Jump to navigation Jump to search
I removed the Nietzsche quote on the first page. It seemed to me that it had more to do with Christianity than with morality. I added it under the 20th century section of of the Christianity page, however. It's viewable there if anyone needs it.
- The moral and religious system which Jesus Christ transmitted to us is the best the world has ever seen, or can see.
- Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
- In cases of doubtful morality, it is usual to say, Is there any harm in doing this? This question may sometimes be best answered by asking ourselves another: Is there any harm in letting it alone?
- I do not believe in the immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern without any superhuman authority behind it.
- A man's moral conscience is the curse he had to accept from the gods in order to gain from them the right to dream.
- To give a man a full knowledge of true morality, I would send him to no other book than the New Testament.
- Morality is largely a matter of geography.
- The quality of moral behaviour varies in inverse ratio to the number of human beings involved.
- Of all the systems of morality, ancient or modern which have come under my observation, none appears to me so pure as that of Jesus.
- Ten men have failed from defect in morals where one has failed from defect in intellect.
- To denounce moralizing out of hand is to pronounce a moral judgment.
- Morality is the best of all devices for leading mankind by the nose.
- We have in fact, two kinds of morality, side by side: one that we preach, but do not practice, and another that we practice, but seldom preach.
- Ethics, too, are nothing but reverence for life. That is what gives me the fundamental principle of morality, namely, that good ;consists in maintaining, promoting, and enhancing life, and that destroying, injuring, and limiting life are evil.
- French morality is not of that strait-laced description which is shocked at trifles.
- Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.
- All sects are different, because they come from men; morality is everywhere the same, because it comes from God.
- Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.
- Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people whom we personally dislike.
- Oscar Wilde, Variant: Morality is simply the attitude we adopt to people we personally dislike.
Excessive obscure quotes and pov pushing
These quotes by Mekhala (who is of doubtful notability, he has no wikipedia page) were recently added , the quotes are obscure and only published once in a news blog. (NewsClick website blog)
The quote is also in about 10 other wikiquote articles.
This is a high level article. This article should have more quotes from books, rather than websites or newspapers, that have timeless quotability. --დამოკიდებულება (talk) 10:25, 3 October 2020 (UTC)