois... you could've at least taken me to Nevada.
- Clark: Oliver, let's not...
- Oliver: I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna put up a fight. But maybe we could've hit the Strip before the main event, you know what I mean? Maybe a little Blue Man Group... maybe a little Carrot Top. You know, what I'm getting you next year for Christmas is a sense of humor.
- Lois: I thought, you know, the ride would give us a chance to get past the whole kiss-and-run of it all and get to know each other better.
- Clark: Better? You tell me the color of your underwear every day. What else is there to know?
- Lois: (Upon entering Watchtower) OK Chloe, you remember when we were ten and I kicked you out of my clubhouse for spilling soda and you said you'd just build a cooler one? You win.
- Zod: I'm General Zod. And all of this is mine to give if you give me the names of whoever snuck you into the restricted zone.
- Lois: My Dad's a general, too. And he still couldn't get me to spill how I got an M1 Abrams tank to take me to the prom. So I'm definitely not telling you anything.
- Oliver: Five dozen roses? Wow. That's subtle.
- Clark: "That's PDA #5, not that I'm keeping track."
- Lois: Clark, sorry I'm late. I was watching the monster truck jump finals, Grave Maker lost his drive train. He is never coming back.
- Clark: It's okay Lois he's just a truck.
- Lois: Aw Clark, come on that's like saying Tommy Lee's just a drummer. Sometimes I worry there is no poetry in you.
- Clark: You just have to look a little deeper.
- Vordigan: (Off screen) At last, the apprentice heeds his master's call. (Fires and arrow that knocks Oliver's bow out of his hands) You know why you're here?
- Oliver: (removes his sunglasses and hood) Vordigan, our pathes split a long time ago.
- Vordigan: You took your vows Oliver. Now its time to fulfill them.
- Oliver: You embracred me as your own son, but I can't follow in your footsteps.
- Oliver: (walking into Watchtower) Anyone home?
- Chloe: What's up?
- Oliver: Nothing, actually. I, uh, I thought I'd stop by and see if anyone's hungry.
- John Jones: I could use some dinner. Chloe?
- Chloe: Uh, sure. You're buying, Mr. Queen.
- John Jones: Don't look at me, I'm living off a policeman's salary.
- Oliver: Ah, fine. Dessert's on you.
- John Jones: On Mars, we never had dessert. But I have grown especially fond of cookies.
- Oliver: Where are the other SuperFriends?
- Chloe: Still waiting for them to ring me back. See, this is why I keep asking everyone to come up with some sort of standardized trouble alert. The team needs structure.
- Oliver: Is that what we're lacking? You're really on a kick lately. Personal phone conversations... bank records... Amazon wish list.
- Chloe: Big sister's watching.
- Oliver: Is that my e-mail? Chloe, I'll have you know that those messages between me and Canary were purely platonic.
- Chloe: Can we skip your virtual love life and actually focus on the job here?
- Green Arrow: I hate waiting.
- Hawkman: You like talking. Shut up.
- Green Arrow: Why did they pair us up together?
- Hawkman: I requested it, so I could keep you in line.
- Green Arrow: What, you're my chaperone?
- Hawkman: think of me as your parole officer... but with a mace.
- Green Arrow: (after Clark states that none of them are bad guys) You sure about that Clark? Winged Wonder here threw me through a window.
- Hawkman: I hope I didn't make you cry.
- Green Arrow: Drop the mace, Conan.
- Hawkman: I will, on your head.
- Green Arrow: (walking towards Hawkman) Bring it, Big Bird. Just remember you started it.
- Hawkman: I'll finish it.
- Chloe: Slow night?
- Oliver: Figured I'd squeeze in some target practice... and a single malt.
- Chloe: Did you bring enough for the rest of the class?
- Oliver: Help yourself, professor. You're running a little low on allegory tonight. Bumpy day?
- Chloe: Not the smoothest. Someone asked me when the last time I had a good time was, and I didn't have an answer.
- Oliver: I don't think anyone can fault you for being on the edge, Chloe. Hell, if anyone can relate it's me. I get it.
- Chloe: Yeah, you can.
- Oliver: You know... sometimes you got to take your fun where you can get it. And sometimes... it's right in front of your face. You just have to want to see it. Come on.
- Chloe: How do I know when to let go?
- Oliver: It's all about your heart. Just listen. Right there in between the beats. That's when you let go.
- Clark: I need to figure out a way to reverse this. I think I breathed in some sort of new meteor rock.
- Emil: (laughs) Dude, hasn't anyone ever told you not to inhale?
- Oliver: A lot of women have used me for my money, I never expected it from you.
- Chloe: I wasn't stealing from you Oliver, I was borrowing the cash. I'm buying insurance for the entire planet.
- Chloe: All the I.D.'s I gave Clark have computer tracking chips in them. I want to keep an eye on the visitors from another planet.
- Oliver: Welcome to "1984: The Sullivan Edition."
- Maggie: I have your room all ready, Mrs. Green, except you didn't say what size bed you'd prefer.
- Chloe: Make it a Queen.
- Clark: Quiet weekend at home, huh?
- Chloe: Trust me, we had no idea the two of you would be there.
- Lois: And we had no idea there was even a "you two," which I think is perfect. I think fate has brought us together.
- Oliver: Well, it's a... it's... it's a little less fate, actually.
- Chloe: (cuts in) More fame.
- Oliver: (mumbles) Like fame.
- Chloe: This inn is so far off the beaten bath that even the society pages couldn't find Star City's most eligible bachelor here.
- Lois: You mean ex-bachelor.
- Lois: Let's talk about Mr. Green, in the bedroom, with my cousin.
- Oliver: And there it is.
- Green Arrow: You could use some conflict resolution. (steps in front of Tess) Rule Number 1: You don't shoot your date. Rule Number 2: Think about your wardrobe choices.
- Edward Lott: You're one to talk.
- Green Arrow: Oh, don't get me wrong, I love black on black, it's just really hard to pull off.
- Edward Lott: It's easier than you think.
- Green Arrow: (shoots him with a taser arrow) Rule Number 3: You gotta know when to say goodnight.
- Tess: Black on black, that's hard for you to pull off.
- Oliver: Well, it's easier than you think. (pauses)
- Tess: (realizes something) Green Arrow.
- Chloe: I should have known that Clark took a walk down the ruby-red road. That explains his lack of "edit" button.
- Tess: I thought Clark was only affected by green meteor. What's the red do?
- 'Chloe: Basically it turns him into the bad boy every girl dreams of... in her nightmares.
- Lois: Tess. How not surprised am I to see you here. By the way, this is the least-secret secret lab I've ever been in... twice.
- Franklin Stern: Let me guess. You two have a lovers' spat?
- Lois: Clark and I don't spat. There was no spatting
- Clark: I let myself in.
- Oliver: Terrific. You, uh, hop up to the helipad or just superspeed past security, Clark?
- Clark: I used the elevator.
- Oliver: How human of you.
- Clark: I wish you could come back and visit more often.
- Martha: I had to let go of this place for a while, Clark, but I never let go of you. I'll be back soon.
- Clark: Maybe next time you can ease up on the kryptonite
- Clark: (to Lois) Look, my whole life has been full of relationships that have ended too soon. And then when I went away last fall, I... Lois, I felt so lost. When I came back to the bullpen... you were there waiting for me. You jumped out of your seat, you threw your arms around me, and the way that your eyes sparkled when you smiled, I just... I knew. I just knew that you were the one that I've always needed. And I needed you to know that.
- Chloe Sullivan: Show me where Oliver is.
- Helmet of Nabu: Would you sacrifice your sanity to save the Archer?
- Clark Kent: I died to save the world.
- Jor-El: Evil never ends. By sacrificing yourself, you have left the humans vulnerable to future threats.
- Clark Kent: I left a team of heroes behind to protect them.
- Jor-El: You were meant to be Earth's greatest protector. Now, they are about to face the greatest evil without you.
- Clark Kent: Then send me back! I know my fate! To step into the light! To be a symbol of hope for them.
- Jor-El: I told you to rule with strength, but you chose the martyr's path. What makes you think you deserve a second chance?
- Clark Kent: I can do it. I can be their hero!
- Clark Kent: Sometimes I think it would be easier if you were here.
- Jonathan Kent: Not a day goes by, Clark, when I don't regret not being able to be right here for you. I would do anything, I would give anything to able to get a second chance to get it right. You got that second chance, son. You could be the greatest hero the world has ever known.
