Eric Dolphy quote
I don't have an authoritative reference, but the context for the "foot" quote is said to have been a blindfold test, with Miles commenting on the song "On Green Dolphin Street" from the Eric Dolpy Quintet album Outward Bound (1960).
Choking a white man quote
Can anyone find a reference for this other than one from a white supremacy website?
There's a reference from Jet in 1985 that refers to a "recent USA Today article."
- In a recent USA Today article, reporter Miles White quotes Davis as saying: "If somebody told me I only had one hour to live, I'd spend it choking a White man. I'd do it nice and slow." But the veteran musician added, "The only White people I don't like are the prejudiced White people. Those the shoe don't fit, well, they don't wear it."
Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable and precise source for any quote on this list please move it to Miles Davis.
- If somebody told me I only had an hour to live, I'd spend it choking a white man. I'd do it nice and slow.
- During an interview, after growing aggravated about questions on the subject of race.
- A legend is an old man with a cane known for what he used to do. I'm still doing it.
- On being called a legend.
- Jazz is like blues with a shot of heroin
- Who's that motherfucker? He can't play shit!
- on Cecil Taylor
- You a motherfucker.
- a compliment to Chick Corea, who thought he was about to be fired.
- He plays like somebody is standing on his foot.
- on Eric Dolphy
- He could very well be the Duke Ellington of Rock 'n' Roll.
- on Prince
- Why'd you put that white bitch on there?
- "You can't play anything on a horn that Louis hasn't played." and "I love Pops" (Louis' nickname)
- on Louis Armstrong in a Playboy magazine interview.
- I’ll play it and tell you what it is later.
- During a recording session for Prestige, on the album "Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet" (1956).
- Listen baby, when I say later, I mean it! Later!
- After being approached by a relentless interviewer.
- There are no wrong notes.
- My ego only needs a good rhythm section.
- On being asked what he looked for in musicians.
- When you are creating your own shit, man, even the sky ain't the limit.
- Try taking the fucking horn out of your mouth.
- Davis was questioning the increasing length of John Coltrane solos, and Trane answered "I don't know how to stop."
- Don't play what's there, play what's not there.