Smallville (season 1)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- [after finding Clark]
- Jonathan Kent: Kids just don't fall out of the sky, Martha.
- Martha Kent: Then where did he come from?
- Jonathan Kent: I don't know. But he must have parents.
- [they both find the space ship]
- Martha Kent: Well, if he does, they're definitely not from Kansas.
- Jonathan Kent: Sweetheart, we can't keep him. What are we gonna tell people? We found him out in a field?
- Martha Kent: We didn't find him... he found us.
- Lana Lang: Nietzsche? I didn't know you have a dark side, Clark.
- Clark Kent: Doesn't everyone?
- Lana Lang: So what are you: Man or Superman?
- Clark Kent: I haven't figured it out yet.
- Jonathan Kent: Your real parents weren't exactly from around... here.
- Clark Kent: Where are they from?
- [Jonathan looks up at the sky]
- Clark Kent: What are you trying to tell me, Dad? That I'm from another planet? [sarcastically] I suppose you stashed my spaceship in the attic?
- Jonathan Kent: Actually, it's in the storm cellar.
- Chloe Sullivan: Pete, do you want to take a commercial break from the soap opera in your head? I've told you a hundred times; I'm not interested in Clark.
- Pete Ross: Your vehement denial has been duly noted!
- Clark Kent: I didn't dive in after Lex's car! It hit me at 60 miles an hour! Does that sound normal to you? I'd give anything to be normal.
- [after saving a boy from an explosion]
- Clark Kent: You need to talk to Mom. I think I really freaked her out this time.
- Jonathan Kent: You also made her really proud, Clark.
- Clark Kent: Dad, something else happened to me this morning. When I woke up, I was... kind of floating.
- Jonathan Kent: Floating?
- Clark Kent: As soon as I woke up, I crashed. I mean, Dad, what's happening to me?
- Jonathan Kent: I honestly don't know. As soon as you start breaking the law of gravity, we're definitely in uncharted territory.
- Lex Luthor: [to Clark] Save any more lives on your way over? Keep it up and you could make a career out of it.
- Chloe Sullivan: I hate it when you do that.
- Clark Kent: Do what?
- Chloe Sullivan: Just shut me out. It's like one minute, you're here; the next, you're gone. Clark, you're not outgrowing me as a friend, are you?
- Clark Kent: Chloe, I could never outgrow you. Other than vertically.
- Chloe Sullivan: It's amazing how far that Kent charm will get you.
- Lana Lang: Life is about change, sometimes it's painful, sometimes it's beautiful, but most of the time it's both.
- [talking about Lana's boyfriend]
- Lex Luthor: The kid that Kent saved today?
- Lana Lang: I just came back from seeing him. He's lucky Clark was there.
- Lex Luthor: I know the feeling... kinda makes you wonder if you're with the right guy. One chucks footballs; the other helps save lives.
- Lana Lang: For someone who just moved into town, you've got a lot of opinions.
- Chloe Sullivan: Clark Kent is a football player and Lana Lang is a waitress.
- Pete Ross: What's the matter with that?
- Chloe Sullivan: Nothing, I just want to click my heels and get back to reality.
- Lex Luthor: You both stood your ground and are doing what you want. I caved. You two have inspired me.
- Clark Kent: [sarcastically] Oh yeah. Joining the football team and pouring some coffee. We're a couple of real rebels.
- Lana Lang: Long live the revolution.
- Lionel Luthor: You get one.
- Lex Luthor: One what?
- Lionel Luthor: One chance to defy me.
- Lex Luthor: I can't figure out what you hate more -- the fact that my plan works, or that you didn't come up with it first.
- Lionel Luthor: Just remember -- empires aren't built on clever bookkeeping.
- Lex Luthor: Dad, you have no idea what I'm capable of.
- Lex Luthor: My father sent me to Smallville because he'd rather surround himself with drones than people who challenge his archaic business practices.
- Lionel Luthor: You know perfectly well how I feel about you.
- Lex Luthor: Hence I'm at a crap factory in Smallville.
- Lionel Luthor: Did you know the Caesars would send their sons to the furthest most corners of the empire so they could get an appreciation of how the world works?
- Lex Luthor: Whatever helps you sleep at night, Dad.