- Clark Kent: Not according to Jor-El.
- Jonathan Kent: Well, then, do what you do best. Prove him wrong. Jor-El was right about one thing. Something dark is coming. You're gonna be tested. It's not gonna be easy, son. But I have faith in you.
- Clark Kent: I defeated Lex. I refused to let him win. And I pushed myself harder than I ever have before. For a second, I thought I was flying. But I saved everyone, I don't know how but I saved them all. I've finally become the hero you sent me here to be.
- Jor-El: Pride... vanity... you almost took a man's life and you dare tell me you are following the path that I set out for you?
- Clark Kent: You told me that I have unfinished business. An evil here that I had to face! And Lex...!
- Jor-El: The evil is you, Kal-El. The greatest threat Earth will face is coming. It preys on wavering souls like yours. Once this darkness consumes you, you will be Earth's greatest enemy.
- Clark Kent: That's not my fate.
- Jor-El: You cannot be a beacon of hope when you have darkness in your heart.
- Clark Kent: Then why did you send me back? Why did you give me a second chance?!
- Jor-El: I didn't. It was not my decision to give you back your life.
- Clark Kent: You may not see me as a hero. But the rest of the world does! And I decide my fate!
- Jor-El: I regret as a father, my faith in you blinded me to the truth. You will never be Earth's savior.
- Rick Flag: Your satellite was tracking them -- symbols that looked just like The Blur's, which makes him the person of interest. But what's your connection to all this?
- Oliver Queen: Man, I told you. You got this whole thing wrong, okay? I'm what you call a good guy here! I'm not guilty of anything here except trying to save the world! All right? And I would tell you who from but I don't think you'd believe me.
- Rick Flag: Try me.
- Oliver Queen: These little green guys from outer space. (laughs)
- Tess Mercer: [Reading Chloe's letter to Oliver] "Oliver, I never thought I'd have to tell you how I feel about us because the smile on my lips when I looked at you pretty much said it all. But now that you won't be seeing it anymore I'll have to use words to tell you. I've never loved anyone the way I've loved you and I never will again. You are my brightest star, my knight in shining leather, my hero." ...Oliver, this may be difficult for you to face, but I didn't write this. We both know Chloe did.
- Tess Mercer: (to Oliver) Trust never was the golden rule for the kids in this clubhouse.
- Carter Hall: You know, the philosopher Nietzsche believed we shouldn't live for the future, but for the present. He thought that people who chased after some far-off future dream were really running away from their true destiny.
- Lois Lane: Yeah, well, Nietzsche can call me a chicken if he wants, but he has never dated someone like Clark Kent.
- Carter Hall: It wouldn't have mattered. To him, the true hero was the person who embraced the life that he or she was given and made it better. He called that person "Übermensch."
- Lois Lane: A Superman.
- Carter Hall: Nietzsche believed we could all be one. In our own way.
- Carter Hall: (to Lois) I guess you never know what fate has planned for you.
- Rick Flag: Let's give these boys a taste of what it's like to mess with the Suicide Squad.
- Kara Kent: It was a start.
- Clark Kent: It's not flying if it's mostly falling.
- Darkseid (in Gordon Godfrey's body): (to Clark) Are you sure you can win against me? You know what I am. You know the doubt in your heart. You so-called heroes are false gods, all of you. And when people stop believing in you, you'll shatter like glass.
- Lois Lane: Somebody should put Godfrey in some serious restraints. Who knew Mr. Family Values had such a dark side?
- Kara Kent: Godfrey's not so special. There's two sides to everyone... even heroes.
- Kara Kent: It's critical that I get my image around the city, as soon as possible. You just have to trust me Kal-El. I'm doing this for you.
- Clark Kent: Kara, this doesn't feel like much of a favor.
- Kara Kent: I've searched so long for my mother, and I never found her. You and I are the last survivors of the House of El. And after everything that we've been through together, I had to come back to the one place in the universe that I had family.
- Clark Kent: Well, what you are doing right now, flies in the face of how I've chosen to live on this planet my whole life. We both know that. Now if you really care about family, tell me what you doing here and stop avoiding the question!
- Kara Kent: I didn't want to hurt you. Jor-El has given me a mission. I'm getting my powers and image around the city as part of it.
- Clark Kent: He gave you a mission? What did he say?
- Kara Kent: He's let you go, Kal-El. I'm sorry. He says, you're no longer his son.
- Lois Lane: There is a guy out there, Gordon Godfrey, and he thinks that Green Arrow is my ex-boyfriend.
- Oliver Queen: He does?
- Lois Lane: Hmm.
- Oliver Queen: You know I think we just leave him alone. You know let the blowhard eventually blow himself out, and in the meantime I can handle a few slings and arrows. I'm sure you can too.
- Lois Lane: Oliver, Godfrey's got proof! He has a secret chapter about you, and he's gonna post it online tomorrow. He knows who you are.
- Oliver Queen: Maybe people deserve to know the truth.
- Lois Lane: People deserve to be saved. And it's safer for you to be in the shadows, it's safer for all the heroes.
- Oliver Queen: Maybe, or maybe the cost of keeping my secret is getting too high, and it's time to pay the piper.
- Lois Lane: If you're not seriously gonna stand up and kick this creep to the curb, then I will!
- Lois Lane: Come on. Did you forget? Tomorrow's our Smallville High reunion.
- Clark Kent: Did you say our reunion?
- Lois Lane: Yes.
- Clark Kent: You were enrolled there for like...
- Lois Lane: Twenty three days.
- Clark Kent: You showed up for five.
- Lois Lane: That's a record in my book. Smallville is the closest thing to a past that this military brat has, and I am not gonna miss it. We don't have to be dating to show up at a reunion together.
- Clark Kent: There's a lot of memories there for me.
- Lois Lane: Come on, Clark. It would mean a lot to me, seeing all those familiar faces, like I had a place to fit in. And you, I mean, you put the Smallville in Smallville, Smallville.
- Clark Kent: I don't know if you're a ghost from my past or the darkness Jor-El that warned me about, but this will come to an end, just like I did the last time.
- Brainiac 5: I hope so for your sake.
- Clark Kent: My sake? You sent the person I love away. You tried to destroy Chloe, you tried to destroy the world.
- Brainiac 5: And you saved me from all of that, Kal-El. I have come back to do the same for you. (shows wearing Legion ring)
- Clark Kent: The Legion. You're from the future. What'd you do to them?
- Brainiac 5: I joined them. In the 31st century, I'm known as Brainiac 5. The ring, time travel - all my creatons. I brought the Legion into a new realm of heroism.
- Clark Kent: I helped them destroy you.
- Brainiac 5: No. They helped you cure me. The problem is Kal-El, you and I aren't very different. We were both created in one way or another by Jor-El, both intended to save civilizations, to bring peace to a brutal world. But neither was immune to corruption to darkness.
- Clark Kent: What does that mean? All of sudden everyone's telling me that I have darkness within me. I don't understand what it is or how I'm suppose to change it. You destroyed cities. I may not make the right decisions, but at least I'm trying to save people.
- Brainiac 5: Then let me show you, Kal-El. We can't always see it in ourselves, my corruption started with a nanobyte - smaller than the eye can see. But that's all it took.
- Future Lois Lane: Wait a minute. Oh, no. Kryptonite again?
- Clark Kent: Look, I...
- Future Lois Lane: (looks into Clark's eyes) Blue? Red? Not green? Please tell me it's not the black. Because that was a disaster.
- Clark Kent: Look, I just... I need the Legion ring. Lois, do you know where it is?
- Future Lois Lane: Is that a joke, Clark? Touch it once, shame on you. Touch it twice it, shame on me. And actually, I could really use it right now, because we need to be on the opposite sides of town in ten minutes.
- Brainiac 5: I'm only here for you. I wanted to slow things down. Make sure you can soak in this special moment.
- Clark Kent: And what's so special about this moment?
- Brainiac 5: This is the moment that your life changes forever.
- Future Clark Kent: (to Clark, describing his Lois) She's a handful, isn't she? You're right on time.
- Clark Kent: You knew I'd be here.
- Future Clark Kent: Time travel. Think it through.
- Clark Kent: Because you were me when you went through this and I'm...
- Future Clark Kent: Well done, my man.
- Clark Kent: How did I become so uptight? (looks his future self up and down) And nerdy?
- Future Clark Kent: (irritated) There's no time to chat about how, when, and why! We've been through weirder things and I need you on the roof!
