Return of the Jedi
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Return of the Jedi (also known as Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi) is a 1983 space opera film. It is the third and final film of the original Star Wars trilogy. The film is set one year after the Battle of Hoth. Luke Skywalker and members of the Rebel Alliance travel to Tatooine to rescue their friend Han Solo from the vile Jabba the Hutt. Meanwhile, the Galactic Empire plans to crush the Rebellion with a second Death Star while the Rebel fleet simultaneously prepares to launch a full-scale attack on this new space station. Luke confronts his father, Darth Vader, in a final climactic duel before the evil Emperor Palpatine.
- Directed by Richard Marquand. Written by George Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan.
Return To A Galaxy... Far, Far Away (taglines)
- Luke Skywalker has returned to his home planet of Tatooine in an attempt to rescue his friend Han Solo from the clutches of the vile gangster Jabba the Hutt.
Little does Luke know that the GALACTIC EMPIRE has secretly begun construction on a new armored space station even more powerful than the first dreaded Death Star.
When completed, this ultimate weapon will spell certain doom for the small band of rebels struggling to restore freedom to the galaxy...
- The Emperor has made a critical error and the time for our attack has come. The data brought to us by the Bothan spies pinpoints the exact location of the Emperor's new battle station. We also know that the weapon systems on this Death Star are not yet operational. With the Imperial fleet spread throughout the galaxy in a vain effort to engage us, it is relatively unprotected. But most important of all, we have learned that the Emperor himself is personally overseeing the final stages of the construction of his Death Star. Many Bothans died to bring us this information.
- You can see here the Death Star orbiting the forest moon of Endor. Although the weapon systems on this Death Star are not yet operational, the Death Star does have strong defense mechanism. It is protected by an energy shield, which is generated from the nearby forest moon of Endor. The shield must be deactivated if any attack is to be attempted. Once the shield is down, our cruisers will create a perimeter, while the fighters fly into the superstructure and attempt to knock out the main reactor. General Calrissian has volunteered to lead the fighter attack.
- We have stolen a small Imperial shuttle. Disguised as a cargo ship and using a secret Imperial code, a strike team will land on the moon and deactivate the shield generator.
- [Darth Vader steps out of his shuttle on the second Death Star]
- Moff Jerjerrod: Lord Vader, this is an unexpected pleasure. We're honored by your presence.
- Darth Vader: You may dispense with the pleasantries, Commander. I'm here to put you back on schedule.
- Jerjerrod: I assure you, Lord Vader, my men are working as fast they can.
- Vader: Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them.
- Jerjerrod: I tell you, this station will be operational as planned.
- Vader: The Emperor does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation.
- Jerjerrod: But he asks the impossible. I need more men.
- Vader: Then perhaps you can tell him when he arrives.
- Jerjerrod: [alarmed] The Emperor's coming here?
- Vader: That is correct, Commander, and he is most displeased with your apparent lack of progress.
- Jerjerrod: We shall double our efforts.
- Vader: I hope so, Commander, for your sake. The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am.
- [Jabba the Hutt and his entourage catch Leia rescuing Han]
- Han Solo: Hey, Jabba. Look, Jabba, I was just on my way to pay you back, and I got a little sidetracked. It's not my fault...
- Jabba the Hutt: [in Huttese] It's too late for that, Solo. You may have been a good smuggler in the business, but now you're Bantha fodder!
- Han: Look...
- Jabba: [to guards] Take him away.
- Han: [being dragged away by the guards] Jabba... I'll pay you triple. You're throwing away a fortune here! Don't be a fool!
- Jabba: [sees Leia being led away by Lando in disguise] Wait. Bring her to me.
- Leia Organa: [brought to Jabba] We have powerful friends. You're gonna regret this.
- Jabba: [grinning] Of that, I'm sure. But, in the meantime...
- Leia: [seeing Jabba's tongue before her face, turns away in disgust] Ugh!
- C-3PO: [turning his head away] Oh, I can't bear to watch.
- [The Emperor has arrived on the second Death Star]
- The Emperor: [to a kneeling Vader] Rise, my friend.
- Vader: The Death Star will be completed on schedule.
- The Emperor: You have done well, Lord Vader. And now I sense you wish to continue your search for young Skywalker.
- Vader: Yes, my Master.
- The Emperor: Patience, my friend. In time, he will seek you out. And when he does, you must bring him before me. He has grown strong. Only together can we turn him to the dark side of the Force.
- Vader: As you wish.
- The Emperor: Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen. [laughs wickedly]
- [Luke is in Yoda's hut. Yoda is pacing back and forth. Luke is looking at him with a mixture of sadness and pity]
- Yoda: That face, you make. Look I so old to young eyes?
