|This Geography article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- The Swiss are offended by being called gentlemen, and prove themselves true plebeians in order to be thought worthy of great office.
- Blaise Pascal PENSÉES 305
- In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed - they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love and five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock!
- Switzerland is a small, steep country, much more up and down than sideways, and is all stuck over with large brown hotels built on the cuckoo clock style of architecture.
- Ernest Hemingway, The Toronto Star Weekly (4 March 1922)
- Switzerland is only bearable covered with snow...like some people are only bearable under a sheet
- Graham Greene, "travels with my aunt"