- Clark Kent: When did I start taking orders?
- Future Clark Kent: There's a nuclear reactor that's about to blow on the other side of town. Now, I can't be in two places at once.
- Clark Kent: If you knew it was going to happen, then why didn't you stop it?
- Future Clark Kent: Because then you wouldn't have experienced all this. And you would never have become me.
- Clark Kent: (under his breath) That's too bad.
- Future Clark Kent: Roof. Now. (superspeeds away)
- Clark Kent: (inspired) That's what I become.
- Cat Grant: (to Clark) Won't this be the greatest, working together again? Our names looked terrific side-by-side on that byline. I mean, it's like we were meant to be partners, Clark. You're the Popeye to my Olive. The Mickey to my Minnie.
- Lois Lane: The sick to my stomach.
- (Cat Grant sees Lois and thinking she's the Blur, Cat grabs a pen and stabs her)
- Lois Lane: Ow! Uh What the hell? (goes to punch Cat but is stopped by Clark)
- Clark Kent: Ladies, who wants to go first?
- Lois Lane: She stabbed me!
- Cat Grant: (at the same time as Lois) She's the Blur!
- Lois Lane: That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. And I thought you were a bottle blonde.
- Clark Kent: In the future, Lois already knew about me. What I didn't see is how I told her and when. My instincts have always been to keep my secret, but then I see five minutes of the future that seems too good to be true, and--
- Oliver Queen: You came over here hoping that I would try to talk you out of telling her, right?
- Clark Kent: No. Maybe.
- Oliver Queen: Well... I hate to break it to you, but I say go for it. Best thing I ever did. I could finally be myself. And it turns out people actually like the real me.
- Clark Kent: If I remember correctly, coming out to Lois did not have a happy ending. You told Lois the truth, and she dumped you.
- Oliver Queen: That - We broke up. Look, Lois and I were never really meant to be together. Clark, she loves you. That makes you a lucky man. Take it from me, living without love is not really living, it's just sort of existing. The question you have to ask yourself is what are you willing to risk for love?
- Tess Mercer: So let me get this straight. Lois finds a necklace, gets possessed by an Egyptian Goddess, and now is flying around like Amelia Earhart, minus the plane.
- Oliver Queen: Just another Friday night in Metropolis. Who's ready for the weekend?
- Clark Kent: All my life I've been afraid, Lois. Afraid of people knowing the truth about me. Afraid of them rejecting me, and even if they didn't, still losing them. I've been afraid of everything I can't control. But when I was faced with the idea of losing you forever, it made me realize there's something I'd regret more than anything else, and that's not telling you the truth about me. 'Cause that's the only way we could share a life together. I know the odds are stacked against us and we'd be risking everything, but if you're ready to take that leap, there's no one else that I'd want to take that leap with. Lois, you've had a lot of questions about The Blur, it's me. I'm The Blur.
- Lois Lane: (jumps on Clark, kissing him) What took you so long?
- Clark Kent: (confused, realizing that she already knows) What? You...
- Lois Lane: Our "Twilight Zone" acid trip to the, uh, Phantom prison - that place was...
- Clark Kent: Kryptonian.
- Lois Lane: Mm. And that horny-toad-looking thing that crashed Chloe and Jimmy's wedding?
- Clark Kent: Kryptonian.
- Lois Lane: Mm. And the spaceship that I found in the woods near the dam?
- Clark Kent: Also Kryptonian, but it wasn't mine - it was my cousin's.
- Lois Lane: Sorry about the third degree, Clark. It's just not every week a girl learns her boyfriend's an...
- Clark Kent: Alien? And you're still okay with that?
- Lois Lane: Are you kidding me? It's like dating a god or Bono.
- Lois Lane: Meteor rock. Maybe that's why when I pulled that blue dagger out of your chest, you - you healed.
- Clark Kent: You did that?
- Lois Lane: Yeah.
- Clark Kent: Lois, you didn't just heal me, you brought me back. You saved me.
- Lois Lane: Well sometimes even the hero needs a guardian angel, Clark.
- Christina Lamell: If we don't begin his therapy immediately, he'll be dead within six weeks.
- Tess Mercer: That's the point. Because he's not just a clone... he is Lex Luthor.
- Lois Lane: Hear me out, Clark. Okay, I wasn't a big fan of Ollie's coming-out party, and I used to think that it was best for you to stay in the shadows, too, but maybe someday soon, you'll have to step into the light. You can be a symbol to inspire everyone that this planet could be a better place.
- Clark Kent: I'm not sure anyone's ready to believe a stranger from a strange land.
- Lois Lane: If they know the real Clark Kent, then I am sure the rest of the world will believe in you as much as I do.
- Clark Kent: If we leave now, we'll be back in a flash.
- Lois Lane: Oh, but Clark, I'm such a delicate flower... I will, I will wilt in that heat.
- Clark Kent: So, what are you in the mood for?
- Lois Lane: Oh, I'm in the mood. Just not for breakfast.
- Clark Kent: Lois, the bedroom's upstairs.
- Lois Lane: Mm-hmm. But the porch swing -- it's out there.
- Clark Kent: (to Oliver, as they are talking in the loft) You got to go.
- Oliver Queen: What, the window? What are we, 16?
- Clark Kent: Now.
- Clark Kent: We look after each other.
- Sam Lane: Good. Because if Lois is going to spend any time around here, I've had a look around, and there's a few things that are gonna have to be brought up to code.
- Clark Kent: Like scrubbing the bathroom tile with a toothbrush?
- Sam Lane: That's number 17 on the list.
- Clark Kent: (looks at list) I guess you're not kidding.
- Sam Lane: No, I never do.
- Clark Kent: It's over, Flag. We know you blew up that building.
- Green Arrow: Fancy move attacking your own country.
- Rick Flag: I did it for my country. If you kill Lane, you kill a movement. That registration act is nothing but a weapon to profile, hunt, and destroy us.
- Green Arrow: We don't need a history lesson.
- Rick Flag: Well, apparently you do, Shamrock. You've become the politicians' poster boy for full disclosure. They're gonna be on your doorstep soon, holding you up as a volunteer. Get up all the other heroes to stand up and be counted and be killed.
- Clark Kent: We're not gonna let that happen.
- Rick Flag: If the bill passes, it already has! Don't you see? America's turning against us. We have got to fight back, show strength, make them choose us as their leaders.
- Clark: You'll be stirring up anti-hero hysteria. Violence isn't the answer.
- Rick Flag: Violence is the only answer. And more and more superheroes are coming to my side.
- Tess Mercer: No need to worry, my friend.
- Oliver Queen: I think it's a little early for "friend." "Friendly" -- I can do that. I can be friendly.
- Tess Mercer: I'll take it. I was beginning to think the best I could do was "frenemy."
- Oliver Queen: I don't even know what that means. We've, uh... We've survived tax audits and typhoons together, Tess. I think we're practically like family at this point.
- Tess Mercer: We've come a long way. From the middle of the ocean to the top of the city.
- Oliver Queen: I can work with that.
- Granny Goodness: Do you know, I've been always been able to tell an abandoned soul when I see one. It's a gift.
- Tess Mercer: Do the girls come here as -- as babies?
- Granny Goodness: Unfortunately, tragedy strikes as it pleases. They come at any age.
- Tess Mercer: It must be difficult to find the older ones permanent homes.
- Granny Goodness: Well, the truth is, by the time I get my hands on the lost souls, they no longer have that cute baby scent childless couples yearn for.
- Tess Mercer: The children don't spend their entire childhood here, do they?
- Granny Goodness: Oh, mercy me. You make it sound like punishment.
- Granny Goodness: I've been training my girls for decades not to blend into society -- but to conquer it. Here...and around the world. My girls know I'll always be here for them. And I know they'll never desert me.
- Lois Lane: Hello. Mister...El? I'm here to talk about your son, Clark. Kal-El. Look, I know as a parent, you had to make the hardest decision ever to save your son and send him here alone. When my Mom was dying, she tried to protect me, too. And I love her, but she was wrong. I will never get to hold her again. But you -- you can still be there for Clark -- I mean, Kal-El. Your son needs a father who believes in him. I-I wish I knowing that I loved him was enough. But Clark Kent can't fully hear it with the ghost of your disappointment haunting him. You're stopping him from fulfilling his potential. He's an amazing man. He's a hero. (waits for a response from Jor-El, nothing) Really? Nothing? You know, you may not care about anybody else but yourself, but Clark does. And you're not 1/10 the Kryptonian he is. He's lucky to be rid of you!