- Lex Luthor: I promise I'm not a criminal mastermind.
- Clark Kent: I know; a criminal mastermind would have worn a mask.
- Clark Kent: You go through life with a gift you have to keep a secret. When you see everyone around you being normal, you get jealous. You just want to be somebody else.
- Lex Luthor: You came into my life, thinking you could shake me down 'cause I'm just some spoiled rich brat who needed his daddy's protection. Trust me - when I make things disappear, they stay buried.
- [using x-ray vision to find a body]
- Clark Kent: It’s Tina’s mom.
- Pete Ross: Damn. How’d you know she was in there?
- Clark Kent: Because I can see right through the door, Pete.
- Pete Ross: Very funny, Sherlock. How do you think she died?
- Clark Kent: Broken neck... I’m guessing.
- Clark Kent: Mom, if you could see anything, what would you do?
- Martha Kent: Learn to close my eyes.
- Chloe Sullivan: This is what I love about high school parties. People will gather anywhere as long as there's illegally-purchased alcohol and even the slightest chance of hooking up.
- Jonathan Kent: We already talked about that.
- Martha Kent: I talked, you grunted.
- Jonathan Kent: I thought that I was rather articulate.
- Clark Kent: Hello, citizens.
- Martha Kent: I'm not familiar with this child. Where's the moody one? Lives upstairs, runs real fast?
- Clark Kent: Maybe I can help.
- Jonathan Kent: You already have. Last season you saved us four part-time hands.
- Clark Kent: I'm thinking bigger picture. You know, forget about this whole high school thing. Try for a pro sports team. I could make a ton of money in endorsements... [smiles] just trying to lighten up the mood.
- Martha Kent: As much as we'd love to see your face on a cereal box, we'd settle for you getting to school on time.
- Lex Luthor: The hardest thing in the world is telling someone you love, that you like them
- Cassandra Carver: Because we both know... you're not like other people.
- Clark Kent: Sure I am...
- Cassandra Carver: No Clark, I've seen you. Before we ever met. More than once, I've touched people and seen such pain and despair and - But then you were there and the pain was gone. I think that's your destiny, Clark. To save people from fear and darkness. You can fear the future or you can embrace it. The choice is yours.
- Lex Luthor: Life's a journey, Clark; I don't wanna go through it following a roadmap.
- Clark Kent: It still wouldn't kill you to drive more slowly.
- Lex Luthor: I once read about a rich man who survived a hotel fire. He hung onto the ledge for an hour before the fire department rescued him. Afterwards he bought the hotel...always stayed in the room. When they asked him why, he said he figured Fate couldn't find him twice.
- Clark Kent: You might consider rounding those curves at a speed that won't actually break the sound barrier.
- Lex Luthor: Hey, where's the fun in that?
- Lex Luthor: You see, I don't want to do good things, I want to do great things.
- Clark Kent: [doesn't see Lana] Dad, I got the posts in the west field. I hit some granite, but I jammed it through.
- [sees Lana, pauses]
- Lana Lang: Very impressive.
- Clark Kent: Well, I had a sledgehammer.
- Chloe Sullivan: Getting your morning Lana fix?
- Clark Kent: Chloe, don't you ever knock?
- Chloe Sullivan: It's a barn, Clark.
- Clark Kent: Is there a reason you're here early or do you just enjoy busting my chops?
- Chloe Sullivan: Little of both.
- Lex Luthor: I don't care about the past - I believe in the power to reinvent yourself.
- Clark Kent: I can’t believe we’re creeping around looking for road kill.
- Chloe Sullivan: The deer’s in there... the door’s locked. I’m gonna go find a maintenance worker.
- [Clark uses super strength to open the door]
- Clark Kent: Chloe, it’s open.
- Chloe Sullivan: How’d you do that?
- Clark Kent: Kent charm.
- Chloe Sullivan: This is Smallville, Clark. Land of the weird, home of the strange.
- Lex Luthor: I hear you're taking a tour of my plant tomorrow.
- Chloe Sullivan: It's a class field trip.
- Lex Luthor: What'd you do wrong?
- Clark Kent: It's that bad?
- Clark Kent: Look, Earl worked on the farm for six seasons. I spent 12 hours a day with the guy out in the fields. He even tried to teach me how to play guitar. He said it was a good way to impress women.
