Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith
Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith is a 2005 space opera film. It is the final film of the Star Wars prequel trilogy. The film is set three years after the start of the Clone Wars; the noble Jedi Knights are spread across the galaxy leading a massive clone army against the Separatists. After Chancellor Palpatine is kidnapped by the evil General Grievous, Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and his former Padawan Anakin Skywalker are dispatched to rescue him. Meanwhile, Anakin's friendship with the Chancellor arouses suspicion in the Jedi Order and proves dangerous to the Jedi Knight himself. When the evil Sith Lord, Darth Sidious, unveils a plot to to take over the galaxy, the fate of Anakin, the Jedi Order, and the entire galaxy is at stake. This film was released in theaters on May 19, 2005 in United States.
- Written and directed by George Lucas.
- War! The Republic is crumbling under attacks by the ruthless Sith Lord, Count Dooku. There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere.
In a stunning move, the fiendish droid leader, General Grievous, has swept into the Republic capital and kidnapped Chancellor Palpatine, leader of the Galactic Senate.
As the Separatist Droid Army attempts to flee the besieged capital with their valuable hostage, two Jedi Knights lead a desperate mission to rescue the captive Chancellor....
- The Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power.
- My mentor taught me everything about the Force, even the nature of the dark side.
- Anakin, if one is to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Jedi. If you wish to become a complete and wise leader, you must embrace...a larger view of the Force. Be careful of the Jedi, Anakin. Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any Jedi! Learn to know the dark side of the Force, and you will be able to save your wife from certain death.
- Anakin. I told you it would come to this. I was right! The Jedi are taking over!!
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: Chancellor.
- Anakin Skywalker: Are you all right?
- Palpatine: [looking behind them] Count Dooku.
- Obi-Wan: This time, we'll do it together.
- Anakin: I was about to say that.
- Palpatine: Get help. You're no match for him, he's a Sith Lord.
- Obi-Wan: [turns and smiles] Chancellor Palpatine, Sith Lords are our speciality.
- Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
- Obi-Wan: You won't get away this time, Dooku.
- Dooku: I've been looking forward to this.
- Anakin: My powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count.
- Dooku: Good. Twice the pride, double the fall.
- [Chancellor Palpatine and Anakin Skywalker talk about Skywalker's dreams]
- Palpatine: Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?
- Anakin: No.
- Palpatine: I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create...life. He had such a knowledge of the Dark Side, he could even keep the ones he cared about...from dying.
- Anakin: He could actually...save people from death?
- Palpatine: The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.
- Anakin: What happened to him?
- Palpatine: He became so powerful, the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power...which, eventually of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew. Then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. Ironic. He could save others from death...but not himself.
- Anakin: Is it possible to learn this power?
- Palpatine: Not from a Jedi.
- [Anakin stops Mace Windu from hurting the Chancellor, severing Windu's hand. Palpatine drops his act and again strikes Windu with force-lightning]
- Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious: [Triumphantly] POWER! UNLIMITED POWER! [sends Windu flying out the window to his death]
- Anakin: [Horrified] What have I done...?!
- Sidious: You're fulfilling your destiny, Anakin. Become my apprentice. Learn to use the Dark Side of the Force.
- Anakin: [exhausted] ...I will do whatever you ask.
- Sidious: Good!
- Anakin: Just help me save Padmé's life. I can't live without her.
- Sidious: To cheat death is the power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I know we can discover the secret.
- Anakin: I pledge myself...to your teachings.
- Sidious: Good. Good...The Force is strong with you. A powerful Sith, you will become. Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth...Vader.
- Darth Vader: Thank you, my master.
- Sidious: Rise...[Vader rises and Sidious goes to his desk] Because the Council did not trust you, my young apprentice, I believe you are the only Jedi with no knowledge of this plot. When the Jedi learn what has transpired here, they will kill us, along with all the Senators.
- Vader: I agree. The Council's next move will be against the Senate.
- Sidious: [Places hood on his head] Every single Jedi, including your friend, Obi-Wan Kenobi, is now an enemy of the Republic.
- Vader: I understand, Master.
- Sidious: We must move quickly. The Jedi are relentless. If they are not all destroyed, it will be civil war without end. First, I want you to go to the Jedi Temple. We will catch them off balance. Do what must be done, Lord Vader. Do not hesitate. Show no mercy. Only then will you be strong enough with the Dark Side to save Padmé.
- Vader: What about the other Jedi spread across the galaxy?
- Sidious: Their betrayal will be dealt with. After you have killed all the Jedi in the Temple, go to the Mustafar system. Wipe out Viceroy Gunray and the other Separatist leaders. Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy! And...we shall have...peace.
- Palpatine: And the Jedi rebellion has been foiled.
- Bail Organa: What's happened?
- Padmé Amidala: The Chancellor has been elaborating on a plot by the Jedi to overthrow the Senate.
- Palpatine: The remaining Jedi will be hunted down and defeated. [applause] The attempt on my life has left me scarred and deformed. But, I assure you, my resolve has never been stronger. [applause] In order to ensure our security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire, for a safe and secure society. [the Senators cheer]
- Padmé: So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause.
- [After the massacre at the Jedi temple]
- Obi-Wan: I've recalibrated the code, warning all surviving Jedi to stay away.
- Yoda: For the clones, to discover the recalibration, a long time, it will take.
- Obi-Wan: Wait, Master. There is something I must know. [inspects a security hologram]
- Yoda: If into the security recordings, you go, only pain, will you find.
- Obi-Wan: I must know the truth, Master. [watches hologram of Anakin/Vader killing Jedi younglings and pledging allegiance to Palpatine; Horrified] It can't be. It can't be!
