Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This theme article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Soul music … arose out of the black experience in America through the transmutation of gospel and rhythm & blues into a form of funky, secular testifying.
- Soul is truth, … no matter where it comes from, no matter how it is presented.
- God would be a very selfish god if he gave all the soul to one race. … When one sings from the heart and it reaches another heart, that's soul.
- There's not many Americans, certainly not many of the teenagers I met when I first went to America, knew anything about [rhythm & blues artists] at all. … They do now, which is very groovy.
- But now if I can wrap myself up in that song, and when that song gets to be a part of me, and affects me emotionally, then the emotions that I go through, chances are I’ll be able to communicate to you. Make the people out there become a part of the life of this song that you’re singing about. That’s soul when you can do that.
- Rhythm and blues used to be called race music. … This music was going on for years, but nobody paid any attention to it.
- When I think of soul, I think of grease 'cause ain't nothin' no good without the grease.
- What they call rock and roll now is rhythm and blues: I've been playing for 15 years in New Orleans.