- There is no substitute for hard work.
- Great ideas originate in the muscles.
- If you behave as if the meaning of our life consisted in being able to work so many hours a day, you rake away from all sick people the right to live and the justification for their existence.
- Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success.
- No other technique for the conduct of life attaches the individual so firmly to reality as laying emphasis on work; for his work at least gives him a secure place in a portion of reality, in the human community.
- The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get into the office.
- The reason why worry kills more people than work is that more people worry than work.
- Lose this day loitering, 'Twill be the same story Tomorrow — and the next more dilatory. Then indecision brings its own delays, and days are lost lamenting overdays! Are you ernest? Seize this very minute! What you can do, or dream you can — begin it! Courage has genius, power and magic in it. Only engage, and the mind grows heated. Begin it, and the work will be completed.
- It is one of the strange ironies of this strange life — those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest people.
- Experience is an asset of which no worker can be cheated, no matter how selfish or greedy his immediate employer may be.
- Individual commitment to a group effort — that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.
- The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender.
- Hard work is damn near as overrated as monogamy.
- When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'
- I have never known a man who died from overwork, but many who died from doubt.
- Let us realize that the privilege to work is a gift, that power to work is a blessing, that love of work is success.
- If you don't want to work you have to work to earn enough money so that you won't have to work.
- Everything in this world depends on work.
- You must always work not just within but below your means If you can handle three elements, handle only two. If you can handle ten, then handle only five. In that way the ones you do handle, you handle with more ease, more mastery, and you create a feeling of strength in reserve.
- The phrase "working mother" is redundant.
- The greatest analgesic, soporific, stimulant, tranquilizer, narcotic, and to some extent even antibiotic — in short, the closest thing to a genuine panacea — known to medical science is work.
- The biggest mistake we could ever make in our lives is to think we work for anybody but ourselves.
- If work were so pleasant, the rich would keep it for themselves.
- Work purifies your heart.
- It's not true that the more sex that you have, the more it interferes with your work. I find that the more sex you have, the better work you do.
- I don't believe people die from hard work. They die from stress and worry and fear — the negative emotions. Those are the killers, not hard work. The fact is, in our society today, most people don't understand what hard work is all about.
- Sorted alphabetically by first line
- Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
- Anonymous proverb, often attributed to Confucius.
- Variant: If you love what you do, you'll never have to work a day in your life.
- Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your work with excellence.
- First secure an independent income, then practice virtue.
- If a man does only what is required of him, he is a slave. If a man does more than is required of him, he is a free man.
- The dumber you are the less they make you do.
- Work is for people who can't fish.