- Lara: My son, I only had the joy for knowing you a few weeks. I wish I could be with you always to guide you and protect you.
- Jor-El: We don’t have much time.
- Lara: My dearest Kal-El, our love will always be with you. I can already see you carry within your father's independent spirit.
- Jor-El: But, more importantly, your mother’s never ending bravery and her compassionate heart.
- Lara: Your father tells me that the new world you are journeying to, Earth, is full of complicated beings capable of great emotion. My wish is for you to live a full and wonderful life, but I need you to know that you were born of a great love. And, your brilliant father has devised a way for you to carry on that love without us.
- Jor-El: The ship that I designed to carry you to your destiny can only hold one Kryptonian, one who has so much potential, so unlike your father.
- Lara: No.
- Jor-El: Your mother and I cannot come with you, to do so would burden your innocent soul with our frailties and our failures. But you have within you, the best of both of us, and I am sending you with all of my knowledge and none of my ego or regrets. They will die with me here on Krypton. Whatever trials I put you through, I will never lose faith in you.
- Lara: (Whispers to Jor-El) Quickly, before it's too late. We may not have been able to save our planet...
- Jor-El: But we are confident you will become Earth's greatest savior. And never doubt that, just as you're a part of us, we will always be a part of you. Farewell, my son.
- Desaad: Godfrey has been chosen. Our Dark Lord has anointed him... made him like us -- a prophet. He is Darkseid's third minion.
- Gordon Godfrey: So I do have a higher purpose.
- Desaad: Yes, Godfrey. Your golden voice is broadcast around the world.
- Granny Goodness: Not impressed. And you -- I see you're enjoying your clubs. They seem more popular than ever.
- Desaad: Our unholy trinity is complete. I bind their bodies, Godfrey breaks their spirit, and you, my beloved friend, you clear their minds, preparing the way for Lord Darkseid.
- Clark Kent: Seismic activity.
- Arthur Curry: That's how Mera found the place. She's pretty amazing -- smart, passionate, fiery. Even helped me understand my true origins.
- Clark Kent: You really went off the high dive for her
- Arthur Curry: I'm so much more with her than I'm solo.
- Clark Kent: You don't feel guilty, putting her in danger?
- Arthur Curry: Mera can hold her own. If you're worried about someone a little less superpowered, Mera helped me realize that standing on the sidelines isn't the same as being in the game.
- Lieutenant Trotter: Almost done, Mr. Queen.
- Oliver Queen: What's with the secret workout room here, huh? Is this a, uh, a secret tryout for the NFL?
- Slade Wilson: You're strong and extremely agile with coordination that's off the charts.
- Oliver Queen: I'm human.
- Slade Wilson: Well, I commend your performance. We'd love to have someone with your gifts serve our country. Help us bring in your less cooperative cohorts.
- Oliver Queen: Look, I'll be your poster boy. I'll say your words, I'll be your face, but it ends with me, you understand? Now, there are people out there who want to believe in you. They want to believe in this country. Give them a chance to prove that, to be the heroes that we all need.
- Slade Wilson: You got nerve, I like that. But your draft card wasn't a two-for-one special. Please, allow me to make a more convincing argument.
- Mera: I am Mera, wife of Orin, future king of the Seven Seas. The one you call Arthur Curry.
- Lois Lane: A.C. got married. Aren't you just full of reveals?
- Mera: Orin is finally embracing his destiny and leading his people.
- Lois Lane: Hang on. "His people." Like, down under and not Australia? Anyway, I need to find Clark.
- Mera: Certainly you're not a partner in his endeavors?
- Lois Lane: Wow, some people get a ring on their finger, and everyone else's relationship just doesn't cut it.
- Mera: Spoken like one who can't be satisfied by a man of her own kind. You desire those who are extraordinary - first Orin, then Oliver, now Clark.
- Lois Lane: You've gotta be kidding me? Little Mermaid? Your prince and I dated for a day.
- Mera: It's understandable that you would seek a superior being companion. I'm just surprised that powerful men would choose someone of lesser ability.
- Lois Lane: Listen, squid lips, you don't know anything about me or Clark.
- Mera: I know you came here looking for Clark. You're in the dark...protected but not included. Do you really want the harsh light of truth?
- Clark Kent: Slade! I'm not gonna let you continue destroying people's faith in justice.
- Slade Wilson: Made of steel, or just a man? You can't be both. (shoots at Clark, bullets ricochet off him) So it is you. (Slade presses a button on the wall, kryptonite-lined wall surrounds Clark)
- Clark Kent: What are you doing? I need to get you out of here!
- Slade Wilson: This whole place was built for the express purpose of containing your kind. And your weakness was the hardest to learn. You see? You're not above the law. You're not even above me.
- Clark Kent: How can you be so determined in seeing us as the enemy, instead of working with us. Look... let me save you. You'll never get out!
- Slade Wilson: I know, but it's worth it. To destroy the single greatest threat to democracy, no civilian in this country should be more powerful than the law. That's what keeps the order. That's what keeps us strong.
- Clark Kent: Shut it down. Let me help you.
- Slade Wilson: I'd rather die for my country than be saved by an abomination like you.
- Clark Kent: You asked me a question. I guess you'll get your answer. I am man and steel.
- Arthur Curry: Glad you didn't find your Davy Jones down there after that explosion.
- Clark Kent: I know how much you love the water, but I couldn't be happier to have my two feet on solid ground.
- Arthur Curry: Oh, just as well. 'Cause let's be honest, underwater, you look like a clown fish.
- Clark Kent: Emil finally finished working through the files we found after the fire. There's one body still unaccounted for -- LX-15. There's another Lex on the loose.
- Tess Mercer: Why look here? I closed the book on this place months ago.
- Clark Kent: Supplies are still being sent here.
- Tess Mercer: Someone's helping him survive, but you're assuming he's a threat just because he's a Luthor. What ever happened to everyone deserving a second chance?
- Clark Kent: No, Luthor blood is Luthor blood. It's poison.
- Lionel Luthor-2: The heart -- it'll blind you, son. You want to be your own man. That's natural. But remember, Clark -- I am your father and I alone raised you in my own image to become the man that you are today.
- Clark Kent: I must have lost perspective.
- Lionel Luthor-2: But that's why I'm here -- to set you back on the right path. You could conquer the universe. The Man of Tomorrow -- Clark Luthor! I sometimes shudder to think what would have happened to my little traveler if he had been discovered in that cornfield by the first ignorant farmer that came along. Where on earth would you be now?
- Clark Luthor: Hardly any trace of Lionel at all. It's refreshing, actually...being out from under our father's shadow.
- Tess Mercer: Lionel Luthor's been dead for years. Lex killed him.
- Clark Luthor: I guess Lex did something right in this place. I got to tell you, sis -- this alternate Earth -- it's a blast. Doesn't feel right, though. Not having blood on my hands before lunch.
- Clark Kent: I'm sorry, it's just something I had to do.
- Lois Queen: Stay away from me Clark or Ultraman or whoever the hell you are! I know what happens when someone sees your face. Help!
- Clark Kent: Lois, where I'm from, Lois Lane, you and I are allies. You always have my back, how else would I know that you're brave and loyal and a force of nature?
- Lois Queen: Anybody could have told you that about me.
- Clark Kent: Look, You misspell words, simple words at an alarmingly frequent basis. Can you never admit I'm right even when I call you on it?
- Lois Queen: Why would I?
- Clark Kent: You can always tell when I'm lying, you can see right through me, straight to my soul... to my heart. Lois, there's got to be a part of you that knows I'm telling the truth.
- Lois Queen: Who are you?
- Clark Kent: My name is Clark Kent and I promise Lois, I will never let this happen to us. I can't live in a world where you don't love me.
- Lois Lane: What are these for?
- Clark Kent: Nothing says "Sorry My Doppelganger From A Parallel Earth Tried To Kill You" like flowers.
- Lois Lane: I think there's a card for that now.
- Clark Kent: The store was out. I destroyed the mirror box. You won't ever have to worry about seeing him again.
- Lois Lane: He wasn't you, Clark. I mean, not you you.
- Clark Kent: Well, I know the circumstances were different from that side, but that was still me in that mirror. And the way you looked at me, Lois, it was so much hate...it was like you already formed your opinion about Clark Luthor -- for good reason. He was a monster. I was a monster.
