Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (also known as Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker) is a 2019 American epic space opera film directed by J. J. Abrams, and written by J.J. Abrams and Chris Terrio. It is the third and last film in the Star Wars sequel trilogy, following Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017).
- The dead speak! The galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE.
GENERAL LEIA ORGANA dispatches secret agents to gather intelligence, while REY, the last hope of the Jedi, trains for battle against the diabolical FIRST ORDER.
Meanwhile, Supreme Leader KYLO REN rages in search of the phantom Emperor, determined to destroy any threat to his power....
- Palpatine: At last. Snoke trained you well.
- Kylo Ren: [trying to hide his fear] I killed Snoke. I'll kill you.
- Palpatine: My boy... I made Snoke. I have been every voice [as Snoke] you have ever heard [as Darth Vader] inside your head! [breathes] The First Order was just the beginning. I will give you so much more.
- Ren: [still trying to hide his fear] You'll die first.
- Palpatine: I have died before. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... [lightning flashes, revealing Palpatine's decaying face] unnatural.
- Ren: [raises his lightsaber at Palpatine] What could you give me?
- Palpatine: Everything... a new Empire. [raises his decaying hands, with electricity surging between his fingers. Suddenly, multiple Xyston-class Star Destroyers rise from the ground] The might of the Final Order will soon be ready. It will be yours if you do as I ask: Kill the girl, end the Jedi, and become what your grandfather, Vader, could not. You will rule all the galaxy as the new Emperor. But beware: she is not who you think she is.
- Ren: [a bit confused] Who is she? [Palpatine smiles sinisterly]
- [On the jungle world of Ajan Kloss, Rey is practicing using the Force with Leia training her]
- Rey: Be with me. Be with me. Be with me. [opens her eyes] They're not with me.
- General Leia Organa: Rey, be patient.
- Rey: I'm starting to think it's impossible to hear the voices of the Jedi who came before.
- Leia: Nothing is impossible.
- Rey: "Nothing is impossible." I'm going to run the training course.
- Rey: Why did the Emperor come for me? Why did he want to kill a child? Tell me.
- Ren: Because he saw what you would become. You don't just have power. You have his power. You're his granddaughter. You... are a Palpatine. My mother was the daughter of Vader. Your father was the son of the Emperor. What Palpatine doesn't know is that we're a dyad in the Force, Rey. Two that are one. We'll kill him, together, and take the throne.
- Poe: [to Zorii] How long's it been like this?
- Zorii: First Order took most of the kids a long time ago. Can't stand the cries anymore. I've saved up enough to get out. I'm going to the Colonies.
- Poe: How? All those hyperlanes are blocked. That's the First Order Captain's medallion. I've never seen a real one.
- Zorii: Free passage through any blockade. Landing privileges, any vessel. [removes part of the helmet, revealing her eyes] Wanna come with me?
- Poe: [sighs] I can't walk out on this war. Not till it's over. Maybe it is. We sent out a call for help at the Battle of Crait. Nobody came. Everyone's so afraid. They've given up.
- Zorii: I don't believe you believe that. Hey... they win by making you think you're alone, remember? There's more of us.
- [Having ensured Finn and Poe got away with Chewie, General Hux shows up before Allegiant General Pryde walking on a cane and his leg wound]
- General Hux: It was a coordinated incursion, Allegiant General. They overpowered the guards and forced me to take them to their ship.
- Allegiant General Pryde: I see. [to female aide] Get me the Supreme Leader.
- Aide: Yes sir.
- Pryde: [takes a stormtrooper's blaster, kills Hux, and gives the stormtrooper his weapon back; to aide] Tell him we found our spy.
- [Kylo Ren is spent after fighting Rey, who just left]
- Han: Hey, kid. [Ben turns to Han Solo as a memory] I miss you, son.
- Ben: Your son is dead.
- Han: No... Kylo Ren is dead. My son is alive.
- Ben: You're just a memory.
- Han: Your memory. Come home.
- Ben: It's too late. She's gone.
- Han: Your mother's gone. But what she stood for, what she fought for... that's not gone. Ben...
- Ben: I know what I have to do, but I don't know if I have the strength to do it.