- Chloe Sullivan: Yeah, we're all a sucker for a guy with a 6-string. How come I've never heard you play?
- Clark Kent: I kept snapping the guitar strings. I think Earl got sick of replacing them.
- Gabe Sullivan: Welcome to LuthorCorp, where we give a crap.
- Chloe Sullivan: (to Clark) Okay, somebody kill me now.
- Gabe Sullivan: A little fertilizer humor there. Before we go inside I need you to remove all your cellphones, pagers, jewelery. Anything that jangles, dangles or rings can go in these plastic trays right here. All right? Any other questions?
- Clark Kent: I heard there was a third level to the plant, is that true?
- Gabe Sullivan: Yeah, that's where we do the alien autopsies.
- Chloe Sullivan: (to Clark) Don't encourage him.
- Pete Ross: What are you gonna do now that you're officially home alone?
- Clark Kent: I was thinking of having a few people over.
- Chloe Sullivan: Do my ears deceive me or is Clark Kent actually suggesting a party?
- Clark Kent: A small gathering. You guys, a few other people, maybe even Lana.
- Chloe Sullivan: With or without her posable action-figure boyfriend?
- Martha Kent: We called six times last night, spoke with six different people, none of whom knew who you were.
- Clark Kent: It was supposed to be an intimate occasion.
- Jonathan Kent: Clark, where have you been?
- Clark Kent: The hospital.
- Martha Kent: That's it. I’m never leaving home again.
- [Lex points to a breastplate with an "S" symbol.]
- Lex Luthor: You know it belonged to Alexander the Great? They said the design symbolizes strength and courage.
- Clark Kent: I can't exactly see myself going into battle with that on my chest.
- Lex Luthor: Darker times call for darker methods. His opponents thought he was invincible.
- Clark Kent: I didn't know you were such a history buff.
- Lex Luthor: I'm not. I'm just interested in people who ruled the world before they were thirty.
- Lana Lang: Don’t worry, Lex. You still have a few years to go.
- Chloe Sullivan: It figures you'd side with her.
- Clark Kent: I'm not taking anyone's side.
- Chloe Sullivan: Yeah right, Clark, you're completely objective in all things Lana.
- Victoria Hardwick: He understands you may have certain negative feelings towards your father.
- Lex Luthor: Sir Harry has always had an incredible grasp of the obvious.
- Clark Kent: Phelan came back after you were arrested. I got so angry that I grabbed him. And for a second, I wanted to... I wanted to kill him.
- Jonathan Kent: But you didn’t, right?
- Clark Kent: Yeah, but I was close.
- Jonathan Kent: Believe me, son, I know all there is to know about losing your temper. But you can’t afford to do it. This is Phelan’s game, and he will play your fear and your anger but you cannot let him get to you.
- Clark Kent: I don’t care. I won’t let anybody hurt you and mom.
- Jonathan Kent: And he knows that. But once you cross that line, there’s no going back.
- Lana Lang: Clark, what happened to you last night?
- Clark Kent: I wasn't feeling well. Guess I'm not much of a city guy.
- Chloe Sullivan: You can take the boy off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the boy.
- Clark Kent: No, I think I'll play it by ear, you know, fly by the seat of my pants...
- Pete Ross: Clark, you're not the flying type.
- Lionel Luthor: Empires are not brought down by outside forces - they are destroyed by weaknesses from within.
- [discussing the blood drive]
- Jonathan Kent: Clark, you know you can't donate.
- Clark Kent: I know, dad but what am I supposed to tell her?
- Martha Kent: That you have a problem with needles, which you technically do.
- Clark Kent: Great, not only do I lie, but I look like a wuss.
- Clark Kent: Have you ever got information that you wish you hadn't?
- Lex Luthor: In my experience I've found you can never have too much information.
- Lana Lang: That's the thing about Clark Kent: he's not always there when you want him... but he's always there when you need him.
- Clark Kent: Don't do this. I'm your friend.
- Lex Luthor: Oh please. You think I don't see the way your parents look at me? The way half the town looks at me? You're no different. Friendship's a fairy tale, Clark. Respect and fear are the best you can hope for.
- Clark Kent: I don't see myself being a farmer when I grow up.