- Lois Lane: Kind of makes you wonder how "Earth Two" Lois Lane managed to put up with such a colossal tool.
- Clark Kent: Consider yourself universally consistent. Didn't cut him any slack. But I do think she was about to give him another chance.
- Lois Lane: You don't need to worry about second chances with me. You're doing really well with the first one.
- Clark Kent: (nervously to Lois) Listen, why don't we go get something to eat at the new place?
- Lois Lane: You mean the place that requires reservations six months in advance? That's a nice thought Romeo but we will never get a table
- Clark Kent: We will never know unless we ask and I hope the answer is yes.
- Oliver Queen: Clark, come on. Now the whole world thinks I'm a terrorist. I mean, that's not exactly something you want on your Fortune 500 bio or at your wedding, so...
- Clark Kent: Well, that's too bad, 'cause I was just about to invite you to be my best man. You're the guy who stands next to me on the worst days of my life. And I want you there for the best one, too.
- Oliver Queen: Hey, I -- you kidding? Absolutely. Thank you. (shakes Clark's hand)
- Carter Hall: All I can say is when it comes to planning the wedding, just nod. A lot.
- Oliver Queen: Well, you would know, right? I mean, you married Shayera, what, a hundred times now?
- Dr. Emil Hamilton: Well, I've heard of relationships that withstand the test of time, but that's remarkable. Oh, or not, I suppose. For you.
- Carter Hall: Even though I married Shayera a hundred times, I had to lose her that many, as well. Now, I know I don't usually get all warm and fuzzy, but I am sorry. About Chloe.
- Oliver Queen: You're not gonna hug me now, are you?
- Slade Wilson: I was wonder how long you'd hide and let your friends take the fall.
- Clark Kent: I heard the explosion. You were in it. How did you...
- Slade Wilson: Survive? Let's just say the reaper can swing his sickle at me, but I'm beyond death's stroke now.
- Lois Lane: I'll get you help. Okay?
- Carter Hall: No. It's too late. Hey. I'm a pro at dying, remember?
- Clark Kent: I should have been there, Carter. I'm sorry.
- Carter Hall: Can't always be you, Clark. This is all our fight. Listen. Listen! This is what we do. And my passing means I'll be with Shayera again.
- Clark Kent: I owe you so much, I don't even know how to begin to thank you.
- Carter Hall: You just did. You hold on to her. Because there has to be a balance, Clark. We can't do what we have to do if there's an emptiness in our hearts. Remember that.
- Clark Kent: I will. I promise.
- Carter Hall: Oh, I am sorry I won't be able to help you fight the darkness. (looks at Lois) But you have all the help that you need.
- Chloe Sullivan: You're not hallucinating, Oliver, and you're not insane. Trust me.
- Oliver Queen: Really? Well, that's kind of hard to believe, considering you just materialized out of a wall.
- Chloe Sullivan: I've got to get you out of here.
- Oliver Queen: Chloe? Hate to rain on your program, but I'm in a straightjacket. I'm in a cell in a lockdown wing of a hospital. I-I'm not going anywhere.
- Chloe Sullivan: Only if you believe that's true. Simple mind over matter. Because I believe everything I see is fake, I'm not limited by it. I have power. The sooner you believe everything you see is fantasy, the sooner you can manipulate it. Break free of it.
- Oliver Queen: (straightjacket disappears) How'd you do that?
- Chloe Sullivan: I didn't. You did.
- Lois Lane: Chloe would never hurt Oliver.
- Dinah Lance: Not unless he got in her way, like these guys. (they watch a video of Chloe gunning down VRA guards)
- Lois Lane: Well, I can't be right. And I hate to crash on your tea party, but my cousin is no Benedict Arnold.
- Dinah Lance: She's taking out operatives in cold blood, Lois! I don't know whose side she's on, but it's not ours!
- Lois Lane: Not everybody switches sides as easily as some of us. And let's not forget, when we first met Black Canary, she was nothing more than Lex Luthor's little organ-grinder monkey. I mean, did you ever look to see who the bad guys really are before you start throwing knives and spin-kicks there, chickadee?
- Dinah Lance: Violent criminals deserve to fry. And if your cousin's one of them, well, that's a campfire that I'm not afraid to sing around.
- Clark Kent: How'd you do it? Trust me, I mean - back then, before you found out.
- Chloe Sullivan: I had my suspicions.
- Clark Kent: But that's what I mean. You knew I was lying to you, and still you looked me in the eye every day and you trusted me.
- Chloe Sullivan: I guess that's the true test of believing in someone -- knowing that their lies are there to protect you. It's not really trust if you ask someone to explain themselves.
- Clark Kent: But that's hard.
- Chloe Sullivan: It's really hard.
- Clark Kent: You never gave up.
- Chloe Sullivan: And I never will.
- Clark Kent: I've been thinking about what you said -- that I should shut my eyes and ears to the outside world to figure what's true. You made me believe. And you got me to fly. Even if it was just in cyberspace.
- Lois Lane: Well, I have to say Smallville, that soaring over the Daily Planet and the spires of Metropolis was amazing.
- Clark Kent: Well, who knows? Maybe one day, we'll get to fly in the real world.
- Lois Lane: I've always believed that you can do the impossible, and one day you will.
- Clark Kent: Mom, people are upset. They're getting violent.
- Martha Kent: Clark, if you don't let me do this, there will never be a day where you can come out of hiding. People need someone to believe in.
- Clark Kent: I'm not gonna let you sacrifice yourself.
- Martha Kent: Your father and I made a pact many years ago. We knew protecting you would always be dangerous, but we vowed to do it, even if it cost us our lives. I'm willing to sacrifice the same thing your father did.
- Clark Kent: But I'm not gonna to let go on a suicide mission for me. And the person who did this to you is still out there, and I'm gonna find them. I'm not ready to say goodbye to you, too.
- Chloe Sullivan: You know, who would have thought there would have been a day when heroes need this much protection?
- Martha Kent: It's nothing new. A long time ago, Jonathan and I realized Clark wasn't just our blessing. Someday we'd have to share him with the world. Protecting him suddenly became a much bigger responsibility.
- Chloe Sullivan: That explains why the Red Queen eventually entered the game.
- Martha Kent: I've been watching you, too. I know you took over where Waller left off, but why did you leave Clark's side in the first place?
- Chloe Sullivan: Same reason you did. It turns out there's a very fine line between being protective and being overprotective.
- Martha Kent: We both needed to leave for Clark to stand up on his own. But maybe we stepped away too far.
- Chloe Sullivan: Mrs. Kent, I never stopped watching his back.
- Martha Kent: Clark needs you as much as the world needs him. You're part of this family, Chloe.
- Chloe Sullivan: You know, growing up, I never really had much of a mother figure to look up to -- until I met you. You really taught me what it meant to take care of the people that I love.
- Martha Kent: And as Clark's oldest friend, I can't think of anyone better to watch over him.
- Oliver Queen: (to Alexander) So, what was that this morning, huh? Was that, uh -- was that your idea to show daddy you got the killer instinct, too? Is that what that was?
- Lionel Luthor-2: Are you making an accusation against my son? No one will take your word, you're a convicted felon. You should have stayed out of the spotlight, but you wanted celebrity. You made one fatal mistake -- you trusted them, the people. They're vulgar, uneducated, and stupid, and they don't even know when you're fighting for them. Must be heart-wrenching.
- Oliver Queen: Well, you got it all figured out. I'll tell you what -- I wouldn't underestimate the common man in tomorrow's vote. When the VRA's repealed and my name is cleared, I'm coming after you.
- Lionel Luthor-2: No, you're wrong. Tomorrow, the people will turn on you again, believe me. You missed the mark, Green Arrow.
- Alexander Luthor: And now its our turn... again.
- Alexander Luthor: No second chances, Lionel. It's time to end this family feud.
- Lionel Luthor-2: Alexander, please listen to me.
- Alexander Luthor: I know I'm dying. I'm aging faster and faster. I have all of Lex's memories. And he despised every single one of you.
- Lionel Luthor-2: Listen. Listen to me, son. Don't let hate master you. Make it your servant. Use it. Let it build inside of you. Hate can make you strong. I can teach you how.
- Alexander Luthor: There's nothing left for you to teach me.
- Clark Kent: I want to be the man that you made that suit for.
- Martha Kent: Clark, you don't need a suit the be the world's hero.