- Luke Skywalker: [hurriedly] No. Of course not.
- Yoda: [chuckles good-naturedly] I do. Yes, I do. Hmm, sick, have I become. Old and weak. [points at Luke] When 900 years old, you reach, look as good, you will not, hmm? [laughs again, coughs, walks over to his bed]. Soon, will I rest, yes. Forever sleep. Earned it, I have. [climbs into his bed and Luke covers him up with his blanket]
- Luke: Master Yoda, you can't die.
- Yoda: Strong, am I, with the Force... but not that strong. Twilight is upon me, and soon, night must fall. That is the way of things... the way of the Force.
- Luke: But I need your help. I've come back to complete the training.
- Yoda: No more training, do you require. Already know you that which you need.
- Luke: Then I am a Jedi.
- Yoda: [coughs trying to speak] Not yet. One thing remains: Vader. You must...confront...Vader. Then, only then, a Jedi, will you be. And confront him, you will.
- Luke: [visibly in agony] Master Yoda... is Darth Vader my father?
- Yoda: [turns away from Luke] Rest, I need. Yes, rest.
- Luke: [pleading] Yoda, I must know.
- Yoda: Your father, he is. [Luke looks away] Told you, did he?
- Luke: Yes.
- Yoda: Unexpected, this is, and unfortunate.
- Luke: [surprised] Unfortunate that I know the truth?
- Yoda: No. [turns to face Luke] Unfortunate that you rushed to face him. That incomplete, was your training. That not ready for the burden, were you.
- Luke: I'm sorry.
- Yoda: [strains to speak as voice gradually grows softer] Remember, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware: Anger, fear, aggression - the dark side, are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. [whispering now] Luke... Luke... do not... [struggles to speak] Do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor... or suffer your father's fate, you will. Luke... [Luke leans in close] ...when gone, am I, the last of the Jedi, will you be. Luke... the Force runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned. Luke... [with great effort] ...There... is... another... Sk... Sky... walker. [Yoda dies, then disappears into thin air]
- [Yoda has passed into The Force, Luke is sitting outside his hut with R2]
- Luke: I can't do it, R2. I can't go on alone.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: [voice emanates from nowhere] Yoda will always be with you.
- Luke: Obi-Wan! [Obi-Wan reveals himself as a Force ghost walking by] Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father.
- Obi-Wan: Your father was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.
- Luke: [incredulously] A certain point of view?
- Obi-Wan: Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. Anakin was a good friend. When I first knew him, your father was already a great pilot. But I was amazed how strongly the Force was with him. I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi. I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong.
- Luke: There is still good in him.
- Obi-Wan: He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil.
- Luke: I can't do it, Ben.
- Obi-Wan: You cannot escape your destiny. You must face Darth Vader again.
- Luke: I can't kill my own father.
- Obi-Wan: [resigned] Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope.
- Luke: Yoda spoke of another.
- Obi-Wan: The other he spoke of is your twin sister.
- Luke: But I have no sister.
- Obi-Wan: [nods] Mm. To protect you both from the Emperor, you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor knew, as I did. If Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remains safely anonymous.
- Luke: [with sudden realization] Leia. Leia's my sister.
- Obi-Wan: Your insight serves you well. Bury your feelings deep down, Luke. They do you credit, but they could be made to serve the Emperor.
- [Han Solo is talking to Lando Calrissian about the Millennium Falcon]
- Han: Look… I want you to take her. I mean it; take her. You need all the help you can get. She's the fastest ship in the fleet!
- Lando Calrissian: All right, old buddy. You know, I know what she means to you. I'll take good care of her, so that she won't get a scratch. All right?
- Han: Right. [starts to leave, but then turns around and looks at Lando] I got your promise. Not a scratch.
- Lando: Would you get going, you pirate? [waves at Han] Good luck.
- Han: You, too.
- [Luke has stepped out of the Ewok party. Leia has joined him]
- Leia: Luke, what's wrong?
- Luke: Leia, do you remember your mother? Your real mother?
- Leia: Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.
- Luke: What do you remember?
- Leia: Just images, really, feelings.
- Luke: Tell me.
- Leia: She was... very beautiful. Kind, but sad. Why are you asking me of this?
- Luke: I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her.
- Leia: Luke, tell me. What's troubling you?
- Luke: Vader's here. Now, on this moon.
- Leia: How do you know?
- Luke: I felt his presence. He's come for me. He can feel when I'm near. That's why I have to go. As long as I stay, I'm endangering the group and our mission here. I have to face him.
