Thanos is a fictional character that appears in Marvel Comics publications. The character's name is a derivation of Thanatos, the personification of death and mortality in Greek mythology. Thanos first appears in Iron Man #55 (vol. 1, Feb. 1973) and was created by Jim Starlin.
- 1 Quotes
- 1.1 Comics
- 1.2 Marvel Cinematic Universe
- 1.3 Marvel Animated Adaptations
- 2 External links
- Let the heavens run red with blood, but in the end as always Thanos stands triumphant.
- Silver Surfer, Vol. 3, # 26
The Thanos Quest (1990)
- Written by Jim Starlin
- My name is Thanos, and my name means Immortality.
- Book 1
The Infinity Gauntlet (1991)
- Written by Jim Starlin
- I now hold omnipotence. What should I do with such almighty power? The answer to that is actually quite simple: Anything I want.
Anything. I am incapable of error. Any result that displeases me I can simply reverse. There is nothing I need to worry on, for I am Thanos. And Thanos is supreme. Supreme.
- Am I not Thanos?! Did I not butcher the woman who gave me birth, who force-fed me into this hell called life?!
Is not the wake of my passing crimson with the blood of my enemies and allies alike?!
Death is with me every second of the day! My every moment is spent in either dealing out death or worshipping it! So tell me, who under the stars is better suited than I to be Death's consort?
- The Universe will now be set right. Made over to fit my unique view of what should be. Let Nihilism reign supreme!
- Issue 2 : From Bad to Worse
- I would prefer death to imprisonment! Pride: my one fatal flaw.
- To the gathered heroes, as he fakes his own death after losing the Infinity Gauntlet to Adam Warlock, in Issue 6 : The Final Confrontation
- I should have known I couldn't fool you.
- To Adam Warlock, who comes to visit him in his hiding place, in Issue 6 : The Final Confrontation
- Adam Warlock, a being who wished nothing more than to spend the rest of his days within the peaceful environment of the Soul Gem. He now possesses the Infinite Power and the responsibility that goes with it. While I, whose entire life was dedicated to the pursuit of power, now find myself scraping out a living from the soil. Irony worthy of the drama.
Yet strangely enough though, I envy not Adam Warlock.
Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal.
- To himself at the close of Issue 6 : The Final Confrontation
Marvel Cinematic Universe
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
- Your politics bore me. Your demeanor is that of a pouty child.
- To Ronan the Accuser
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
- Fine, I'll do it myself
- To himself as the close of Age of Ultron
Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
- In time, you will know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right, yet to fail, all the same. Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives.
- To the Avengers in the Infinity War trailer
- The end is near, and when I'm done, half of humanity will still exist. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be...and I hope they remember you.
- To Tony Stark in the Infinity War trailer