Anna Mae Bullock (born November 26, 1939), known by her stage name Tina Turner, is a singer, dancer, actress, and author, whose career has spanned more than half a century, earning her widespread recognition and numerous awards. Born and raised in the American South, she is now a Swiss citizen.
- If you are unhappy with anything—your mother, your father, your husband, your wife, your job, your boss, your car—whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.
- I, Tina: My Life Story (1986), p. 199
- Well, it was a church person in the early days, Mahalia Jackson. And Rosetta Tharpe. These spiritual, very strong voices. I only knew that they were figures in the black race, recognizable and respected. But I must admit, I've always covered the songs of males. I haven't followed up on women or listened to that much women's music.
- Her answer on the question who her first musical influences were, as quoted by Mark Bego in Tina Turner: Break Every Rule (2005), p. 18
- I have a simple, childlike view of life, and I want to keep it. That's why I never got into that Beverly Hills world. So many pretentious people. They just aren't real.
- Oprah's Interview with Tina Turner, 2005, p. 10
- I am strong. I lived through a divorce, separation from my family. I never let it break me down. I'm not an alcoholic. I've never smoked, I've never done drugs. I've floated through the disaster of my past clean. I arrived here undamaged.
- When I think of soul, I think of grease 'cause ain't nothin' no good without the grease.
- Sometimes I'm tossed and driven, Lord,
Sometimes I don't know where to go.
My mother and father won't own me,
So I'll try to make heaven my home.
- "I Am a Motherless Child" on Outta Season (1969)
- We never, ever, do nothin' nice and easy. We always do it nice and rough.
- There are two sides to everybody,
A good side and a bad,
A side to make you happy,
A side to make you mad.
- A church house, gin house,
A school house, outhouse
On highway number nineteen,
The people keep the city clean.
- "Nutbush City Limits" (1973)
- King of the jungle,
The lion he roars,
But the lioness calmly
Soothes his soul.
- "Delilah's Power" (first released in 1975 as "Delila's Power") on Delilah's Power (1977)
- People often ask me when am I gonna slow down. You know what I tell 'em? I'm just gettin' started.
- Spoken interlude during "Proud Mary", live at The Apollo, Manchester, 14 March 1979 ("On the Road", VHS)
- What is life without a dream to hold?
Take my hand and never let me go!
- Beyond the power – you find the flower.
Beyond the bound – you find new ground.
- "Calling by Tina" on Children Beyond (2011)
Quotes about Tina Turner
- She's a good-hearted woman in love with a good-timin' man.
She loves him in spite of his ways she don't understand.
With teardrops and laughter they pass through this world hand in hand,
A good-hearted woman, lovin' a good-timin' man.
- Standing up there next to her was the hottest place in the universe.
- David Bowie on joining her onstage in Birmingham, England, during the final concert of her 1985 British tour, as quoted by Ben Cosgrove in Tina Turner: Unpublished Photos of the Queen of Rock 'n' Roll, LIFE magazine online