- Clark Kent: Well, when I saw those people willing to defend me, it was inspiring. It got me to thinking that, in order for The Blur to be a true beacon of hope, maybe people need to see my face, too. I've been to the future, and I saw the hero that I will become to save the city. But I also saw me -- I mean... Clark Kent -- disguised behind glasses and a bad haircut.
- Martha Kent: Well, I'm sure you still looked very handsome.
- Clark Kent: Mom, I don't how I can treat Clark Kent as a disguise. I mean, you and dad raised me to be who I am right now -- the real Clark Kent.
- Martha Kent: What's real is your strength and integrity and compassion. As long as you remain honest to those things, it doesn't matter what you wear or what name you go by, because... you'll always be my son.
- Clark Kent: So, you're saying that I should become that hero and step into the light?
- Martha Kent: Clark, you are the light.
- Lois Lane: My Turkish is a little rusty, but it seems someone managed to pull off a supersave there, and now Ankara's also wondering who America's Blur hero is. Meanwhile, in Buenos Aires, they are offering a national commendation to "El Salvador de Rojo y Azul" if he'd stand still long enough to receive it. And I won't even bother with the Chinese because I would just sound racist.
- Oliver Queen: Ya know, when I said that I wanted to spoon you later, this isn't really what I had in mind.
- Chloe Sullivan: We're lying alone together in the dark, okay. I think that counts for something.
- Oliver Queen: Yeah, you're probably right. This is definitely the most romantic of my recent kidnappings. Helluva way to spend an anniversary, right? (Chloe is guilty silent) Oh, gee...you forgot!
- Chloe Sullivan: No. No. No! I did not forget that it's been a year since we started doing.... whatever it is that we've been doing.
- Oliver Queen: Whatever it is that we've...wow. You weren't joking around at the restaurant, were ya? You don't know what to call me.
- Chloe Sullivan: Not in so many words.
- Oliver Queen: Okay!
- Chloe Sullivan: (car hits a bump) Ow!.... Oliver!
- Oliver Queen: We spend every waking moment together. We've said our "I love yous" how many times, huh? Several. What do you call that?
- Chloe Sullivan: Can we talk about this later?
- Oliver Queen: Yeah, no... I'd love to do that... If there is a later.
- Chloe Sullivan: (sighing) You're so dramatic.
- Desaad: I was wondering when we would meet again.
- Clark Kent: What exactly are you, Desaad?
- Desaad: A prophet. A servant, loyal to a far greater power.
- Clark Kent: The darkness.
- Desaad: To Darkseid. When he last laid his eyes upon you, you wore your sin openly. You're much more self-assured now. More love in your heart than when you faced Godfrey. Stronger than when you faced Granny, as well. Sadly incorruptible. They, much like I, have been preparing for something...amazing.
- Clark Kent: And that's why the three of you have been burning your Omega symbols on innocent people.
- Desaad: You act as though the marks weren't there to begin with...but I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise.
- Clark Kent: And I should be wearing a mask. Unfortunately, I've lived my entire life up until this point without needing one. That's why I've been so reluctant. I mean, this is the face that my parents raised. It's the face of the man that you love. And I don't want to deny who I am when I'm out there doing what I was born to do.
- Lois Lane: Then why bother with the jacket, Clark, the symbols?
- Clark Kent: When I'm out there in the red and blue, and I'm saving people, that's who I really am. And I know this is gonna sound weird, but it's not what I'm called that should define who I am. It's who I am that should define what I'm called. Clark Kent - it's...it's just a name. It's just a word. I am The Blur, and I always have been.
- Lois Lane: Clark, you can't just whip out a new costume at work.
- Clark Kent: The Blur is not the disguise, Lois. Clark Kent will be the mask.
- Lois Lane: Okay. Okay, but the only way the glasses are ever going to work...
- Clark Kent: If I adjust my behavior when I use them. I know. The world needs to believe that Clark Kent is way too normal to be...
- Lois Lane: Super.
- Clark Kent: And even though we silenced Godfrey, we shutdown Granny's orphanage, and buried Desaad underneath Belle Reve, it's not the last time we've seen Darkseid. But I'll be ready...(puts on glasses)...hiding in plain sight.
- Lois Lane: So you're willing to dial back the hometown hero and crank up the Average Joe?
- Clark Kent: If that's what it takes to be the hero the people need, (glasses slide down a little; he pushes glasses up nose in iconic fashion)...yes, Miss Lane, I am.
- Clark Kent: (to Chloe) You don't think we...?
- Chloe Sullivan: Exchanged vows?
- Clark Kent: Uh, well, I mean...
- Chloe Sullivan: Said "I do"?
- Clark Kent: ...both...
- Chloe Sullivan: Did the deed? God, don't say the word "consummate." The answer has to be "no."
- Oliver Queen: How the hell did we end up here, anyway?
- Lois Lane: Oh, I have no idea. But in that green getup of yours, we're gonna stand out like a hooker in a church.
- Oliver Queen: (looks down and notice he's wearing a sea foam colored tuxedo jacket) What?
- Lois Lane: Yeah.
- Oliver Queen: What is this?
- Amos Fortune: You are an eye full. You know, like the Tower in Paris. You put these other hothouse girls to shame.
- Oliver Queen: Thanks, man.
- Chloe Sullivan: You're not alone, Clark Kent. In all my globe-trotting, I have met several others like you - a billionaire with high tech toys and a wondrous woman who's gonna throw you for a loop.
- Tess Mercer: Hey, hound dog. You really rocked this town.
- Dr. Emil Hamilton: I suppose that's supposed to be humorous?
- Tess Mercer: It's just... well, it was a nice surprise to see our mild-manner doctor have a special power of his own.
- Lionel Luthor-2: I applaud your efforts, but you can't hide Alexander from me forever.
- Tess Mercer: I'm saving him from an encore performance of "Daddy Dearest".
- Lionel Luthor-2: Give me my son.
- Tess Mercer: I'm surprised that you are so hell-bent on this family reunion, given the fact that on this world it was Lex that sent Lionel plummeting to his death.
- Lionel Luthor-2: That's proof that the Lex you knew was a true Luthor.
- Clark Kent: Conner has... he's only half Lex, it turns out.
- Lois Lane: What? Okay, if you say the other half is Tess, I'm going to officially write that family off for good.
- Clark Kent: Lois, the other half is me.
- Lois Lane: Are you trying to tell me that Conner is the genetic love child of Clark Kent and Lex Luthor?
- Clark Kent: You don't have to say it like that.
- Clark Kent: Everything we do with our abilities is our responsibility. That's why we have to learn to control them before they control us. That's why we practice.
- Conner Kent: I lifted the tractor without any practice.
- Clark Kent: When you put it down, you broke the beam behind the stall.
- Lionel Luthor-2: (incapacitates Clark with kryptonite) No. You'll never take my son.
- Conner Kent: What are you doing?!
- Lionel Luthor-2: Eliminating the one person who stands in the way of your destiny.
- Clark Kent: Let him go!
- Lionel Luthor-2: Let's go, son. Remember who you are. You are meant to become a god. Together, we can make sure you do.
- Conner Kent: I know who I am. (destroys the kryptonite with his heat vision to save Clark)
- Conner Kent: I'm not like you, Clark. I mean, maybe on the outside with what I can do, but what that ring brought out in me -- that was all Lex.
- Clark Kent: There's a shadow inside all of us. But that doesn't mean you need to embrace it. You decide who you really are. And I know you'll make the right choice and become the hero you're destined to be.
- Conner Kent: That means a lot coming from you. Well, if you feel that way, maybe, uh, I should start dressing for the part. (opens his jacket, revealing a black t-shirt with House of El family crest) I know I have a lot to learn. But when you feel I'm ready to join the team, I'd like to.
- Lois Lane: You want to help me out here?
- Clark Luthor: You're kinda cute when you squirm.
- Lois Lane: Okay, bonus.
- Clark Luthor: Listen, Tess, I know better than anyone what it's like to walk around with a--a mark on you. It's lonely.
- Tess Mercer: Being the world's greatest hero is just a little bit different than being Satan's child.
- Clark Luthor: Angel or devil is in the eye of he who beholds it.
- Tess Mercer: "He who beholds it"? What have you been watching a little too much BBC lately?
- Clark Kent: Look, this may be hard for you to understand considering everything that's happened to you in this world. You taught me so much. You taught me to be fair and honest. You taught me the only person in control of your destiny...
- Jonathan Kent-2: Is you.
- Clark Kent: You were the man that I tried to live up to. You didn't have powers, and you didn't have a destiny to save the world, but you were my hero. And I lost you.