- Leia: Why?
- Luke: He's my father.
- Leia: [shocked] Your father?
- Luke: There's more. It won't be easy for you to hear it, but you must. If I don't make it back, you're the only hope for the Alliance.
- Leia: Luke, don't talk that way. You have a power I don't understand and could never have.
- Luke: You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time you'll learn to use it as I have. The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it, and... [looks directly at Leia] My sister has it. [waits for the words to sink in] Yes. It's you, Leia.
- Leia: [astonished] I know. Somehow, I've always known.
- Luke: Then you know why I have to face him.
- Leia: No. Luke, run away, far away. If he can feel your presence, then leave this place. I wish I could go with you.
- Luke: No, you don't. You've always been strong.
- Leia: But why must you confront him?
- Luke: Because there is good in him, I've felt it. He won't turn me over to the Emperor. I can save him; I can turn him back to the good side. I have to try. [kisses Leia on the cheek, then leaves]
- Han: [walking up to Leia after seeing Luke leaving] Hey, what's going on?
- Leia: Nothing. I just want to be alone for a little while.
- Han: Nothing? Come on, tell me. What's going on?
- Leia: [not wanting to spit out] I...I can't tell you.
- Han: [angrily] What? Could you tell Luke? Is that who you could tell?
- Leia I...
- [Han was about to storm out, but stops when he hears Leia crying silently. He comes back to her.
- Han: [softly] I'm sorry.
- Leia: Hold me. [Han hugs her gently]
- [Luke surrenders himself to Darth Vader]
- Imperial commander: This is the Rebel that surrendered to us. Although he denies it, I believe there may be more of them, and I request permission to conduct a further search of the area. [hands over Luke Skywalker's lightsaber to Vader] He was armed, only with this.
- Vader: [takes Luke's lightsaber from the commander and congratulates him] Good work, Commander. Leave us. Conduct your search and bring his companions to me.
- Imperial commander: Yes, my Lord. [leaves with a squad of stormtroopers to conduct the search for the other Rebels]
- Vader: The Emperor has been expecting you.
- Luke: I know, father.
- Vader: So, you have accepted the truth.
- Luke: I've accepted the truth that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father.
- Vader: [angrily retorts] That name no longer has any meaning for me.
- Luke: It is the name of your true self. You've only forgotten. I know there is good in you. The Emperor hasn't driven it from you fully. [steps off to the side of the passageway, away from Vader] That was why you couldn't destroy me. That's why you won't bring me to your Emperor now.
- Vader: [inspects Luke's lightsaber and activates it] I see you have constructed a new lightsaber. Your skills are complete. [deactivates the lightsaber] Indeed you are powerful, as the Emperor has foreseen.
- Luke: Come with me.
- Vader: Obi-Wan once thought as you do. You don't know the power of the dark side! I must obey my master.
- Luke: I will not turn. And you'll be forced to kill me.
- Vader: If that is your destiny.
- Luke: Search your feelings, father. You can't do this. I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate.
- Vader: It is too late for me, son. The Emperor will show you the true nature of the Force. He is your master now.
- Luke: [resigned] Then my father is truly dead.
- The Emperor: Welcome, young Skywalker, I have been expecting you. You no longer need those. [uses the Force to detach Luke's cuffs] Guards, leave us. [the Emperor's guards leave the room] I'm looking forward to completing your training. In time, you will call me "Master".
- Luke: You're gravely mistaken. You won't convert me as you did my father.
- The Emperor: Oh, no, my young Jedi. You will find that it is you who are mistaken, about a great many things.
- Vader: [hands Luke's lightsaber to the Emperor] His lightsaber.
- The Emperor: Ah, yes, a Jedi's weapon, much like your father's. By now you must know that your father can never be turned from the dark side. So will it be with you.
- Luke: You're wrong. Soon I'll be dead, and you with me.
- The Emperor: [chuckling evilly] Perhaps you refer to the imminent attack of your Rebel fleet? Yes; I assure you, we are quite safe from your friends here.
- Luke: Your overconfidence is your weakness.
- The Emperor: [looks back at Luke] Your faith in your friends is yours.
- Vader: It is pointless to resist, my son.
- The Emperor: Everything that has transpired has done so, according to my design. Your friends, out there on the sanctuary moon, are walking into a trap, as is your Rebel fleet. It was I who allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best troops awaits them. [mockingly] Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive.
- Admiral Ackbar: Take evasive action. Green Group, stay close to holding sector MD-7.
- Crewman: Admiral, we have enemy ships in sector 47!
- Ackbar: It's a trap!
- Vader: [searching for Luke in the Emperor's chamber] You cannot hide forever, Luke.