- Lana Lang: What do you want to do?
- Clark Kent: I'm not sure. Just as long as it doesn't involve putting on a suit and doing a lot of flying.
- Lex Luthor: Atticus Finch, To Kill a Mockingbird?
- Clark Kent: Never read it.
- Lex Luthor: You should. You two have a lot in common. Small-town heroes. Believe in the truth. Not willing to back down.
- Clark Kent: How does it end?
- Lex Luthor: It's not about the ending, it's about the journey.
- Clark Kent: What kills me is that I know that I'm right. I just wish I could get them to see it.
- Lex Luthor: That, my friend, is the key to leadership. Not only knowing you're right, but convincing everyone else. If you can do that, the world's your oyster.
- Kyle Tippet: Do you know what it's like to have to hide because of who you are?
- Clark Kent: Yes, I do. But when you have a gift you can't just hide in a hole and hope it goes away.
- Lex Luthor: You can learn a lot from someone you hate.
- Jonathan Kent: You know what they say: lightning never strikes twice in the same place. Look, my guess is that your powers aren't coming back.
- Clark Kent: Maybe being normal won't be so bad; I mean it works for you and Mom.
- Martha Kent: Oh, thanks.
- Clark Kent: You don't feel any differently about me now do you?
- Martha Kent: Clark, you're our son whether you can bench-press the tractor or not.
- Clark Kent: What do I do now?
- Jonathan Kent: Well, life isn't easy for anybody, whether you're normal or super. But you're still Clark Kent. You were raised a certain way and that's never gonna change. Sure, your abilities were part of you, but they didn't define you.
- Lex Luthor: [to Victoria] If sleeping with me was just business, I'd hate to think what that makes you.
- Clark Kent: You think I'm hiding something from you? Here. Take this hammer. Hit me anywhere.
- Lex Luthor: I'm not gonna hit you, Clark.
- Clark Kent: Come on! If I can get hit by a car, you can't hurt me.
- Lex Luthor: Clark, I just want the truth.
- Clark Kent: The truth is I'm just a guy who tried to do the right thing. Isn't that enough?
- Lana Lang: Can you imagine waking up one morning and having powers?
- Clark Kent: It's scary... I guess. I mean, look at Eric. It hasn't helped him.
- Lana Lang: That's true. But I still always wished I could fly.
- Clark Kent: Yeah, that'd be something, Lana.
- Jonathan Kent: Clark, your gifts are... well, they're part of you but they don't define you.
- Clark Kent: I know. But they complicate all of our lives.
- Jonathan Kent: Seeing how destructive Eric got, it just reminds me of how special you really are.
- Clark Kent: That's because Eric didn't get my two strongest gifts. You and Mom.
- Clark Kent: I just want to say I'm sorry.
- Chloe Sullivan: For what?
- Clark Kent: Letting you get hurt.
- Chloe Sullivan: Well, I am perturbed with you, Clark. I'm also mad that you didn't put out the Chicago fire of 1871, or prevent the fall of the Roman Empire, making you directly responsible for the Dark Ages.
- Lex Luthor: Clark, you can't save the world. All you'll end up with is a Messiah complex and a lot of enemies.
- Clark Kent: I saved you, didn't I? That turned out all right.
- Clark Kent: Chloe, you can't just go snooping around someone's house.
- Chloe Sullivan: It's a mansion. It's designed for snooping.
- Clark Kent: How you feeling?
- Chloe Sullivan: Like a million bucks... thrown in the washing machine set on spin.
- Clark Kent: The question is, how'd they get inside?
- Pete Ross: I don't know. Now stop channeling Chloe and come on. [Clark uses his x-ray vision] Oh no, not the Kent thousand-yard stare.
- Pete Ross: No offense, Clark, but digging up six pages of interesting on you is going to require some serious excavation.
- Clark Kent: I do stuff...
- Chloe Sullivan: Yes, and I'm sure that once I deploy my journalistic skills on you, I'll be able to unearth a skeleton or two.
- Clark Kent: You know, Chloe, this is a class project, not a corruption scandal.
- Chloe Sullivan: Relax, Clark, it's not like you have anything to hide, right?
- Pete Ross: In a world of designer water, Clark Kent is straight from the tap.