- Jonathan Kent-2: You don't even know me. I'm just an obsessed man hanging onto a place as if memories could make up a lifetime.
- Clark Kent: This place isn't your home. Martha is. It's not the place, it's the people in it. And Martha's still here. You still have a chance. It's better to risk everything than hold onto nothing.
- Jonathan Kent-2: Who told you that?
- Clark Kent: You did.
- Clark Kent: You made yourself the most hated man in your world. But there's still a chance of redemption for you.
- Clark Luthor: Redemption? Looks like the two of us have different preoccupations.
- Clark Kent: I'm sorry that you weren't found by Jonathan and Martha Kent. The thing is, you could have killed Tess in an instant. But something was holding you back. You can go to your world and show people what you can give them, change their minds.
- Clark Luthor: Why would you ever believe in me?
- Clark Kent: Because I know you. And Lionel's not there anymore. You don't need to be defined by your past, you can choose a different future. So trust me.
- Jaime Reyes: Who are you?
- Booster Gold: I'm sure you're all wondering who I am. Well, how about the 411? I'm pure gold, ladies and gentlemen. I am Booster Gold, the greatest hero you've never heard of...till now!
- Clark Kent: (to Booster Gold) The suit doesn't make the hero. A hero's made in the moment by the choices that he makes and the reasons that he makes them. A hero brings out the best in people. I don't doubt behind that star, there is a hero...but I haven't seen him. Not yet.
- Skeets: May I offer a piece of advice from your former career, sir?
- Booster Gold: Football?
- Skeets: Go big or go home.
- Booster Gold: Well, you know what? I've got some advice for you too.
- Clark Kent: What's that?
- Booster Gold: "The Blur." No. No, no, no. It sounds like a roller coaster or something. You need something strong. You need something simple. Something that actually starts with that "S" you wear. Something...super. You got to brand it, baby. You know?
- Clark Kent: I'll start brainstorming.
- Ted Kord: This boy is absolutely unique. He managed to shut down the scarab.
- Lois Lane: I'm guessing not everyone has what it takes to do that. So, Mr. Kord, does this mean that you'll be able to remove it from him?
- Jaime Reyes: I-- No. I mean, will that take away the powers it gives me?
- Ted Kord: Yes, but--
- Jaime Reyes: I want to learn how to use them. I want to be a hero like Booster Gold.
- Booster Gold: I don't know, kid. You know... what do you say we give Miss Lane here an exclusive on the real hero of the day?
- Clark Kent: Hey, Lois. Where can I put this box?
- Lois Lane: Well, I don't think that requires any super-sleuthing. It does say "living room."
- Clark Kent: No, I can decipher your scrawl. I'm just thinking it was mislabeled.
- Lois Lane: If you're talking about my Whitesnake throw pillow, loving everything about me includes the sentimental. I made this from my 8th grade concert t-shirt. And I talked to Oliver, and he told me how smoothly he and Chloe fused their hero green and geek chic.
- Clark Kent: Don't worry. My "for better or worse" will include your love of hair metal.
- Oliver Queen: Listen, about this Zone, Clark -- You know, when you said Jor-El built a prison, I kind of pictured something more confined than a national park.
- Clark Kent: He built this place so Krypton's worst criminals could have some kind of life.
- Oliver Queen: Sounds like a real sweetheart.
- General Zod: I know, it's a terrible feeling. So powerless when you know you've got such strength inside of you, with no way of unleashing it.
- Clark Kent: Even without the yellow sun, I will find a way to defeat you.
- General Zod: You'll have to work twice as hard. Because when I arrived here, I met a very special acquaintance, someone you know, and someone that I'm very, very...fond of.
- Clark Kent: Who?
- General Zod: Me.
- Clark Kent: The original Zod's phantom.
- General Zod: Finally back in the body that you stripped me of. Now I have the full knowledge of two lives, and you...you are my enemy in both.
- Clark Kent: I defeated you in both.
- General Zod: Which is why it will give double the satisfaction to see you kneel...and serve...until you die.
- Clark Kent: You have the console crystal. How?
- General Zod: We're blood brothers, Kal-El. Have you forgotten how you healed me with your blood on Earth?
- Clark Kent: We're not brothers. I saved you because it was the right thing to do. We have nothing in common.
- General Zod: We're from the same world. Do you really think that having powers is the only thing that makes you Kryptonian? It's not. We share the same instincts. We're decisive...single-minded, headstrong. We were meant to be leaders.
- Clark Kent: Leaders? You're a tyrant who believes only in himself.
- General Zod: Who else should I put my faith in? We both know that trusting others is a calculated risk, one a Kryptonian is not willing to take. Oh, we can easily fool those closest to us, can't we? But we can lean on no one. Do you remember that most famous story about two brothers from your adopted planet? You've got Cain and Abel. Which brother are you, Kal-El?
- Clark Kent: Well, I'd never murder you. I saved you.
- General Zod: You exiled me. I'm in charge here. And you're about to find out what that means, brother.
- General Zod: I've seen what Darkseid is capable of.
- Oliver Queen: What do you know?
- General Zod: After the Kandorians sent me here, a very powerful entity came looking for me. Darkseid promised me lordship of this dominion if I solved one problem for him.
- Oliver Queen: Clark.
- General Zod: Darkseid has certain ambitions for your planet.
- Oliver Queen: The thing is, we took care of that. We blocked him. Took out three of his three little minions, too.
- General Zod: Kal-El might delude himself as usual, that's how he's won, but there are millions -- millions on Earth just waiting to surrender to the will of Darkseid, and you friend, are one of them.
- Jor-El: Kal-El, my son, you have returned.
- Clark Kent: Jor-El, I come here today as a Kryptonian, as a member of your house, and your son. In honor of our home, I'm here to declare my desire to start a life bond with this woman...Lois Lane.
- Jor-El: Lois Lane, do you truly intend to initiate a life union with my son?
- Lois Lane: I do.
- Jor-El: Your pledge is observed. If your lives are to be joined, then you must both understand.
- Oliver Queen: I'm starting to regret not packing my intergalactic dictionary about now. No way these are Celtic.
- Kara Kent: No. They're Apokolyptian.
- Oliver Queen: (sees Kara trapped in a ray beam) You're Clark's cousin, Kara, right?
- Kara Kent: Yeah.
- Oliver Queen: How long have you been down here? I got to get you out.
- Kara Kent: No, wait. It'll kill you. (throws a rock at the ray beam, rock disintegrates)
- Oliver Queen: Right. Okay. There's got to be some way to turn off this death ray from hell.
- Oliver Queen: So let me get this straight -- whoever wields the Bow of Orion can use it to vanquish darkness. Is that what you're saying?
- Kara Kent: According to the prophecy, yeah.
- Oliver Queen: Well, that's me. Think about it -- a bow, right? The medium is the message.
- Kara Kent: You never told me why you were seeking it.
- Oliver Queen: Well, promise you won't tell anyone, but I'm trying to change my fate. The Bow of Orion is the key. It worked for him, right?
- Kara Kent: Only after he found the strength to turn away from the darkness, even though that meant turning away from his father.
- Oliver Queen: Orion is Darkseid's son.
- Kara Kent: Yes. He was raised by someone who believes in spreading the light instead of the darkness his birthfather created. And eventually he swore to serve that light instead.
- Jor-El: There are two paths laid before you, Kara. You can leave Earth now and allow Kal-El to embrace his destiny, or you can stay and help him, risking the future of this planet.
- Kara Kent: Kal-El and I have fought Darkseid before.
- Jor-El: You involved Kal-El against my wishes. He was too weak then, and he was almost overcome by darkness. You have grown strong. Your will is no longer at the mercy of my command. You will need that strength to forge your own path. It is in your hands to choose.
- Kara Kent: You want me to just walk away?
- Jor-El: Kara, your own destiny is written. It is in another place and time. But this is Kal-El's battle, and he must fight it alone. Even though a time will come when he turns away from me, in the end, he will make the right decision. He is ready. This is his time.
- Kara Kent: He's the only family I have left. I have to at least warn him.
- Jor-El: Sometimes the greatest sacrifice a person can make is to give up what they hold most dear.
- Jor-El: Kal-El, I trust you found my gift to the both of you illuminating.
- Clark Kent: It wasn't a gift. It was a trial. And it wasn't about Lois appreciating what it was like to have my abilities or me realizing what it was like to be human. It was about control.