- Luke: I will not fight you.
- Vader: Give yourself to the dark side. It is the only way you can save your friends. Yes, your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong. Especially for... [pauses] Sister. So, you have a twin sister. Your feelings have now betrayed her, too. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete. If you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will.
- Luke: [revealing himself] NEVER!!! [attacks Vader ferociously, eventually backing him onto a railing and cutting off his right hand. He stands over Vader for a moment.]
- The Emperor: [laughing] Good! Your hate has made you powerful. Now, fulfill your destiny and take your father's place at my side.
- Luke: [looks at Vader's severed hand, then turns to face the Emperor, throwing away his lightsaber] Never. I'll never turn to the dark side. You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me.
- The Emperor: [angrily] So be it... Jedi.
- [Luke refuses to give in to the Emperor's demands and disarms himself]
- The Emperor: [raising his hands toward Luke] If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed. [Fires lightning bolts at Luke, causing him to fall to the floor in agony. Darth Vader gets up and stands next to the Emperor, watching.] Young fool. Only now, at the end, do you understand. [shoots another round of lightning] Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the dark side. You have paid the price for your lack of vision. [continues shooting lightning]
- Luke: [writhing in agony] Father, please! Help me!
- The Emperor: Now, young Skywalker... you will die. [intensifies lightning blasts]
- Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker: [looks back and forth at Luke and the Emperor] No. NOOOOOO!!!!! [grabs the Emperor from behind and throws him down into the reactor shaft]
- [A redeemed Anakin Skywalker is dying in Luke's arms]
- Anakin Skywalker: Luke, help me take this mask off.
- Luke: But you'll die.
- Anakin: Nothing.... can stop that now. Just for once, let me....look on you with my own eyes. [Luke carefully removes Vader's mask to reveal Anakin's disfigured face underneath.] Now...go, my son. Leave me.
- Luke: No. You're coming with me. I'm not leaving you here. I've got to save you.
- Anakin: [smiles] You already have, Luke. You were right. You were right about me. Tell your sister...you were right. [dies]
- Luke: Father... I won't leave you.
About Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars meant a lot to young people around the world – young people who were around six, seven and eight years old, and older as well. Those people grew up. So when they saw The Empire Strikes Back, they were a little bit more mature. By the time I came along to direct Return Of The Jedi, they were 18. 19 and 20.
- I have a son who’s about your age and part of the Star Wars generation. So he was my most intimate link to the Star Wars saga. So that meant that what I was able to bring to the Star Wars saga, which the other directors couldn’t since they were dealing with a younger generation, was a certain kind of modern maturity, which you couldn’t have had in Star Wars [Episode IV], because you would have lost a lot of people. I was able to entertain the little kids with the Ewoks and all the stuff that made them feel safe, but I was able, at the same time, to give young adults the kind of things they’re looking for, which is a lot of excitement, a lot of showmanship. But they are also looking for true relationships and genuine emotions. I think that’s what has always been in the Star Wars saga, but I was really able to bring that out and make it work. I think that’s what Return Of The Jedi had that the others didn’t have. I’m not criticising the others: they simply weren’t ready for it.
- Richard Marquand, Interviews:Return of The Jedi, Star Wars, Jules-Pierre Malartre, Den of Geek, 25 June 2013.
- Return to a galaxy... far, far away.
- The saga continues...
- The Empire falls...
- Coming May 25, 1983 to your galaxy. [Second Advance poster]
- Mark Hamill — Luke Skywalker
- Harrison Ford — Han Solo
- Carrie Fisher — Leia Organa
- Billy Dee Williams — Lando Calrissian
- Anthony Daniels — C-3PO
- Peter Mayhew — Chewbacca
- Sebastian Shaw/Hayden Christensen — Anakin Skywalker
- Ian McDiarmid — Emperor Palpatine
- David Prowse — Darth Vader
- Alec Guinness — Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Frank Oz — Yoda
- James Earl Jones — Darth Vader
Star Wars : Star Wars (1977) · The Empire Strikes Back (1980) · Return of the Jedi (1983)
The Phantom Menace (1999) · Attack of the Clones (2002) · Revenge of the Sith (2005)
The Force Awakens (2015) · Rogue One (2016) · The Last Jedi (2017)
Solo (2018) · The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
The Phantom Menace (1999) · Attack of the Clones (2002) · Revenge of the Sith (2005)
The Force Awakens (2015) · Rogue One (2016) · The Last Jedi (2017)
Solo (2018) · The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
- Return of the Jedi quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- Return of the Jedi at Rotten Tomatoes