- Jonathan Kent: Let's just say that it's a very long road between what's sitting in our storm cellar and what's written on your birth certificate.
- Pete Ross: There was this bully three grades ahead of us. This dude was determined to pound dents into every kid in the school. One day, I guess it was my turn. He was just about to take my head off when Clark jumped between us.
- Chloe Sullivan: So Clark ran interference. Now, as kind as that sounds, Pete, I really don't think it falls under the "something amazing" test.
- Pete Ross: I'm not finished. Clark didn't just push brain-dead away. He put him through a door, as in splinters and broken hinges. How he did it, I still have no idea. The guy was at least twice our size.
- Chloe Sullivan: Clark, any comments?
- Clark Kent: Uh, well, we were, you know, six years old. Twice our size was three feet tall.
- Clark Kent: My biological parents are either dead or didn't want me. The point is, you're prying into my private life.
- Chloe Sullivan: I was just trying to be thorough.
- Clark Kent: This is a class project. I spent an hour yesterday with Lana. That's it. That's all I needed. I'm not some mystery for you to solve.
- Lex Luthor: This isn't you.
- Lana Lang: Why? Because I'm not doing exactly as I'm told? Because I'm not stuck in a corner hiding in a book? For once I am not afraid of life and nobody can handle it cause you all prefer the insecure little girl. Well I'm sick of her and all of her talk about her dead parents.
- Clark Kent: What's going on with Dad?
- Martha Kent: I don't know. He's been acting strange ever since he got home.
- Jonathan Kent: [Getting a beer from the fridge] Hey, Clark. Football game on TV. You wanna watch it with me?
- Clark Kent: Don't you have work to do?
- Jonathan Kent: Nah, chores can wait. Besides, I earned a rest. You can pick up the slack for me, can't ya?
- Clark Kent: It's good to see this whole hero thing didn't go to your head.
- Lana Lang: You think too much, Clark.
- Clark Kent: Right now, I'm thinking you don't seem like yourself.
- Lana Lang: Or maybe... [starts to undress] ...I'm more me than ever.
- Clark Kent: Lana... this is crazy.
- Lana Lang: That's the point. If life doesn't make you crazy, then why bother living it? I know that's how I want it.
- Lana Lang: I know you want me, Clark. Stop holding back. Come on... you're not made of steel. Or are you?
- Dr. Steven Hamilton: Remember, Lex. You're the one opening Pandora's box.
- Lex Luthor: I'm just the key, Dr. Hamilton.
- Clark Kent: I didn't know you liked comic books.
- Lex Luthor: Are you kidding? A strange visitor from another planet who protects the weak? When I was young he was my idol, not to mention that fact he's bald. I have the whole collection.
- Lex Luthor: I think he saw Julian as his second chance. A chance for him to have a son he could truly love.
- Clark Kent: I'm sorry.
- Lex Luthor: It's in the past, Clark. We would have ended up hating each other anyway. My father would have seen to that.
- Lex Luthor: What could you possibly have to complain about now? The plant's doing well. LuthorCorp stock is up.
- Lionel Luthor: I'm not here to complain, Lex. On the contrary, your performance lately has been... more than adequate.
- Lex Luthor: That sounds dangerously like a compliment.
- Ryan James: Are you sure you don't want to know how Lana feels about you?
- Clark Kent: I prefer to find out on my own.
- Ryan James: Clark, be careful of Lex. I know you like him, but there's a lot of darkness he keeps from the world. I've seen it in his head.
- Clark Kent: I like to believe in people's best.
- Lex Luthor: You know what those emperors you're so fond of talking about were really afraid of? That their sons would become successful and return to Rome at the head of their own army.
- Lionel Luthor: You think you can find your future in Smallville? I'm your future. Join me, Lex. Join me in Metropolis. How long have you been waiting to hear me to say those words?
- Lex Luthor: I've waited to hear other things from you for a lot longer. I'll return to Metropolis when I'm ready.
- Lione Luthorl: At the head of an army?
- Lex Luthor: Do you know what my father gave me for my tenth birthday? A copy of The Will to Power.. Behold the super man. Man is something to be overcome." Sun Tzu, Machiavelli, Nietzsche. They were the voices that nurtured me after my mother died. My father made every question a quiz, every choice a test. Second best was for losers, compassion for losers, trust no one. Those were the lessons I grew up with.