- Jor-El: Your trials are not a riddle, Kal-El. They are stepping stones on a long path.
- Clark Kent: A path that I have blindly walked forever, but I understand now. This whole time, it's been up to me to decide when to take control of my own destiny. The trials end when I'm ready for them to end.
- Jor-El: Your journey is far from over.
- Clark Kent: But I can only be what the world needs when I can finally admit that I am no longer just the son of Jor-El or Jonathan Kent. And you knew the time would come when neither of you can guide me anymore, and that time...is now. Goodbye, Jor-El.
Finale Part 1
- Chloe Sullivan: "This is the story of an amazing boy who grew up in the fields of Kansas in a little town called Smallville. When he became a man, he believed the only way to seize his destiny was to turn his back on both his parents and refused to see the darkness descending on Earth. But all that was about to change. He was about to face his greatest challenge."
- Granny Goodness: I want to give your soul eternal life! Please, Lutessa, let me save you!
- Tess Mercer: From what?
- Granny Goodness: Darkseid's Apokolips. Evil in its purest form -- the heart of human nature, obscured over time as something to be cast away rather than embraced. Hades, Kali -- even the word "Lucifer" is an old Latin phrase meaning "morning star," "bringer of light." I'm afraid the centuries and translations have twisted Darkseid's true gifts. But before the end of days, his rapture will be the only salvation.
- Tess Mercer: I will never join you.
- Granny Goodness: Farewell, my child. Bless your soul.
- Tess Mercer: Wait. When? I mean, what do you mean? When? When is this hell coming?
- Granny Goodness: It's not coming, Lutessa. It's upon us.
- Lois Lane: There's no Chloe quip that's gonna change my mind. Clark can hear the world's cries for help, and he's duty-bound to answer the call. I'm not gonna stand in his way.
- Chloe Sullivan: He can't listen all the time, Lois. He's not God. He can't be aware of every bird or blade of grass, okay? He's a man. And sometimes he needs to not listen. He needs to rest, to love, to laugh. And when he finally does to decide to take to the skies, he's gonna need you to ground him.
- Lois Lane: Well, that's what I'm afraid of. I'm grounding him, keeping him from soaring to new heights.
- Chloe Sullivan: Oh, Lois...that is so not what he thinks. But since you're not gonna meet him at the altar...(gives Clark's vows to her)...you should hear that from his own words.
- Lois Lane: (wedding vows to Clark) I wanted these vows to be perfect, but perfection's a hard thing to get your hands on. But life is meant to be a little messy. And when it comes to love, I think it's like my dad always said about the army. You only sign up if it's the only thing you can ever imagine doing. And Clark, I cannot imagine spending a moment of my life without you. So I promise that I will always have your back as you will always have mine. You're my best friend, you're my home, and you are my true love, and I am yours and will be forever.
- Clark Kent: (wedding vows to Lois) I Clark Kent take you Lois Lane to be my companion, forever. And with you by my side I will never be alone. Though the world sees a strong and independent woman, I've never known someone with such gentle grace and more pure heart. When I've been lost you've always been there to bring me back, so on this day, at this moment, I pledge the rest of my life to you. You've always believed in me, and I believe in you. And when you believe in someone it's not for a minute, or just for now, it's forever.
Finale Part 2
- Clark Kent: Lois, we know the prophets use the people's darkness to mark them with an Omega. What we don't know is why. And Tess quoted one of the prophecies as saying that the markings weren't just spiritual. There's some sort of anti-life dark force that could bring about the Apokolips.
- Lois Lane: You mean like bringing a giant planet crashing into ours?
- Clark Kent: Exactly like that. Maybe the marking has some sort of unexplainable gravitational pull.
- Lois Lane: Too bad anti-life equations aren't covered in Physics 101.
- Clark Kent: I need to figure out a way to lift the darkness and break whatever's binding these people to that planet.
- Lois Lane: Today definitely tops Chloe's Wall of Weird. Exactly how many are marked?
- Clark Kent: (scans the people in the room with his x-ray vision, they are marked with the Omega) More than you want to know.
- Lex Luthor: Hello, Clark. Can't say I love what you've done with the place.
- Clark Kent: Lex.
- Lex Luthor: You still say it the same way -- astonishment mixed with a hint of dread, yet... with a hopeful finish.
- Clark Kent: You're alive.
- Lex Luthor: Seems my father had a... a change of heart. And I got a second chance of life.
- Clark Kent: Where's Tess? What have you done with her?!
- Lex Luthor: She's fine. I wouldn't worry so much about my dear little sister. You know, I used to think it was our families who made us who we are. Then I hoped it was our friends. But if you look at history, the great men and women of the world have always been defined by their enemies.
- Clark Kent: You have a second chance. You can change all that.
- Lex Luthor: But that's the thing about memories -- you can't forget them. Like how you're always one step ahead of me, Clark. No matter how meticulously I prepared, no matter how strategic I was, if only I'd known I never stood a chance.
- Clark Kent: It wasn't a competition.
- Lex Luthor: Of course it wasn't. You were born to be the chosen one. You're simply better than us.
- Clark Kent: And that always killed you.
- Lex Luthor: No. No, what killed me is that you didn't even want it. You fought it -- you hid from it! I would have taken it and relished it, embraced it.
- Clark Kent: My destiny wasn't yours to take!
- Lex Luthor: I get that now. Which is why I finally embraced my own. You and I... we will both be great men. Because of each other, we have a destiny together, Clark... only on different sides.
- Clark Kent: I'll always be there to stop you. Always.
- Lex Luthor: Oh, I'm counting on it.
- Jor-El: Your journey has come to an end, Kal-El.
- Clark Kent: I shouldn't have tried to push away my Kryptonian side. My strength is accepting it -- accepting you.
- Jor-El: You honor me. A father's pride cannot be measured in words, but know that I'm proud of you, son.
- Clark Kent: You have no idea how long I've waited to hear you say that.
- Jor-El: We have been down our long road, Kal-El -- one paved with difficult trials. Those trials are behind you now. Any father can only hope that he is one day humbled by the feats of his son. But it is your soul, Kal-El, of which I am most proud. You -- and you alone -- possess the courage, the determination, and the compassion that will be required of you to lift the darkness from the Earth. (returns the suit to Clark) I ask you to remember one thing. Your abilities may be of my blood, but it is your time in Smallville, with Jonathan and Martha Kent and all the people there, that made you a hero, Kal-El.
- Jonathan Kent: Always hold on to Smallville. (hands the suit over to Clark)
- Lois Lane: How many "Great Caesar's ghosts"?
- Jimmy Olsen: Four, before his coffee. But...did you get my shots?
- Lois Lane: Love the framing, love the colors. Where's the drama?
- Jimmy Olsen: Um... Um, did you see the one with the elephant?
- Lois Lane: The Man of Steel deserves something better than a circus incident and a fender-bender. I want pecs, I want cape, I want pearly whites.
- Jimmy Olsen: Yes, Miss Lane.
- Lois Lane: Great. Your brother left big shoes for you to fill, Olsen. I know you're up to the task.
- Clark Kent: (The last line of the series, to Lois) Just tell the minister I'm gonna be a few minutes late.
- Tom Welling - Clark Kent (Season 1 - 11)
- Allison Mack - Chloe Sullivan (Season 1 - 9; 11; recurring season 10)
- Kristin Kreuk - Lana Lang (Season 1 - 7; recurring season 8; 11)
- Michael Rosenbaum - Lex Luthor (Season 1 - 7; 11 and Guest Star in Season 10)
- Eric Johnson - Whitney Fordman (Season 1 - 2; 4)
- Sam Jones III - Pete Ross (Season 1 - 3; 7)
- Annette O'Toole - Martha Kent (Season 1 - 6; 9; 10 - 11)
- John Schneider - Jonathan Kent (Season 1 - 5; 10 - 11)
- John Glover - Lionel Luthor (Season 1 - 7; 10)
- Erica Durance - Lois Lane (Season 4 - 11)
- Jensen Ackles - Jason Teague (Season 4)
- Justin Hartley - Oliver Queen (Season 6 - 11)
- Aaron Ashmore - Jimmy Olsen (Season 6 - 8; 10)
- Laura Vandervoort - Kara (Season 7 - 8; 10 - 11)
- Cassidy Freeman - Tess Mercer (Season 8 - 11)
- Sam Witwer - Davis Bloome (Season 8)
- Callum Blue - Zod (Season 9 and Guest Star in Season 10)