Jump to navigation Jump to search
Article changed direction?
Some of the quotes no longer reflect the intro of this article. For example:
* The White Rabbit put on his spectacles. 'Where shall I begin, please your Majesty?' he asked.
'Begin at the beginning,' the King said gravely, 'and go on till you come to the end: then stop.' ** Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1865).
- I would agree - and I've moved quotes that do not appear to pertain to the topic of this page to the talk page. Most seem to be about new beginnings or starting on something, but not really about the New Year. ~ UDScott (talk) 19:50, 2 January 2021 (UTC)
Quotes that do not appear to fit the topic of this page
- It is wise to draw a line between past and future. It is impossible to calculate all that has been done—it is incommensurable. It is better to say: “Yesterday is past; let us learn how to meet a new dawn.” We all grow, and our works are expanding with us... It is unworthy to rummage in yesterday’s dust...
- Agni Yoga, New Era Community, #81, (1926)
- All have heard about the coming of the New Era. Can the new arrive in inaction? It is better to welcome a new blind puppy than an aged parrot that repeats old things.
- Agni Yoga, Agni Yoga, 142. (1929)
- Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
- Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, circa AD 171–175
- What I cannot do now is the sign of what I shall do hereafter. The sense of impossibility is the beginning of all possibilities. Because this temporal universe was a paradox and an impossibility, therefore the Eternal created it out of His being.
- Sri Aurobindo, in Thoughts and Glimpses (1916-17)
- I never look back, darling; it distracts from the now.
- Brad Bird, in lines for Edna Mode in The Incredibles (2004)
- The White Rabbit put on his spectacles. 'Where shall I begin, please your Majesty?' he asked.
'Begin at the beginning,' the King said gravely, 'and go on till you come to the end: then stop.'
- In all matters, before beginning, a diligent preparation should be made.
- Cicero, De Officiis (44 B.C.), I. 21.
- People are capable, at any time in their lives, of doing what they dream of.
- A bad beginning makes a bad ending.
- Euripides Æolus, Frag. 32.
- Peace requires the force of meekness, the force of nonviolence of truth and of love. We are also called to acknowledge the violence and injustices present in many places around the world, and we cannot allow ourselves to be indifferent and immobile. Everyone must work to build a society of solidarity and one that is truly more just.
- Pope Francis New Year Messages, National Catholic Register (January 2015)
- There are mothers, who risk perilous journeys to desperately try to give the fruit of the womb a better future and are judged to be redundant by people whose bellies are full of things, but whose hearts are empty of love.
- Pope Francis, On New Year, Pope Wishes the Faithful a 2020 of Peace, Voice of America, (1 January 2020)
- I will be as harsh as truth and as uncompromising as justice.
- William Lloyd Garrison, Salutatory of the Liberator, Volume I. No. 1. (1 January 1831).
- If an individual were to make conscious intention to live his or her life with a sense of purpose, live it in a good way, then the ripple effect of that really spreads. First, from the individual to the family, then to the community… and so on. This is how society gets changed and effected.
- Nor cast one longing, ling'ring look behind.
- Thomas Gray, Elegy in a Country Churchyard, Stanza 22, as reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 668-69.
- Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work.
- Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, (1999)
- What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't even happened yet.
- Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl, (1947)
- You may be whatever you resolve to be. Determine to be something in the world, and you will be something. I cannot, never accomplished anything: I will try, has wrought wonders.
- Joel Hawes, as quoted in "Thoughts on the Business of Life" at forbes.com.
- I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. so good night!
- Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
- Helen Keller, Let Us Have Faith, (1940)
- There are better things ahead than any we leave behind.
- C.S. Lewis, Letters to an American Lady, (1967)
- Resolve, and thou art free.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Masque of Pandora (1875), Part VI : In the Garden.
- In life's small things be resolute and great
To keep thy muscle trained: know'st thou when Fate
Thy measure takes, or when she'll say to thee,
"I find thee worthy; do this deed for me?"
- James Russell Lowell, Epigram, as reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 668-69.
- The beginning is the most important part of the work.
- Plato, The Republic, (375 B.C.)
- You just have to keep moving forward. You just have to keep doing something, seizing the next opportunity, staying open to trying something new. It doesn't have to fit your vision of the perfect job or the perfect life.
- Shonda Rhimes, Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand in the Sun and Be Your Own Person, (2015)
- Be stirring as the time; be fire with fire;
Threaten the threat'ner and outface the brow
Of bragging horror: so shall inferior eyes,
That borrow their behaviours from the great,
Grow great by your example and put on
The dauntless spirit of resolution.
- You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?'"
- George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah, (1921)
- The distance is nothing; it is only the first step that costs.
- No matter how far away from yourself you may have strayed, there is always a path back. You already know who you are and how to fulfill your destiny.
- Oprah Winfrey, The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose, (2019)