- Dominic Sanatori: I'll remember that if I'm ever interviewed by the biography channel.
- Lex Luthor: All I'm saying, Dominic, is try and remember who I was raised by. I try to deny it, but I'm still my father's son. Tread carefully.
- Lex Luthor: Do you have a family photo?
- Jonathan Kent: Yeah, I got lots of family photos, Lex.
- Lex Luthor: The only picture of my father and me appears in the LuthorCorp annual report.
- Jonathan Kent: Is this the part where I'm supposed to feel sorry for you?
- Lex Luthor: No. I just want you to understand if I'm guilty of anything regarding your family, it's envy.
- Lex Luthor: In his own way, he's just trying to give you something my father never gave me.
- Clark Kent: What's that?
- Lex Luthor: Limitations. All my father ever told me was "Don't get caught. Don't cause a scandal." That's not love, that's public relations. You have no idea how lucky you are. When my father dies, kings will come to his funeral, but when yours does, his friends will come.
- Lex Luthor: Let's be frank, Dominic. My father sent you here to spy on me because he's afraid of how well I'm doing. This was my last chance to prove myself and he just assumed I'd fail. Now he has to revise his definition of me. I'm not just his screw-up son anymore. Now I'm competition. And my father only knows one way of dealing with competition.
- Dominic Santori: There are some things better left between patient and therapist, Lex.
- Lex Luthor: You know, in ancient Persia, the kings would kill a messenger who brought them news they didn't like. In modern times, a sword in the chest might seem a little extreme. Something more subtle would be in order. Enjoying your drink?
- Clark Kent: Dad, I know how we can catch more fish this year.
- Jonathan Kent: What, new lures?
- Clark Kent: X-ray vision.
- Lex Luthor: There's nothing wrong with a good fight. Just remember, the man of tomorrow is forged by his battles today.
- Clark Kent: Could I use that? I mean, "the man of tomorrow" for my slogan?
- Lex Luthor: Knock yourself out.
- Chloe Sullivan: I just want to know what you stand for.
- Clark Kent: I stand for truth, justice, and... other stuff.
- Chloe Sullivan: Okay, well, I think the man of tomorrow needs to get a platform for today.
- Chloe Sullivan: So how goes the platform?
- Clark Kent: I haven't started working on it yet. I've been so busy meeting new people, I even got invited to parties this weekend.
- Chloe Sullivan: I can't believe it only took one day for you to be compromised by the lure of popularity.
- Clark Kent: Remind me to pull your funding after I'm elected.
- Pete Ross: This is just a pit stop. We wanted to take advantage of your 2-for-1 deal.
- Lana Lang: I figure that's the last step before I institute topless waitressing.
- Pete Ross: Well, here's to hoping it fails miserably.
- Chloe Sullivan: Well, my candidate may have won, but my friends lost. I'm really proud of you tonight, Clark.
- Clark Kent: Why?
- Chloe Sullivan: Because you're exhibiting dignity in the face of defeat. It's the quality that all great leaders possess.
- Danny Kwan: I see you in a uniform flying. You ever considered a career in the air force?
- Clark Kent: Um, I'll think about it.
- Clark Kent: We see each other every day.
- Chloe Sullivan: It was 45 minutes when my car happened to break down outside the Talon and you gave me a ride home. I practically had to tear you away from Lana.
- Clark Kent: Don't you think you're being just a little unfair?
- Chloe Sullivan: No. Whenever Lex and Lana are around, it's like the rest of us don't exist.
- Clark Kent: Wait, Chloe, why are you being so hypersensitive?
- Chloe Sullivan: You know, most men are from Mars, Clark, but you're from some distant galaxy that I've never even heard of.
- Clark Kent: Chloe likes me.
- Lana Lang: So how do you feel about her?
- Clark Kent: Like maybe we could be more than friends. When I saw her with Justin today, I got kinda...
- Lana Lang: Jealous?
- Clark Kent: It's like you find out this secret and it colors everything. I just can't believe I never saw it before.
- Lana Lang: Sometimes the right person can be right in front of your eyes and you never even know it.
- Clark Kent: I've always liked Lana, but I can never get near her. I just found out that Chloe likes me and I think I may have feelings for her too.