- Palpatine: [On hologram] You have done well, my new apprentice. Now, Lord Vader, go and bring peace to the Empire.
- Obi-Wan: I can't watch anymore. [deactivates hologram]
- Yoda: Destroy the Sith, we must.
- Obi-Wan: Send me to kill the Emperor. I will not kill Anakin.
- Yoda: To fight this Lord Sidious, strong enough, you are not.
- Obi-Wan: He is like my brother. I cannot do it.
- Yoda: Twisted by the dark side, young Skywalker has become. The boy you trained, gone, he is, consumed by Darth Vader.
- Obi-Wan: I do not know where the Emperor has sent him. I don't know where to look.
- Yoda: Use your feelings, Obi-Wan, and find him, you will.
- [Obi-Wan Kenobi has cut off Vader's legs and part of his remaining good arm on one of Mustafar's higher grounds. Vader is struggling near the lava river]
- Obi-Wan: [anguished] You were the chosen one! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them! Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness! [picks up Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber]
- Vader: I HATE YOU!!!
- Obi-Wan: You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you. [leaves as Vader, now too close to the lava river, catches on fire.]
- [Darth Vader is now a cyborg with prosthetic legs and arms, fully clothed in black armor with respirator mask. The operating table he is on has risen to vertical position]
- Palpatine: Lord Vader, can you hear me?
- Vader: [In mechanical voice] Yes, Master. Where is Padmé? Is she safe? Is she alright?
- Palpatine: It seems, in your anger, you killed her.
- Vader: I...I couldn't have. She was alive! I felt it! [damages several surrounding objects and droids through the Force. He then breaks the clamps that have been holding him down and takes a few steps forward. Palpatine watches, grinning cruelly.] NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
- [After Padmè's death, Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Senator Bail Organa are onboard the Tantive III and are traveling to Naboo while discussing the babies' future]
- Yoda: Hidden, safe, the children must be kept.
- Obi-Wan: We must take them somewhere where the Sith will not sense their presence.
- Yoda: Hmm... Split up, they should be.
- Bail: My wife and I will take the girl. We've always talked about adopting a baby girl. She will be loved with us.
- Obi-Wan: And what of the boy?
- Yoda: To Tatooine. To his family, send him.
- Obi-Wan: I will take the child and watch over him.
- Yoda: Until the time is right, disappear, we will. [Senator Organa and Obi-Wan bow and start to leave] Master Kenobi, wait a moment. In your solitude on Tatooine, training, I have for you.
- Obi-Wan: Training?
- Yoda: An old friend has learned the path to immortality. One who has returned from the netherworld of the Force... Your old master.
- Obi-Wan: [surprised] Qui-Gon?!
- Yoda: How to commune with him, I will teach you.
Quotes about Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith
- Obviously, fans would love to see a movie about Darth Vader running around killing people. I'm not telling that story, and I'm not interested in that. That's not what the movie is.
- This first trilogy is really about the father, the struggles of a father, or a man, basically, to find himself, and at the same time fall into a trap of wanting certain powers, making a pact with the devil and basically spending the rest of his life regretting it.
- George Lucas "Lucas calls new ‘Star Wars’ film a ‘tearjerker’", Today, Mar. 17, 2005.
- This one is a little tougher, and I think children, young children especially, should be warned that this is not your average Star Wars. It's a lot darker. There's a lot more scary stuff in it. It's brutal in places, and they should be aware of that. And at least if it does come out to be a PG-13, the parents are warned to be careful of bringing tiny little kids, like five and six years old, because it might be too much. Know your kids. I have three kids—they’re all grown up now—but when they were six, I knew what I could take them to and couldn't. People think Star Wars is extremely innocent, although we do cut a lot of people in half and cut off a lot of arms.
- Anakin, as Skywalker, as a human being, was going to be extremely powerful, but he ended up losing his arms and a leg and became partly a robot. So a lot of his ability to use the Force, a lot of his powers, are curbed at this point, because, as a living form, there's not that much of him left. So his ability to be twice as good as the Emperor disappeared, and now he's maybe 20 percent less than the Emperor. So that isn’t what the Emperor had in mind. He wanted this really super guy, but that got derailed by Obi-Wan. So he finds that, with Luke, he can get a more primo version if he can turn Luke to the Dark Side. You'll see, as this goes on, Luke is faced with the same issues and practically the same scenes that Anakin is faced with. Anakin says yes and Luke says no.
- George Lucas "Lucas calls new ‘Star Wars’ film a ‘tearjerker’", Jim Windolf, Vanity Fair, February, 2005.
- We knew that Padmé was going to be pregnant through the whole film, and nobody in the outside world could know that. Because she's pregnant, I wanted a soft quality to be apparent in the fabrics that were used.
- George Lucas "Crafting Revenge," in "An Introduction to Episode III" at StarWars.com; last accessed August 5, 2006.
- Every Story Has A Hero, Every Hero Has A Destiny, Every Saga Has An End.
- Ewan McGregor — Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Natalie Portman — Senator Padmé Amidala
- Hayden Christensen — Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader
- Ian McDiarmid — Supreme Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious
- Samuel L. Jackson — Mace Windu
- Christopher Lee — Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus
- Jimmy Smits — Senator Bail Organa
- Anthony Daniels — C-3PO
- Kenny Baker — R2-D2
- Peter Mayhew — Chewbacca
- Frank Oz — Master Yoda (voice)
- Matthew Wood — General Grievous (voice)
- James Earl Jones — Darth Vader (voice)
The Phantom Menace (1999) · Attack of the Clones (2002) · Revenge of the Sith (2005)
The Force Awakens (2015) · The Last Jedi (2017)