- Han: You do.
- Ben: Dad...?
- Han: I know.
- [Ben throws his lightsaber into the sea, then turns back around, only to see that Han has vanished.]
- [Poe Dameron grieves for the loss of General Leia Organa]
- Poe: I gotta tell you, I don't really know... how to do this. What you did. I'm not ready.
- Lando Calrissian: Neither were we. Luke, Han, Leia and me. Who's ever ready?
- Poe: How did you do it? Defeat an Empire with almost... nothing?
- Lando: We had each other. That's how we won.
- [at Ahch-To, Rey throws away her lightsaber into the flaming wreckage of Kylo's TIE whisper, but a hand reaches out and grabs it. It turns out to be Luke Skywalker as a Force spirit, who steps casually forward]
- Luke Skywalker: A Jedi's weapon deserves more respect.
- Rey: [surprised] Master Skywalker!
- Luke: What are you doing?
- Rey: I saw myself on the dark throne. I won't let it happen. I'm never leaving this place. I'm doing what you did.
- Luke: I was wrong. It was fear that kept me here. What are you most afraid of?
- Rey: [after a long pause] Myself.
- Luke: Because you're a Palpatine? Leia knew it, too.
- Rey: She didn't tell me. [Luke sits beside her] And she still trained me.
- Luke: Because she saw your spirit. Your heart. Rey, some things are stronger than blood. Confronting fear is the destiny of a Jedi. Your destiny. If you don't face Palpatine, it will mean the end of the Jedi, and the war will be lost. There's something my sister would want you to have.
- Rey: Leia's saber.
- Luke: It was the last night of her training. Leia told me that she had sensed the death of her son at the end of her Jedi path. She surrendered her saber to me and said that one day, it would be picked up again by someone who would finish her journey. A thousand generations live in you now. But this is your fight.
- Palpatine: The time has come! With your hatred, you will take my life, and you will ascend.
- Rey: [through gritted teeth] All you want is for me to hate, but I won't. Not even you.
- Palpatine: [annoyed] Weak, like your parents.
- Rey: My parents were strong. They saved me from you.
- Palpatine: Your master, Luke Skywalker, was saved by his father. The only family you have here...is me. [shows Rey the Resistance fighting with the Sith Eternal forces] They don't have long. No one is coming to help them. And you are the one who led them here. Strike me down. Take the throne. Reign over a new Empire, and the fleet will be yours! Only you have the power to save them. Refuse, and your new family dies. [an emotional Rey nods reluctantly] Good.
- Poe: Snap, they're on your tail!
- Snap Wexley: Yeah, I see it!
- Poe: No, no! Snap! Snap! [a Sith TIE fighter shoots down Snap's X-wing] NO!!! [Snap's X-wing crashes and explodes] My friends, I'm sorry, I thought we had a shot, there is just too many of them.
- Lando Calrissian: But there are more of us, Poe. There are more of us.
- Poe: [notices a massively large fleet coming in, led by Lando] Look at this... look at this!
- [Rey visits the old Lars homestead on Tatooine]
- Tatooine Elder: There's been no one for so long. Who are you?
- Rey: I'm Rey.
- Tatooine Elder: Rey who?
- Rey: [looks to the horizon, where Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa's watching her; to woman] Rey Skywalker.
- Carrie Fisher as General Leia Organa (archive footage)
- Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker
- Adam Driver as Kylo Ren/Ben Solo
- Daisy Ridley as Rey
- John Boyega as Finn
- Oscar Isaac as Poe Dameron
- Anthony Daniels as C-3PO
- Naomi Ackie as Jannah
- Domhnall Gleeson as General Hux
- Richard E. Grant as Allegiant General Pryde
- Lupita Nyong'o as Maz Kanata
- Keri Russell as Zorii Bliss
- Joonas Suotamo as Chewbacca
- Kelly Marie Tran as Rose Tico
- Ian McDiarmid as Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious
- Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian
The Phantom Menace (1999) · Attack of the Clones (2002) · Revenge of the Sith (2005)
The Force Awakens (2015) · Rogue One (2016) · The Last Jedi (2017)
Solo (2018) · The Rise of Skywalker (2019)