- Lex Luthor: So which one do you want to pursue?
- Clark Kent: That's the thing, I want to protect my friendship with both.
- Lex Luthor: Then you'll never get either one.
- Lex Luthor: Clark, love isn't about playing it safe. It's about risks. Unless you're willing to put yourself out there, you'll never know.
- Clark Kent: Have you ever been in love before?
- Lex Luthor: I've only loved two women in my life. One died and the other betrayed me.
- Clark Kent: I'm sorry.
- Lex Luthor: Some people are meant to be alone.
- Clark Kent: The printer's jammed, the scanner's broken, and the Spring Formal event schedule is late. Chloe leaves for a day and the Torch goes down in flames.
- Lana Lang: It's safe to say we won't lose you to the entrancing world of journalism.
- Clark Kent: I'm just afraid that if Lana sees me with another girl, she's going to think that the door is closed.
- Martha Kent: The door is closed, Clark. And you need to admit that to yourself.
- Clark Kent: Dad, Lex is just trying to do the right thing.
- Jonathan Kent: I know he is, Clark. I know he didn't try to buy me off, he's just trying to repay me for damages that he thinks he caused. You're right, I got no real reason to doubt him. It's just something in my gut tells me I should.
- Clark Kent: Lex isn't perfect, Dad. I know that. But slamming the door in his face over and over only helps turn him into exactly what you think he already is.
- Jonathan Kent: When did you get to be so wise?
- Clark Kent: Ask my dad.
- Clark Kent: You know, I remember the first time I met Chloe. It was eighth grade. She'd just transferred from Metropolis and I was assigned to show her around. The first thing she wanted to know was where she could buy a copy of the Planet so she could keep in touch with civilization. When she found out I lived on a farm, she insisted I invite her over to experience it first hand. I think she thought I was Amish. When I brought her up here, she just kissed me, right out of the blue.
- Lana Lang: Why'd she do that?
- Clark Kent: She said "I know you've been thinking about that all day, so I figured we'd get it out of the way and be friends."
- Lex Luthor: I found a man. He said something besides the meteors came down that day.
- Clark Kent: Like what?
- Lex Luthor: A ship.
- Clark Kent: And you believe him?
- Lex Luthor: I listened. Chances are he's just another crackpot, but I'd be remiss if I didn't check it out.
- Clark Kent: And when the next story comes up, you'll be sure to check that one out too. When are you going to be able to put your past behind you?
- Lex Luthor: Take a look at the stars, Clark. Some of them have been extinguished for thousands of years, but their light is only reaching us now. The past is always influencing the present. I can't change that. All I can do is try to understand it.
- Lionel Luthor: We're in business to make profits, not friends! You can't let your emotions get in the way of making tough decisions.
- Lex Luthor: Don't lecture me about letting emotions get in the way! This plant was showing a profit. You're only shutting it down because I wouldn't go work for you in Metropolis.
- Lionel Luthor: Lex, you may have felt that you found a home here, but you were mistaken! This was just your training ground. Well, your training is over! You're coming home, son.
- Clark Kent: Why would your father be against the plant?
- Lex Luthor: We have a complicated relationship, Clark. My father wants me to believe it's built on trust, but it's not. It's built on lies and deceit. Any relationship with that foundation is destined to fail. Lucky we don't have that problem.
- Clark Kent: Lucky us.
- Lex Luthor: I don't know. Just got a bad feeling. Kind of like when you can smell the air change before a storm.
- Clark Kent: Storms are a way of life around here, Lex. The trick is not to get caught out in the open.
- Lionel Luthor: It's suicide, Lex! You may get the plant, but you're putting your employee's homes on the line. Forfeiting your own future!
- Lex Luthor: Or forging a new destiny free from you!
- Lionel Luthor: You're not my enemy. You're my son.
- Lex Luthor: I never saw the distinction.
- Lionel Luthor: When Alexander the Great was dying, his generals asked who he would leave his empire to. If he would appoint a successor, it would keep the legacy intact... prevent generations of bloodshed! His answer was simple, 'I leave it to the strongest.'
- Lex Luthor: I believe the term is 'Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!'
- Lionel Luthor: I'll bury you and everyone in Smallville who takes your side!